Engineering quotes

• Everybody should be ashamed who uses the wonders of science and engineering without thinking and having mentally realized not more of it than a cow realizes of the botany of the plants which it eats with pleasure.
    -- Albert Einstein

#Thinking #Engineering #Use

• In my fool hardy youth, when my friends were dreaming of heroic deeds in the realms of engineering and law, finance and national politics, I dreamt of becoming a librarian.
    -- Alberto Manguel

#Dream #Engineering #Law

• I always say prepare to be a coach to anybody who wants to be a coach. At 24 years of age when I left engineering to become full time in football, I made sure that I was never going back to engineering.
    -- Alex Ferguson

#Football #Engineering #Years

• I loved history in my school days, and I have always been a voracious reader. But in India, you end up doing MBA, engineering or medicine.
    -- Amish Tripathi

#School #Engineering #Mba

• The transition from the concept of information in the technical (communication engineering) sense to the semantic (theory of meaning) sense was indeed difficult, if not impossible.
    -- Anatol Rapoport

#Communication #Engineering #Transition

• What made Manhattan Manhattan was the underground infrastructure, that engineering marvel.
    -- Andrew Cuomo

#Engineering #Manhattan #Made

• A beaver does not, as legend would have it, know which direction the tree will fall when he cuts it, but counts on alacrity to make up for lack of engineering expertise.
    -- Ann Zwinger

#Fall #Cutting #Engineering

• The chief forms of beauty are order and symmetry and definiteness, which the mathematical sciences demonstrate in a special degree.
    -- Aristotle

#Science #Engineering #Order

• Hippocrates is an excellent geometer but a complete fool in everyday affairs.
    -- Aristotle

#Science #Engineering #Everyday

• The inspirational value of the space program is probably of far greater importance to education than any input of dollars... A whole generation is growing up which has been attracted to the hard disciplines of science and engineering by the romance of space.
    -- Arthur C. Clarke

#Growing Up #Space #Engineering

• An ocean traveler has even more vividly the impression that the ocean is made of waves than that it is made of water.
    -- Arthur Eddington

#Ocean #Science #Engineering

• Our engineering departments build freeways which destroy a city or a landscape, in the process.
    -- Arthur Erickson

#Artist #Engineering #Cities

• I happen to love engineering. I love figuring things out in a spatial sense, that whole realm of working with mechanical parts, and the relationship of the parts, and things like ratios and the speeds of particular objects.
    -- Arthur Ganson

#Engineering #Ratios #Speed

• Great triumphs of engineering genius-the locomotive, the truss bridge, the steel rail- ... are rather invention than engineering proper.
    -- Arthur M. Wellington

#Engineering #Bridges #Triumph

• Copying is about reverse-engineering.
    -- Austin Kleon

#Engineering #Copying #Reverse

• Leonardo Da Vinci combined art and science and aesthetics and engineering, that kind of unity is needed once again.
    -- Ben Shneiderman

#Art #Engineering #Design

• I kind of think of engineering like the chefs at a restaurant. Nobody's going to deny chefs are integrally important, but there's also so many other people who contribute to a great meal.
    -- Ben Silbermann

#Thinking #Engineering #People

• Engineering is too important to wait for science.
    -- Benoit Mandelbrot

#Engineering #Waiting #Important

• Being a language, mathematics may be used not only to inform but also, among other things, to seduce.
    -- Benoit Mandelbrot

#Science #Engineering #May

• When I was working in my first job engineering construction, what I liked the most was working with architects and making buildings that had this creative side coming from the architect and that were making them a big success.
    -- Bernard Arnault

#Jobs #Engineering #Creative

• I don't know technology and engineering. I don't know accounting.
    -- Bernard Ebbers

#Technology #Engineering #Economy

• We know very little, and yet it is astonishing that we know so much, and still more astonishing that so little knowledge can give us so much power.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#Philosophical #Science #Engineering

• I think a craft becomes an art form when the space of possible solutions becomes so huge that engineering can't carry you through.
    -- Bill Budge

