Swings quotes

• The doors of opportunity swing on the hinges of opposition!
    -- Adrian Rogers

#Opportunity #Swings #Doors

• Our First Amendment expresses a far different calculus for regulating speech than for regulating nonexpressive conduct and that is as it should be. The right to swing your fist should end at the tip of my nose, but your right to express your ideas should not necessarily end at the lobes of my ears.
    -- Alan Dershowitz

#Ideas #Swings #Liberty

• Because of the suit I was wearing, I couldn't make a good pivot on the swing. And I had to hit the ball with one hand.
    -- Alan Shepard

#Golf #Swings #Hands

• I can hit it farther on the moon. But actually, my swing is better here on Earth.
    -- Alan Shepard

#Moon #Swings #Earth

• When the Negro musician or dancer swings the blues, he is fulfilling the same fundamental existential requirement that determines the mission of the poet, the priest and the medicine man.
    -- Albert Murray

#Men #Swings #Medicine

• I consider myself a line drive hitter with power. I just try to put my best swing on the ball every time.
    -- Albert Pujols

#Swings #Trying #Balls

• When I found myself in the U.S., and the war was at full swing in Bosnia, I read for survival - it was a means of thought resuscitation.
    -- Aleksandar Hemon

#War #Mean #Swings

• Once released from life, having lost it in such violence, I couldn’t calculate my steps. I didn’t have time for contemplation. In violence it is the getting out that you concentrate on. When you begin to go over the edge, life receding from you as a boat recedes inevitably from the shore, you hold on to death tightly, like a rope that will transport you, and you swing out on it, hoping to land away from where you are.
    -- Alice Sebold

#Swings #Land #Rope

• I don't know that I'm actually bipolar, but I definitely have huge mood swings, and I'm definitely passionate about the way I feel. I'm not really lukewarm one way or the other.
    -- Alicia Witt

#Swings #Bipolar #Passionate

• To get an elementary grasp of the game of golf, a human must learn, by endless practice, a continuous and subtle series of highly unnatural movements, involving about sixty-four muscles, that result in a seemingly natural swing, taking two seconds to begin and end.
    -- Alistair Cooke

#Golf #Swings #Practice

• The great thing about taking big chances when you're younger is you have less to lose, and you don't know as much. So you take big swings.
    -- Amy Poehler

#Graduation #Swings #Chance

• Hey, I can cook." "How do you know? You haven't eaten anything since before the Norman Conquest." "I've never had any complaints." "Given the infants you date, I'm not surprised. You could serve them sawdust and they'd eat it with a smile, dazzled by the swing of your broadsword." "What do you know about the swing of my broadsword?" "More than I care to. Women talk." Which shut him up, as he started wondering who'd said what.
    -- Angela Knight

#Swings #Hey #Sawdust

• What really swings is the music of the United States, Cuba, the Caribbean and vicinity, and, of course, Brazil. The rest is all waltzes.
    -- Antonio Carlos Jobim

#Swings #United States #Cuba

• Swing your swing. I know, I did.
    -- Arnold Palmer

#Swings

• Swing your swing. Not some idea of a swing. Not a swing you saw on TV. Not that swing you wish you had. No, swing your swing. Capable of greatness. Prized only by you. Perfect in it's imperfection. Swing your swing. I know, I did.
    -- Arnold Palmer

#Greatness #Swings #Ideas

• Life swings like a pendulum backward and forward between pain and boredom.
    -- Arthur Schopenhauer

#Pain #Blessing #Swings

• 'Swing' is an adjective or a verb, not a noun. All jazz musicians should swing. There is no such thing as a 'swing band' in music.
    -- Artie Shaw

#Swings #Nouns #Musician

• It ["Begin the Beguine"] became such a hit that it superseded anything that any band had ever had. It was the first time that a so-called swing band played something melodic and still gave it a beat.
    -- Artie Shaw

