Sibling quotes

• I would ask my parents something, but then go to my siblings. We were encouraged to bounce ideas off everyone.
    -- Ahmet Zappa

#Sibling #Ideas #Parent

• Belief and delusion are incestuous siblings.
    -- Aleksandar Hemon

#Sibling #Belief #Delusion

• If parents are the fixed stars in the childs universe, the vaguely understood, distant but constant celestial spheres, siblings are the dazzling, sometimes scorching comets whizzing nearby.
    -- Alison Gopnik

#Stars #Sibling #Parent

• My parents were both Spanish-speakers and they used to speak to me and my siblings in Spanish and we'd answer them in English.
    -- America Ferrera

#Sibling #Parent #Answers

• My siblings are my best friends.
    -- America Ferrera

#Brother #Sibling #My Best Friend

• Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
    -- Anatole France

#Love #Inspiring #Sibling

• I am the only one who is not married among my siblings.
    -- Andrea Hirata

#Sibling #Married #My Siblings

• A sibling is the lens through which you see your childhood.
    -- Ann Hood

#Sibling #Childhood #Lenses

• There is a little boy inside the man who is my brother... Oh, how I hated that little boy. And how I love him too.
    -- Anna Quindlen

#Inspirational #Brother #Sibling

• I don't understand how people learn to live in the world if they haven't had siblings. Everything I learned about negotiation, territoriality, coexistence, dislike, inbred differences and love despite knowledge I learned from my four younger siblings ...
    -- Anna Quindlen

#Sibling #Differences #People

• Remember that you own what happened to you. If your childhood was less than ideal, you may have been raised thinking that if you told the truth about what really went on in your family, a long bony white finger would emerge from a cloud and point to you, while a chilling voice thundered, "We *told* you not to tell." But that was then. Just put down on paper everything you can remember now about your parents and siblings and relatives and neighbors, and we will deal with libel later on.
    -- Anne Lamott

#Sibling #Thinking #Clouds

• We can't understand when we're pregnant, or when our siblings are expecting, how profound it is to have a shared history with a younger generation: blood, genes, humor. It means we were actually here, on Earth, for a time - like the Egyptians with their pyramids, only with children.
    -- Anne Lamott

#Children #Sibling #Mean

• With a diplomat father, for whom foreign postings were a fact of life, my siblings and I were expected to attend boarding schools in Britain.
    -- Arabella Weir

#Father #Sibling #School

• I think I wish I had never spanked my children, but I have. And they remember every instance like they tattooed it on their palms. I think it's a terrible lesson, to use physical punishment to make a point about not behaving, not being kind to their siblings, to other people. I mean that's just absurd. But I've lost it, I understand it.
    -- Ayelet Waldman

#Children #Sibling #Mean

• Anyone who has raised more than one child knows full well that kids turn out the way they turn out - astonishingly, for the most part, and usually quite unlike their siblings, even their twins, raised under the same flawed rooftree. Little we have done or said, or left undone and unsaid, seems to have made much mark. It's hubris to suppose ourselves so influential; a casual remark on the playground is as likely to change their lives as any dedicated campaign of ours. They come with much of their own software already in place, waiting, and none of the keys we press will override it.
    -- Barbara Holland

#Children #Sibling #Kids

• Your siblings are the only people in the world who know what it's like to have been brought up the way you were.
    -- Betsy Z. Cohen

#Sibling #People #World

• Of all the statistics in health, death is the easiest, because you can go out and ask people, "Hey, have you had any children who died, did your siblings have any children who died?" People don't forget that.
    -- Bill Gates

#Children #Sibling #People

• Haruhi: This is a sibling squabble, not a fight to the death! You're both wrong, and acting like idiots only proves it!
    -- Bisco Hatori

#Sibling #Fighting #Acting

• Hence my obstinate emphasis on stylistic continuity from work to work rather than specific sibling relationships between the individual work and other members of its stylistic 'family' in the world outside.
    -- Brian Ferneyhough

