Rope quotes

• I'll fight anybody who grabs the rope to hang themselves.
    -- Adrien Broner

#Motivation #Fighting #Rope

• My genes, my love, are rubber bands and rope; make yourself a structure you can live inside. Amen." — Aimee Bender (Willful Creatures: Stories)
    -- Aimee Bender

#Rope #Band #Stories

• And it was always the stories that needed the telling that gave us the rope we could cross any river with. They balanced us high above any crevasse. They made us be natural acrobats. They made us brave. They met us well. They changed us. It was in their nature to.
    -- Ali Smith

#Rivers #Brave #Rope

• Once released from life, having lost it in such violence, I couldn’t calculate my steps. I didn’t have time for contemplation. In violence it is the getting out that you concentrate on. When you begin to go over the edge, life receding from you as a boat recedes inevitably from the shore, you hold on to death tightly, like a rope that will transport you, and you swing out on it, hoping to land away from where you are.
    -- Alice Sebold

#Swings #Land #Rope

• ROPE, n. An obsolescent appliance for reminding assassins that they too are mortal. It is put about the neck and remains in place one's whole life long.
    -- Ambrose Bierce

#Life #Long #Rope

• Karl Marx once said, 'The last capitalist we hang shall be the one who sold us the rope.' Marx was wrong. The last capitalist to be hanged shall be the one who donated the rope, and then lobbied for his own hanging.
    -- Amy Ridenour

#Rope #Lasts #Environment

• It was as helpful as throwing a drowning man both ends of the rope.
    -- Arthur Baer

#Men #Rope #Helpful

• I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.
    -- Arthur Rimbaud

#Dance #Stars #Rope

• A leash is a rope with a noose at both ends.
    -- Ayn Rand

#Rope #Ends

• Playing scales is like a boxer skipping rope or punching a bag. It's not the thing in itself; it's preparatory to the activity
    -- Barney Kessel

#Music #Rope #Bags

• All they want to do is tie the poem to a chair with a rope and torture a confession out of it. They begin beating it with a hose to find out what it really means.
    -- Billy Collins

#Mean #Ties #Rope

• The man who votes for the saloon is pulling on the same rope with the devil, whether he knows it or not.
    -- Billy Sunday

#Men #Devil #Rope

• How far can you push a rope? Not very far. That's why true influencers don't push.
    -- Bob Burg

#Marketing #Rope #Network Marketing

• Relationships are ropes. Love is a noose. - Durzo Blint
    -- Brent Weeks

#Love Is #Rope #Dark Humor

• Without a rope there is no fear beacuse to fall is unthinkable.
    -- Catherine Destivelle

#Fall #Rope #No Fear

• You know, I have a theory about Charlie Haughey. If you give him enough rope, he'll hang you.
    -- Charles Haughey

#Giving #Rope #Enough

• I was jumping rope. Everything was fine. And then suddenly everything seemed so futile.
    -- Charles M. Schulz

#Jumping #Rope #Fine

• ...don't create snakes out of ropes. You have enough to worry about.
    -- Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni

#Snakes #Worry #Rope

• they say in the old tales that when a man and woman exchange looks the way we did, their spirits mingle. their gaze is a rope of gold binding each other. even if they never meet again, they carry a little of the other with them always. they can never forget, and they can never be wholly happy again
    -- Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni

#Men #Gold #Rope

• To vindicate the sanctity of human life by taking it is an outrage upon reason. The spectacle of a human being dangling at the end of a gallows-rope is a degradation of humanity.
    -- Christian Nestell Bovee

#Humanity #Rope #Degradation

• A women needs ropes and ropes of pearls.
    -- Coco Chanel

#Needs #Rope #Pearls

• If you're at the end of your rope . . . untie the knot in your heart.
    -- Cooper Edens

#Heart #Rope #Ends

• Don't ever rope me in as a late-night talk show host. I don't want to be one.
    -- Craig Ferguson

#Night #Rope #Want

• you could see the roads crisscrossing over the fields. When cars went by, far away, the beams were so bright they seemed to be ropes of light pulling the cars behind.
    -- Cynthia Kadohata