#Swings #Band #Firsts

• Somebody asked me once, 'Do you think that swing will ever come back?' And I said, 'Do you think the 1938 Ford will ever come back?'
    -- Artie Shaw

#Thinking #Swings #Said

• I'm known for changing halfway through the day if my mood swings.
    -- Ashley Madekwe

#Swings #Mood #Mood Swing

• Acceptance, when it comes, arrives in waves: Listen with your chest. You will feel a pendulum swing within you, favoring one direction or another. And that is your answer. The answer is always inside your chest. The right choice weighs more. That's how you know. It causes you to lean in its direction.
    -- Augusten Burroughs

#Acceptance #One Direction #Swings

• His laugh is made if porch swings and lemonade
    -- Augusten Burroughs

#Swings #Laughing #Made

• Some damage is too severe, some harm endures. And what you have to do is accept it. And by accept it I mean, don’t be the paralyzed person in the bed who is waiting to walk again. Realize, it’s never gonna happen. And find some other way to get around –swing from a vine, get a Mad Max wheelchair. Anything but…wait.
    -- Augusten Burroughs

#Mean #Swings #Mad

• The combination of the Liberal and Labour Parties is much stronger than the Liberal Party would be if there were no third Party in existence. Many men who would in that case have voted for us voted on this occasion as the Labour Party told them i.e. for the Liberals. The Labour Party has "come to stay"...the existence of the third Party deprives us of the full benefits of the 'swing of the pendulum', introduces a new element into politics and confronts us with a new difficulty.
    -- Austen Chamberlain

#Party #Men #Swings

• I swing big, with everything I've got. I hit big or I miss big. I like to live as big as I can.
    -- Babe Ruth

#Baseball #Swings #Missing

• You don't swing at any pitch. You swing at the ones you can hit.
    -- Barry Lyga

#Swings

• The ultimate judge of your swing is the flight of the ball.
    -- Ben Hogan

#Golf #Swings #Judging

• Reverse every natural instinct and do the opposite of what you are inclined to do, and you will probably come very close to having a perfect golf swing.
    -- Ben Hogan

#Golf #Hair #Swings

• I don't believe there is anything like a natural golf swing. A golf swing is an unnatural thing, and it has to be developed.
    -- Ben Hogan

#Believe #Golf #Swings

• The market is a pendulum that forever swings between unsustainable optimism (which makes stocks too expensive) and unjustified pessimism (which makes them too cheap). The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.
    -- Benjamin Graham

#Intelligent #Swings #Optimism

• By renouncing the Bible, philosophers swing from their moorings upon all moral subjects..It is the only correct map of the human heart that ever has been published.
    -- Benjamin Rush

#Bible #Heart #Swings

• Some really good things kind of swing both ways and I like to see people that can swing really, really, really sad and horrible and terrible and really, really, really beautiful and funny.
    -- Beth Henley

#Beautiful #Swings #People

• Some young Hollywood starlets remind me of my grandmother's old farmhouse -- all painted up nice on the front side, a big swing on the backside, and nothing whatsoever in the attic.
    -- Bette Davis

#Nice #Grandmother #Swings

• Writing is like playing golf - you have to keep working at your swing.
    -- Bill Simmons

#Writing #Golf #Swings

• At Kansas City, Kansas, before the saloons were closed, they were getting ready to build an addition to the jail. Now the doors swing idly on the hinges and there is nobody to lock in the jails.
    -- Billy Sunday

#Sports #Swings #Doors

• A pianist with skill, touch, musicality and a gift for making songs from songs. Plus, he can swing! Give a listen
    -- Bob Brookmeyer

#Song #Swings #Skills

• What distracts us will begin to define us. We don't need to swing at every pitch.
    -- Bob Goff

#Swings #Needs

• Failure is just part of the process, and it's not just okay; it's better than okay. God doesn't want failure to shut us down. God didn't make it a three-strikes-and-you're-out sort of thing. It's more about how God helps us dust ourselves off so we can swing for the fences again. And all of this without keeping a meticulous record of our screw-ups.
    -- Bob Goff

