Suggestions quotes

• My object to venture the suggestion that an important application of phonetics to metrical problems lies in the study of phonetic word-structure.
    -- Adelaide Crapsey

#Lying #Important #Suggestions

• I expect we shall be told, that the Militia of the country is its natural bulwark, and would be at all times equal to the national defence...The facts, which from our own experience forbid a reliance of this kind, are too recent to permit us to be the dupes of such a suggestion.
    -- Alexander Hamilton

#Country #People #Suggestions

• If you're going to knock down my suggestion, you'd better have one to replace it.
    -- Alexandra Bracken

#Suggestions

• Apart from blunt truth, our lives sink decadently amid the perfume of hints and suggestions.
    -- Alfred North Whitehead

#Life #Suggestions #Hints

• When common objects in this way be come charged with the suggestion of horror, they stimulate the imagination far more than things of unusual appearance; and these bushes, crowding huddled about us, assumed for me in the darkness a bizarre grotesquerie of appearance that lent to them somehow the aspect of purposeful and living creatures. Their very ordinariness, I felt, masked what was malignant and hostile to us.
    -- Algernon Blackwood

#Imagination #Darkness #Suggestions

• Idea-assassins rush forward to kill any new suggestion on the grounds of its impracticality, while defending whatever now exists as practical, no matter how absurd.
    -- Alvin Toffler

#Ideas #Suggestions #Assassins

• I'd asked around 10 or 15 people for suggestions. Finally one lady friend asked the right question, 'Well, what do you love most?' That's how I started painting money.
    -- Andy Warhol

#Money #People #Suggestions

• I thought that by saying no and explaining my reasons my employer would abandon his social suggestions. However, to my regret, in the following few weeks, he continued to ask me out on several occasions
    -- Anita Hill

#Regret #Suggestions #Saying No

• Poetry operates by hints and dark suggestions. It is full of secrets and hidden formulae, like a witch's brew.
    -- Anthony Hecht

#Dark #Secret #Suggestions

• Nature is just enough; but men and women must comprehend and accept her suggestions.
    -- Antoinette Brown Blackwell

#Acceptance #Men #Suggestions

• Having had the good fortune to serve beside her on both courts, I can attest that her opinions are always thoroughly considered, always carefully crafted and almost always correct (which is to say we sometimes disagree). That much is apparent for all to see. What only her colleagues know is that her suggestions improve the opinions the rest of us write, and that she is a source of collegiality and good judgment in all our work.
    -- Antonin Scalia

#Writing #Suggestions #Opinion

• The compromise will always be more expensive than either of the suggestions it is compromising.
    -- Arthur Bloch

#Suggestions #Compromise

• Among all forms of mentation, verbal thinking is the most articulate, the most complex, and the most vulnerable to infectious diseases. It is liable to absorb whispered suggestions, and to incorporate them as hidden persuaders into the code.
    -- Arthur Koestler

#Thinking #Suggestions #Disease

• After writing each novel, I would spend days poring over suggestions from my editor.
    -- Ashwin Sanghi

#Writing #Editors #Suggestions

• I’m not too into the trends - I like to look at trends as suggestions, not as rules.
    -- Bethany Mota

#Suggestions #Looks #Trends

• There's more evil in the charts than an Al-Qaeda suggestion box.
    -- Bill Bailey

#Evil #Suggestions #Als

• My suggestion is that we should first work to ensure the Third World has clean drinking water and sanitation.
    -- Bjorn Lomborg

#Drinking #Water #Suggestions

• Because of Watergate in part, I am kind of a magnet for calls and information and suggestions.
    -- Bob Woodward

#Suggestions #Literature #Information

• I have a bad habit of inserting my ideas into shots and things. I don't know, I don't hold back on suggesting things, but I don't have any connection to what actually happens, so I'll make a suggestion on something and then just let it go.
    -- Bryan Cranston

#Ideas #Let It Go #Suggestions

• I did not ask for objections, but for comments, or helpful suggestions. I looked for more loyalty from you, Captain Hornblower.' That made the whole argument pointless. If Leighton only wanted servile agreement there was no sense in continuing...
    -- C. S. Forester

