Spain quotes

• I am quite sure that very few of the so-called Reds in Spain were really Communists. We were badly deceived, for, had I known the real state of affairs, I would never have allowed our aircraft to bombard and destroy a starving population and at the same time re-establish the Spanish clergy in all their horrible privileges. (10th February 1945)
    -- Adolf Hitler

#Real #Spain #Population

• I like the south of Spain, notably for the Moorish influence and the weather.
    -- Alexei Sayle

#Weather #Spain #Influence

• Up until the time I was 31 years old, in Spain, I still didn't know how I was going to pay the rent.
    -- Antonio Banderas

#Years #Spain #Pay

• Here in Spain, there are Argentine Jews, children and grandchildren of immigrants of Jews who fled Germany or Austria in the thirties, and in the seventies during the dictatorship, they had to go into exile again.
    -- Antonio Munoz Molina

#Children #Spain #Germany

• The consequences of a collapse would not be pretty. Whichever country precipitated it - Germany by threatening to abandon the euro, or Greece or Spain by actually doing so - would trigger economic chaos and incur its neighbours' wrath.
    -- Barry Eichengreen

#Country #Wrath #Spain

• If you'd be wealthy, think of saving, more than of getting: The Indies have not made Spain rich, because her Outgoes equal her Incomes.
    -- Benjamin Franklin

#Thinking #Spain #Income

• Superciliousness is not safe after all, because a person who forms the habit of wearing it may some day find his lower lip grown permanently projected beyond the upper, so that he can't get it back, and must go through life looking like the King of Spain.
    -- Booth Tarkington

#Kings #Book #Spain

• Immigrants in Norway must learn Norwegian. The same should Spaniards in Spain do, if they want to work with Norwegians.
    -- Carl I. Hagen

#Spain #Want #Norway

• To this day the Arab influence is evident in southern Italy, northern Africa and, above all, in Spain.
    -- Carroll Quigley

#Southern #Spain #Individualism

• The failure of Christianity in the areas west from Sicily was even greater, and was increased by the spread of Arab outlooks and influence to that area, and especially to Spain.
    -- Carroll Quigley

#Failure #Spain #West

• I've done quite a few adverts. I've also done some presenting and acting work in Spain. I did a lot of Spanish education videos for people wanting to learn English.
    -- Christopher Parker

#People #Acting #Spain

• Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer, dead at 53. Over Barcelona today, the famed reindeer was hit by a flock of seagulls and a 747. Eyewitnesses report, that the reindeer in Spain was hit mainly by the plane.
    -- Colin Mochrie

#Spain #Reindeer #Red

• I was born in Havana, Cuba and raised in Madrid, Spain. Then I moved to New Jersey.
    -- Daisy Fuentes

#Spain #Cuba #Madrid

• My favourite setting are England, because I was born here and love it, and Spain, because it's fabulous and so romantic.
    -- Diana Hamilton

#And Love #Spain #Fabulous

• Though [Abraham Lincoln] never would travel to Europe, he went with Shakespeare's kings to Merry England; he went with Lord Byron poetry to Spain and Portugal. Literature allowed him to transcend his surroundings.
    -- Doris Kearns Goodwin

#Kings #Europe #Spain

• The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain
    -- Eliza Doolittle

#Rain #Spain

• Spain- a great whale stranded on the shores of Europe.
    -- Elizabeth Oakes Smith

#Europe #Whales #Spain

• If you come from Spain, you have to play football.
    -- Enrique Iglesias

#Football #Play #Spain

• We tried many times before to speed on the social revolution in Spain; attempted to stir up the feelings of the people and to raise the banner of Libertarian Communism.
    -- Federica Montseny

#People #Feelings #Spain

• Never will the Anarchists in Spain be made to suffer as they have been and are in Russia.
    -- Federica Montseny

#Russia #Suffering #Spain

• In Spain, we should have enough intelligence, enough sense of individual and collective responsibility to do for ourselves that which would be imposed upon us by a dictatorship.
    -- Federica Montseny

#Responsibility #Spain #Would Be

• Our constancy, same might call it our madness, was necessary to wear down the oppressive forces of the old democracy which, in Spain, was a hundred years behind the times.
    -- Federica Montseny

#Years #Democracy #Spain

• In Spain, the dead are more alive than the dead of any other country in the world.
    -- Federico Garcia Lorca

