Pirate quotes

• I've always been a huge fan of the 'Pirates of the Caribbean' movies.
    -- Abigail Breslin

#Pirate #Fans #Caribbean

• Leafing through Forbes or Fortune [magazine]s is like reading the operating manual of a strangely sanctimonious pirate ship
    -- Adam Gopnik

#Reading #Pirate #Magazines

• The next few years are going to be horrendous in the UK. The last thing we need is a Somali pirate-style raid on the few wealth creators who still dare to navigate Britain's gale-force waters.
    -- Andrew Lloyd Webber

#Years #Water #Pirate

• As to hanging, it is no great hardship. For were it not for that, every cowardly fellow would turn pirate and so unfit the sea, that men of courage must starve.
    -- Anne Bonny

#Men #Sea #Pirate

• I would say probably Pirates of Silicon Valley just because I'm proud of the work, playing Gates.
    -- Anthony Michael Hall

#Pirate #Valleys #Proud

• Damn to him who ever lived to wear a Halter!
    -- Bartholomew Roberts

#Pirate

• In an honest service there is thin commons, low wages, and hard labor; in this, plenty and satiety, pleasure and ease, liberty and power; and who would not balance creditor on this side, when all the hazard that is run for it, at worst, is only a sour look or two at choking. No, a merry life and a short one, shall be my motto.
    -- Bartholomew Roberts

#Running #Two #Pirate

• There is none of you but will hang me, I know, whenever you can clinch me within your power.
    -- Bartholomew Roberts

#Pirate

• Even pirates, before they attack another ship, hoist a black flag.
    -- Bela Kiraly

#Pirate #Black #Flags

• I'm probably the only person who actually remembers pirate radio.
    -- Bill Nighy

#Pirate #Radio #Remember

• Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -- Blackbeard

#Giving #Pirate #Soul

• Let's jump on board, and cut them to pieces.
    -- Blackbeard

#Cutting #Pirate #Boards

• What's a pirate minus the ship? just a creative homeless guy
    -- Bo Burnham

#Creative #Guy #Pirate

• I like to think of myself as a pirate and you're just walking that person out on the plank. And then you pull them back when you get what you want. Of course, sometimes, in the beginning, you're going to push a little too far.
    -- Bob Johnson

#Thinking #Pirate #Want

• It’s only a scratch, don’t cut my arm off!
    -- Carrie Vaughn

#Cutting #Pirate #Scratches

• Ananna of Tanarau is a delightfully irascible heroine, inhabiting a fascinating and fresh new world that I would love to spend more time in. Pirate ships? Camels? Shadow dwelling assassins? Yes please! Can I have some more?
    -- Celine Kiernan

#Dwelling #Pirate #Shadow

• One of my favourite messages about The Pirate Fairy is that the story is about appreciating your own talents.
    -- Christina Hendricks

#Appreciate #Pirate #Stories

• Here's the problem right now; the person who is savvy enough to want to have a good PC to upgrade their video card, is a person who is savvy enough to know bit torrent to know all the elements so they can pirate software. Therefore, high-end videogames are suffering very much on the PC.
    -- Cliff Bleszinski

#Pirate #Suffering #Video

• Right, and you point out something important which is that people who don’t want to pay, people who are pirates, don’t get bothered by the DRM, they go out and buy the cracked books or download the cracked books for free. It’s only people who are foolish enough to pay for them that get locked into these platforms.
    -- Cory Doctorow

#Book #People #Pirate

• Robots should stand up for themselves and not try to be humans. They should either utterly destroy us or protect us from aliens. And vampires. And pirates.
    -- Daniel H. Wilson

#Pirate #Vampire #Trying

• It's abundantly clear by now that no DRM system can stop serious pirates. A DRM system that stops serious pirates, and simultaneously gives broad leeway to ordinary users, is even harder to imagine.
    -- Edward Felten