#Loyalty #Agreement #Suggestions

• [In plotting earthquake measurements] the range between the largest and smallest magnitudes seemed unmanageably large. Dr. Beno Gutenberg then made the natural suggestion to plot the amplitudes logarithmically.
    -- Charles Francis Richter

#Earthquakes #Suggestions #Gutenberg

• Over the next four years, I will continue to listen to different views and accept different suggestions.
    -- Chen Shui-bian

#Views #Years #Suggestions

• Like any corporation, I have the benefit of the brainpower of everyone who is working for me. It all ends up being my work, the corporate me, but everyone extends ideas and comes up with suggestions.
    -- Chuck Close

#Photography #Ideas #Suggestions

• Anyone can negatively criticize - it is the cheapest of all comment because it requires not a modicum of the effort that suggestion requires.
    -- Chuck Jones

#Effort #Suggestions #Criticize

• I think a dream is just a suggestion to start something out, do something.
    -- Colonel Sanders

#Dream #Thinking #Suggestions

• L’architecture est art de suggestion.
    -- Daniel Pennac

#Art #Suggestions #Architecture

• I will say yes to every favor, request, suggestion and invitation. I will swear to say yes where once I would say no.
    -- Danny Wallace

#Favors #Suggestions #Request

• With the movies, people are not going to wait around. The deadline is a deadline. In publishing it's more a polite suggestion.
    -- David Benioff

#People #Waiting #Suggestions

• Despite the unrivaled empirical success of quantum theory, the very suggestion that it may be literally true as a description of nature is still greeted with cynicism, incomprehension, and even anger.
    -- David Deutsch

#Suggestions #May #Cynicism

• It's so important to experience what your customers are experiencing and listen to their suggestions.
    -- David Neeleman

#Important #Suggestions

• Perhaps most ridiculous of all is the suggestion that we 'keep' our radioactive garbage for the use of our descendants. This 'solution', I think, requires an immediate poll of the next 20,000 generations.
    -- David R. Brower

#Thinking #Suggestions #Generations

• I would have assumed you understood, despite our vague suggestions otherwise, we do not welcome constructive criticism.
    -- David Thorne

#Criticism #Suggestions #Welcome

• Joe DiMaggio batting sometimes gave the impression, the suggestion that the old rules and dimensions of baseball no longer applied to him, and that the game had at last grown unfairly easy.
    -- Donald Hall

#Baseball #Games #Suggestions

• A belief in God is vitally important, not just in show business, but stability in life. You know, to recognize deity is the most important thing that you can do. I mean, it comes to the Ten Commandments. They weren't ten suggestions. They were Ten Commandments.
    -- Donny Osmond

#Mean #Important #Suggestions

• We don't criticize. Criticism is an enemy. You've got to make loving, positive suggestions.
    -- Dorothy Sarnoff

#Enemy #Criticism #Suggestions

• The propaganda system allows the U.S. Ieadership to commit crimes without limit and with no suggestion of misbehavior or criminality; in fact, major war criminals like Henry Kissinger appear regularly on TV to comment on the crimes of the derivative butchers.
    -- Edward S. Herman

#War #Criminals #Suggestions

• People made suggestions, but, hell, I don't actually listen to anybody, I just go my own way.
    -- Elia Kazan

#People #Suggestions #Way

• We can make, to ourselves, very much stronger suggestions than anyone else can, whoever that person may be.
    -- Emile Coue

#Stronger #Suggestions #May

• Conscious auto-suggestion, made with confidence, faith, and perseverance realizes itself automatically, in all matters within reason.
    -- Emile Coue

#Perseverance #Matter #Suggestions

• There is no suggestion box in the Psych Ward.
    -- Emilie Autumn

#Psych #Suggestions #Boxes

• A fine suggestion, a sketch with great feeling, can be as expressive as the most finished product.
    -- Eugene Delacroix

#Feelings #Finishing #Suggestions

• Being sexy is not about what's on show, it's all about suggestion, or insinuation. I'm interested in the way a garment hangs on a woman's body and the way it moves when she moves.
    -- Francisco Costa

