Lists quotes

• Lists are a form of power.
    -- A. S. Byatt

#Lists #Form

• The idea that media is there to educate us, or to inform us, is ridiculous because that's about tenth or eleventh on their list.
    -- Abbie Hoffman

#Media #Ideas #Lists

• A major celebrity is a major brand, and major brands pick very critically what other brands they're going to associate with. So an A-list celebrity usually picks an A-list brand.
    -- Adam Braun

#Lists #Brands

• Lists are how I parse and manage the world.
    -- Adam Savage

#World #Lists #Manage

• There are many resistance movements in the world, like the IRA for instance. But it is only Islamic resistance movements that are put on the terrorist list. This is what I am saying.
    -- Ahmed Yassin

#Islamic #Resistance #Lists

• I've been accused of every death except the casualty list of the World War.
    -- Al Capone

#War #World #Lists

• The spectrum on the list is very broad. It includes leftists who think that whiny liberals should be stuffed in a sack and drowned.
    -- Alan Bradley

#Thinking #Politics #Lists

• I'm on the very blackest part of the black list.
    -- Alexei Navalny

#Black #Lists

• Besides, when I read the list of people who are supporting Kerry, if I wasn't already a Bush supporter, I would have immediately switched. Linda Ronstadt? Don Henley? Geez, that's a good reason right there to vote for Bush.
    -- Alice Cooper

#People #Lists #Vote

• A treasure...at the top of any list of fantasy to be cherished.
    -- Andre Norton

#Treasure #Lists #Fantasy

• We're taking requests from customers who are looking for certain used copies. We already found 18 to 20 Louis L'Amour books that were on a customer's request list.
    -- Andrew Goodman

#Book #Lists #Used

• It's pretty high up there on the list. Being able to return a serve at that speed is one of the biggest things that separates the professionals from the recreational players.
    -- Andy Roddick

#Player #Able #Lists

• One good thing about leaving daily journalism was that I was no longer obliged to read all the book prize short lists.
    -- Annalena McAfee

#Book #Leaving #Lists

• You can look at the New York Times Bestseller List and you can be pretty sure that the writers on that list don't know each other very well.
    -- Anne Rice

#New York #Looks #Lists

• It was easy in the early nineties to make a list of great things that could be done, now that there was such a convenient source of entangled pairs. Anton's claim to fame is that he went and did them.
    -- Anton Zeilinger

#Done #Pairs #Lists

• I don't have any doubts either about the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Perhaps some more should be added to the list, but I don't have the slightest doubt about human rights.
    -- Antonio Tabucchi

#Rights #Doubt #Lists

• I'm a huge Coppola fan. But more of 'Apocalypse Now' and 'The Conversation.' 'The Godfather' for me is, like, number three or four on the list.
    -- Anurag Kashyap

#Numbers #Lists #Fans

• A king ruleth as he ought, a tyrant as he lists, a king to the profit of all, a tyrant only to please a few.
    -- Aristotle

#Kings #Tyrants #Lists

• I don't know whether it's normal or not, but sex has always been something that I take seriously. I would put it higher than tennis on my list of constructive things to do.
    -- Art Buchwald

#Sex #Tennis #Lists

• I have everything in my house organized to an unnecessary T, and I love it! The only downside: I have no excuses for losing my to-do lists.
    -- Ashley Rickards

#House #Lists #Losing

• I’m not going to kill you, Nora. I don’t kill people who are important to me. And you top the list.
    -- Becca Fitzpatrick

#People #Important #Lists

• I don't like the sound of all the lists he's making.
    -- Ben Stein

#Sound #Lists

• [On being a judge for the 1986 Booker Prize:] I got to the point where I couldn't read a laundry list without considering it for the Booker Prize.
    -- Bernice Rubens

#Book #Judging #Lists

• I love the way a list makes a big hodgepodge of things simmer down and behave.
    -- Blue Balliett

#Down And #Way #Lists

• I had about the biggest, longest wish list anyone could have, and 99 percent of what I wanted to get on the screen we got on the screen within our schedule and within our budget and within our resources.
    -- Brad Bird

#Wish #Schedules #Lists

• The numbing lists of things you were supposed to have as an American to make you happy, which ultimately, of course, don't. Those aren't the things that make you happy.
    -- Bret Easton Ellis

#Lists #Make You Happy

• The Monmouth-Ocean area is . . . always in the best-areas-to-live lists.
    -- Brian Boyle