#Light #Car #Rope

• God's address is at the end of your rope.
    -- Dallas Willard

#Rope #Addresses #Ends

• Every bit as visceral and hypnotic as its award-winning predecessor, On the Ropes is a tour-de-force of fluid, yet detailed storytelling.
    -- Dave Gibbons

#Winning #Awards #Rope

• I'd go to Coney Island to hang out, and I saw a magician doing a rope trick on the boardwalk. I was fascinated. I guess that's how it started.
    -- David Blaine

#Islands #Rope #Saws

• When a knot gets to tight, you can always cut the rope
    -- Dean Koontz

#Cutting #Rope #Knots

• Sometimes you can cattle rope your heart and sometimes you can't, is all.
    -- Deb Caletti

#Heart #Rope #Sometimes

• If you're Mejicana or Mejicano and don't know who Pedro Infante is, you should be tied to a hot stove with yucca rope and beaten with sharp dry corn husks as you stand in a vat of soggy fideos.
    -- Denise Chavez

#Hot #Rope #Dry

• There's something I learned when I was homeless: Our limitation is God's opportunity. When you get all the way to the end of your rope and there ain't nothin you can do, that's when God takes over.
    -- Denver Moore

#Opportunity #Rope #Way

• The end of the rope stops in the palm of God.
    -- Dillon Burroughs

#Rope #Ends #Palms

• On one level the sixties revolt was an impressive illustration of Lenin's remark that the capitalist will sell you the rope to hang him with.
    -- Ellen Willis

#Illustration #Rope #Levels

• The Rope a Dope would not have existed without the Big Dope.
    -- George Foreman

#Sports #Dope #Rope

• I cherish the fantasy, even the hope, of adventures in other realms to come. But how can we choke out that most precious of all gifts, life, with the rope of religion around our necks? It chokes out freedom with dogma. It pinions us to the stake of superstition.
    -- Gerry Spence

#Death #Adventure #Rope

• Everton are now hitting the ropes running.
    -- Glenn Hoddle

#Running #Hitting #Rope

• If Jesus was hung, would we pray to a rope?
    -- Gordon Downie

#Religious #Jesus #Rope

• A woman needs ropes and ropes of pearls.
    -- Grace Kelly

#Needs #Rope #Pearls

• I don't really believe in 'directions' in art; the rope twists as you follow it, that's all.
    -- Graham Nelson

#Art #Believe #Rope

• No prison can hold me; no hand or leg irons or steel locks can shackle me. No ropes or chains can keep me from my freedom.
    -- Harry Houdini

#Iron #Hands #Rope

• If I do hit that rope and do a hop, skip and a jump and get up as high as I can, I'm just going to hold my breath, because I know i'm going to hear all kinds of scar tissue popping.
    -- Hulk Hogan

#Judging #Rope #Tissues

• The whole business is the crudest sort of stratagem, since we have no way of foreseeing it to the end. It is a mere paying out of rope on the chance that somewhere along the length of it will be a noose.
    -- Isaac Asimov

#Rope #Way #Chance

• Writing is an affair of yearning for great voyages and hauling on frayed ropes.
    -- Israel Shenker

#Travel #Writing #Rope

• Whoever admits that he is too busy to improve his methods, has acknowledged himself to be at the end of his rope. And that is always the saddest predicament which any one can get into.
    -- J. Ogden Armour

#Failure #Rope #Busy

• Words are what sticks to the real. We use them to push the real, to drag the real into the poem. They are what we hold on with, nothing else. They are as valuable in themselves as rope with nothing to be tied to.
    -- Jack Spicer

#Real #Rope #Use

• A man is like a rope: both break at a definite strain....The solution is not splicing the rope; it's lessening the tension.
    -- Jack Vance

#Men #Rope #Break

• If school days are the happiest days of your life, I'm hanging myself with my skip-rope tonight.
    -- Jackie Kennedy

#School #Rope #Tonight

• One can lynch a person without a rope or tree.
    -- James H. Cone

#Tree #Rope #Notable

• Remember how it was when we kissed? Armfuls and armfuls of light thrown right at us. A rope dropping down from the sky. How can the word love and the word life even fit in the mouth?
    -- Jandy Nelson

