Hearing quotes

• I love hearing my audience breathe.
    -- Adele

#Self Esteem #Hearing #Breathe

• Other times when I hear the wind blow I feel that just hearing the wind blow makes it worth being born.
    -- Al Berto

#Blow #Wind #Hearing

• Of course witnessing poverty was the first to be ticked off the list. Then I had to graduate to the more obscure stuff. Being in a riot was something I pursued with a truly obsessive zeal, along with being tear-gassed and hearing gunshots fired in anger.
    -- Alex Garland

#Tears #Stuff #Hearing

• There is something noble in hearing myself ill spoken of, when I am doing well;
    -- Alexander the Great

#Noble #Hearing #Ill

• I truly loved doing the videos, but it has been hard hearing all the time that you're just the Aerosmith chick.
    -- Alicia Silverstone

#Video #Hearing #Aerosmith

• It's a great way to start the day, hearing you've been nominated for an Emmy. It's just thrilling.
    -- Allison Janney

#Great Day #Way #Hearing

• I'm sitting here watching Hannah Montana, so I'm not going to annihilate 4.3 million Pakistanis without hearing directly from someone whose authority I recognize!
    -- Andre Braugher

#Sitting #Montana #Hearing

• There is something about hearing your president affirm your humanity that you don't know what effect it has until you hear it.
    -- Andrew Sullivan

#Humanity #President #Hearing

• If I do three interviews in a day, I can be exhausted, because the process of hearing everyone requires that I empty out myself. While I'm listening, my own judgments and prejudices certainly come up. But I know I won't get anything unless I get those things out of the way.
    -- Anna Deavere Smith

#Listening #Hearing #Interviews

• Music is natural law as related to the sense of hearing.
    -- Anton Webern

#Law #Hearing #Natural

• A fool contributes nothing worth hearing and takes offense at everything.
    -- Aristotle

#Hearing #Fool #Nonsense

• When will talkers refrain from evil speaking? When listeners refrain from evil hearing. At present there are many so credulous of evil, they will receive suspicions and impressions against persons whom they don't know, from a person whom they do know--an authority good for nothing.
    -- Augustus William Hare

#Evil #Hearing #Authority

• When will talkers refrain from evil speaking: when listeners refrain from evil-hearing.
    -- Augustus William Hare

#Evil #Hearing #Refrain

• And when I've been away from my family and friends, I have felt good hearing some of those old songs.
    -- Beau Bridges

#Song #Family And Friends #Hearing

• I’m skeptical of passive learning. If you don’t write down what you’re hearing and learning, what the odds you remember it?
    -- Ben Casnocha

#Writing #Odds #Hearing

• You wish to see; listen. Hearing is a step toward Vision.
    -- Bernard of Clairvaux

#Vision #Wish #Hearing

• If I was hearing something I couldn't do, I would figure out how to do it.
    -- Bill Bruford

#Hearing #Figures

• One of the drawbacks of English is you can't spell things by hearing them.
    -- Bill Nye

#Hearing #Drawbacks

• I'm used to hearing myself. My own voice.
    -- Billy Eckstine

#Voice #Hearing #Used

• The 2011 riots in England, which left five dead and caused more than $300 million in property damage, were fueled by a generation of young Brits who grew up without ever hearing the word No.
    -- Bob Barr

#Generations #Hearing #Damage

• ....there is a difference between hearing and listening. You can't always help what you hear. But you can control what holds your interest, what you choose to dwell on.
    -- Brandon Mull

#Differences #Listening #Hearing

• A lot of musicians have a tough time hearing what we're doing in a trio format.
    -- Branford Marsalis

#Tough Times #Musician #Hearing

• Whenever you listen to a piece of music, what you are actually doing is hearing the latest sentence in a very long story you’ve been listening to - all the pieces of music you’ve ever heard.
    -- Brian Eno

#Long #Listening #Hearing

• Not only is love blind, it’s a little hard of hearing.
    -- Brian P. Cleary

#Littles #Hearing #Blind

• On hearing about powerful love, respond, be moved like an aesthete. Only, fortunate as you've been, remember how much your imagination created for you.
    -- C.P. Cavafy

#Powerful #Imagination #Hearing

• I was in Deadwood at the time and on hearing of the killing made my way at once to the scene of the shooting and found that my friend had been killed by McCall.
    -- Calamity Jane

#Shooting #Way #Hearing

• You know you're hearing from God when you don't walk away with facts but you walk away with faith.
    -- Carl Lentz