#Giving #Pirate #Drm

• --Hero!? Forget it! We're Pirates! I love heroes but I don't wanna become one! Do you even know what it takes to be a Hero!? Lets say you have some meat okay? Now a Pirate would chomp down on that bad boy, but a hero would share it with everyone!! I want to eat meat!""--Hero!? Forget it! We're Pirates! I love heroes but I don't wanna become one! Do you even know what it takes to be a Hero!? Lets say you have some meat okay? Now a Pirate would chomp down on that bad boy, but a hero would share it with everyone!! I want to eat meat!" - Monkey D. Luffy
    -- Eiichiro Oda

#Hero #Boys #Pirate

• Suddenly you're like a pirate, you're 65 years old and you've got an earring.
    -- Fred Willard

#Years #Pirate

• I never wanted to be a dancer. It's true! I wanted to be a shortstop for the Pittsburgh Pirates.
    -- Gene Kelly

#Dancer #Pirate #Pittsburgh

• Hermeneutics is a way of looking at Being as an inheritance that is never considered as ultimate data. Capitalism has always grown by considering, or forcing another to consider, as a 'natural' possession what is inherited. The great dominating families are really the inheritors of the strongest pirates, thieves, and bandits, and they consider themselves entitled to command through a divine or natural law, when they really are only the result of a forgotten 'violence'.
    -- Gianni Vattimo

#Law #Data #Pirate

• Here's your first problem," he said, pointing at a sentence. "'Religion is the opium of the people.' Well, I don't know about people, but I think you'll find that the opium of pirates is actual opium.
    -- Gideon Defoe

#Thinking #People #Pirate

• With a sound like a bat hitting a watermelon, pirate fist connected with pirate jaw and a gold tooth bounced across the deck.
    -- Gideon Defoe

#Pirate #Gold #Sound

• My agent called and said, 'How do you feel about a pirate movie? I mean, how often are you going to get that call? It's sort of the singularly most failed genre of our time, but I thought it had to be attempted one more time. I think there's something rebellious about pirates, something revolutionary about them. They came out of a time when things were oppressive; you could get hung for stealing a loaf of bread. For me, the Pirates films are about when it's right to break the rules to achieve what you want.
    -- Gore Verbinski

#Mean #Thinking #Pirate

• Come, don't be in a fright, but put on your clothes, and I'll let you into a secret. You must know that I am Captain of this ship now, and this is my cabin, therefore you must walk out. I am bound to Madagascar, with a design of making my own fortune, and that of all the brave fellows joined with me...if you have a mind to make one of us, we will receive you, and if you'll turn sober, and mind your business, perhaps in time I may make you one of my Lieutenants, if not, here's a boat alongside and you shall be set ashore.
    -- Henry Every

#Clothes #Pirate #Brave

• How much greater would their contributions to the U.S. economy be if U.S. copyright owners could access foreign markets otherwise dominated by pirate product?
    -- Howard Berman

#Pirate #Economy #Owners

• Hark ye, you Cocklyn and la Bouche, I find by strengthening you, I have put a rod into your hands to whip myself, but I am still able to deal with you both; but since we met in love, let us part in love, for I find that three of a trade can never agree.
    -- Howell Davis

#Hands #Pirate #Able

• --

• The horizon has been defeated by the pirates of the new age.
    -- Jack Johnson

#Future #Pirate #Age

• Blackmailers never explain their thinking. They're like pirates that way. Dark-hearted, dangerous--- and cool like Johnny Depp.
    -- Janette Rallison

#Dark #Thinking #Pirate

• Yes, I am a pirate two hundred years too late.
    -- Jimmy Buffett

#Years #Two #Pirate

• First, she wanted to taste the sweat that shone on his throat and fragile clavicle; then he chose to undo the tails of her shirt, that she had tied up beneath her breasts; then, but then impatient they forgot about taking turns and quarreled silently, eagerly over each other, like pirates dividing treasure long sought, long imagined, long withheld.
    -- John Crowley

#Sweat #Long #Pirate

• Well, it was never supposed to be like that. Walt died before we had finished. The original idea of Walt's was that you came down there, into the caves, and there were no pirates. But they had been there just seconds before! There was a hot meal on the table, steaming.
    -- John Hench

#Artist #Ideas #Pirate

• What happen to the pirates we are supposed to see? Then we go down the chutes, and it's where the pirates were. But they're all gone. There is nothing but skeletons down here!
    -- John Hench

