Icons quotes

• Wes Craven is obviously a horror film icon so I was definitely very interested in bringing something back to life that Wes had created.
    -- Aaron Stanford

#Icons #Horror #Film

• I'm just myself, so I don't know that I think of myself as a nerd icon.
    -- Aisha Tyler

#Thinking #Icons #Nerd

• Frankly I've never really subscribed to these adjectives tagging me as an 'icon', 'superstar', etc. I've always thought of myself as an actor doing his job to the best of his ability.
    -- Amitabh Bachchan

#Jobs #Icons #Adjectives

• I like to believe that rather than destroy icons, I make new ones.
    -- Andres Serrano

#Believe #Icons

• We all shared an admiration of Debussy both as a musician and as sort of an icon for the 20th century. It seemed like an interesting idea to go right back 100 years to find the source of some new ideas now.
    -- Anne Dudley

#Years #Ideas #Icons

• I didn't really know anything about Margot Fonteyn. I'd never really been a ballet child, so I had no idea what an incredibly huge icon she was, not just in terms of a creative icon - she was also a style icon. I had no idea she was up there with Audrey Hepburn and Jackie Onassis in terms of that kind of image.
    -- Anne-Marie Duff

#Children #Ideas #Icons

• Glenn Close is a living icon. You look at the work, and I think it's wild, because she thinks some of her best work was in Dangerous Liaisons and that's what I believe as well.
    -- Anthony Anderson

#Believe #Thinking #Icons

• If Abstract Expression reached for the sublime, Pop turned ordinary imagery into icons. Roy Lichtenstein and Andy Warhol illuminated the transformative power of context and the process of reproduction. Claes Oldenburg's soft ice-cream cones and hamburgers changed sculpture from hard to soft, from stasis to transformation.
    -- Arne Glimcher

#Ice Cream #Expression #Icons

• My beauty icon is Angelina Jolie.
    -- Ashley Benson

#Icons

• Daphne Guinness, who makes couture seem wearable, is an icon who influences what I wear.
    -- Ashley Madekwe

#Icons #Influence #Couture

• I never think of myself as an icon. What is in other people's minds is not in my mind. I just do my thing.
    -- Audrey Hepburn

#Thinking #Icons #People

• My mum is my beauty icon, because she represents what I think beauty is.
    -- Bar Refaeli

#Thinking #Icons #Mum

• I’m elated. I guess it’s better late than never. Welcome to the 21st century. It’s fantastic. I love Dior, and Rihanna is very much one of my style icons. I’m happy they got there in the end. I adore her style. She loves fashion, she’s unafraid. She uses her imagination, which is something we should all strive to do.
    -- Beverly Johnson

#Fashion #Icons #Imagination

• In questioning initially whether I am a great investor, I open the door to question whether other similarly esteemed public icons like Bill Miller are as well. It seems, perhaps, that the longer and longer you keep at it in this business the more and more time you have to expose your Achilles heel - wherever and whatever that might be.
    -- Bill Gross

#Icons #Doors #Might

• In the United States those bits of our history that remain are paved over, sanitized, packaged for easy consumption. At those sites not already lost to commercial development, we walk between velvet ropes, herded by guides, warned not to touch. Our icons are preserved under glass, their magic demystified in glossy brochures.
    -- Biloine W. Young

#Glasses #Icons #History

• The bicycle is a former child's toy that has now been elevated to icon status because, presumably, it can move the human form from pillar to post without damage to the environment.
    -- Brock Yates

#Children #Moving #Icons

• Apart from death and taxes, the one thing that's certain in this life is that I'll never be a fashion icon.
    -- Bruce Dickinson

#Fashion #Icons #Life Is

• I see myself not only as a football player, but an entertainer and icon.
    -- Cam Newton

#Football #Player #Icons

• Many religions have attempted to make statues of their gods very large, and the idea, I suppose, is to make us feel small. But if that's their purpose, they can keep their paltry icons. We need only look up if we wish to feel small.
    -- Carl Sagan

#Ideas #Icons #Wish

• Harrison Ford is absolutely amazing. He is a Hollywood icon, and just to work with him was absolutely incredible.
    -- Carly Schroeder