#Ocean #Lists

• I have trashed the to-do list to help my brain.
    -- Brigid Schulte

#Brain #Lists #Helping

• It's so funny to think that I used to be a model and here I am doing arbitrage, shipping and negotiating margins, the list is endless.
    -- Caprice Bourret

#Thinking #Lists #Shipping

• I've got no aspirations to become an A-list celebrity.
    -- Carl Froch

#Motivation #Lists #Fighter

• Obviously, the most memorable has a lot to do with the time spent on the matter, and the Westerfield and Peterson cases are up at the top of the list.
    -- Catherine Crier

#Memorable #Matter #Lists

• I added to my mental list of the odd things I'd done that day. I'd entertained the police, sunbathed, visited at a mall with some fairies, weeded and killed someone. Now it was powdered-corpse removal time. And the day wasn't over yet.
    -- Charlaine Harris

#Police #Lists #Odd Things

• If I were, to pick out the most valuable personal traits of a fighter pilot, aggressiveness would rate high on the list. Time and again, I have seen aggressive action, even from a disadvantageous position, completely rout a powerful Nip formation.
    -- Charles H. MacDonald

#Powerful #Pilots #Lists

• I worked hard at memorizing lists of facts and figures, and carried with me a book of facts.
    -- Charles Van Doren

#Book #Lists #Facts

• When you're a mid-list writer, it pays to write fast.
    -- Chelsea Quinn Yarbro

#Writing #Pay #Lists

• My name was on the list very early after these announcements were made through the newspapers in Europe.
    -- Claude Nicollier

#Europe #Names #Lists

• I have never written anything in one draft, not even a grocery list, although I have heard from friends that this is actually possible.
    -- Connie Willis

#Lists #Grocery Lists #Groceries

• Now I have a third must-do on my list of things to do with cancer, and it's this: follow your gut, ask questions, don't be complacent.
    -- Cynthia Nixon

#Cancer #Lists #Complacent

• The fruit of the Spirit wasn't intended to be a list of goals for us to produce - it is the Holy Spirit through us who produces fruit.
    -- Dan Kimball

#Goal #Fruits Of The Spirit #Lists

• I'd made a long list of exceptions to cover the area between "ignoring her completely" and "abducting her at knifepoint.
    -- Dan Wells

#Long #Lists #Made

• The bulk of extra supplies that could be put into the market come from two places. One, they come from other Persian Gulf suppliers, of which Saudi Arabia is at the top of the list.
    -- Daniel Yergin

#Two #Lists #Arabia

• A complete and accurately defined list of projects, kept current and reviewed on at least a weekly basis, is a master key to stress-free productivity.
    -- David Allen

#Stress #Keys #Lists

• For all her active goodness, Florence Nightingale herself was far from being the angelic figure of popular adulation: according to Lytton Strachey's Eminent Victorians she was a self-righteous, domineering amazon, who was ruthless in her compassion, merciless in her philantropy, destructive in friendships, obsessional in her list for power, and demonic in her saintliness.
    -- David Cannadine

#Compassion #Self #Lists

• Lincoln had no such person that he could talk with. Often, as a result, he debated with himself, and he would draw up a kind of list of the pros and cons of an argument, and carefully figure them out, and he might test them in public.
    -- David Herbert Donald

#Might #Tests #Lists

• Lists are anti-democratic, discriminatory, elitist, and sometimes the print is too small.
    -- David Ives

#Lists #Sometimes #Democratic

• I added 'writers' to my list of people not to trust. They make everything up.
    -- David Mitchell

#People #Lists

• Value will always be on top of everyone's lists now, right along with safety.
    -- David Neeleman

#Safety #Lists #Values

• Truth is something we discover by carrying it out. It is not a list of statements, but a direction of life.
    -- David Steindl-Rast

#Lists #Truth Is

• People now feel time accelerating. Lists allow them to feel some sense of accomplishment.
    -- David Viscott

#People #Accomplishment #Lists

• Lists have always implied social order.
    -- David Viscott

#Order #Lists #Social

• The original lists were probably carved in stone and represented longer periods of time. They contained things like 'Get More Clay. Make Better Oven.'
    -- David Viscott

#Clay #Stones #Lists

• I sensed that my life was better when I focused on things that were working as opposed to focusing on the long list that goes wrong, but I wanted to know if there was any validity to that.
    -- Deborah Norville

#Long #Lists #Wanted

• Make a careful list of all things done to you that you abhorred. Don't do them to others, ever.
    -- Dee Hock

