Pits quotes

• Do not bury our glorious orthodoxy in the treacherous pit of a spurious conservatism.
    -- Abraham Kuyper

#Pits #Orthodoxy #Conservatism

• He shall fall down into a pit called Because, and there he shall perish with the dogs of reason.
    -- Aleister Crowley

#Dog #Fall #Pits

• There still remains to mortify a wit The many-headed monster of the pit.
    -- Alexander Pope

#Acting #Monsters #Pits

• The real problem is that the way that power is given out in our society pits us against each other.
    -- Anita Hill

#Real #Power #Pits

• Man hovers between Paradise and the Pit.
    -- Ariana Franklin

#Men #Pits #Paradise

• Life may be defined to be the power of self-augmentation or assimilation, not of self-nurture; for then a steam-engine over a coal-pit might be made to live.
    -- Augustus William Hare

#Self #Coal #Pits

• A pit bull is like a fighter. Every so often it needs to taste blood.
    -- Barry McGuigan

#Blood #Needs #Pits

• Pressure is working down the pit. Pressure is having no work at all. Pressure is trying to escape relegation on 50 shillings a week. Pressure is not the European Cup or the Championship or the Cup Final. That's the reward.
    -- Bill Shankly

#Trying #Finals #Pits

• The only reason they're out there is to see me fall into the damn orchestra pit.
    -- Billie Holiday

#Fall #Pits #Orchestra

• I got in trouble with the police, and that was a rude awakening. That was it. I'd seen the bottom of the pit, and it was time to scrape myself out of it.
    -- Bryan Adams

#Rude #Police #Pits

• We've been there and come back. When you fall in the pit, people are supposed to help you up. But you have to get up on your own. We'll take your arms, but you have to get your legs underneath you and stand.
    -- Bucky Sinister

#Fall #People #Pits

• My insurance provider probably wouldn't allow me to go into a mosh pit anymore. My brain is insured by Lloyd's of London, you know what I'm saying?
    -- Cee Lo Green

#Brain #Pits #London

• One pits his wits against apparently inscrutable nature, wooing her with ardor but nature is blind justice who cannot recognize personal identity.
    -- Charles Brenton Huggins

#Justice #Identity #Pits

• If you start in the pit of despair with these profane, awful things, even a glimmer of hope or awareness is going to occur that's much brighter coming from this dark, awful beginning.
    -- Chuck Palahniuk

#Dark #Despair #Pits

• The world admits bears in pits do it, Even Pekingeses at the Ritz do it, Let's do it, let's fall in love.
    -- Cole Porter

#Falling In Love #Pits #Pekingese

• No pit is so deep that He is not deeper still; with Jesus even in our darkest moments, the best remains and the very best is yet to be.
    -- Corrie Ten Boom

#Jesus #Pits #Moments

• I had been born shoved to the margins of the world, sure, but I had volunteered for the pits.
    -- Daniel Woodrell

#Pits #World #Born

• Humans live in a pit of cheating, exploiting, hurting, incarcerating. Every time, the species wastes some part of what it could be. This waste is poisonous.
    -- David Mitchell

#Cheating #Hurt #Pits

• It is quite exhilarating to speak about a God who has an incredible bias, a notorious bias in favor of the downtrodden. You look at Exodus and the Israelites' escape from a bottomless pit. God is not evenhanded. God is biased up to his eyebrows.
    -- Desmond Tutu

#Eyebrows #Looks #Pits

• Jealousy had a taste, all right. A bitter and tongue-stinging flavor, like a peach pit.
    -- Dolores Hitchens

#Jealousy #Pits #Flavor

• It really started cooking when I moved to Houston. I bought a house and got my own barbeque pit.
    -- Earl Campbell

#House #Cooking #Pits

• In the deepest pits of 'Ell, Where the worst defaulters dwell (Charcoal devils used as fuel as you require 'em), There's some lovely coloured rays, Pyrotechnical displays, But you can't expect the burning to admire 'em!
    -- Edgar Wallace

#Lovely #Devil #Pits

• When humanness is lost the radical difference between the bodies in the pit and people walking on the street is lost.
    -- Edward Bond

#Differences #People #Pits

• We're like America's little pit bull. They beat it, starve it, mistreat it, and once in a while they let it out to attack somebody.
    -- Evan Wright

#Military #America #Pits

• I have always wanted a solo career, deep in the darkest pit of myself, but I didn't dare admit it to myself even. It took me a long time to confront my fears.
    -- Geri Halliwell

#Careers #Long #Pits

• Rationally speaking, blaming one's behavior on alcohol or drugs is like blaming the ladder by which you descended into a pit, or the staircase that took you down to a cellar, for what you found there.
    -- Graham Joyce

#Alcohol #Drug #Pits

• The cautious wolf fears the pit, the hawk regards with suspicion the snare laid for her, and the fish the hook in its concealment.
    -- Horace

#Hook #Pits #Hawks

• Only one thing bothered me: at this very moment, as they say, of inexplicable bliss there would be a sinking feeling at the pit of my stomach and my abdomen would be assailed by a melancholy, cold shivering. In the end I couldn't abide such happiness and ran away.
    -- Ivan Turgenev