#Icons #Hollywood #Incredibles

• It's a mark of any icon that it should be open to iconoclasm.
    -- Charles Jencks

#Icons #Iconoclasm #Should

• I think to be a true style icon, you just have to dress yourself. There are so many actresses floating around who have people picking out their outfits for them; that's hard for me to wrap my head around or celebrate.
    -- Chloe Sevigny

#Thinking #Icons #People

• To be a true icon, you have to have style emanating from you. And you have to have figured it out on your own and have a point of view, a perspective, and be able to translate it in some personal way.
    -- Chloe Sevigny

#Views #Icons #Perspective

• I dont want to be compared to Brad Pitt because I dont want to, you know, disappoint anybody. Brad Pitt is an icon.
    -- Chord Overstreet

#Icons #Want #Brad

• I am not an icon of democracy. You are all, collectively, the icon of democracy.
    -- Corazon Aquino

#Icons #Democracy

• I'm more than an actor. I'm an icon, an industry.
    -- Corey Feldman

#Icons #Actors

• My icons do not raise up the blessed savior in elaborate cathedrals. They are constructed concentrations celebrating barren rooms. They bring a limited light.
    -- Dan Flavin

#Blessed #Light #Icons

• Jonathan Wells has done us all - the scientific community, educators, and the wider public - a great service. In Icons of Evolution he has brilliantly exposed the exaggerated claims and deceptions that have persisted in standard textbook discussions of biological origins for many decades, in spite of contrary evidence. these claims have been so often repeated that they seem unassailable - that is, until one reads Wells's book.
    -- Dean H. Kenyon

#Book #Icons #Community

• We've never performed the song live outside of recording it in the studio. That was a dream come true because Whitney, she's an icon and she's been one of my main mentors in this business.
    -- Deborah Cox

#Dream #Song #Icons

• I like a basic uniform for guys. Steve Jobs is my fashion icon, because he wears the same outfit every day. If you always wear the same thing, you make a statement. Then put a bow tie on and really stand out.
    -- Dhani Jones

#Fashion #Jobs #Icons

• I don't think getting in and out of a limousine has anything to do with being an icon.
    -- Diana Ross

#Thinking #Icons #Limousines

• Gowdy had a love affair with the microphone and the fans had a love affair with him. American sports fans truly lost an icon, a legend who never felt he was bigger than anyone else. He had that humility that made him special, and he made everyone feel like they were so important.
    -- Dick Vitale

#Sports #Humility #Icons

• I look at the careers of people I'm standing on the shoulders of. People like Lena Horne, Ella Fitzgerald, Sammy Davis Jr., and Sarah Vaughan. These are icons I wanted to emulate, and I feel like they've been holding me up for quite a long time.
    -- Dionne Warwick

#Careers #Icons #Long

• Muhammad Ali - he was a magnificent fighter and he was an icon... Every head must bow, every knee must bend, every tongue must confess, thou art the greatest, the greatest of all time, Muhammad, Muhammad Ali.
    -- Don King

#Art #Icons #Tongue

• I did a couple comedies to balance myself as an actor and balance how audiences see Donnie Yen as an actor, and I would even say as a celebrity or icon, to some fans. I want to show that I'm not Terminator.
    -- Donnie Yen

#Couple #Icons #Balance

• The greatest business icons-it's not that they were worth hundreds of millions, or billions or trillions of dollars, it's that they moved society forward.
    -- Donny Deutsch

#Icons #Dollars #Billions

• I think comedians have a function in society, which is to make fun of our icons.
    -- Downtown Julie Brown

#Fun #Thinking #Icons

• I hate being called an 'icon.' I just don't like it. That's all there is to it.
    -- Edmund Hillary

#Hate #Icons #I Hate

• True interactivity is not about clicking on icons or downloading files, it's about encouraging communication.
    -- Edwin Schlossberg

#Communication #Icons #Design

• I don't really have a style icon but I really admire the way people dress like Gaga, Rihanna and Gwen Stefani. It's good to be inspired by singers who write music and dress incredibly - rather than models and people in the fashion industry who dress immaculately anyway because it's their style.
    -- Ellie Goulding

#Fashion #Writing #Icons

• Mexico has lost an icon whose work has transcended generations and borders
    -- Enrique Pena Nieto