#Sibling #World #Individual

• Self-acceptance begins in infancy, with the influence of your parents and siblings and other important people. Your own level of self-acceptance is determined largely by how well you feel you are accepted by the important people in your life. Your attitude toward yourself is determined largely by the attitudes that you think other people have toward you. When you believe that other people think highly of you, your level of self-acceptance and self-esteem goes straight up. The best way to build a healthy personality involves understanding yourself and your feelings.
    -- Brian Tracy

#Attitude #Sibling #Self Esteem

• All my siblings became artists. One's a novelist, my brother is a painter, my sister was a costume designer.
    -- Caio Fonseca

#Brother #Sibling #Artist

• I have siblings. And there are certain things I know that I can push their buttons. And they know they have certain things where they can push mine.
    -- Catherine Zeta-Jones

#Brother #Sibling #Buttons

• You can kid the world, but not your sister.
    -- Charlotte Gray

#Sister #Sibling #Kids

• I believe in soulmates, yes, but I believe you also have to work at love. I happen to believe your soulmate doesn't have to be your partner - your soulmate could be your best friend, your sibling, it doesn't have to be the person you marry.
    -- Cheryl Cole

#Soulmate #Sibling #Believe

• The counter-argument would be, so what if my sexual relationships are superficial, one can still have satisfying and rewarding relationships with friends, or parents, or siblings, or whatever.
    -- Chester Brown

#Sibling #Parent #What If

• Red was the blood of the siblings massacred in the North, black was for mourning them, green was for the prosperity Biafra would have, and, finally, the half of a yellow sun stood for the glorious future.
    -- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

#Sibling #Blood #Yellow

• Every successful artist comes from a family - parents or siblings or both - who, although equally gifted, chose not to pursue the treacherous and difficult path of the artist.
    -- Chris Abani

#Sibling #Successful #Artist

• That's when it happens. Maybe it was my argument. Maybe it was my scary zeal. Whatever the reason, as soon as Megan whistles, the crowd is on its feet. They're blowing bubbles. They're raising their lighters high. They're cheering through their fangs... For Dawn Summers, for themselves and each other, for every sibling who got tossed into a situation beyond her control. For me. And for my sister, who whistles again... Once more with feeling.
    -- Cynthia Leitich Smith

#Summer #Cheer #Sibling

• I know it's a cliche, but the whole family is just whacked. I mean, we're all out of our minds. They're the funniest, most eccentric bizarre people I've ever met, my siblings.
    -- Dana Carvey

#Brother #Sibling #Mean

• Im the youngest of four, but my closest sibling is 10 years older. I had a lot of imagination. I was running around playing little games by myself. But I never thought I was going to be an actor.
    -- Daniel Breaker

#Running #Sibling #Years

• There are very serious forms of, and reactions to, sibling victimization.
    -- David Finkelhor

#Sibling #Serious #Reactions

• I don't remember any sibling rivalry growing up, because by the time I was really conscious, Tom was going away to college. My relationship with him, which is a very close one, really developed in more recent years.
    -- David Hyde Pierce

#Growing Up #Sibling #College

• Thus did my siblings and I learn one of the hard lessons of life: the best way to strip the allure and dreaminess from a lifelong dream is, very often, simply to have it come true.
    -- David James

#Dream #Sibling #Life Lesson

• This is just one of those annoying and unjust differences between you and your younger sibling...I was probably fifteen before I could go to a friend's house without giving mom an FBI dossier on the people; Bex can practically hitchhike on the freeway with a mere "Have fun, honey.
    -- Deb Caletti

#Mom #Fun #Sibling

• If you want to do really important things in life and big things in life, you can't do anything by yourself. And your best teams are your friends and your siblings.
    -- Deepak Chopra

