Ephemeral quotes

• Nietzsche said the newspaper had replaced the prayer in the life of the modern bourgeois , meaning that the busy, the cheap, the ephemeral, had usurped all that remained of the eternal in his daily life.
    -- Allan Bloom

#Prayer #Ephemeral #Daily Life

• Ephemeral work made outside, for and about a day, lies at the core of my art and its making must be kept private.
    -- Andy Goldsworthy

#Art #Lying #Ephemeral

• Quantum field theory arose out of our need to describe the ephemeral nature of life.
    -- Anthony Zee

#Needs #Ephemeral #Fields

• We are not grand because we are at the top of the food chain or because we can alter our environment - the environment will outlast us with its unfathomable forces and unyielding powers. But rather than be bound and defeated by our insignificance, we are bold because we exercise our will anyway, despite the ephemeral and delicate presence we have in this desert, on this planet, in this universe.
    -- Aron Ralston

#Exercise #Unyielding #Ephemeral

• Happiness belongs to those who are sufficient unto themselves. For all external sources of happiness and pleasure are, by their very nature, highly uncertain, precarious, ephemeral and subject to chance.
    -- Arthur Schopenhauer

#Inspirational #Ephemeral #Chance

• The lifetime of a human being is measured by decades, the lifetime of the Sun is a hundred million times longer. Compared to a star, we are like mayflies, fleeting ephemeral creatures who live out their lives in the course of a single day.
    -- Carl Sagan

#Stars #Fleeting #Ephemeral

• Extract the eternal from the ephemeral.
    -- Charles Baudelaire

#Ephemeral

• To me, there's two kinds of music these days. There's ephemeral music, and there's music that has lasting power and depth.
    -- Daryl Hall

#Two #Depth #Ephemeral

• As music becomes less of a thing--a cylinder, a cassette, a disc--and more ephemeral, perhaps we will begin to assign an increasing value to live performances again.
    -- David Byrne

#Cylinders #Ephemeral #Music Is

• Substance is enduring, form is ephemeral.
    -- Dee Hock

#Substance #Ephemeral #Form

• But it is not that easy, is it? I seek a lasting relationship, something permanent in a world of change, in which all is transitory, ephemeral, and full of pain.
    -- Eldridge Cleaver

#Pain #World #Ephemeral

• Film is an illusion. Fame is ephemeral. Faith and family are what endure.
    -- Emilio Estevez

#Ephemeral #Film #Illusion

• Only the ephemeral is of lasting value.
    -- Eugene Ionesco

#Time #Ephemeral #Lasting

• There was a kindliness about intoxication - there was that indescribable gloss and glamour it gave, like the memories of ephemeral and faded evenings.
    -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

#Memories #Evening #Ephemeral

• True nostalgia is an ephemeral composition of disjointed memories.
    -- Florence King

#Memories #Ephemeral #Nostalgia

• What would I do without the absurd and the ephemeral?
    -- Frida Kahlo

#Ephemeral #Absurd

• He said that love was an emotion contra natura that condemned two strangers to a base and unhealthy dependence, and the more intense it was, the more ephemeral.
    -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

#Two #Ephemeral #Emotion

• This, however, is sure: nothing is really lost. Any influence for good, no matter how ephemeral, makes its mark: it helps to leaven the loaf of evil: it leaves a loophole, albeit a small one, for a future escape from bondage.
    -- Horace Annesley Vachell

#Evil #Ephemeral #Matter

• I dont make resolutions, because resolutions seem so ephemeral and transient to go away.
    -- Ian K. Smith

#Going Away #Ephemeral #Resolution

• A writer's work has to take account of many rhythms: Vulcan's and Mercury's, a message of urgency obtained by dint of patient and meticulous adjustments and an intuition so instantaneous that, when formulated, it acquires the finality of something that could never have been otherwise. But it is also the rhythm of time that passes with no other aim than to let feelings and thoughts settle down, mature, and shed all impatience or ephemeral contingency.
    -- Italo Calvino

#Feelings #Intuition #Ephemeral

• I do NOT accept the ephemeral nature of this moment. I'm going to extend it FOREVER! Or at least I'm going to try.
    -- Jason Silva

#Forever #Trying #Ephemeral

• Theater is so ephemeral, and I love that.
    -- John Malkovich

#Ephemeral #Theater

• Yet I've discovered that how I look is not a function of anything as ephemeral as my hair
    -- Judith Light

#Hair #Looks #Ephemeral

• One of the most ephemeral and important things is atmosphere and tone and it's very hard to put your finger on what creates that.
    -- Julia Leigh

#Atmosphere #Important #Ephemeral

• The importance of humility. We need the humility to know that truth can be ephemeral, that this can be but one version of the truth.
    -- Ken Auletta