#Swings #Dust #Screw Ups

• You've got to be rich to have a swing like that.
    -- Bob Hope

#Swings #Comedy #Rich

• When you are on a down swing, do not feel bad. Know the swing will change and things will get better.There are good times coming.
    -- Bob Proctor

#Swings #Get Better #Good Times

• I'm not afraid to swing the bat. If they elect to pitch to me, I'm going to swing. I'm not as picky as Mr. Sheffield. I'll swing at something over my head.
    -- Bobby Bonilla

#Sports #Swings #Bats

• You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.
    -- Bobby Jones

#Golf #Thinking #Swings

• You decide you'll wait for your pitch. As the ball starts toward the plate, you think about your stance. And then you think about your swing. Then you realize that the ball that went by you for a strike was your pitch.
    -- Bobby Murcer

#Thinking #Swings #Focus

• A game of great charm in the adoption of mathematical measurements to the timing of human movements, the exactitudes and adjustments of physical ability to hazardous chance. The speed of the legs, the dexterity of the body, the grace of the swing, the elusiveness of the slide - these are the features that make Americans everywhere forget the last syllable of a man's last name or the pigmentation of his skin.
    -- Branch Rickey

#Baseball #Men #Swings

• The pendulum swings between Light and Darkness
    -- Brandon Mull

#Light #Swings #Darkness

• I don't care who likes it or buys it. Because if you use that criterion, Mozart would have never written Don Giovanni, Charlie Parker never would have played anything but swing music. There comes a point at which you have to stand up and say, this is what I have to do.
    -- Branford Marsalis

#Swings #Use #Care

• When you throw punches at actors, you stop, you pull it, and it looks like you pulled it. When you throw punches at cartoon characters, they are not there, so you can swing through. It looks like you really decked them
    -- Brendan Fraser

#Character #Swings #Cartoon

• George of the Jungle is a cartoon. He's a guy who swings around on a vine all day. Are you not buying that?
    -- Brendan Fraser

#Swings #Guy #Cartoon

• If I was a girl I'd still swing both ways anyway.
    -- Brian Molko

#Girl #Swings #Way

• If I have a swing, I have a shot.
    -- Bubba Watson

#Swings #Shots

• If I've got a swing, I've got a shot.
    -- Bubba Watson

#Golf #Swings #Shots

• Everybody can see that my swing is homegrown. That means everybody has a chance to do it.
    -- Bubba Watson

#Mean #Golf #Swings

• You either swing a band or don't swing a band and that's what's lacking today.. There aren't any guys who get back there and play with any kind of guts.
    -- Buddy Rich

#Swings #Play #Guy

• But primarily, the drummer's supposed to sit back there and swing the band.
    -- Buddy Rich

#Swings #Band #Drummer

• It's much easier to have one swing thought than many.
    -- Butch Harmon

#Golf #Swings #Easier

• The only thing you should force in a golf swing is the club back in the bag.
    -- Byron Nelson

#Golf #Swings #Bags

• A golf swing is a collection of corrected mistakes.
    -- Carol Mann

#Mistake #Golf #Swings

• The arc of your swing doesn't have a thing to do with the size of your heart.
    -- Carol Mann

#Heart #Golf #Swings

• My belief in ghosts swings with the wind. But my belief that the cemetery felt happy and not sad-I've never changed my mind about that.
    -- Carol Plum-Ucci

#Swings #Wind #Mind

• For liberals, the observation that 'the peasants are revolting' is a pun. For conservatives, it is cause for uncharacteristic optimism. No matter how far the ideological pendulum swings in the short term, in the end the bedrock common sense of the American people will prevail.
    -- Charles Krauthammer

#Swings #People #Common Sense

• I was born swinging and clapped my hands in church as a little boy, but I've grown up and I like to do things other than just swing. But blues can do more than just swing.
    -- Charles Mingus