#Art #Thinking #Engineering

• There's nothing I believe in more strongly than getting young people interested in science and engineering, for a better tomorrow, for all humankind.
    -- Bill Nye

#Believe #Engineering #People

• Forcing automakers to sell smaller cars to improve fuel economy [is like]... fighting the nation's obesity problem by forcing clothing manufacturers to sell garments in only small sizes.
    -- Bob Lutz

#Fighting #Science #Engineering

• Art and design are not luxuries, nor somehow incompatible with science and engineering,
    -- Bran Ferren

#Art #Engineering #Luxury

• At MakerBot, we joke that if we were engineers we would still be on our first prototype. There's something about just 'Doing it”iteration is a way of engineering.
    -- Bre Pettis

#Engineering #Way #Firsts

• Engineering stimulates the mind.
    -- Bruce Dickinson

#Engineering #Mind

• Don't ask me to put up a shelf, but I love engineering.
    -- Bruce Dickinson

#Engineering #Shelves #Ask Me

• Teachers need to be more inspirational. But it's also up to engineering to make itself more interesting.
    -- Bruce Dickinson

#Teacher #Engineering #Interesting

• This is not the internet the world needs, or the internet its creators envisioned. We need to take it back. And by we, I mean the engineering community.
    -- Bruce Schneier

#Mean #Engineering #Community

• Mile tracks put more emphasis on the driver. On the longer tracks, you can drive flat out all the way around, so it's more of an engineering exercise. On a mile, you can't run flat out. You're constantly in traffic, there's more driver involvement.
    -- Buddy Rice

#Running #Exercise #Engineering

• The sand should be neither coarse nor fine but of a middling quality or about the size of the common pop(p)y seed. If the sand is too coarse the mortar will be short or brittle . . . If the sand is too fine the cement will shrink and crack after it has been used.
    -- Canvass White

#Engineering #Quality #Cracks

• The valuable properties of this cement depend in a great measure on the mode of preparing it for use. The mixing should therefore be conducted with care in order to form a perfect union of the powdered cement, sand and water. This can be best accomplished by the use of the New England corn hoe on a board floor or by beating with a hand stamper; not much labour is required if properly applied. Mechanics can judge when the mixture is perfect by the appearance of the mortar, which, when properly prepared, very much resembles putty.
    -- Canvass White

#Hands #Order #Engineering

• This cement can be used in any situation and for any purpose to which any other mortar or hydraulic cement can be applied. It does not become perfectly hard within one or two months.
    -- Canvass White

#Engineering #Two #Months

• To every bushel of the powdered cement add one bushel of sand, mix them together and pass them through a sieve, then add a sufficient quantity of water to make it (by well mixing and working) about the consistency of a soft putty. It is then fit to use but should not be kept more than six or eight hours and should be thoroughly worked just before it is used.
    -- Canvass White

#Eight #Engineering #Water

• I studied engineering in the national university, the Universidad Autonoma, in San Ildefonso.
    -- Carlos Slim

#Engineering #University

• One of the great inventions of the twentieth century was the studied, methodical engineering of myth for political ends.
    -- Caryl Rivers

#Engineering #Political #Invention

• When I became the NASA administrator — or before I became the NASA administrator — (Obama) charged me with three things. One was he wanted me to help re-inspire children to want to get into science and math, he wanted me to expand our international relationships, and third, and perhaps foremost, he wanted me to find a way to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science … and math and engineering.
    -- Charles Bolden

#Children #Math #Engineering

• A problem well stated is a problem half-solved.
    -- Charles Kettering

#Creativity #Engineering #Innovation

• If we taught music the way we try to teach engineering, in an unbroken four year course, we could end up with all theory and no music. When we study music, we start to practice from the beginning, and we practice for the entire time...
    -- Charles Kettering

#Teaching #Engineering #Years

• This attempt to ban smoking is an example of social engineering on a vast scale. Such massive intervention in the private lives and choices of one quarter of our adult population recalls the extremism of Prohibition, the last national crusade against a supposed social evil.
    -- Charles Orville Whitley