#Feelings #Pits #Abdomen

• Whatever is destroyed, the act of destruction does not vary much. Beauty if vapour from the pit of death.
    -- J. A. Baker

#Doe #Pits #Vapour

• I'm not sure what it is that I want, but I feel it deep in the pit of my stomach. It's there sitting dormant. I'll know it when I see it.
    -- J.A. Redmerski

#Sitting #Pits #Want

• I got very depressed. Hollywood can be a terrible place when youre depressed. The pits. I decided I had to change my life and do different things.
    -- Jeff Conaway

#Hollywood #Different #Pits

• The deeper the pit, the more humor you need to dig yourself out of it.
    -- Jim Norton

#Needs #Pits #Deeper

• There's just a pit that develops in your stomach and doesn't go away. It's the championship pit, and it's there.
    -- Jimmie Johnson

#Going Away #Pits #Championship

• Law is a bottomless pit.
    -- John Arbuthnot

#Law #Pits

• Law is a Bottomless-Pit, it is a Cormorant, a Harpy, that devours every thing.
    -- John Arbuthnot

#Law #Pits #Harpies

• Unwarrantable installment buying is a pit into which those who covet fall.
    -- John H. Vandenberg

#Fall #Pits #Buying

• There isn't any wall, however high, however wide or however big, whatever it is made from, that can bar you from achieving a better life. There isn't any wall or pit that is in front of you to stop you from achieving a future of wellbeing.
    -- Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero

#Wall #Bars #Pits

• Quite honestly, there are days when I don't need a God who will deliver me from the pit, just a God who will get down in a pit with me.
    -- Josh Ross

#Needs #Pits #Honestly

• No matter what you’re going through there's no pit so deep that God can’t reach in and get you out.
    -- Joyce Meyer

#Pits #Matter

• Most women seem to be required to pit themselves against men in dramatic situations, and the men got to pit themselves against ideas or God.
    -- Judy Davis

#Men #Ideas #Pits

• Eventually we want to do a puppet musical with turntables in the orchestra pit.
    -- Kid Koala

#Musical #Pits #Orchestra

• I completely remember the horror I felt when my pits started getting hairy. I would walk with my arms pressed against my sides.
    -- Lisi Harrison

#Pits #Arms #Sides

• Me being a skinny guy, I could crawl into the steel pit.
    -- Luther Allison

#Guy #Steel #Pits

• It`s an absolute abomination. Whether intentional corruption or mismanagement , it seems like FEMA is just a money pit.
    -- Mark Foley

#Pits #Corruption #Abomination

• Elvis [Presley] had a stepstool, if you will, to success because he came from the dominant culture. They identified with him. Michael Jackson had to come further and go deeper into the pit of possibility of American democracy and of cultural expression.
    -- Michael Eric Dyson

#Expression #Democracy #Pits

• I was often in the pit lane the noise was indescribable and I've no doubt that is why my hearing was affected.
    -- Murray Walker

#Doubt #Pits #Noise

• I worked at a factory owned by Germans, at coal pits owned by Frenchmen, and at a chemical plant owned by Belgians. There I discovered something about capitalists. They are all alike, whatever the nationality. All they wanted from me was the most work for the least money that kept me alive. So I became a communist.
    -- Nikita Khrushchev

#Coal #Pits #Alive

• Beware of any belief that makes you self-indulgent; it came from the pit, no matter how beautiful it sounds.
    -- Oswald Chambers

#Beautiful #Self #Pits

• When you are a pit bull, and you love what you do and you are going to continue to grow, that talent will find its way out.
    -- Patrick Swayze

#Way #Pits #Bulls

• The system of volunteerism is divisive. It pits one charity against the others for the charity dollar.
    -- Phil Donahue

#Pits #Charity #Dollars

• I don't know why I still feel this pit in my stomach whenever I get a moment to think. I know what the pit is, too; I feel lonely. But I'm not alone, I keep telling myself.
    -- Pittacus Lore

#Lonely #Thinking #Pits

• The mosh pit will reveal all the answers. The mosh pit never lies. -Norah, Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist
    -- Rachel Cohn

#Lying #Answers #Pits

• JESUS WILL LIFT you out of the deepest pit, but He will not lift you out of your easy chair.
    -- Reinhard Bonnke

#Jesus #Pits #Easy

• We laugh & it pits the world against us.
    -- Richard Siken

#Laughing #Pits #World

• Hell is no other but a soundlesse pit, Where no one beame of comfort peeps in it.
    -- Robert Herrick

#Pits #Comfort #Hell

• What do you say when your friends come to visit and the dog starts humping their leg. Well, if it's a pit bull, you say, "You better let him finish."
    -- Robert Schimmel

#Funny #Dog #Pits

• In the pit of her stomach she realized that everything she raged against on Saturday night-- the restrictions, rules, and guidelines-- was born of an ancient fervor. Every rule ever established, from the beginning of time, invited mutiny.
    -- Robin Jones Gunn

#Night #Pits #Mutiny

• It was the kind of crying that comes from the pit of the stomach and brings a headache with it. The kind that makes a person snort and gasp, and no matter how idiotic you feel or how hard you try, you can't stop.
    -- Robin Jones Gunn