#Hearing #Facts #Walks

• In a complex universe, in a society undergoing unprecedented change, how can we find the truth if we are not willing to question everything and to give a fair hearing to everything?
    -- Carl Sagan

#Giving #Hearing #Willing

• The charges are false and despicable. I have not received a fair hearing. This is un-American. All the lawyering will provoke an untoward outcome.
    -- Catherine Crier

#Outcomes #Hearing #Provoking

• Troubles, even the dullest, are always mildly interesting at the first hearing ...
    -- Celia Fremlin

#Interesting #Hearing #Firsts

• As a member of the House Select Committee on Intelligence, I will be participating in several hearings on the startling revelations contained in the report.
    -- Charles Bass

#House #Hearing #Revelations

• When recordings replaced concerts as the dominant mode of hearing music, our conception of the nature of performance and of music itself was altered.
    -- Charles Rosen

#Hearing #Concerts #Performances

• Sometimes even hearing a bad idea is a great way to get to a good idea.
    -- Charlie Day

#Ideas #Way #Hearing

• Say that again, Commonwealth whit? (translation: what?) I'm no used tae hearing that.
    -- Charlie Flynn

#Boxing #Hearing #Used

• I don't even like hearing my own voice on an answering machine.
    -- China Chow

#Voice #Machines #Hearing

• In every enterprise ... the mind is always reasoning, and, even when we seem to act without a motive, an instinctive logic still directs the mind. Only we are not aware of it, because we begin by reasoning before we know or say that we are reasoning, just as we begin by speaking before we observe that we are speaking, and just as we begin by seeing and hearing before we know what we see or what we hear.
    -- Claude Bernard

#Mind #Hearing #Logic

• Be fond of hearing rather than of talking.
    -- Cleobulus

#Good Life #Talking #Hearing

• The thing about the internet is we take everything too far. Once something becomes "popular" in our realm, it's everywhere, and I get sick of hearing about it quickly.
    -- Connor Franta

#Sick #Hearing #Internet

• It starts when you begin to overlook good manners. Any time you quit hearing Sir and Mam the end is pretty much in sight...
    -- Cormac McCarthy

#Sight #Hearing #Quitting

• The surface of learning is hearing what your ears aren't prepared to hear, and the core of learning is hearing what your ears don't want to hear.
    -- Criss Jami

#Ears #Want #Hearing

• It now becomes clear why the Bush Administration has been vigorously opposing congressional hearings. The Bush Administration has been engaged in a conspiracy of silence.
    -- Cynthia McKinney

#Silence #Hearing #Administration

• The world is equally shocked at hearing Christianity criticized and seeing it practiced.
    -- D. Elton Trueblood

#World #Hearing #Christianity

• She looked at him, and oh, the weariness to her, of the effort to understand another language, the weariness of hearing him, attending to him, making out who he was, as he stood there fair-bearded and alien, looking at her. She knew something of him, of his eyes. But she could not grasp him. She closed her eyes.
    -- D. H. Lawrence

#Eye #Effort #Hearing

• Her hearing was keener than his, and she heard silences he was unaware of.
    -- D. M. Thomas

#Silence #Hearing #Heard

• Even before the hearings that led to confirmation of Chief Justice Roberts, senators were saying they were reserving judgment on how they would vote until they got to know him better at the hearings.
    -- Dana Perino

#Justice #Hearing #Vote

• And in English you have this wonderful difference between listening and hearing, and that you can hear without listening, and you can listen and not hear.
    -- Daniel Barenboim

#Differences #Listening #Hearing

• When we have an experience -- hearing a particular sonata, making love with a particular person, watching the sun set from a particular window of a particular room -- on successive occasions, we quickly begin to adapt to it, and the experience yields less pleasure each time. Psychologists call this habituation, economists call it declining marginal utility, and the rest of us call it marriage
    -- Daniel Gilbert

#Yield #Making Love #Hearing

• You are more likely to learn something by finding surprises in your own behavior than by hearing surprising facts about people in general.
    -- Daniel Kahneman

#People #Hearing #Facts

• It was important to me to find a label that wouldn't back out after a first single. Everyone's so used to hearing me with Hootie, they're going to be skeptical.
    -- Darius Rucker

#Important #Labels #Hearing

• The first choral music I remember hearing was Handel's 'Messiah' when the Mormon Tabernacle Choir broadcast it over the radio.
    -- Dave Brubeck