#Sibling #Team #Important

• Comparison is a death knell to sibling harmony.
    -- Elizabeth Fishel

#Brother #Sibling #Harmony

• Offer it up personally,then. Right now. I thought of how many people go to their graves unforgiven and unforgiving. I thought of how many people have had siblings or friends or children or lovers disappear from their lives before precious words of clemency or absolution could be passed along. How do the survivors of terminated relationships ever endure the pain of unfinished business? From that place of meditation, I found the answer-you can finish the business yourself, from within yourself. It's not only possible, it's essential.
    -- Elizabeth Gilbert

#Children #Pain #Sibling

• All I can say is, it's a sort of kinship, as though there is a family tree of grief. On this branch, the lost children, on this the suicided parents, here the beloved mentally ill siblings. When something terrible happens, you discover all of the sudden that you have a new set of relatives, people with whom you can speak in the shorthand of cousins.
    -- Elizabeth McCracken

#Cousin #Children #Sibling

• I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness.
    -- Emily Dickinson

#Sister #Sibling #Might

• I've never had siblings, I didn't grow up in a big family; it was just me and my single mom. And hectic family dysfunction was actually something that I craved.
    -- Emmy Rossum

#Mom #Growing Up #Sibling

• She could see that to lose a sibling was hard: it could only seem unnatural:out of time, out of order, a vicious re-run of your own departure into nothingness.
    -- Fay Weldon

#Running #Sibling #Order

• The highlight of my childhood was making my brother laugh so hard that food came out of his nose.
    -- Garrison Keillor

#Inspirational #Brother #Sibling

• My father was the orphaned son of immigrants to the United States from Ireland. My father never knew his parents. His mother died - we're not sure - either at or shortly after his birth, and he and all of his siblings were placed in orphanages in the Boston area.
    -- George J. Mitchell

#Mother #Father #Sibling

• Food was always a big part of my life. My grandfather was one of 14 kids, and his parents had a pasta factory, so as a kid, he and his siblings would sell pasta door to door. After he became a movie producer, he opened up De Laurentiis Food Stores - one in Los Angeles and one in New York.
    -- Giada De Laurentiis

#New York #Sibling #Kids

• Sometimes siblings can get in each other's space.
    -- Gisele Bundchen

#Sibling #Space #Sometimes

• Nicotine and alcohol embraced in my system like long-parted siblings, grateful to me for reuniting them.
    -- Glen Duncan

#Sibling #Grateful #Long

• My parents raised me and my six siblings with little money... but lots of love.
    -- Hilda Solis

#Sibling #Parent #Littles

• Lord help the mister that comes between me and my sister...
    -- Irving Berlin

#Brother #Sibling #Helping

• We are all the siblings of Kuwait. She is the mother and the father, and we are the shield that protects her from her enemies
    -- Jaber Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah

#Mother #Father #Sibling

• ...since I was a little boy, she had always wanted me to go. She was always sending me off on a bus someplace, to elementary school, to camp, to relatives in Kentucky, to college. She pushed me away from her just as she'd pushed my elder siblings away when we lived in New York, literally shoving them out the front door when they left for college.
    -- James McBride

#New York #Sibling #School

• The only siblings I have are half-siblings. My nuclear family would have been an extra-suffocating threesome. Instead, I have an interesting brother and sister, in-laws, and darling nephews.
    -- Jane Smiley

#Brother #Sibling #Sister In Law

• Throughout history, adultery has had few rivals as a cause of murder and human misery. The reason we tend to resemble our mates is that many of us are looking for someone who reminds us of our parent or sibling of the opposite sex, who in turn resembles us.
    -- Jared Diamond

#Sex #Sibling #Opposites

• This is our siblings of more famous BookWorld Personalities self-help group expalined Loser (Gatsby). That's Sharon Eyre, the younger and wholly disreputable sister of Jane; Roger Yossarian, the draft dodger and coward; Rupert Bond, still a virgin and can't keep a secret; Tracy Capulet, who has slept her way round Verona twice; and Nancy Potter, who is a Muggle.
    -- Jasper Fforde