#Artist #Skeletons #Pirate

• ... I tried to end our little duel. I called out pacifying words; I entreated; I finally surrendered. Still Clyde came, my pirate costume so great a success that it had apparently convinced him that we were back in the golden days of romantic old New Orleans when gentlemen decided matters of hot dog honor at twenty paces
    -- John Kennedy Toole

#Dog #New Orleans #Pirate

• Drink a health to the wonders of the western world, the pirates, preachers, poteen-makers, with the jobbing jockies; parching peelers, and the juries fill their stomachs selling judgments of the English law.
    -- John Millington Synge

#Law #Pirate #World

• Classic nineteenth century European imperialists believed they were literally on a mission. I don't believe that the imperialists these days have that same sense of public service. They are simply pirates.
    -- John Pilger

#Believe #Pirate #Classic

• Life's pretty good, and why wouldn't it be? I'm a pirate, after all.
    -- Johnny Depp

#Pirate

• My daughter was asked by a little old lady in a London hotel restaurant what her daddy did. She answered, “He’s a pirate” - I was very proud of that answer.
    -- Johnny Depp

#Daughter #Daddy #Pirate

• I never thought I'd ever do a pirate bar, to be honest with you.
    -- Jon Taffer

#Pirate #Bars #Honest

• They are more properly ‘The Messengers of Satan to buffet us.’ No rulers are properly God’s ministers, but such as are ‘just, ruling in the fear of God.’ When once magistrates act contrary to their office, and the end of their institution when they rob and ruin the public, instead of being guardians of its peace … they immediately cease to be the ordinance and ministers of God, and no more deserve that glorious character than common pirates and highwaymen.
    -- Jonathan Mayhew

#Character #Office #Pirate

• I don't want to waste the precious moments I have, and I've felt that way since I was 17. I have to take risks because why else would you be alive? Put your pirate patch on and go on an adventure because you only have one life to live.
    -- Kathleen Hanna

#Adventure #Pirate #Risk

• Even a woman who has the soul of a pirate, at least pirate morals, even a woman who ... has constraints to heterosexual marriage, even a woman who is a freak in our society needs a home. The only characteristic freaks share is our knowledge that we don't fit in.
    -- Kathy Acker

#Home #Pirate #Soul

• I have become interested in languages which I cannot make up, which I cannot create or even create in: I have become interested in languages which I can only come up upon (as I disappear), a pirate upon buried treasure. The dreamer, the dreaming, the dream. I call these languages, languages of the body.
    -- Kathy Acker

#Dream #Pirate #Treasure

• As a pirate, she once undressed a fencing instructor using only her sword!
    -- Kathy Reichs

#Pirate #Fencing #Instructors

• When I was about 5 I think, I desperately wanted to be a pirate and have the hat and everything.
    -- Keira Knightley

#Hate #Thinking #Pirate

• It's not everyday you get to do a pirate movie, you might as well go for it.
    -- Keira Knightley

#Pirate #Everyday #Might

• Every generation welcomes the pirates from the last.
    -- Lawrence Lessig

#Pirate #Generations #Lasts

• A taste for adventure is by no means a masculine monopoly.
    -- Lloyd Alexander

#Adventure #Mean #Pirate

• He does kiss like a pirate though, I was able to re-affirm that.
    -- Lora Leigh

#Kissing #Pirate #Doe

• And the men who loan money to governments, so called, for the purpose of enabling the latter to rob, enslave, and murder their people, are among the greatest villains that the world has ever seen. And they as much deserve to be hunted and killed (if they cannot otherwise be got rid of) as any slave traders, robbers, or pirates that ever lived.
    -- Lysander Spooner

#Men #People #Pirate

• Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.
    -- Mark Twain

#Pirate #Sailing #Good God

• If you want to get my attention, wear a pirate outfit.
    -- Michelle Branch

#Pirate #Attention #Want

• I have a pirate fetish-I just always thought eye patches were sexy. If you want to get my attention, wear a pirate outfit.
    -- Michelle Branch