#Sky #Light #Rope

• We learn the rope of life by untying its knots.
    -- Jean Toomer

#Life #Experience #Rope

• The climb will go. Get rid of the rope. It's only distracting you.
    -- Jeff Lowe

#Rope #Climbs

• When I went to school, they told me literature was a rope I must use to climb out of the dark well of unknowing. Writers are the knots on the rope.
    -- Jennifer Stone

#School #Dark #Rope

• I've never seen a truly great fighter get knocked onto the ropes unconscious... knocked out cold before... and I saw Roy Jones get knocked out twice in a row.
    -- Jim Lampley

#Rope #Saws #Fighter

• I certainly do get at the end of my rope at times. We all do.
    -- Joan Allen

#Rope #Ends

• I've chosen a life that's so different from everybody else's that it cuts me off from them. Practically everybody I know treats me like a guest celebrity. Of course it's my own fault. I feel so damn alone sometimes, I feel like I could just float away into the stratosphere and everybody would stand there looking up at me and not one would haul me back down to earth. No ropes.
    -- Jordan Mechner

#Cutting #Different #Rope

• When we hang the capitalists they will sell us the rope we use.
    -- Joseph Stalin

#Business #High Heels #Rope

• If you don't break your ropes while you're alive, do you think ghosts will do it after?
    -- Kabir

#Thinking #Rope #Alive

• There is no river at all, and no boat, and no boatman. There is not even a rope to tow the boat, and no one to pull it. There is no earth, no sky, no time, no thing, no shore, no ford!
    -- Kabir

#Sky #Rivers #Rope

• For where shall a man turn who has no money? Where can he go? Wide, wide world, but as narrow as the coins in your hand. Like a tethered goat, so far and no farther. Only money can make the rope stretch, only money.
    -- Kamala Markandaya

#Men #Hands #Rope

• The last capitalist we hang shall be the one who sold us the rope.
    -- Karl Marx

#Rope #Lasts #Poverty

• We will hang the capitalists with the rope that they sell us.
    -- Karl Marx

#Rope #Capitalist

• Pride is the rope God allows us all.
    -- Leif Enger

#Pride #Rope

• When a man has the rope about his neck, you don't ask him about his health!
    -- Leonid Andreyev

#Death #Men #Rope

• It was one frayed rope thrown across the chasm between us. Not enough to get across, but maybe just enough to tell that it wasn't as wide as I'd originally thought.
    -- Maggie Stiefvater

#Rope #Enough #Chasms

• Learning how to interact with customers is something that anyone starting any business must master. It's an amazing opportunity to be able to learn the ropes at an established company and then employ your expertise at your own company.
    -- Marc Benioff

#Opportunity #Rope #Able

• what a rope of sand we are without a leader ...
    -- Marjorie Bowen

#Leadership #Leader #Rope

• For poems are not words, after all, but fires for the cold, ropes let down to the lost, something as necessary as bread in the pockets of the hungry.
    -- Mary Oliver

#Fire #Rope #Bread

• Long ago in China, knot-makers tied string into buttons and frogs, and rope into bell pulls. There was one knot so complicated that it blinded the knot-maker. Finally an emperor outlawed this cruel knot, and the nobles could not order it anymore. If I had lived in China, I would have been an outlaw knot-maker.
    -- Maxine Hong Kingston

#Order #Long #Rope

• I think you have everyone kind of pulling on the same end of the rope. It's not like you're Robin Williams and everyone else is a deaf mute. It's like - there's plenty of help.
    -- Michael McKean

#Thinking #Rope #Robins

• The higher the rope, the more thrilling it is to climb.
    -- Michelle Gibson

#Motivation #Rope #Higher

• Let us not throw the rope after the bucket.
    -- Miguel de Cervantes

#Buckets #Rope #Prudence

• Making a film is like learning the ropes all over again.
    -- Miley Cyrus

#Rope #Film

• Immortality without eternity is a rope with only one end.
    -- Multatuli

#Rope #Immortality #Eternity

• I very rarely saw Tom Kite around. I've talked to Tom about it. I don't think Michael Jordan needed to be on the captain's cart with Kite; he needed to be walking in the gallery, supporting them from outside the ropes.
    -- Payne Stewart

#Sports #Thinking #Rope

• Having to wander through a maze of ropes at an airport or bank even when you are the only person in line.
    -- Rich Hall