#Icons #Borders #Generations

• Janet Jackson is an icon, I've been honored to meet her a few times, working with her would be amazing.
    -- Eric West

#Icons #Would Be #Honored

• I do not truly consider myself an icon, but the Cube has been quite successful.
    -- Erno Rubik

#Successful #Icons #Cubes

• My father left Nazi Germany a year after Dr. Kissinger, and so in my household he was very much an icon. He was a kind of immigrant success story, a refugee success story.
    -- Eugene Jarecki

#Father #Years #Icons

• That thing about being an icon, the fifth Beatle, I just found it so freaky.
    -- George Best

#Icons #Found #Freaky

• I like individuality in fashion - it annoys me when celebrities put on a bodycon dress and a pair of high heels and suddenly they are 'style icons.'
    -- Georgie Henley

#Fashion #High Heels #Icons

• 'You've got mail!' exclaims the cheery automaton at America Online. The flag on the mailbox icon waves invitingly on my computer screen. For a second, I'm 10 years old again, waiting for the postman's whistle to slice the stillness of an Australian afternoon.
    -- Geraldine Brooks

#Years #Icons #America

• Christianity taught us to see the eye of the lord looking down upon us. Such forms of knowledge project an image of reality, at the expense of reality itself. They talk figures and icons and signs, but fail to perceive forces and flows. They bind us to other realities, and especially the reality of power as it subjugates us. Their function is to tame, and the result is the fabrication of docile and obedient subjects.
    -- Gilles Deleuze

#Eye #Reality #Icons

• A friend of mine wrote a script, a feminist romantic comedy. She had a feminist scholar consult on it. My friend said, 'Oh, my friend Gillian read it and really loved it.' She goes, 'Gillian Jacobs, you mean: Britta Perry, feminist icon?'
    -- Gillian Jacobs

#Mean #Icons #Feminist

• When you're developing a story, for me anyway, it's all so important to get the script right, especially when you're telling the story of an icon. You've got to get it right. Otherwise, you'll get killed by critics and fans.
    -- Graham King

#Icons #Important #Fans

• I’m a false icon! The media collaborate in promoting my superficial lifestyle as somehow more valid, more worthy of attention than your real lives! - Gideon Stargrave
    -- Grant Morrison

#Real #Icons #Media

• If you look at the way people behave at shows, icons are now musicians; they are the people that we worship.
    -- Grimes

#Icons #People #Musician

• We take it for granted that Jesus was not interested in political life: his mission was purely religious. Indeed we have witnessed . . . the 'iconization' of the life of Jesus: 'This is a Jesus of hieratic, stereotyped gestures, all representing theological themes. In this way, the life of Jesus is no longer a human life, submerged in history, but a theological life -- an icon.
    -- Gustavo Gutiérrez

#Religious #Jesus #Icons

• An icon means nothing to me. I don't understand what it means to anybody actually. It seems like a word of convenience. It seems to attend to the huge success of certain kinds of movies that I did, but there's no personal utility in being an icon. I don't know what an icon does, except stand in a corner quietly accepting everyone's attention. I like to work, so there's no utility in being an icon.
    -- Harrison Ford

#Mean #Icons #Doe

• When you're playing an icon like Wolverine, it's sometimes better to be someone that nobody knows because they don't know what to expect. I don't mind a little bit of anonymity; it helps on the subway.
    -- Hugh Jackman

#Icons #Mind #Subway

• My style icon is anyone who makes a bloody effort
    -- Isabella Blow

#Icons #Effort #Style

• Truly saddened by the loss of one of the greatest fashion icons of all time. Oscar de la Renta will be greatly missed.
    -- Ivanka Trump

#Fashion #Loss #Icons

• I don't think that I want to meet any of the icons. I don't think that anybody can quite live up to your expectations.
    -- Jane Horrocks

#Thinking #Icons #Expectations

• A favorite Wired icon for the information feedback loop, a dragon curling in a circle to swallow its own tail, could become more apt as a symbol of the timeless libertarian paradox: Monopoly verging on feudalism emerges from unregulated competition to bite libertarianism in the posterior.
    -- Jedediah Purdy