#Country #Spain #Alive

• In Spain there were no TV rights for Formula One.
    -- Fernando Alonso

#Rights #Tvs #Spain

• In the middle of the sixteenth century, Spain was the incubus of Europe. Gloomy and portentous, she chilled the world with her baneful shadow.
    -- Francis Parkman

#Europe #Shadow #Spain

• Barcelona are my favourite team in Spain, let's put it that way.
    -- Frank Lampard

#Team #Spain #Way

• I would sooner be a foreigner in Spain than in most countries. How easy it is to make friends in Spain!
    -- George Orwell

#Country #Spain #Easy

• If we were the problem, it would be very convenient - kick Greece out, everything's fine. What would happen to Spain, what about Portugal, what about Italy, what about the whole of the euro zone? We need more cooperation and less simplification and prejudice.
    -- George Papandreou

#Spain #Prejudice #Would Be

• I describe my works as books, but my publishers in Spain, in the United States, and elsewhere insist on calling them novels
    -- Guillermo Cabrera Infante

#Book #United States #Spain

• All of the American's foreign wars have been fought with foes either too weak to resist them or too heavily engaged elsewhere to make more than a half-hearted attempt. The combats with Mexico and Spain were not wars; they were simply lynchings.
    -- H. L. Mencken

#War #Lynching #Spain

• I once worked as a tour guide in the Costa del Sol of Spain.
    -- Harlan Coben

#Spain #Guides #Tour Guides

• for ... austere and gracious allegory, as for so much of its mysticism and its chivalry, its ardours and its endurances, the world is in debt to Spain.
    -- Helen Waddell

#Europe #Spain #Debt

• In rural Spain, at least, it is far better to arrive than to travel, however hopefully.
    -- Honor Tracy

#Europe #Spain #Hopefully

• Clive Dunn, as I understand it, retired to the south of Spain, where he worked extensively in watercolours. I don't own any of Clive Dunn's watercolours. I loved him in 'Dad's Army,' loved him. But not enough to actually seek out his watercolour work.
    -- Hugh Laurie

#Dad #Army #Spain

• If another euro country fails, so does Slovakia. Our economy is 80% open and if the citizens of Spain and Portugal have no money to buy cars made here in Slovakia then that will be bad for us. Everything is connected.
    -- Iveta Radicova

#Country #Car #Spain

• Catch a boat to England baby, maybe to Spain. Wherever I have gone, wherever I've been and gone, wherever I have gone... The blues are all the same.
    -- Jackson C. Frank

#Baby #Spain #Gone

• I've always said that playing rugby in Spain is like being a bullfighter in Japan.
    -- Javier Bardem

#Japan #Spain #Rugby

• Because I was born in Casablanca and my parents were from the south of Spain, I do not have a big central root in France. I feel French but in a few ways, not at all French.
    -- Jean Reno

#Roots #Parent #Spain

• I don't think Spain will need any kind of external support.
    -- Jean-Claude Juncker

#Thinking #Support #Spain

• I absolutely would not have liked playing in Spain or somewhere like that, so I was just gonna do it a year. Then I was gonna be done.
    -- Jeremy Lin

#Years #Spain #Done

• I would very much like to make Westerns. I love Westerns. I've worked on many Westerns in my youth, in Spain and here, and I love working on them.
    -- John Landis

#Spain #Youth

• The culture of modern Spain is something many people are still discovering.
    -- Jose Andres

#People #Spain #Culture

• I studied cooking in Spain after college.
    -- Jose Garces

#College #Cooking #Spain

• Castilian Spanish speaking Spain is big, but is bigger in addition with Catalonian speaking Spain, Galician speaking Spain and Basque speaking Spain. Democratic Spain, Constitutional Spain, can not be separated from diversity and the respect to the citizenship
    -- Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero

#Diversity #Spain #Citizenship

• Although the recession is strong and although hard times await us in the next 2 or 3 months, Spain will continue to grow in the second quarter of 2009.
    -- Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero

#Strong #Hard Times #Spain

• If the Philippines secure their independence after heroic and stubborn conflicts, they can rest assured that neither England, nor Germany, nor France, and still less Holland, will dare to take up what Spain has been unable to hold.
    -- Jose Rizal

#Independence #Spain #Germany

• Had Mr. Gibbon lived in France, Spain, or Italy, he might with the fame reason have ranked the doctrine of transubstantiation, and the worship of saints and angels among the essentials of Christianity, as the doctrines of the trinity and of the atonement.
    -- Joseph Priestley

#Angel #Spain #Essentials

• And it is because a series of elements in Spanish life which operate today the same way as they did in the times of Blanco White made obvious my relationship with him, based on a similarity in Spain's condition.
    -- Juan Goytisolo