#Sibling #Self #Personality

• Right, then, mate, terribly sorry for my unspeakable rudeness, and I do beg your pardon. I can only say that it was caused by my natural affront to the notion of her as my sister. Since I'll be shagging her tonight, you can imagine how I'd be distressed at the thought of rogering my sibling" "You shmuck! The only thing you'll be shagging tonight is yourself!" "You wanted sincerity, well, luv, I was sincere.
    -- Jeaniene Frost

#Sorry #Sibling #Tonight

• There's a sort of sibling moratorium when you're establishing yourself as an adult. So much of your energy has to be focused on other things like work and kids. But when people become more settled, siblings tend to regroup because now you're building a new extended family.
    -- Jeffrey Kluger

#Sibling #Kids #People

• Older siblings get more total-immersion mentoring with their parents before younger siblings come along. As a result, they get an IQ and linguistic advantage because they are the exclusive focus of their parents' attention.
    -- Jeffrey Kluger

#Sibling #Parent #Focus

• When you're your parents' one shot at a genetic legacy, you may get to attend all the best schools, wear all the best clothes and eat all the best foods - at least relative to children in multiple-sibling households. But you also wind up with an overweening sense of your own importance.
    -- Jeffrey Kluger

#Children #Sibling #School

• When you learn conflict-resolution skills in the playroom, you then practice them on the playground, and that in turn stays with you. If you have a combative sibling or a physically intimidating, older sibling, you learn a lot about how to deal with situations like that later in life. If you're an older sibling and you have a younger sibling who needs mentoring or is afraid of the dark, you develop nurturing and empathic skills that you wouldn't otherwise have.
    -- Jeffrey Kluger

#Sibling #Dark #Practice

• The English language has about 450,000 commonly used words, but more may be needed. What to you call someone who has lost a sibling or had a miscarriage? Or a gay person whose partner has died? Or an elderly person who has lost every friend and relative? So many heartaches can't be found in the dictionary.
    -- Jeffrey Zaslow

#Sibling #Miscarriage #Gay

• My siblings and I are known as ABCs, American-born Chinese.
    -- Jennifer Lee

#Sibling #Chinese #Born

• And then it hit me. One of those evil thoughts siblings get because, well, that's what we do. Looking over my shoulder I said, "You know, since you have some free time, maybe you could...never mind." "What?" "Well it's just that, all those calories you've been drink - I mean - not burning off have kind of settled on your gut. I didn't want to mention anything," I said as Dave's hand stole to his midsection. "But the general pointed out that you'd lost a few steps training-wise." I laughed and waved my hand. "I'm sure it's nothing switching to a light beer won't cure.
    -- Jennifer Rardin

#Wise #Sibling #Mean

• I think my siblings sometimes have to defend me within their social circles - they are both barristers.
    -- Jenny Eclair

#Sibling #Thinking #Circles

• I have an enormous family because I'm from Montreal and my family's Catholic, so my dad has eight siblings and they all have kids and we all grew up in the same property on weekends and summers.
    -- Jessica Pare

#Summer #Dad #Sibling

• I was the youngest of the six kids, and to make my older siblings laugh, that was very important. I did a great impression of our dad that made them all laugh, so that gave me a lot of power within the family.
    -- Jim Gaffigan

#Dad #Sibling #Kids

• I had a really wonderful upbringing. We were a tight family. It was wonderful to grow up with so many siblings. We were all just a year or two apart, and we were always so supportive of each other. I learned everything from my older brother and sister and taught it to my younger sisters.
    -- Joaquin Phoenix

#Brother #Growing Up #Sibling

• If you have a sister and she dies, do you stop saying you have one? Or are you always a sister, even when the other half of the equation is gone?
    -- Jodi Picoult