#Sexy #Moving #Suggestions

• O Mozart, immortal Mozart, how many, how infinitely many inspiring suggestions of a finer, better life you have left in our souls!
    -- Franz Schubert

#Soul #Suggestions #Better Life

• The suggestion that petroleum might have arisen from some transformation of squashed fish or biological detritus is surely the silliest notion to have been entertained by substantial numbers of persons over an extended period of time.
    -- Fred Hoyle

#Numbers #Suggestions #Might

• Of course as children, we all, in all cultures and societies, learn behavior from observation, imitation, and encouragement of various kinds. So by the suggestion made, we all 'pretend' most of the time.
    -- Gary Gygax

#Encouragement #Children #Suggestions

• A living organism must be studied from two distinct aspects. One of these is the causal-analytic aspect which is so fruitfully applicable to ontogeny. The other is the historical descriptive aspect which is unravelling lines of phylogeny with ever-increasing precision. Each of these aspects may make suggestions concerning the possible significance of events seen under the other, but does not explain or translate them into simpler terms.
    -- Gavin de Beer

#Two #Historical #Suggestions

• The selective instinct of the artist tells him when his language should be homely, and when it should be more elevated; and it is precisely in the imperceptible blending of the plain with the ornate that a great writer is distinguished. He uses the simplest phrases without triviality, and the grandest without a suggestion of grandiloquence.
    -- George Henry Lewes

#Artist #Suggestions #Phrases

• In each person I catch the fleeting suggestion of something beautiful and swear eternal friendship with that.
    -- George Santayana

#Beauty #Beautiful #Suggestions

• I have a suggestion for a new name for the developing world. Let's call it the world.
    -- Hans Rosling

#Names #Suggestions #World

• When people approach you angrily, you take them very seriously, and, if you're like me, with the faint suggestion that you can be angry too, and that you would like to know what the shooting is about
    -- Harry Stack Sullivan

#People #Suggestions #Shooting

• There is nothing that impairs a man's sexual performance quicker than any suggestion that he's not doing it right ('Not there, you idiot!') ...
    -- Helen Lawrenson

#Sex #Men #Suggestions

• Every great poem is in itself limited by necessity, but in its suggestions unlimited and infinite.
    -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

#Poetry #Suggestions #Infinite

• It has been discovered that with a dull urban population, all formed under a mechanical system of State education, a suggestion or command, however senseless and unreasoned, will be obeyed if it be sufficiently repeated.
    -- Hilaire Belloc

#Suggestions #Population #Dull

• Don't take my criticisms as iron-clad rules but more as suggestions.
    -- Howard Pyle

#Iron #Criticism #Suggestions

• Sometimes ... the short short appears to rest on nothing more than a fragile anecdote which the writer has managed to drape with a quantity of suggestion. A single incident, a mere anecdote - these form the spine of the short short.
    -- Irving Howe

#Writing #Suggestions #Anecdotes

• The short story form allows evocation, suggestion, implication. Its potency often lies in what it does not say.
    -- Isobelle Carmody

#Lying #Suggestions #Doe

• Like 'real', 'free' is only used to rule out the suggestion of some or all of its recognized antitheses. As 'truth' is not a name of a characteristic of assertions, so 'freedom' is not a name for a characteristic of actions, but the name of a dimension in which actions are assessed.
    -- J. L. Austin

#Real #Names #Suggestions

• Can an idea a notion as abstract as Relativism produce by itself the effects alleged? cause all the harm, destroy all the lives and reputations? I am as far as anyone can be from denying the power of ideas in history, but the suggestion that a philosophy (as Relativism is often called) has perverted millions and debased daily life is on the face of it absurd. No idea working alone has ever demoralized society, and there have been plenty of ideas simpler and more exciting than Relativism.
    -- Jacques Barzun

#Philosophy #Ideas #Suggestions

• The Maria Mayer shell model suggestion in 1949 was a great triumph and fitted my belief that a nuclear shell model should represent a proper approach to understanding nuclear structure.
    -- James Rainwater

#Understanding #Triumph #Suggestions

• I was surprised that each expert cared for different images, and had varied suggestions for how to continue my work. If each expert had been my teacher, I would have pursued four different directions, and lost my way.
    -- Jane Fulton Alt