#Radio #Hearing #Firsts

• The standard is clear. If something we think, see, hear, or do distances us from the Holy Ghost, then we should stop thinking, seeing, hearing, or doing that thing...Because we estrange the Spirit of the Lord when we engage in activities we know we should shun, then such things definitely are not for us.
    -- David A. Bednar

#Distance #Thinking #Hearing

• The conscious mind is not at the center of the action in the brain; instead, it is far out on a distant edge, hearing but whispers of the activity.
    -- David Eagleman

#Brain #Mind #Hearing

• There is something so intimate about saying the truth out loud. There is something so intimate about hearing the truth said. There is something so intimate about sharing the truth, even if you are not entirely sure what it means.
    -- David Levithan

#Mean #Hearing #Intimate

• To me, the object of practicing is to allow you to play what you hear. But you're always hearing new things, so you never get to the end of it.
    -- David Sanborn

#Play #Hearing #Ends

• Hearing the missionary call has a great deal to do with what you are listening for.
    -- David Sills

#Listening #Missionary #Hearing

• It is no good hearing an inner voice or getting an inner prompting if you do not immediately act on that inner prompting.
    -- David Spangler

#Voice #Acting #Hearing

• Maybe it's whiner's fatigue, but I'm getting tired of hearing about how hard it is to start a company and be a CEO. It's not that hard.
    -- David Ulevitch

#Tired #Hearing #Whiners

• Faith comes by hearing all the Word, not just preferred sections.
    -- David Wilkerson

#Hearing

• Joe McCarthy and his Senate hearings were like witch-hunts.
    -- Desi Arnaz

#Hearing #Witch #Joe Mccarthy

• People aren't hearing all the music
    -- Dr. Dre

#People #Hearing

• Nothing's worse than telling your family you got a pilot, hearing the pilot got picked up, and then finding out it's not in the fall lineup.
    -- Dreama Walker

#Fall #Pilots #Hearing

• I have selective hearing.
    -- Eddie Van Halen

#Hearing

• I'm tired of hearing you men say that this and that and the other isn't woman's work. Any work is woman's work that a woman can do well.
    -- Edna Ferber

#Tired #Men #Hearing

• I knew the exuberance of playing before an admiring audience and hearing my secret voice.
    -- Elia Kazan

#Voice #Secret #Hearing

• It's too hard to present an opinion on something that's not true to who you are. It's much easier to base opinions and debates off of fact and your true heart on things. To me that just comes quite naturally, and it's also about being open to what the debate is about and hearing the other side.
    -- Elisabeth Hasselbeck

#Heart #Hearing #Facts

• He shrank from hearing Margaret's very name mentioned; he, while he blamed her--while he was jealous of her--while he renounced her--he loved her sorely, in spite of himself.
    -- Elizabeth Gaskell

#Jealous #Names #Hearing

• Most of the basic truths of life sound absurd at first hearing.
    -- Elizabeth Goudge

#Sound #Hearing #Firsts

• I'd rather go on hearing your lies, than to go on living without you.
    -- Elvis Presley

#Lying #Goes On #Hearing

• Never underestimate the joy people derive from hearing something they already know.
    -- Enrico Fermi

#People #Joy #Hearing

• I don't like working in a studio, at all. I just prefer to be on location, rather than hearing the bells of the studio going off. It's like being in Las Vegas, where no one knows the time and there are no windows.
    -- Eric Bana

#Vegas #Bells #Hearing

• Hearing is a form of touch. I could hear less through the ears but more through the body.
    -- Evelyn Glennie

#Ears #Body #Hearing

• Hearing is a form of touch. You feel it through your body, and sometimes it almost hits your face.
    -- Evelyn Glennie

#Silence #Body #Hearing

• Before my teen years, I was losing my hearing pretty quickly, and I was getting very, very angry. I was beginning to become an angry person because of that.
    -- Evelyn Glennie

#Years #Hearing #Losing

• Hearing my songs in public freaks me out a bit. There was one restaurant I really liked in L.A., but I had to stop going there when they started playing my music. It felt kinda awkward.
    -- Fiona Apple

#Song #Awkward #Hearing

• Since hearing beauty in something is essentially a positive response and hearing ugliness is negative, might it ultimately be more difficult for an open-minded listener to define ugliness than it is to define beauty?
    -- Frank J. Oteri

#Negative #Might #Hearing

• The Christian life is not knowing or hearing, but doing.
    -- Frederick William Robertson

#Christian #Knowing #Hearing

• For years I've been hearing 20-somethings say they don't expect Social Security to be around when they hit 65. Eventually, I came to realize that they really mean that they just don't expect to be 65. Or 40. Neither did I, when I was 22.
    -- Gail Collins