#Engineering #Evil #Choices

• The heel is engineering in itself. This little thing that supports the human weight has to have a precise balance.
    -- Christian Louboutin

#Engineering #Support #Balance

• ...there was some kind of connection between the capacity to love and the capacity to love *running*. The engineering was certainly the same: both depended on loosening your grip on your own desires, putting aside what you wanted and appreciating what you've got, being patient and forgiving and... undemanding...maybe we shouldn't be surprised that getting better at one could make you better at the other.
    -- Christopher McDougall

#Running #Engineering #Appreciate

• I reckon that the Bailey Bridge and the bulldozer were the greatest advances in military engineering in the years between World War I and World War II.
    -- Christopher Vokes

#Military #War #Engineering

• The first time you do something, it's science. The second time, it's engineering. The third time, it's just being a technician. I'm a scientist. Once I do something, I want to do something else.
    -- Clifford Stoll

#Engineering #Want #Firsts

• We don’t care about what you did yesterday—we care about what you’re going to do tomorrow.
    -- Cory Doctorow

#Engineering #Yesterday #Care

• The engineering is secondary to the vision.
    -- Cynthia Ozick

#Engineering #Vision

• I do engineering, not religion.
    -- Daniel J. Bernstein

#Engineering

• But I decided I wanted more education and I had to make a choice between starting law school, which was interesting to me, and going for a graduate degree in engineering.
    -- Daniel J. Evans

#School #Engineering #Law

• And then, when I went into the Navy, there was no choice. You took about half of the hours during your naval training as naval courses and the other half were engineering.
    -- Daniel J. Evans

#Engineering #Choices #Navy

• I did graduate with a bachelor's degree in civil engineering in 1948.
    -- Daniel J. Evans

#Graduation #Engineering #Degrees

• I do quite like Gehry's Guggenheim. But where in Bilbao it's seen as an outgrowth of years of investment in urban design and engineering, in Britain it's seen as the catalyst for urban regeneration rather than the icing on the cake.
    -- David Chipperfield

#Engineering #Years #Cake

• Similarly for marking exercises, quantitative exercises, maybe not so much in mathematics, but certainly problem sets in physics, chemistry, and engineering and things like that where answers and methods are clear cut, absolutely. I would like to see that done online.
    -- David Gelernter

#Cutting #Exercise #Engineering

• What is innovation if not our ticket to every business interest in the world? Its the ticket to solving the worlds problems - the energy problems, the pollution problems, the global warming problems. If it isnt for science and engineering, how will we compete in the new world?
    -- David Pogue

#Engineering #Innovation #Energy

• At their best, at their most creative, science and engineering are attributes of liberty-noble expressions of man's God-given right to investigate and explore the universe without fear of social or political or religious reprisals.
    -- David Sarnoff

#Religious #Men #Engineering

• Google has helped raise the importance of DNS above the network engineering community, which has been really good.
    -- David Ulevitch

#Engineering #Community #Google

• So I went for engineering, specifically product design, which I enjoyed.
    -- Debi Thomas

#Engineering #Design #Product Design

• With the advent of genetic engineering the time required for the evolution of new species may literally collapse.
    -- Dee Hock

#Engineering #May #Evolution

• I used to be a chemical-engineering student, but I started studying acting, and I went for a cattle call, up against hundreds of people. They tore me down because I was too tall. They said "How tall are you?" "6'5"." "Next.
    -- Dolph Lundgren

#Engineering #People #Acting

• An algorithm must be seen to be believed.
    -- Donald Knuth

#Engineering #Algorithms #Computer Science

• Engineering and mixing are absolutely key. Once a song is done, for me personally, it's usually two or three days to get the mix down.
    -- Dr. Dre

#Song #Keys #Engineering

• Biological engineering is not necessarily understanding systems but rather, I want to be able to design and build biological systems to perform particular applications.
    -- Drew Endy