#Boys #Swings #Hands

• On his deathbed he asked for a priest and became a Catholic. That was his wife's religion. It was his own business and none of mine. If you had sentenced one hundred and sixty men to death and seen around eighty of them swing, then maybe at the last minute you would feel the need for some stronger medicine than the Methodists could make.
    -- Charles Portis

#Men #Swings #Medicine

• Swing a bigger brush - you don't know what you're missing.
    -- Charles Webster Hawthorne

#Swings #Missing #Bigger

• My wife is from Laurel, Mississippi, and she has a lot of relatives down in Louisiana, Baton Rouge, and Shreveport, Louisiana. We go down there a lot. We got married in New Orleans. She has a cousin who introduced me to swamp pop, which is sort of zydeco/Cajun music with a little uptempo pop swing. Now I'm a big zydeco fan, I'm a big swamp-music fan.
    -- Charlie Day

#Cousin #New Orleans #Swings

• I don't care who likes it or buys it. Because if you use that criterion, Mozart would never have written Don Giovanni, Charlie Parker would have never played anything but swing music.
    -- Charlie Parker

#Swings #Use #Care

• Intimacy requires an ability to both merge and be separate, to come together and be apart, like oscillating on a giant swing from oneness to separateness, creating a constant rhythm.
    -- Charlotte Sophia Kasl

#Relationship #Creating #Swings

• We both liked the idea but couldn't figure out a way to get up to the roof. Vince had just seen the Spider-Man movie and suggested we shoot webs out of our wrists and swing up there. We asked Vince not to contribute any more ideas.
    -- Chris Jericho

#Men #Swings #Wwe

• The door that nobody else will go in at, seems always to swing open widely for me.
    -- Clara Barton

#Swings #Doors #Nurse

• Asking the proper question is the central action of transformation- in fairy tales, in analysis, and in individuation. The key question causes germination of consciousness. The properly shaped question always emanates from an essential curiosity about what stands behind. Questions are the keys that cause the secret doors of the psyche to swing open.
    -- Clarissa Pinkola Estes

#Keys #Swings #Doors

• Asking the proper questions is the central action of transformation. Questions are the key that causes the secret doors of the psyche to swing open.
    -- Clarissa Pinkola Estes

#Keys #Swings #Doors

• Just trust your instincts. There's an old saying in golf, you've studied the swing many times, and you practice and practice, but when you stand over the ball, you just have to trust your swing. And you trust it. And if you don't trust it, you'll ruin it; your brain will take over.
    -- Clint Eastwood

#Golf #Swings #Practice

• I think the band can really swing when it swings easy, when it can just play along like you are cutting butter,
    -- Count Basie

#Cutting #Thinking #Swings

• I just think swing is a matter of some good things put together that you can really pat your foot by. I can't define it beyond that.
    -- Count Basie

#Thinking #Swings #Feet

• The election is in full-swing. Republicans have taken out round-the-clock ads promoting George Bush. Don't we already have that? It's called Fox News.
    -- Craig Kilborn

#Taken #Swings #News

• Judges in Texas swing the gavel with one hand and take money with the other.
    -- Craig McDonald

#Swings #Texas #Hands

• It doesn't count if your swing is going the highest if you're getting pushed.
    -- Cynthia Lewis

#Reality #Swings #Accepting

• Damn all false antitheses to hell, for they generate false gods, they perpetuate idols, they twist and distort our souls, they launch the church into violent pendulum swings who oscillations succeed only in dividing brothers and sisters in Christ
    -- D. A. Carson

#Brother #Swings #Idols

• My mom was there to answer the unanswerable, to make sense of the fault in our life - and we got through that somehow; we came out on the other side. Now I'm 0 for 2 and I don't get any more pitches to swing at.
    -- Daisy Whitney