#Teacher #Teaching #Suggestions

• You should tell yourself frequently 'I will only react to constructive suggestions.' This gives you positive ammunition against your own negative thoughts and those of others.
    -- Jane Roberts

#Giving #Suggestions #Negative

• I think that one wants from a painting a sense of life. The final suggestion, the final statement, has to be not a deliberate statement but a helpless statement. It has to be what you can't avoid saying.
    -- Jasper Johns

#Thinking #Suggestions #Finals

• It is only too easy to make suggestions and later try to escape the consequences of what we say.
    -- Jawaharlal Nehru

#Advice #Trying #Suggestions

• A human group transforms itself into a crowd when it suddenly responds to a suggestion rather than to reasoning, to an image rather than to an idea, to an affirmation rather than to proof, to the repetition of a phrase rather than to arguments, to prestige rather than to competence.
    -- Jean Francois Revel

#Ideas #Suggestions #Groups

• I have not made any suggestions about climate change. This is more about blending or shifting the conversation about the environment versus the economy. It's just such an old, outdated conversation.
    -- Jennifer Granholm

#Shifting #Climate #Suggestions

• To the best of my recollection, I became a philosopher because my parents wanted me to become a lawyer. It seems to me, in retrospect, that there was much to be said for their suggestion. On the other hand, many philosophers are quite good company; the arguments they use are generally better than the ones that lawyers use; and we do get to go to as many faculty meetings as we like at no extra charge.
    -- Jerry Fodor

#Hands #Parent #Suggestions

• The only suggestions I get on my plays is to make them more of what they already are, and that's wonderful.
    -- Jesse Eisenberg

#Play #Suggestions #Wonderful

• All coaches religiously carry fungo bats in the spring to ward off suggestions that they are not working.
    -- Jim Brosnan

#Spring #Bats #Suggestions

• The susceptibility of the average modern to pictorial suggestion enables advertising to exploit his lessened power of judgment.
    -- Johan Huizinga

#Average #Suggestions #Advertising

• Back in 1792, Dr. Benjamin Banneker, the famed African-American inventor and scientist in Washington, proposed a Department of Peace for the new Nation to his friends George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. His prophetic suggestion was not implemented; but now, more than 200 years later, the need for a Peace Department is too compelling to ignore.
    -- John Conyers

#Years #African American #Suggestions

• I usually have a very clear idea of where I want a song to go, sometimes very specific notes, but I'm generally open to suggestions.
    -- John Lennox

#Song #Ideas #Suggestions

• Decisions are more apt to be accepted when you've listened to suggestions first. I wanted them to see the reason behind what I asked of them, not to do things just because I said so.
    -- John Wooden

#Sports #Decision #Suggestions

• I like to give opinions, not suggestions
    -- John Wooden

#Giving #Sportsmanship #Suggestions

• All of us have our own inner fears, beliefs, opinions. These inner assumptions rule and govern our lives. A suggestion has no power in and of itself. its power arises from the fact that you accept it mentally.
    -- Joseph Murphy

#Suggestions #Facts #Belief

• Creativity is not the domain of one single person. Through free-association of thoughts and brainstorming, an accidental suggestion can be the best solution.
    -- Joshua Fernandez

#Creativity #Suggestions #Association

• I found the sections on aging, relationships, and procrastinating especially helpful. I really found the tips and suggestions very helpful, inspiring, positive, and motivating. Yes, I would definitely recommend it.
    -- Karen Lewis

#Self Esteem #Suggestions #Helpful

• Are you at work?" I asked. Not precisely, but that's a good suggestion....
    -- Kat Richardson

#Suggestions

• Any suggestion that science and religion are incompatible flies in the face of history, logic, and common sense.
    -- Kenneth R. Miller

#Common Sense #Suggestions #Faces

• Great imaginations are apt to work from hints and suggestions, and a single moment of emotion is sometimes sufficient to create a masterpiece.
    -- Lady Margaret Sackville

#Single Mom #Imagination #Suggestions

• I love involving actors at all levels - and they have to know that I want to hear their contributions, with dialogue, with story suggestions, with script changes, whatever.
    -- Lasse Hallstrom