#Trying #Pits #Matter

• If you dig a pit for others to fall into, you will fall into it yourself.
    -- Rumi

#Fall #Pits

• Despite living in an increasingly digital world, there are a few things I still like to keep as physical reminders. So every time I see an exhibition, I make a pit stop at the museum gift shop to buy a postcard of something that inspired me.
    -- Ruzwana Bashir

#Museums #Pits #World

• When you start off acting, it does seem very romantic, and the make-believe part of it all seems very exciting. It's only later that you begin to realize how fascinating the work is - that it's a bottomless pit, and you never get to the end of it.
    -- Sada Thompson

#Believe #Acting #Pits

• I remember my first test in F1. After five laps, I came back to the pits and tried to play it cool - 'Oh yeah, I'm fine, I'm on top of this' - but I was completely lost.
    -- Sebastian Vettel

#Play #Lap #Pits

• We are basically storytellers, descendants of the old men who sat around the fire and told us legends, fairytales, exploits, or maybe just how funny Og looked when he fell into the tar pit.
    -- Sol Saks

#Men #Fire #Pits

• There's a hole in the world Like a great black pit And the vermin of the world Inhabit it ... And it goes by the name of London.
    -- Stephen Sondheim

#Names #Black #Pits

• Space is not only high, it's low. It's a bottomless pit.
    -- Sun Ra

#Space #Pits #Lows

• We have no Arab intellectuals of international stature because we live in a state of generalized mediocrity. We are suspended in the pit without touching the bottom.
    -- Tahar Ben Jelloun

#Touching #Pits #Mediocrity

• In the pit of red You hid from the bone-clinic whiteness But the jewel you lost was blue.
    -- Ted Hughes

#Jewels #Blue #Pits

• Dreiser wanted to write the next great American novel, and his desperation pervades [ Sister Carrie ] like an unsavory pit stain.
    -- Theodore Dreiser

#Writing #Next #Pits

• God will hold sinners with one hand over the pit of hell, while He torments them with the other.
    -- Thomas Boston

#Hands #Pits #Hell

• There are flaws in the way politics is reported in this country today and we should do something about it, .. Radio and television coverage of politics doesn't see its role as a mission to explain, but to destroy, in a pernicious culture in which journalists pit themselves against politicians.
    -- Tim Allen

#Country #Pits #Television

• If you are quiet on the bench you will just get swallowed up. It is like a mosh pit.
    -- Tisha Venturini

#Benches #Pits #Quiet

• I've never believed in the end of times. We are mankind. Our footprints are on the moon. When the last trumpet sounds and the beast rises from the pit - we will kill it.
    -- Travis Beacham

#Life #Moon #Pits

• An olive, with a pit...
    -- Victor Feguer

#Olives #Pits #Last Words

• Does the Eagle know what is in the pit Or wilt thou go ask the Mole? Can Wisdom be put in a silver rod, Or Love in a golden bowl?
    -- William Blake

#Wisdom #Eagles #Pits

• How! leap into the pit our life to save? To save our life leap all into the grave.
    -- William Cowper

#Suicide #Pits #Graves

• Why is it you can never hope to describe the emotion Africa creates? You are lifted. Out of whatever pit, unbound from whatever tie, released from whatever fear. You are lifted and you see it all from above.
    -- Francesca Marciano

#Ties #Pits #Emotion

• Personally, I don't do certain things. I read articles and they'll pit me against Lil' Kim like I'm going to smash them down. I never said any of that; I never said I didn't like Kim or Foxy [Brown].
    -- Jean Grae

#Lil Kim #Pits #Said

• The big turning point came when I played in the pit orchestra for a production of SWEENEY TODD and I spent most of the time watching the play instead of playing the score! And that's when I knew I had it bad for acting.
    -- John Cariani

#Play #Acting #Pits

• If man was devolving into a psychotic pit of rotted plasma, [Karl] Rove would be the Alpha of such grime.
    -- Larisa Alexandrovna

#Men #Would Be #Pits

• Jesus was born again in the pit of hell. .. The church started when Jesus was born again in the gates of hell.
    -- Charles Capps

#Jesus #Church #Pits

• If you depart from moral absolutes, you go into a bottomless pit. Communism and Nazism were catastrophic evils which both derived from moral relativism. Their differences were minor compared to their similarities.
    -- Paul Johnson

#Differences #Evil #Pits

• Preach as if you had seen heaven and its celestial inhabitants, and had hovered over the bottomless pit, and beheld the tortures, and heard the groans of the damned.
    -- Francis Asbury

#Heaven #Pits #Torture

• Law has been called a bottomless pit, not so much because of its depth, as that its windings are so obscure nobody can see the end.
    -- George Pope Morris

#Law #Depth #Pits

• Pit Riley had a lasting effect on us as players and the coaching staff.
    -- John Starks

#Player #Coaching #Pits

• When you're in the pits, all the faith in the world won't get you out of it. But just a little faith in God will get you through it.
    -- Ken Hutcherson

#Pits #World #Littles