#Mom #Swings #Faults

• Swing hard in case you hit it.
    -- Dan Marino

#Golf #Swings #Cases

• Like they say, it ain't over 'til the fat guy swings
    -- Darren Daulton

#Sports #Swings #Guy

• I prefer no one to teach me. I prefer to swing on my own.
    -- Dave Brubeck

#Swings #Teach

• Good hitters don't just go up and swing. They always have a plan. Call it an educated deduction. You visualize. You're like a good negotiator. You know what you have, you know what he has, then you try to work it out.
    -- Dave Winfield

#Baseball #Swings #Trying

• I slowly continued to compensate for the physical problems I was having and ended up completely destroying my swing, my set-up, my posture. Everything was gone.
    -- David Duval

#Swings #Gone #Problem

• Your final goal is to convert your athletic swing to pure instinct rather than conscious thought.
    -- David Leadbetter

#Golf #Swings #Goal

• Is there such a thing as a technically perfect swing? If there is, I have yet to see it.
    -- David Leadbetter

#Golf #Swings #Perfect

• I swing hard all the time. That's what I've done my whole life-hit.
    -- David Ortiz

#Swings #Done #Whole Life

• I just swing hard in case I hit it -- that's it.
    -- David Ortiz

#Swings #Cases

• My whole career, my swing has always been the most important thing to me. Even when I'm taking a shower, I work on my swing.
    -- David Ortiz

#Swings #Careers #Important

• I'm the kind of a player who, if you give me something good to hit, I'm going to swing at it. Otherwise, there's nothing else you can do.
    -- David Ortiz

#Player #Swings #Giving

• Say what you will about the south, but in North Carolina a hot dog is free to swing anyway it wishes.
    -- David Sedaris

#Dog #Swings #Wish

• As human beings we have this immediate gateway - you’ve just to articulate exactly the way that you’re exiled, exactly the way that you don’t belong, exactly the way that you can’t love, exactly the way that you can’t move ... and you’re on your way again. You’re on your way home. If you can just say exactly the way that you’re imprisoned - the door swings open.
    -- David Whyte

#Moving #Home #Swings

• I used to get out there and have a thousand swing thoughts. Now I try not to have any.
    -- Davis Love III

#Swings #Trying #Used

• If fate is a shape-shifter, then loves is too. It can be, anyway, in its most dangerous form. It´s your best day and then your worst. It´s your most hope and then you most despair. Lightness, darkness, it can swing between extremes at lightning speed- a boat upon the water on the most dangerous day, and then the clouds crawl in and the sky turns black and the sea rages and the boat is lost.
    -- Deb Caletti

#Fate #Love Is #Swings

• She's you, without your conscience, or your feelings. She's you without your humanity." "You're saying she's a mood swing?" He shrugged. "Or maybe you're her mood swing." "Don't even joke about that.
    -- Derek Landy

#Swings #Feelings #Humanity

• More or Less Love Poems #11: No babe We'd never Swing together but the syncopation would be something wild
    -- Diane di Prima

#Swings #Together #Would Be

• We're waiting for the pendulum to swing back again, which I am absolutely confident it will.
    -- Don Bluth

#Artist #Swings #Waiting

• People can go to the extreme like what we saw during the Cultural Revolution. For instance, in China, when people take everything into their own hands, then you cannot govern the place. ... [It] was the people taking power into their own hands. Now that is what you mean by democracy if you take it to the full swing.
    -- Donald Tsang

#Mean #Swings #Hands

• It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.
    -- Duke Ellington

#Music #Mean #Swings

• For me, jazz, R&B, jump swing, Chicago blues, country blues, early hillbilly music, and honky tonk all stem from the same source
    -- Duke Robillard

#Music #Country #Swings

• In the split second from the time the ball leaves the pitcher's hand until it reaches the plate you have to think about your stride, your hip action, your wrist action, determine how much, if any the ball is going to break and then decide whether to swing at it.
    -- Duke Snider

#Thinking #Swings #Hands