#Suggestions #Stories #Actors

• I don't hear record companies coming up with any good ideas or suggestions. Historically, if it ain't their idea, it ain't no good, so you got that to contend with.
    -- Levon Helm

#Ideas #Suggestions #Records

• What am I going to do with you? I have suggestions, but this might not be the place for them.
    -- Lora Leigh

#Suggestions #Might

• If God had been a liberal, we wouldn't have had the Ten Commandments - we'd have the Ten Suggestions.
    -- Malcolm Bradbury

#Suggestions #Ten Commandments

• Suggestion is generally better than Definition. There is a seeming dogmatism about Definition that is often repellent, while Suggestion, on the contrary, disarms suspicion and summons to co-operation and experiment. Definition provokes discussion. Suggestion provokes to love and good works. Defining is limiting. Suggestion is enlarging. Defining calls a halt; Suggestion calls for an advance. Defining involves the peril of contentment: "I am here, I rest." "Thus far," says Definition, and draws a map. "Westward," cries Suggestion, and builds a boat.
    -- Maltbie Davenport Babcock

#Contentment #Defining #Suggestions

• Samba rhythm is a great one to sing on, but it's also got some other suggestions in it, an undercurrent of being primitive - because it is a primitive African, South American, Afro-whatever-you-call-that rhythm. So to white people, it has a very sinister thing about it.
    -- Mick Jagger

#White #People #Suggestions

• Nobody should be whipped. Remember that, once and for all. Neither man nor animal can be influenced by anything but suggestion.
    -- Mikhail Bulgakov

#Men #Animal #Suggestions

• When a man says I cannot, he has made a suggestion to himself. He has weakened his power of accomplishing that which otherwise would have been accomplished.
    -- Muhammad Ali

#Positive #Men #Suggestions

• Publicity is the only thing some people fear. An aroused public opinion has been the cause of most reforms. Telling the truth is perhaps the pacifist's only weapon. Over and over again, even the suggestion that one may publish the facts has changed a scornful, bullying opponent into an almost subservient helper. But how dangerous it is!
    -- Muriel Lester

#Bullying #People #Suggestions

• Pups think rules are suggestions.
    -- Nalini Singh

#Thinking #Suggestions #Pups

• Unfortunately, in the field of evolution most explanations are not good. As a matter of fact, they hardly qualify as explanations at all; they are suggestions, hunches, pipe dreams, hardly worthy of being called hypotheses.
    -- Norman Macbeth

#Dream #Suggestions #Matter

• The Ten Commandments were not a suggestion.
    -- Pat Riley

#Basketball #Suggestions #Ten Commandments

• Once a suggestion has entered the general atmosphere of human thought, it is very difficult to neutralise it.
    -- Patricia Wentworth

#Ideas #Atmosphere #Suggestions

• Suggestions?" I asked [...] Marc never took his gaze from the cage. "Get the hose.
    -- Rachel Vincent

#Suggestions #Cages

• Faultfinding without suggestions for improvement is a waste of time.
    -- Ralph C. Smedley

#Waste #Faults #Suggestions

• If you say to yourself 'It's difficult to get up in the morning', 'It's hard to cease smoking', then you are already using hypnotic suggestions on yourself
    -- Richard Bandler

#Morning #Smoking #Suggestions

• A boy carries out suggestions more wholeheartedly when he understands their aim.
    -- Robert Baden-Powell

#Wisdom #Boys #Suggestions

• Almost any biography will have its useful suggestions for making life a success, but none better or more unfailing than the biography of Christ.
    -- Robert Baden-Powell

#Life #Biographies #Suggestions

• Abstraction generally involves implication, suggestion and mystery, rather than obvious description.
    -- Robert Genn

#Suggestions #Mystery #Description

• May I make a suggestion, hoping it is not an impertinence? Write it down: write down what you feel. It is sometimes a wonderful help in misery.
    -- Robertson Davies

#Depression #Writing #Suggestions

• Suggestion is a literary strategy.
    -- Samuel R. Delany

#Suggestions #Strategy