#Sister #Sibling #Loss

• Many things shaped my identity as a young boy: a strong selfworth (something that was instilled in all three Barrowman siblings by our parents), my immersion in theatre and music, and my DNA. I was born gay. It's not a choice I – or anyone else who is gay – made. If it were, why on earth would anyone choose to be part of a minority, part of a group that in so many cultures and countries, even in the twenty-first century, is regularly blasphemed, hounded and worse?
    -- John Barrowman

#Country #Strong #Sibling

• Spouses have each other, and even when one eventually dies, they have memories of a time when they existed before that other person and can more readily imagine a life without them. Likewise, parents may have other children to be concerned with--a future to protect for them. To lose a sibling is to lose the one person with whom one shares a lifelong bond that is meant to continue on into the future.
    -- John Corey Whaley

#Children #Memories #Sibling

• A sibling represents a person's past, present, and future,
    -- John Corey Whaley

#Sibling #Past #Persons

• Mysteries and thrillers are not the same things, though they are literary siblings. Roughly put, I would say the distinction is that mysteries emphasize motive and psychology whereas thrillers rely more heavily on action and plot.
    -- Jon Meacham

#Sibling #Psychology #Plot

• I am an only child and home-schooled, so I have no siblings or classmates.
    -- Jonathan Krohn

#Children #Sibling #Home

• Sometimes it’s heartbreaking to see your siblings as the people they’ve become. Maybe that’s why we all stay away from each other as a matter of course.
    -- Jonathan Tropper

#Sibling #Funny Family #People

• My mom says I'm her sugarplum. My mom says I'm her lamb. My mom says I'm completely perfect Just the way I am. My mom says I'm a super-special wonderful terrific little guy. My mom just had another baby. Why?
    -- Judith Viorst

#Mom #Baby #Sibling

• Eventually we will learn that the loss of indivisible love is another of our necessary losses, that loving extends beyond the mother-child pair, that most of the love we receive in this world is love we will have to share--and that sharing begins at home, with our sibling rivals.
    -- Judith Viorst

#Mother #Children #Sibling

• Caitlyn isn't someone to get over. She's someone to come to terms with, the way you have to come to terms with your parents, your siblings. You can't deny they ever happened. You can't deny you ever loved them, love them still, even if loving them causes you pain.
    -- Judy Blume

#Pain #Sibling #Parent

• I certainly believe we all suffer damage, one way or another. How could we not,except in a world of perfect parents, siblings, neighbours, companions? And then there is the question on which so much depends, of how we react to the damage: whether we admit it or repress it,and how this affects our dealings with others.Some admit the damage, and try to mitigate it;some spend their lives trying to help others who are damaged; and there are those whose main concern is to avoid further damage to themselves, at whatever cost. And those are the ones who are ruthless, and the ones to be careful of.
    -- Julian Barnes

#Sibling #Believe #Helping Others

• Grease is one of the movies that made me want to be an entertainer, and I have literally been waiting my whole life to play Sandy. My siblings and I watched it and played it out over and over when we were kids. This is my dream role and performing it live on television will be one of the most thrilling opportunities I’ve had in my career so far.
    -- Julianne Hough

#Dream #Sibling #Kids

• I am extremely close to my brother, Kent, and my sister, Lauren, who have been remarkably understanding about all of my weird sibling tales.
    -- Karen Russell

#Brother #Sibling #Understanding

• They say that not matter how old you become, when you are with your siblings, you revert back to childhood.
    -- Karen White

#Sibling #Childhood #Matter

• My mom's one of 13 siblings, and they all got six kids, and till I was 13 everybody was in Compton.
    -- Kendrick Lamar

#Mom #Sibling #Kids

• That's the way it is with firstborns. Mom and Dad may think they're in charge, but the firstborn knows better, and so does the youngest sibling.
    -- Kevin Leman

#Mom #Dad #Sibling

• All that you see was and is for your sake. The numerous books, uncanny markings, and beautiful thoughts are the ghosts of souls who preceded you. The speech they weave is a link between you and your human siblings. The consequences that cause sorrow and rapture are the seeds that the past has sown in the field of the soul, and by which the future shall profit.
    -- Khalil

