Orthodoxy quotes

• Do not bury our glorious orthodoxy in the treacherous pit of a spurious conservatism.
    -- Abraham Kuyper

#Pits #Orthodoxy #Conservatism

• I think vital religion has always suffered when orthodoxy is more regarded than virtue. The scriptures assure me that at the last day we shall not be examined on what we thought but what we did.
    -- Benjamin Franklin

#Thinking #Lasts #Orthodoxy

• One of the depressing things in England is the total orthodoxy: the law is handed down from Downing Street.
    -- David Hare

#Depressing #Law #Orthodoxy

• Universal orthodoxy is enriched by every new discovery of truth: what at first appeared universal, by wishing to stand still, sooner or later becomes a sect.
    -- Edgar Quinet

#Discovery #Wish #Orthodoxy

• The heterodoxy of one generation is the orthodoxy of the next.
    -- Edith Hamilton

#Generations #Next #Orthodoxy

• Orthodoxy: That peculiar condition where the patient can neither eliminate an old idea nor absorb a new one.
    -- Elbert Hubbard

#Ideas #Peculiar #Orthodoxy

• The conservatism of a religion - it's orthodoxy - is the inert coagulum of a once highly reactive sap.
    -- Eric Hoffer

#Sap #Orthodoxy #Conservatism

• There is no orthodoxy in walking. It is a land of many paths and no-paths, where every one goes his own and is right.
    -- G. M. Trevelyan

#Land #Path #Orthodoxy

• Inflation is not always the main problem, or indeed a problem at all. Sometimes, though rarely, deflation is a more serious threat, and we need to shelve many of the orthodoxies we have held so dear.
    -- Gavyn Davies

#Needs #Orthodoxy #Serious

• Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.
    -- George Orwell

#Life #Orthodoxy

• Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.
    -- George Orwell

#Mean #Thinking #Orthodoxy

• To exchange one orthodoxy for another is not necessarily an advance. The enemy is the gramophone mind, whether or not one agrees with the record that is being played at the moment.
    -- George Orwell

#Enemy #Mind #Orthodoxy

• At any given moment, there is a sort of all pervading orthodoxy, a general tacit agreement not to discuss large and uncomfortable facts.
    -- George Orwell

#Agreement #Orthodoxy #Facts

• Orthodoxy is the ability to say two and two make five when faith requires it.
    -- George Orwell

#Faith #Two #Orthodoxy

• When journalists are 'accused' of being 'advocates', that means: challenging and deviating from DC orthodoxies.
    -- Glenn Greenwald

#Mean #Challenges #Orthodoxy

• Accusations are made directly to Rome about theologians from persons who are not theologians. Some of these accusations are anonymous. The local bishop should be the one to relate to theologians to determine orthodoxy.
    -- Godfried Danneels

#Rome #Bishops #Orthodoxy

• The creative members of an orthodoxy, any orthodoxy, ultimately outgrow their disciplines.
    -- Irvin D. Yalom

#Discipline #Creative #Orthodoxy

• How to know, oh how to know! All is relative ease and facility in orthodoxy, yet how can it be denied that good is in itself undeniable? Absolutes are the most uncertain of all formulations, while the uncertainties are the most real...
    -- Jack Vance

#Real #Ease #Orthodoxy

• The goal of intellectual life should be to see and understand what is true, not merely to adhere to a prevailing orthodoxy.
    -- Jeffrey Tucker

#Goal #Intellectual #Orthodoxy

• A sure sign of a crisis is the prevalence of cranks. It is characteristic of a crisis in theory that cranks get a hearing from the public which orthodoxy is failing to satisfy.
    -- Joan Robinson

#Complaining #Hearing #Orthodoxy

• I've always thought the Right-wing were ones that were inflexible and intolerant ,and now I'm coming to realize that the orthodoxy at NPR, it's representing the Left.
    -- Juan Williams

#Wings #Npr #Orthodoxy

• But there is yet another form of this hidden heresy, and, paradoxically, it can affect those who are proudest of their long-standing and unimpeachable orthodoxy; heresy in the form of indifference.
    -- Karl Rahner

#Long #Orthodoxy #Indifference

• I was just then going through a healthy reaction from the orthodoxy of my youth; religion had become for me not so much a possession as an obsession, which I was trying to throw off, and this iconoclastic tale of an imaginary tribe was the result.
    -- Laurence Housman

#Healthy #Trying #Orthodoxy

• I rarely accept things on blind faith, especially the orthodoxy of any given practice, or any given practicum. I'm like, "Oh come on. Is this the way to do things?"
    -- Lucas Neff

#Practice #Way #Orthodoxy

• Homosexuality involves sexual acts most men consider not only immoral, but filthy. The reason public men rarely say aloud what most say privately is they are fearful of being branded 'bigots' by an intolerant liberal orthodoxy that holds, against all evidence and experience, that homosexuality is a normal, healthy lifestyle.
    -- Pat Buchanan

#Men #Healthy #Orthodoxy

• In an age of relativism, orthodoxy is the only possible rebellion left
    -- Peter Kreeft

#Age #Orthodoxy #Rebellion

• Where orthodoxy is optional, orthodoxy will sooner or later be proscribed.
    -- Richard John Neuhaus

#Orthodoxy #Sooner Or Later

• I will raise up prophets to make conflicting pronouncements that inevitably will be garbled in transcription, resulting in mutually exclusive definitions of orthodoxy from which the open-minded will flee in dismay.
    -- Sheri S. Tepper

#Definitions #Orthodoxy #Open Minded

• It seems to me that, as it is usually presented, the current orthodoxy about the cosmic order is the product of governing assumptions that are unsupported, and that it flies in the face of common sense.
    -- Thomas Nagel

#Order #Common Sense #Orthodoxy

• Descartes' immortal conclusion cogito ergo sum was recently subjected to destruction testing by a group of graduate researchers at Princeton led by Professors Montjuic and Lauterbrunnen, and now reads, in the Shorter Harvard Orthodoxy: (a) I think, therefore I am; or (b) Perhaps I thought, therefore I was; but (c) These days, I tend to leave that side of things to my wife.
    -- Tom Holt

#Thinking #Wife #Orthodoxy

• Orthodoxy is my doxy - heterodoxy is another man's doxy.
    -- William Warburton

#Men #Orthodoxy #Doxies

• There are several such issues where I have departed radically from the Republican orthodoxy.
    -- William Weld

#Issues #Departed #Orthodoxy

• A conflict of values is not a misunderstanding. Islamic orthodoxy and the German constitution are not compatible.
    -- Bassam Tibi

#Islamic #Orthodoxy #Constitution

• I will not glory, even in my orthodoxy, for even that can be a snare if I make a god of it... Let us rejoice in Him in all His fullness and in Him alone.
    -- Martyn Lloyd-Jones

#Orthodoxy #Glory #Snares

• I knew I could never be accepted as a straight-ahead jazz musician, nor would Iaccept myself as that. I would never be accepted as a minimalist. I wouldn't be adowntown composer. Because I find all orthodoxies, all doctrines to be ultimatelybanal.
    -- Anthony Davis

#Musician #Doctrine #Orthodoxy

• Anti-clericalism and non-belief, have their bigots just as orthodoxy does.
    -- Julien Green

#Orthodoxy #Doe #Belief