#White #Spain #Elements

• I am going to Spain to fight an army without a general, and thence to the East to fight a general without an army.
    -- Julius Caesar

#Fighting #Army #Spain

• I loved everything about Spain - the people, the language, and the food!
    -- Karlie Kloss

#People #Spain #Language

• In the last 1,000 years, the Arabs have translated as many books as Spain translates in just one year.
    -- Larry Elder

#Book #Years #Spain

• Who, in the midst of passion, is vigilant against illness? Who listens to the reports of recently decimated populations in Spain, India, Bora Bora, when new lips, tongues and poems fill the world?
    -- Lauren Groff

#Passion #India #Spain

• When a manufacturing company in Spain looks to IBM for a solution to a problem, they expect us to bring the best of IBM worldwide to it, not just the experience of IBM Spain.
    -- Lou Gerstner

#Spain #Looks #Problem

• Greece is at a dangerous crossroads. Other countries-Portugal, Ireland, maybe Spain-are coming behind it.
    -- Loukas Tsoukalis

#Country #Spain #Portugal

• In the medium and long term. Spain is solvent and able to pay its high debts. In the short-term, we have the capacity to meet our obligations.
    -- Luis de Guindos

#Long #Spain #Debt

• The battle of the euro is being fought right now in Spain and Italy. The future of the euro is at stake in the next weeks.
    -- Luis de Guindos

#Battle #Spain #Next

• In the literature of France Moliere occupies the same kind of position as Cervantes in that of Spain, Dante in that of Italy, and Shakespeare in that of England. His glory is more than national - it is universal.
    -- Lytton Strachey

#England #Spain #Literature

• Everything is global now. It's not London, it's not Spain, it's not Italy - everything is everywhere. So you have to be everywhere, I guess.
    -- Manolo Blahnik

#Spain #London

• The worst thing a government can do now in Spain is to do nothing
    -- Mariano Rajoy

#Government #Spain #Worst

• There are countries that are near ours which are in the situation which we all know. I want to say that this is not the case of Spain now and it will not be in the future.
    -- Mariano Rajoy

#Country #Want #Spain

• Spain is facing an economic situation of extreme difficulty, I repeat, of extreme difficulty, and anyone who doesn't understand that is fooling themselves.
    -- Mariano Rajoy

#Spain #Economic #Situation

• If Spain goes under, Italy will come under even more scrutiny.
    -- Mario Monti

#Spain #Scrutiny

• Im truly the best singer in the country. My kind of pop music is the best in Spain.
    -- Marta Sanchez

#Country #Singers #Spain

• In Spain there's the king - and then there's Antonio.
    -- Melanie Griffith

#Kings #Spain #Antonio

• Gerry Dawes, I can't thank you enough for opening up Spain to me.
    -- Michael Chiarello

#Opening Up #Spain #Enough

• In southern Spain, they made me eat a bull's testicles. They were really garlicky, which I don't like. I prefer to take a bull by the horns, not by, um...
    -- Padma Lakshmi

#Southern #Bulls #Spain

• I cook croquetas, and I eat jamon. I keep my diet 100% Mediterranean and drink my Rioja. In that sense, I have a piece of Spain in West Hollywood.
    -- Paz Vega

#Spain #Pieces #West

• All my life is in Spain. I will stay.
    -- Paz Vega

#Spain #Life Is

• I was born at a bad time for Spain, but a really good one for cinema.
    -- Pedro Almodovar

#Cinema #Spain #Bad Times

• In Spain, actresses work until they are old. That's my plan.
    -- Penelope Cruz

#Actresses #Spain #Plans

• In Spain," indeed! He would have got no closer than the Indies if I had not showed him how to do it. Stupid puppy.
    -- Philippa Gregory

#Stupid #Spain #Puppy

• I live where I would like to live. I live in Majorca, Spain, and I am not sure there are better places.
    -- Rafael Nadal

#Spain #Not Sure

• The flavour of a fish which comes out of the sea at Acre is not similar to the flavour of a fish which comes out of the sea in Spain.
    -- Rashi

#Sea #Acres #Spain

• I was not happy as a traveller, I did not feel really at home anywhere I went, even in Spain which was the most I felt at home, I still was a foreigner. I missed Australia, and I can't tell why. It's just this is what I grew up with and this is the things I wanted to make meaning of in my life.
    -- Richard Meale