#Mean #Years #Hearing

• I was always hearing that I was pale and thin and small.
    -- Georg Brandes

#Hearing #Pale

• No matter what you do, you're always hearing something.
    -- George Brecht

#Listening #Matter #Hearing

• Since a woman must wear chains, I would have the pleasure of hearing 'em rattle a little.
    -- George Farquhar

#Ems #Littles #Hearing

• Of course, I also attribute some of my hearing loss to being in the infantry in World War II. It's probably a combination of heredity and noise exposure.
    -- George Kennedy

#War #Loss #Hearing

• Sometimes someone feels like nothing goes their way, and then something really good happens. For me, hearing that I made someone happy makes me feel so alive!
    -- Gilles Marini

#Alive #Way #Hearing

• Hearing things like 'Wake Up' by Lora Logic, or the Raincoats' 'In Love' - that was something I wasn't prepared for. I couldn't hear anything that came before it in the music, and I didn't want to. I was absolutely in love with its out-of-nowhereness.
    -- Greil Marcus

#Wake Up #Want #Hearing

• I hadn't really noticed that I had a hearing problem. I just thought most people had given up on speaking clearly.
    -- Hal Linden

#People #Hearing #Problem

• On 5 September, when the TUC unanimously rejected wage restraint, it was the end of an era, and all the financiers, all the little gnomes in Zürich and other finance centres about whom we keep on hearing, had started to make their dispositions in regard to sterling.
    -- Harold Wilson

#Littles #Hearing #Eras

• All these financiers, all the little gnomes of Zürich and the other financial centres, about whom we keep on hearing.
    -- Harold Wilson

#Business #Littles #Hearing

• The people must grant a hearing to the best poets they have else they will never have better.
    -- Harriet Monroe

#People #Hearing #Poet

• It happens so quickly it seems like it's coming from somewhere else. It's not It just means that you're in sync with yourself. And whatever your goal is, in terms of hearing a melody or a lyric, the closer you get to it, the faster it comes out and the easier it is to "spit it out", as it were.
    -- Harry Nilsson

#Mean #Goal #Hearing

• Funny how mishearing things-or not hearing them at all-can really screw things up
    -- Heather Brewer

#Hearing #Screws

• When you lose your vision, you lose contact with things. When you lose your hearing, you lose contact with people.
    -- Helen Keller

#People #Vision #Hearing

• Music is perpetual, and only the hearing is intermittent.
    -- Henry David Thoreau

#Music #Hearing #Music Is

• The formation of scales and of the web of harmony is a product of artistic invention, and is in no way given by the natural structure or by the natural behaviour of our hearing, as used to be generally maintained hitherto.
    -- Hermann von Helmholtz

#Behaviour #Way #Hearing

• How did the hearing go?” she asked. “We won, sort of,” Kaldar said. “We die at dawn.” “The court gave the Sheeriles twenty-four hours,” William corrected. “Yes, but ‘we die at dawn the day after tomorrow’ doesn’t sound nearly as dramatic.” “Does it have to be dramatic all the time?” Catherine murmured. “Of course. Everyone has a talent. Yours is crocheting and mine is making melodramatic statements.
    -- Ilona Andrews

#Four #Hearing #Dawn

• I've always worn earplugs, but I'm sure my hearing's not great.
    -- J Mascis

#Hearing #Worn

• There must not only be good preaching, but good hearing.
    -- J. C. Ryle

#Hearing #Be Good #Preaching

• I began hearing rumors of apossible recording session with Neil Young. I was a huge fan of Neil's.
    -- Jack Irons

#Rumor #Fans #Hearing

• Did money give people a blind spot? Rob them of their hearing?
    -- Jacqueline Susann

#People #Giving #Hearing

• She had told him that she loved him. He had known that, but hearing it in the traditional phrase had affected him in new and blinding ways. Ways that made him believe that he could do anything. Anything she needed or wanted him to do. Because her loving him meant so much more than him loving her.
    -- Jacquelyn Frank

#Believe #Hearing #Phrases

• When thou standest still from thinking and willing of self, the eternal hearing, seeing, and speaking will be revealed to thee, and so God heareth and seeth through thee. Thine own hearing, willing, and seeing hindereth thee, that thou dost not see nor hear God.
    -- Jakob Bohme

#Thinking #Self #Hearing

• The new critique you're gonna start hearing about James Franco, is 'He's spreading himself too thin.'
    -- James Franco

#Hearing #Franco #Critique