#Done #Lists #Careful

• I don't need to prove that I'm some great international filmmaker. It's not really on my list of goals.
    -- Dermot Mulroney

#Goal #Needs #Lists

• Meryl Streep belongs on anybodys list of greats.
    -- Dick Cavett

#Lists

• I have a long list of things that make me mad.
    -- Dick Cavett

#Long #Mad #Lists

• In terms of a comedy plan I don't really have a list of what I want accomplish. I'm just riding the wave! I think I will always come back to stand-up and comedy in all its forms. I just don't think it will ever be the one sole thing I do.
    -- Doc Brown

#Thinking #Lists #Riding

• A list is only as strong as its weakest link.
    -- Donald Knuth

#Strong #Links #Lists

• Punctuality comes high on my list of unforgivable sins.
    -- Dorothy Cannell

#Lists #Sin #Punctuality

• John Kerry can be absolutely ruthless. I would not want to be on his enemies list when he's ready to go after you.
    -- Douglas Brinkley

#Enemy #Want #Lists

• One of the most important and fascinating of all computer languages is Lisp (standing for "List Processing"), which was invented by John McCarthy around the time Algol was invented.
    -- Douglas Hofstadter

#Important #Lists #Language

• John Facenda could read a laundry list and make it sound like the Constitution of the United States.
    -- Ed Sabol

#Sound #United States #Lists

• When I see the Ten Most Wanted Lists... I always have this thought: If we'd made them feel wanted earlier, they wouldn't be wanted now.
    -- Eddie Cantor

#Lists #Made #Feels

• You can go down the list of great artists and kind of understand that they are products of their environment. Whether it's U2 or Henry Rollins or myself or Johnny Lydon, they're gonna be products of their environment.
    -- Eddie Vedder

#Artist #Lists #Kind

• There's no diet list I'll follow that would rule out cherry pie.
    -- Edgar Guest

#Pie #Lists #Cherries

• History, in fact, is no more than a list of the crimes of humanity, human follies and accidents
    -- Edward Gibbon

#Humanity #Historical #Lists

• The list of women to potentially be on a major party ticket, in both parties, is embarrassingly short.
    -- Eleanor Clift

#Party #Lists #Tickets

• How come pleasure never makes it on to... a dutiful list of do's and don'ts? Doesn't joy also get soft and flabby if you neglect to exercise it?
    -- Ellen Goodman

#Exercise #Joy #Lists

• It is with tremendous excitement and pride that EMILY's List endorses Senator Hillary Clinton for president.
    -- Ellen Malcolm

#Pride #President #Lists

• At EMILY's List, we're in the business of expanding the political power of women.
    -- Ellen Malcolm

#Political #Lists #Expanding

• I won't make a bucket list because I'm so afraid that I'll die and then people will find my bucket list and be, like, 'Oh, she didn't get to do that.'
    -- Emma Stone

#People #Buckets #Lists

• Keenly aware of their limitations, artists often remain insecure even as their list of successes grows.
    -- Eric Maisel

#Insecure #Artist #Lists

• To this day I over prepare. I draw storyboards for every scene - chicken scratches so crude that they amuse and horrify the crew. I send out shot lists, act out the scenes, and search for a theme that I can relate to. It's my favorite time of the process.
    -- Eric Stoltz

#Lists #Scratches #My Favorite

• For all its shortcomings, Wikipedia does have strong governance and deliberative mechanisms; anyone who has ever followed discussions on Wikipedia's mailing lists will confirm that its moderators and administrators openly discuss controversial issues on a regular basis.
    -- Evgeny Morozov

#Strong #Issues #Lists

• One thing must be emphatically stated. The New Testament books did not become authoritative for the Church because they were formally included in a canonical list; on the contrary, the Church included them in her canon because she already regarded them as divinely inspired, recognizing their innate worth and generally apostolic authority, direct or indirect.
    -- F. F. Bruce

#Book #Church #Lists

• An income tax form is like a laundry list - either way you lose your shirt.
    -- Fred Allen

#Income #Way #Lists

• I constantly make lists and itineraries and then can't stick to any of them.
    -- Freema Agyeman

#Lists #Sticks

• He who has the pepper may season as he lists.
    -- George Herbert

#May #Lists #Peppers

• The Republican and Democratic parties both feed out of the same bag provided by the monied system, and where the list frequently differs the same interests are represented.
    -- George Seldes