#Home #Australia #Spain

• Italy and Spain really are not my countries.
    -- Ruud van Nistelrooy

#Country #Spain #Individualism

• What I believe is this: Catalunya is not Spain, it is something else and you have to feel it.
    -- Thierry Henry

#Believe #Spain #I Believe

• Even Holland and Spain have been positively, though not relatively, advancing.
    -- Thomas B. Macaulay

#Progress #Spain #Holland

• Modeling, for me, was not fulfilling. I didn't see the point - although I was able to travel a great deal. I lived in Italy, Germany, and Spain, but I wasn't devoted to it.
    -- Tom Welling

#Germany #Able #Spain

• The Marxist analysis has got nothing to do with what happened in Stalin's Russia: it's like blaming Jesus Christ for the Inquisition in Spain.
    -- Tony Benn

#Jesus #Russia #Spain

• Spain used to be very individualistic in its sporting activities. Now we are showing we are pretty good in teams - that is an improvement.
    -- Vicente del Bosque

#Team #Spain #Improvement

• Yes, I would agree that America, just like Spain was in the 17th Century, is the main empire of the world and they are the ones who, on the surface, are the most pushy: pushing their language, pushing their culture - or what there is of it - pushing by force their system on others.
    -- Viggo Mortensen

#America #Spain #Culture

• Like Spain, I am bound to the past.
    -- William S. Burroughs

#Past #Spain

• Spain is an overflow of sombreness . . . a strong and threatening tide of history meets you at the frontier.
    -- Wyndham Lewis

#Strong #Tides #Spain

• It's almost impossible to imagine bullfighting abolished from Spain entirely. Values do change, though.
    -- Bette Ford

#Spain #Bullfighting #Impossible

• For example, it's often forgotten that [Albert ] Camus was extremely hostile [farouche] towards the [Francisco] Franco regime, and right to the end. He refused to travel to Spain, he left UNESCO because UNESCO accepted Franco's Spain and allowed it a discourse.
    -- Catherine Camus

#Spain #Example #Forgotten

• Communism then defines a society in which there are communal forms for dealing with resources. Many communal forms exist where there are not communist governments. The Mondragon cooperatives in Spain and the thousands of worker-owned cooperatives in the United States, are viable alternatives to capitalism.
    -- Cynthia Kauffman

#Government #United States #Spain

• Some countries need extra stimulus in specific areas. Something has to be done against high youth unemployment in Greece and Spain, for example. But in the end, there is no way around it: The debt levels have to come down.
    -- Dalia Grybauskaite

#Country #Spain #Example

• In England they need a king, in Spain they need a king, in France there is no more king. But they consider the president as if he was a king.
    -- Gaspar Noe

#Kings #President #Spain

• The manager has always shown a lot of faith in me, and the fact that I gave up my home in Barcelona and family in Barcelona to come to Liverpool shows how much faith I have in Rafael Benitez.
    -- Luis Garcia

#Home #Spain #Barcelona

• Ryanair brings lots of different cultures to the beaches of Spain, Greece and Italy, where they couple and copulate in the interests of pan-European peace.
    -- Michael O'Leary

#Beach #Couple #Spain

• I'm from Spain, and in Spain, things in the '80s after the dictatorship, it was like a big explosion of freedom.
    -- Miguel Angel Silvestre

#Spain #Explosions #Bigs

• Everybody in 15th century Spain was wrong about where China was and as a result, Columbus discovered Caribbean vacations.
    -- P. J. O'Rourke

#Vacation #Columbus #Spain

• You can go to Spain, and Cubans are looked down upon. It's strange how people chop up where you're from.
    -- Prefuse 73

#People #Spain #Strange

• I've worked in animation for a long time. I started in Spain and I wanted to make feature films. That desire to figure out how to make animated features brought me to the U.S. to work for Disney.
    -- Raul Garcia

#Long #Desire #Spain

• I speak Spanish because I grew up overseas in Spain, Uruguay and Argentina.
    -- Bitsie Tulloch

#Spain #Argentina #Speak

• A person can do a lot of reading and research as I have done. I went to Spain and spent a whole summer there with my family, immersing myself in the culture. But all that isn't really necessary to experience the music.
    -- Maya Beiser

#Summer #Reading #Spain

• It was a thought, that. Not to attach yourself to a man, but to confront instead the open world, the wide fields of France and Spain, the ocean, anything. Not just to hitch a lift with the first fellow who looked as though he knew where he was going, but just to go.
    -- Jo Baker

#Ocean #Men #Spain