#Dragons #Circles #Icons

• Elizabeth Taylor is one of the great cultural icons. She is a part of our history and should be celebrated.… This presentation is very special for the community, there are so many people who want to understand this side of Elizabeth Taylor.
    -- Jeffrey Deitch

#Icons #People #Community

• I really would not call myself a fashion icon. I would call myself somebody who gets dressed by professionals...I would call me more of a monkey.
    -- Jennifer Lawrence

#Fashion #Icons #Monkeys

• Alec Nevala-Lee comes roaring out of the gate with a novel that's as thrilling as it is thought-provoking, as unexpected as it is erudite. The Icon Thief is a wild ride through a fascinating and morally complex world, a puzzle Duchamp himself would have applauded. Bravo.
    -- Jesse Kellerman

#Icons #Thought Provoking #Roaring

• I am a hard-core believer that the clean desktop is the way to go... At the same time, we told OEMs that if they were going to put a bunch of icons on the desktop, then so were we.
    -- Jim Allchin

#Technology #Icons #Way

• I'm not an icon. Not even in America.
    -- John Mayer

#Icons #America

• The whole earth is a living icon of the face of God.
    -- John of Damascus

#Icons #Earth #Faces

• If a pagan asks you to show him your faith, take him into church and place him before the icons.
    -- John of Damascus

#Icons #Church #Pagan

• The whole earth is a living icon of the face of God. ... I do not worship matter. I worship the Creator of matter who became matter for my sake, who willed to take His abode in matter, who worked out my salvation through matter. Never will I cease honoring the matter which wrought my salvation! I honor it, but not as God. Because of this I salute all remaining matter with reverence, because God has filled it with his grace and power. Through it my salvation has come to me.
    -- John of Damascus

#Icons #Grace #Honor

• For those whose ganglia were formed pre-TV, the mimetic deployment of pop-culture icons seems at best an annoying tic and at worst a dangerous vapidity that compromises fiction's seriousness by dating it out of the Platonic Always, where it ought to reside.
    -- Jonathan Lethem

#Icons #Dating #Deployment

• Programs, systems and methods sit well in the ivory towers of monasteries or in the wooden arms of icons. Head knowledge comes from the pages of a theology text. But the invitation to know God - truly know Him - is always an invitation to suffer. Not to suffer alone, but to suffer with Him.
    -- Joni Eareckson Tada

#Ivory Tower #Icons #Suffering

• The English country house is certainly an icon of British culture.
    -- Julian Fellowes

#Country #Icons #House

• It's never been my purpose to become an American icon, or more famous or richer.
    -- Juliette Binoche

#Icons #Purpose

• What was new was the symbolic force of the targets struck. The attackers did not just physically cause the highest buildings in Manhattan to collapse; they also destroyed an icon in the household imagery of the American nation.
    -- Jurgen Habermas

#Icons #Target #Manhattan

• I feel very fortunate to be compared to somebody so incredible. Michael Jackson's an icon.
    -- Justin Timberlake

#Icons #Incredibles #Feels

• I am in awe, in admiration of the man who Gaius Julius Caesar was. I don't actually do him as the man himself. He is maybe a distant relative. It's hard to approach the real man because he is such an awesome icon.
    -- Karl Urban

#Real #Men #Icons

• If people are like, 'Oh, you're an icon,' then whatever. But who thinks of themselves like that? It's not like I have posters of myself on the wall.
    -- Kathleen Hanna

#Wall #Thinking #Icons

• I find the idea of today's icons being teenagers incredibly uninspiring
    -- Kathleen Turner

#Teenager #Ideas #Icons

• I really worked with icons in the music business, which really had a strong effect on me. It wasn't just pick-up gigs.
    -- Kevin Eubanks

#Strong #Icons #Gigs

• Gay icons usually have some tragedy in their lives, but I've only had tragic haircuts and outfits.
    -- Kylie Minogue

#Gay #Icons #Tragedy

• Icon of Prague, the medieval bridge crossed the Vltava between Old Town and the Little Quarter. Gothic bridge towers rose on both sides, and the whole span — pedestrian-only — was lined by monumental statues of saints.
    -- Laini Taylor

#Bridges #Icons #Rose

• I wish HP nothing but the best. I think HP is an icon. Those of us who had their careers in the Valley think of Dave Packard and Bill Hewlett as role models. We would love to be half as good as they were.
    -- Larry Ellison