#Engineering #Design #Understanding

• To define it rudely but not ineptly, engineering is the art of doing for 10 shillings what any fool can do for a pound
    -- Duke of Wellington

#Art #Engineering #Fool

• Scientists at MIT and engineering schools all across America say that they could improve the fuel economy standards for the existing set of vehicles by 10 miles per gallon using existing technology, without compromising safety or comfort at all.
    -- Ed Markey

#School #Technology #Engineering

• The required techniques of effective reasoning are pretty formal, but as long as programming is done by people that don't master them, the software crisis will remain with us and will be considered an incurable disease. And you know what incurable diseases do: they invite the quacks and charlatans in, who in this case take the form of Software Engineering gurus.
    -- Edsger Dijkstra

#Engineering #Long #People

• … what society overwhelmingly asks for is snake oil. Of course, the snake oil has the most impressive names — otherwise you would be selling nothing — like “Structured Analysis and Design”, “Software Engineering”, “Maturity Models”, “Management Information Systems”, “Integrated Project Support Environments” “Object Orientation” and “Business Process Re-engineering”.
    -- Edsger Dijkstra

#Maturity #Engineering #Snakes

• The engineering of consent is the very essence of the democratic process, the freedom to persuade and suggest.
    -- Edward Bernays

#Freedom #Engineering #Essence

• Any person or organization depends ultimately on public approval, and is therefore faced with the problem of engineering the public's consent to a program or goal.
    -- Edward Bernays

#Engineering #Organization #Goal

• I have long aspired to make our company a noble prototype of industry, penetrating in science, reliable in engineering, creative in aesthetics and wholesomely prosperous in economics.
    -- Edwin Land

#Engineering #Long #Creative

• I think of modern marriage as a car strangely fashioned out of an old abandoned horse carriage, built upon the framework of a mule cart. All the original engineering is still there, underneath it all.
    -- Elizabeth Gilbert

#Horse #Thinking #Engineering

• Software engineering is not about right and wrong but only better and worse
    -- Ellen Ullman

#Engineering #Software #Software Engineering

• I've always written. I'm from an older generation of programmers [who] did not come out of engineering. [A]ll sorts of people were drawn in from the social sciences and humanities.
    -- Ellen Ullman

#Engineering #People #Humanity

• Any impatient student of mathematics or science or engineering who is irked by having algebraic symbolism thrust upon him should try to get along without it for a week.
    -- Eric Temple Bell

#Engineering #Symbolism #Trying

• A system needs to be alive and workable even when other people than the first enthusiasts start using it. Reinvention and revolution are enthusiast stuff. Invention and evolution are engineering.
    -- Erik Naggum

#Engineering #People #Firsts

• The more physics you have the less engineering you need.
    -- Ernest Rutherford

#Engineering #Needs #Physics

• Historically, the British have always been rather wary of grand engineering projects - perhaps understandably, given that many of them have been delivered late and over budget.
    -- Evan Davis

#Engineering #Projects #British

• Crossrail is a prime example of infrastructure. It is a rather deadly word, but I think it is exciting stuff, the civil engineering which makes Britain tick - the bridges, tunnels, power and water networks, which bind us together.
    -- Evan Davis

#Thinking #Tunnels #Engineering

• I think through education, belief in God, and good engineering, our children become a lot better at what they're doing than we did, and that starts with the very first sign of life on the face of this earth.
    -- Evel Knievel

#Children #Thinking #Engineering

• You can do reverse engineering, but you can’t do reverse hacking.
    -- Francis Crick

#Engineering #Hacking #Reverse

• Trying to determine the structure of a protein by UV spectroscopy was like trying to determine the structure of a piano by listening to the sound it made while being dropped down a flight of stairs.
    -- Francis Crick

#Science #Engineering #Piano

• I received my undergraduate degree in engineering in 1939 and a Master of Science degree in mathematical physics in 1941 at Steven Institute of Technology.
    -- Frederick Reines