#Sexy #Eye #Pirate

• Someone has said that to plagiarise from the ancients is to play the pirate beyond the Equator, but that to steal from the moderns is to pick pockets at street corners.
    -- Nicolas Chamfort

#Pirate #Stealing

• A captured pirate was brought before Alexander the Great. “How dare you molest the sea?” asked Alexander. “How dare you molest the whole world?” the pirate replied, and continued: “Because I do it with a little ship only, I am called a thief; you, doing it with a great navy, are called an emperor.
    -- Noam Chomsky

#Sea #Pirate #Navy

• I wondered how they would top the Pirates and skeletons and moonlight, because that's a pretty cool concept.
    -- Orlando Bloom

#Skeletons #Pirate #Moonlight

• I have played a boxer, a cowboy, a knight, a prince, an elf and a pirate. I am so glad to have done all of that already.
    -- Orlando Bloom

#Cowboy #Knights #Pirate

• They treat me like a fox, a cunning fellow ( Schlaukopf ) of the first rank. But the truth is that with a gentleman I am always a gentleman and a half, and when I have to do with a pirate, I try to be a pirate and a half.
    -- Otto von Bismarck

#Pirate #Gentleman #Trying

• Pirate historians have now discovered social history, the branch of history which in the last two decades or so has been the most dynamic and inventive, in both senses of the word.
    -- Peter Earle

#Two #Pirate #Branches

• The English also had a reputation, shared with the Dutch, for blowing up their ships to avoid capture. In 1611, for instance, the Spanish Admiral Don Pedro de toledo captured a Turkish pirate ship, but its English consort, 'being wont to seek a voluntary death rather than yield, blew up their ship when they saw resistance useless'. Blowing up their ships, or at least threatening to do so, would become standard pirate practice.
    -- Peter Earle

#Practice #Yield #Pirate

• Aren't most of you descended from pirates?
    -- Prince Philip

#Pirate #Classic

• It was like walking into a treasure trove of books, hoarded by pirate librarians.
    -- Pseudonymous Bosch

#Book #Pirate #Treasure

• I like Pirate's Booty. Prunes and olives, too. I love hummus. I can eat that until I die. I tend to eat mostly organic food.
    -- Queen Latifah

#Pirate #Olives #Booty

• Especially with four insanely angry, sword-carrying pirates bearing down on you, followed closely by an alien with a genetic malfunction that posed like Elvis Presley and looked slightly like a cross between a koala and a cuddly dog.
    -- Ridley Pearson

#Dog #Koalas #Pirate

• My access to music when I was growing up was through pirate radio, you know, transistor radio under the pillow, listening to one more and then 'just one more' until your favourite track comes on.
    -- Robert Palmer

#Growing Up #Track #Pirate

• Thoughts of being a pirate and stealing her away to my ship race across my mind. Although I’m not a pirate, and she’s not my captured princess.
    -- Simone Elkeles

#Princess #Race #Pirate

• My major league debut came at old Busch Stadium on Grand Avenue in St. Louis against the Pittsburgh Pirates.
    -- Steve Carlton

#League #Pirate #Pittsburgh

• Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?
    -- Steve Jobs

#Business #Humorous #Pirate

• It's better to be a pirate than to join the navy.
    -- Steve Jobs

#Memorable #Pirate #Navy

• I feel domesticity just slipping off me. It is a choice. Either one can let it go or one can intensify it. The people who intensify it seem to get quite a lot of interest out of that, too, and are as preoccupied as pirates.
    -- Sylvia Townsend Warner

#People #Pirate #Choices

• Pirates have always fascinated me.
    -- Tanith Lee

#Pirate

• Some pirates achieved immortality by great deeds of cruelty or derring-do. Some achieved immortality by amassing great wealth. But the captain had long ago decided that he would, on the whole, prefer to achieve immortality by not dying.
    -- Terry Pratchett

#Long #Pirate #Dying

• I don't really know much about pirates, or pirate culture. I'd be a contrarian pirate.
    -- Todd Barry