#Thinking #Careers #Icons

• Marilyn Monroe and Vivienne Leigh are real icons of mine. In terms of visual culture, they are both so iconic. There weren't any paparazzi shots of them falling out of taxis, so they will always look so incredible.
    -- Lily Cole

#Real #Fall #Icons

• I think it's just important to not judge people based on their physicality because it's really about personality and people's hearts and souls. That's what drew me to Audrey Hepburn who is kind of like my icon.
    -- Lily Collins

#Heart #Thinking #Icons

• Maybe what a gay icon is, is a person who is rooted for — in other words, cheered on — by people who feel different.
    -- Liza Minnelli

#Gay #Icons #People

• The great style icons are tomboys
    -- Loulou de la Falaise

#Icons #Style

• Many aspects of our screen-bound lives are bad for our social skills simply because we get accustomed to controlling the information that comes in, managing our relationships electronically, deleting stuff that doesn't interest us. We edit the world; we select from menus; we pick and choose; our social 'group' focuses on us and disintegrates without us. This makes it rather confusing for us when we step outdoors and discover that other people's behaviour can't be deleted with a simple one-stroke command or dragged to the trash icon.
    -- Lynne Truss

#Simple #Skills #Icons

• To be a winner of that, and to fall in the long line of traditional great backs at USC, to have your name in perpetuity, the fact that your parents are like icons... that's the greatest thing.
    -- Marcus Allen

#Fall #Names #Icons

• The superhero genre speaks to a vast swath of humanity these days, and studios are in the business of constantly renewing their money-printing licenses. I sense we're nearing a saturation point with some of these icons, where it becomes more about the action figures and Happy Meals than it does the mythological heartbeat of the core ideas.
    -- Mark Frost

#Ideas #Icons #Superhero

• The fact is that until I saw paintings as icons, I couldn't see why people painted at all.
    -- Mary Pratt

#Icons #People #Saws

• American culture has a lot of great moustaches in its history. Mark Twain had a great moustache, Charlie Chaplin, Ben Turpin ... but Zappa, he's got the best moustache in American history. Got the moustache, right, and he's got that little thing on his chin, I think it's called an imperial, that is, like, the coolest thing. That's like one of the great icons of the twentieth century.
    -- Matt Groening

#Thinking #Icons #Culture

• Somebody like Mailer brings to that role everything that he stands for. The types of characters that I gravitate towards, the types of icons, tend to have a heavy physicality in that way.
    -- Matthew Barney

#Character #Icons #Way

• There is a single energy of God and the saints? they are living icons of Christ, being the same as He is, by grace rather than by assimilation.
    -- Maximus the Confessor

#Christian #Icons #Grace

• The trouble is that the hockey stick graph become an icon and deniers reckoned if they could smash the icon, the whole concept of global warming would be destroyed with it.
    -- Michael E. Mann

#Hockey #Icons #Sticks

• John Lee Hooker became a friend of mine and I love all of his work. He was truly an icon. He lived the life. I miss him.
    -- Mick Fleetwood

#Icons #Missing

• I am honored to even be considered for any list that includes such icons as Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles. I have had posters of those guys hanging over my bed for years now. I find the whole thing quite arousing.
    -- Misha Collins

#Years #Icons #Guy

• Cranes carry this heavy mystical baggage. They're icons of fidelity and happiness. The Vietnamese believe cranes cart our souls up to heaven on our wings.
    -- Mitchell Burgess

#Believe #Wings #Icons

• There is only going to be one Kate Moss. Kate is an icon.
    -- Naomi Campbell

#Icons #Moss

• I know I should keep this a secret, but Celine Dion is something of an icon to me.
    -- Natasha Bedingfield

#Icons #Secret #Celine

• For many, the icon of the British Museum is the Rosetta Stone, that administrative by-product of the Greek imperial adventure in Africa.
    -- Neil MacGregor

#Adventure #Icons #Museums

• My ultimate style icon is Grace Jones.
    -- Nick Rhodes

#Icons #Grace #Style

• I have no doubt about a photographer in particular and a digital artist in general having become contemporary icons.
    -- Nikolay Semyonov

#Art #Icons #Doubt