#Beautiful #Sibling #Book

• Many people don't have relationships to their siblings in adulthood, or they have superficial ones. It's sort of unfashionable, particularly in America, to be close to your family.
    -- Kiki Smith

#Sibling #America #People

• It always struck Fire, the physical affection between these siblings, who as often as not were at each other's throats over one thing or another. She liked the way the four of them shifted and changed shape, bumping and clanging against one another, sharpening each other's edges and then smoothing them down again, and somehow always finding the way to fit together.
    -- Kristin Cashore

#Sibling #Fire #Together

• A lot of the women that I treat will tell me that when they talk to their siblings or mothers they very often have similar challenges. One could make the case that it's nurture, not nature because these twins were brought up together, but you can't rule out the genetic argument.
    -- Laura Berman

#Mother #Sibling #Challenges

• I consider myself lucky to be an only child because if I had other siblings, my mother would not have been able to take me to every audition and be so supportive of my career.
    -- Lea Michele

#Mother #Children #Sibling

• A bond as important as that of a husband and wife, is the bond between siblings.
    -- Lee Dong-wook

#Husband #Sibling #Drama

• I was taking a nose dive somewhere between eleven and twelve because my sister had died and I was practicing something that siblings do which is follow in their footsteps and die as well.
    -- Leo Kottke

#Sibling #Twelve #Noses

• My older siblings and I all work in 'the industry'. So obviously we have hectic schedules, but we make it work.
    -- Lily Collins

#Sibling #Schedules #Older Sibling

• every one of us possesses a gene predisposing us toward rivalry, competition, and fits of envy with any past, present, or future siblings.
    -- Linda Sunshine

#Sibling #Past #Envy

• Changing schools and friends is hard on children and can often make them desperate and lonely enough to form closer ties with a sibling.
    -- Linda Sunshine

#Lonely #Children #Sibling

• Your sister is the only creature on earth who shares your heritage, history, environment, DNA, bone structure, and contempt for stupid Aunt Gertie.
    -- Linda Sunshine

#Sibling #Stupid #Aunt

• I have three siblings. My sister makes music. My older brother is a classical conductor, and my younger brother is a mixing engineer.
    -- Lisa Loeb

#Brother #Sibling #Mixing

• It's not the easiest thing in the world to act with Harry - we are very close. I'm not saying it won't ever happen again but it's best to work with other people. There are no professional boundaries at which to stop when you act with a sibling.
    -- Luke Treadaway

#Sibling #People #World

• I am the youngest of four siblings, and were all so close. I dont know where I would be without my brothers and sister. I secretly believe that my parents love me the most!
    -- Marissa Jaret Winokur

#Brother #Sibling #Believe

• Some of the best times I've spent in Colorado have been in the backcountry with my mom and siblings, and more recently, with my own kids. That is why I'm concerned to see today's kids spending more time browsing the Internet than exploring nature.
    -- Mark Udall

#Mom #Sibling #Kids

• To read" actually comes from the Latin reri "to calculate, to think" which is not only the progenitor of "read" but of "reason" as well, both of which hail from the Greek arariskein "to fit." Aside from giving us "reason," arariskein also gives us an unlikely sibling, Latin arma meaning "weapons." It seems that "to fit" the world or to make sense of it requires either reason or arms.
    -- Mark Z. Danielewski

#Latin #Sibling #Thinking

• All of my friends who have younger siblings who are going to college or high school - my number one piece of advice is: You should learn how to program.
    -- Mark Zuckerberg

#Sibling #School #College

• When I look back at those pictures of my mother performing - and listen to her recordings - it makes me sad to think that all of that joy she found in her work came to an end. I wish she hadn't had to make that sacrifice, even if it was for the benefit of my father and siblings and me.
    -- Marlo Thomas

#Mother #Father #Sibling

• I think I'm funny because my family, my siblings were funny.
    -- Martin Short

#Brother #Sibling #Thinking