#Graduation #Technology #Engineering

• In life sciences, we find a reasonable balance between men and women. In engineering and computer science, we have a major problem. A very small percentage of women will be in computer science.
    -- Freeman A. Hrabowski III

#Men #Engineering #Balance

• Most people don't realize that it's not just minorities who don't do well in science and engineering - quite frankly, you're talking about Americans.
    -- Freeman A. Hrabowski III

#Educational #Engineering #Talking

• A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering.
    -- Freeman Dyson

#Science #Engineering #Ideas

• Software Engineering is that part of Computer Science which is too difficult for the Computer Scientist.
    -- Friedrich L. Bauer

#Engineering #Computer #Scientist

• With the subsequent strong support from cybernetics , the concepts of systems thinking and systems theory became integral parts of the established scientific language, and led to numerous new methodologies and applications -- systems engineering, systems analysis, systems dynamics, and so on.
    -- Fritjof Capra

#Strong #Thinking #Engineering

• For decades engineers have stood accused that their buildings do not have any cultural value. We have attempted to liberate engineering of this accusation.
    -- Fritz Todt

#Engineering #Building #Accusation

• For decades engineers have stood accused that their buildings do not have any cultural value. We have attempted to liberate engineering of this accusation. As National Socialists we are dedicated to working with boldness, but also with love of the Volk and our landscape in mind. These roads do not serve transportation alone, they also bind our Fatherland. In these highways our engineering will reflect the National Socialist movement.
    -- Fritz Todt

#Engineering #Mind #Movement

• Communication is like the basics of mechanical engineering, the more moving parts you have the more likely it is to break down!
    -- Garrison Wynn

#Moving #Communication #Engineering

• Inventing is the resolution of technical contradictions.
    -- Genrich Altshuller

#Engineering #Contradiction #Resolution

• The neutrality and clarity of an engineering drawing is a better model for teaching about art than all the uncontrollable drivel about the cabbala and metaphysics and the ecstasy of sainthood.
    -- George Grosz

#Art #Teaching #Engineering

• Being smart in the arts is the same as being smart in engineering is the same as being smart in writing is the same as being smart in anything, really. It's the ability to manipulate all the pieces of the puzzle in your mind, try to fit them together, and when they don't fit quite right... you sand the edges/corners and make them all fit.
    -- Gerald Jay Sussman

#Art #Writing #Engineering

• I use minimal software to make my music - a wav editor and a calculator for my beats to make sure everything falls on mathematical precision. If you were just mapping this out visually, it works by math. I guess it's slightly engineering influenced.
    -- Girl Talk

#Fall #Math #Engineering

• I've never seen a job being done by a five-hundred-person engineering team that couldn't be done better by fifty people.
    -- Gordon Bell

#Jobs #Team #Engineering

• Engineering is not merely knowing and being knowledgeable, like a walking encyclopedia; engineering is not merely analysis; engineering is not merely the possession of the capacity to get elegant solutions to non-existent engineering problems; engineering is practicing the art of the organizing forces of technological change ... Engineers operate at the interface between science and society.
    -- Gordon S. Brown

#Art #Engineering #Knowing

• Ah, bien je prétends que les courbes des quatre areêtes du monument, telles que le calcul les a fournies, donneront une grand impression de force et de beauté. Well, I think the curves of the four pillars of the monument, as the calculations have provided them, give it a great sense of force and beauty.
    -- Gustave Eiffel

#Thinking #Curves #Engineering

• The first principle of architectural beauty is that the essential lines of a construction be determined by a perfect appropriateness to its use.
    -- Gustave Eiffel

#Engineering #Perfect #Principles

• The switch from 'steam engines' to 'heat engines' signals the transition from engineering practice to theoretical science.
    -- Hans Christian von Baeyer

#Engineering #Practice #Transition

• A good sermon is an engineering operation by which a chasm is bridged so that the spiritual goods on one side-the 'unsearchable riches of Christ' - are actually transported into personal lives upon the other.
    -- Harry Emerson Fosdick

#Spiritual #Engineering #Riches