#Party #Bags #Lists

• We got dragged through a system and got burned by crooked lawyers, and the list goes on and on.
    -- Gerald Caiafa

#Goes On #Lists #Lawyer

• The list of non-democratic regimes that have seen significant reforms since 2001 is long and significant.
    -- Ginny Brown-Waite

#Long #Reform #Lists

• Give me a laundry list and I'll set it to music.
    -- Gioachino Rossini

#Music #Giving #Lists

• A lot of us think we're invincible... but we have to start putting ourselves on the to-do list.
    -- Giuliana Rancic

#Thinking #Lists #Invincible

• ...I'm a slave to this leaf in a diary that lists what I must do, what I must say, every half hour.
    -- Golda Meir

#Half #Politics #Lists

• I'm vain enough to want do a movie again, but right now more roles are the last thing on my list.
    -- Gwen Stefani

#Lists #Roles #Want

• The human animal differs from the lesser primates in his passion for lists.
    -- H. Allen Smith

#Passion #Animal #Lists

• Guys will definitely settle for women who get the joke. But a woman who can make you laugh? It's not high on a guy's must list. Perhaps it should be.
    -- Hank Azaria

#Laughing #Guy #Lists

• A good portfolio is more than a long list of good stocks and bonds. It is a balanced whole, providing the investor with protections and opportunities with respect to a wide range of contingencies.
    -- Harry Markowitz

#Opportunity #Long #Lists

• Wear what you feel comfortable with. People say nasty things about what I wear in the street. I'm always in worst dressed lists, but you just have to dress for yourself and ­nobody else.
    -- Helena Bonham Carter

#People #Dresses #Lists

• When someone asks me to list the 10 best novels ever written, I always refuse to answer.
    -- Henning Mankell

#Answers #Lists #Novel

• A man's interest in a single bluebird is worth more than a complete but dry list of the fauna and flora of a town.
    -- Henry David Thoreau

#Men #Lists #Towns

• Damn it, there are so many idiots whose ***** I have to kick! I'll have to start carrying a list just to keep track of 'em all!
    -- Hiromu Arakawa

#Track #Ems #Lists

• The list of American grievances is long: Pakistan developed nuclear weapons while promising the United States that it would not; the United States helped arm and train Mujahideen against the Soviets during the 1980s, but Pakistan chose to keep these militants well armed and sufficiently funded even after the Soviet withdrawal in 1989; and, from the American perspective, Pakistan's crackdown on terrorist groups, particularly after 9/11, has been halfhearted at best.
    -- Husain Haqqani

#Long #Perspective #Lists

• The Europeans and Americans have said the martyrdom operations are why Hamas has been put on the terrorist list. But now these operations have stopped. Did they then remove Hamas from the list of terrorist organisations? We do not launch wars. We are people resisting occupation.
    -- Ismail Haniyeh

#War #People #Lists

• There was a point when comics were considered to be mainly of interest to kids, and it was decided that kids could relate more to someone their own age than an adult. So suddenly all these previously grownup comics were lousy with sidekicks: Aquagirl, Aqualad, Robin, Kid Flash, Speedy, Stripesy... the list goes on.
    -- J. Michael Straczynski

#Kids #Age #Lists

• This is what I want you all to do. I want you to open a new document and type up a list of three problems in your life. Not the universe's life - your own. Underneath, type the solutions." "If we know the solutions," said Belle, "they're not problems." "Exactly," said Denny. "You do know the answers to most of your problems. Somewhere deep inside, you know.
    -- Jaclyn Moriarty

#Want #Lists #Three

• Andy Harp's RETRIBUTION is a stunner:  a blow to the gut and shot of adrenaline.  Here is a novel written with authentic authority and bears shocking relevance to the dangers of today.  It reminds me of Tom Clancy at his finest. Put this novel on your must-read list-anything by Harp is now on mine.
    -- James Rollins

#Blow #Today #Lists

• Neither nature, experience, nor probability informs these lists of 'entitlements', which are subject to no constraints except those of the mind and appetite of their authors.
    -- Jeane Kirkpatrick

#Mind #Lists #Entitlement

• If you're like me, I get hooked into to-do lists, you know. I'll say I checked that off. Okay, I did that. And you have all these things you're doing.
    -- Jeff Bridges

#Lists #Okay

• Web-site creation isn't something you learn once and then check off on your to do list.
    -- Jeffrey Veen

#Lists #Consciousness #Creation