#Humility #Needs #Ephemeral

• I don't like ephemeral things; I like things that last forever
    -- Laura Ashley

#Forever #Ephemeral #Lasts

• I like the ephemeral thing about theatre, every performance is like a ghost - it's there and then it's gone.
    -- Maggie Smith

#Theatre #Gone #Ephemeral

• No matter how ephemeral it is, a novel is something, while despair is nothing.
    -- Mario Vargas Llosa

#Despair #Matter #Ephemeral

• Since 1970, relationships can be more volatile, jobs more ephemeral, geographical mobility more intensified, stability of marriage weaker.
    -- Mary Douglas

#Jobs #Mobility #Ephemeral

• The images of peace are ephemeral. The language of peace is subtle. The reasons for peace, the definitions of peace, the very idea of peace have to be invented, and invented again
    -- Maxine Hong Kingston

#Ideas #Ephemeral #Definitions

• I made enough money to buy a house. That's crazy, but fame proved ephemeral.
    -- Moon Unit Zappa

#Crazy #House #Ephemeral

• People still don't appreciate how ephemeral success is.
    -- Nate Silver

#People #Appreciate #Ephemeral

• A cherry pie is . . . ephemeral. From the moment it emerges from the oven it begins a steep decline: from too hot to edible to cold to stale to mouldy, and finally to a post-pie state where only history can tell you that it was once considered food. The pie is a parable of human life.
    -- Nick Harkaway

#Pie #Ephemeral #Hot

• I am more scared now that I was at any point since I began trading, because I recognize how ephemeral success can be in this business. I know that to be successful, I have to be frightened. My biggest hits have always come after I have had a great period and I started to think that I knew something.
    -- Paul Tudor Jones

#Successful #Thinking #Ephemeral

• Say no to an ephemeral, superficial and throwaway culture, a culture that assumes that you are incapable of taking on responsibility and facing the great challenges of life!
    -- Pope Francis

#Responsibility #Challenges #Ephemeral

• In the theater, everything is ephemeral. Everything is almost weightless and without a very clear definition of how you made it.
    -- Rafael Vinoly

#Ephemeral #Definitions #Theater

• We're as ephemeral as raindrops. We all fall, and we all land somewhere.
    -- Robert Charles Wilson

#Fall #Land #Ephemeral

• Never can the innate power of a work be hidden or locked away. A work of art can be forgotten by time; it can be forbidden and rejected but the elemental will always prevail over the ephemeral.
    -- Stefan Zweig

#Art #Power #Ephemeral

• What I'm trying to do now in my life - not just with the building, but with everything - is to construct things that will have enduring qualities, and won't just be ephemeral flashes in the pan.
    -- Sylvester Stallone

#Trying #Quality #Ephemeral

• I like things you can touch and things you can keep, because every bit of communication we have is ephemeral in nature. You can just delete an e-mail and it's like it was never there.
    -- Taylor Swift

#Communication #Mail #Ephemeral

• Playwrights have texts, composers have scores, painters and sculptors have the residue of those activities, and dance is traditionally an ephemeral, effervescent, here-today-gone-tomorrow kind of thing.
    -- Twyla Tharp

#Dance #Gone #Ephemeral

• As man, as beast, as an ephemeral fly begets, Godhead begets Godhead, For things below are copies, the Great Smaragdine Tablet said. Yet all must copy copies, all increase their kind....
    -- William Butler Yeats

#Men #Tablets #Ephemeral

• Freedom is strangely ephemeral. It is something like breathing; one only becomes acutely aware of its importance when one is choking.
    -- William E. Simon

#Love #Breathing #Ephemeral

• Sound is ephemeral, fleeting, but some sort of a physical manifestation can help you hold on to it longer in time. I'm sure of this; I've always thought the sound that you make is just the tip of the iceberg, like the person that you see physically is just the tip of the iceberg as well.
    -- Yo-Yo Ma

#Tip Of The Iceberg #Fleeting #Ephemeral

• As I get older it gets harder and harder to hold on to the ephemeral excitement. When a documentary, or a screenplay, or even just a brainstorming session is going well I get to experience sense of hope, and expansiveness, even if it's just for a moment.
    -- Andrew Neel

#Ephemeral #Documentaries #Excitement

• Al-Qaeda's obituary has been written countless times over the decade. Each iteration has proved to be ephemeral, as the moment has continually shown itself to have a deeper bench than we imagine.
    -- Bruce Hoffman

#Benches #Ephemeral #Als

• Style is the most ephemeral thing I know. It's not about how effective you are it's about how you are effective.
    -- Robert Benton

#Style #Ephemeral #Knows

• The ephemeral nature of live performance is the part I love most - it's a monk's sand painting, carefully constructed, then wiped away in an instant.
    -- Rosanne Cash

#Ephemeral #Painting #Sand