#Pirate #Culture

• Pirates could happen to anyone.
    -- Tom Stoppard

#Pirate

• It is a glorious thing To be a Pirate King.
    -- W. S. Gilbert

#Kings #Pirate #Glorious

• Writers are there to write, not experience things. If you want to experience things, become a pirate or a Bookhunter. If you want to write, write. If you can't find the makings of a story inside yourself, you won't find them anywhere.
    -- Walter Moers

#Writing #Pirate #Want

• It was mid-November 2008. There were pirates taking ships with impunity in African waters, terrorists punching holes in Indian security, China sinking towards depression because Americans were afraid to buy cheap goods for Christmas, and the richest nation in the history of the world was talking about how to keep a budget.
    -- Walter Mosley

#Talking #Water #Pirate

• It is, it is a glorious thing To be a Pirate King.
    -- Walter Raleigh

#Kings #Pirate #Glorious

• There's very little admirable about being a pirate. There's very little functional about a pirate. There's very little real about a pirate.
    -- Will Oldham

#Real #Pirate #Littles

• I don't think that word - the word pirate - has any real meaning. Or it's something that's had meaning imposed on it.
    -- Will Oldham

#Real #Thinking #Pirate

• I have more respect for somebody who points at his ideal - in this case, the ideal of the pirate - and then becomes something that's more radical, more exciting, more subversive than a pirate could ever be.
    -- Will Oldham

#Pirate #Cases #Exciting

• It is when Pirates count their booty that they become mere thieves.
    -- William Bolitho

#Pirate #Thieves #Booty

• Oh yeah, that's the Holy Grail, Pirates of the Caribbean. Johnny Depp, he's the real deal, isn't he? He doesn't get the girl, and he doesn't care.
    -- William H. Macy

#Girl #Real #Pirate

• My Lord, it is a very hard sentence. For my part, I am the innocentest person of them all, only I have been sworn against by perjured persons.
    -- William Kidd

#Pirate #Lord #Persons

• I have a ships bed, which totally plays to my obsession of, if I were not an actress, I would be a pirate.
    -- Zosia Mamet

#Play #Pirate #Ships

• I can tell you as a fact that if you'd asked anyone in Hollywood one year before 'Pirates of the Caribbean' had come out, they'd have told you the pirate movie was a dead genre. And it's not that it's a dead genre. If you make a bad pirate movie, no one will want to see it. If you make a good one, everyone will want to see it.
    -- Dean Devlin

#Years #Pirate #Facts

• I tossed off a mention of the pirates early on. And they became integral to the backstory. Sometimes now I imagine them in the woods. They scare me. All men. Dirty and wearing red.
    -- Edan Lepucki

#Dirty #Men #Pirate

• The pirates are serving a purpose right now. They come from regions which have been completely ignored, and Westerners have tried to destroy these regions by their constant plundering of resources and by the illegal dumping of nuclear waste. The pirates really began in order to discourage these actions - initially. And then the business became lucrative.
    -- K'naan

#Order #Pirate #Nuclear

• I'm a big fan of pirates in general.
    -- Mike Leach

#Pirate #Fans #Bigs

• They are obviously pirate services. Sure they might be able to survive as small businesses, but it's hard to get advertisers to advertise on a pirate site. It's a hugely fragmented market.
    -- Robert Cecil Martin

#Reality #Pirate #Might

• You may wish me luck, or curse me for a damnable pirate, but do not look for me. I will be gone to parts beyond the sea.
    -- Celia Rees

#Sea #Pirate #Luck

• My fantasy football team got mixed up in another fantasy and now they're stuck on a pirate ship with a chick in a Catwoman suit.
    -- Dana Gould

#Football #Team #Pirate

• Drinking rum before 10 am makes you a pirate, not an alcoholic.
    -- Granger Smith

#Drinking #Pirate #Rum

• You know that scene at the beginning (of 'Pirate Radio') where I take The Count a cup of tea in the studio, and he shakes my hand, gives me a hug, and slaps me on the arse? That's genuinely the first time Tom Sturridge met Philip Seymour Hoffman. Literally, I'd hadn't seen him or exchanged words with him before. Richard just called me on set and said, 'Take him a cup of tea.' So that's what I did. And the smile of delight as he slaps me on the arse is purely mine.
    -- Tom Sturridge

#Hands #Giving #Pirate