#Humorous #Airports #Rope

• You always want to walk a tight-rope of flavor
    -- Rick Bayless

#Flavor #Want #Rope

• So many cowboys....so little rope.
    -- Sable

#Cowboy #Littles #Rope

• It's strange when they near your cell. You lose all your strength and you are like this. You lose all your strength as if a rope is dragging it out of you. Then the footsteps stop in front of another solitary confinement cell and when you hear the sound of the key turning you feel relieved.
    -- Sakae Menda

#Keys #Cells #Rope

• Good luck and bad luck are strands of the same rope.
    -- Sakura Tsukuba

#Good Luck #Luck #Rope

• When you're at the end of your rope, all you have to do is make one foot move out in front of the other. Just take the next step. That's all there is to it
    -- Samuel Fuller

#Moving #Feet #Rope

• I am the beast at the end of the rope.
    -- Sarah Kane

#Rope #Beast #Ends

• God and devotee are bound for ever in ropes of love
    -- Shri Radhe Maa

#Rope

• I will cling to the rope God has thrown me in Jesus Christ, even when my numb hands can no longer feel it.
    -- Sophie Scholl

#Jesus #Hands #Rope

• I would never write about anyone who is not at the end of his rope.
    -- Stanley Elkin

#Writing #Rope #Ends

• I am always chilled and astonished by the would-be writers who ask me for advice and admit, quite blithely, that they "don't have time to read." This is like a guy starting up Mount Everest saying that he didn't have time to buy any rope or pitons.
    -- Stephen King

#Guy #Advice #Rope

• Loss is the absence of something we were once attached to. Grief is the rope burns left behind, when that which is held is pulled beyond our grasp.
    -- Stephen Levine

#Grief #Loss #Rope

• For them to have the season that they had, for them to have us on the ropes ... Congrats to the Cavs.
    -- Steve Kerr

#Nba Championships #Rope #Championship

• Possibilities swung from the ropes of his life like charms on a watch chain, golden.
    -- Susan Moody

#Rope #Golden #Watches

• Are you, are you coming to the tree? Wear a necklace of rope, side by side with me. Strange things did happen here. No stranger would let it be if we met up At midnight in the hanging tree.
    -- Suzanne Collins

#Tree #Rope #Necklaces

• By the second tour I had rice cakes and hummus with me, and I was jumping rope in my room.
    -- Taylor Dane

#Cake #Jumping #Rope

• The gospel casts out a rope to hale sinners to land; but the sinner has no hands to lay hold on it; his very faith must be wrought in him by the Spirit.
    -- Thomas Boston

#Hands #Land #Rope

• Scatter money in a crowd, how they scramble for it; offer bread to the starving, how greedily they seize it; throw a rope to the drowning, how he eagerly grasps it! With like eagerness and earnestness may the Spirit of God help you to lay hold on Christ.
    -- Thomas Guthrie

#Rope #Crowds #May

• Weave me a rope that will pull me through these impossible times.
    -- Tim Finn

#Rope #Impossible

• I danced along a colored wind/ Dangled from a rope of sand
    -- Tom Waits

#Wind #Rope #Sand

• Great blunders are often made, like large ropes, of a multitude of fibres.
    -- Victor Hugo

#Rope #Made #Blunders

• The law is like rope...useful, necessary, strong, but it can be bent and twisted into all kinds of shapes depending on the occasion.
    -- W. P. Kinsella

#Strong #Law #Rope

• At home, when the heating pipes made noises, I imagined a tiny person was in there skipping with a rope. The fantasy world of tiny things became my escape.
    -- Willard Wigan

#Home #Rope #World

• I will venture to go... but remember that you must hold the ropes.
    -- William Carey

#Venture #Missionary #Rope

• Republicans and conservatives have to figure out that Democrats have plenty of rope to hang themselves on their own. But you have to give voters a reason to vote for you as well.
    -- Andrea Tantaros

#Giving #Rope #Voters

• I'd forgotten how challenging comics can be until I started working on Ropes. Yes, you're restricted by the boundaries of the page, but we all work within technical limitations of some kind.
    -- James Vance

#Challenges #Rope #Pages