Viruses quotes

• I am presenting here today both revolution and anarchy, for which I am fortunately not the only one responsible. However, anarchy cannot survive and prosper except in an ordered society, and revolution becomes sooner or later the new order. Viruses have not failed to follow the general law. They are strict parasites which, born of disorder, have created a very remarkable new order to ensure their own perpetuation.
    -- Andre Michel Lwoff

#Order #Law #Viruses

• When you put someone on therapy, you lower the level of virus such that it makes it very difficult for them to infect others.
    -- Anthony S. Fauci

#Viruses #Levels #Difficult

• People's computers are not getting more secure. They're getting more infected with viruses. They're getting more under the control of malware.
    -- Avi Rubin

#People #Viruses #Computer

• Dance music is like a virus, it has affected so many different genres
    -- Avicii

#Viruses #Different #Genre

• Teeth represent only 10 percent of the surface of your mouth and bacteria live throughout the whole mouth. When you stop brushing, bacteria left behind resettle on your teeth and gums. Oil pulling reaches virtually 100 percent of the mouth, thereby affecting all bacteria, viruses, fungi, and protozoa in the mouth.
    -- Bruce Fife

#Oil #Teeth #Viruses

• We all know many people who have been through this reality, and how it changes them. This happens to be an area I know something about. It's a virus.
    -- Christopher Guest

#Reality #People #Viruses

• In fact, a large majority of those have died and of those expected to die of AIDS, as well as of those who are infected with the virus, are in sub-Saharan Africa.
    -- Claudio Hummes

#Majority #Viruses #Facts

• Great writers arrive among us like new diseases - threatening, powerful, impatient for patients to pick up their virus, irresistible.
    -- Craig Raine

#Powerful #Viruses #Disease

• Any virus that's been sequenced today - that genome can be made.
    -- Craig Venter

#Motivation #Inspiration #Viruses

• Only one form of contagion travels faster than a virus. And that's fear.
    -- Dan Brown

#Viruses #Form #Faster

• We have become a plague upon ourselves and upon the Earth. It is cosmically unlikely that the developed world will choose to end its orgy of fossil energy consumption, and the Third World its suicidal consumption of landscape. Until such time as Homo Sapiens should decide to rejoin nature, some of us can only hope for the right virus to come along.
    -- David Graeber

#Suicidal #Energy #Viruses

• If there is delay in getting culling teams out, delay in any part of the chain, even weeks, that could have great implications for the virus to spread.
    -- David Nabarro

#Team #Viruses #Delay

• The way that worms and viruses spread on the Internet is not that different from the way they spread in the real world, and the way you quarantine them is not that different, either.
    -- David Ulevitch

#Real #Viruses #Different

• We need to band together as a unit every day, especially to conquer the strength of the AIDS virus.
    -- Dustin Hoffman

#Fighting #Together #Viruses

• hate is a virus, revenge its only cure!
    -- Eric Jerome Dickey

#Revenge #Hate #Viruses

• Getting C programmers to understand that they cause the computer to do less than minimum is intractable. … Ask him why he thinks he should be able to get away with unsafe code, core dumps, viruses, buffer overruns, undetected errors, etc., just because he wants speed.
    -- Erik Naggum

#Thinking #Errors #Viruses

• A virus is not just DNA; a virus is also packaged up, covered over with a series of proteins in a nice, elegant, well-compacted form.
    -- Francis Collins

#Nice #Dna #Viruses

• It seems likely that most if not all the genetic information in any organism is carried by nucleic acid - usually by DNA, although certain small viruses use RNA as their genetic material.
    -- Francis Crick

#Dna #Rna #Viruses

• Did he understand, as those interminable minutes ticked by, that being alone is not the same as being lonely? That being alone is a neutral state… something that exists only in the mind, not in the world, and, like a virus, is unable to survive without a willing host?
    -- Garth Stein

#Lonely #Mind #Viruses

• People called '28 Days' and '28 Weeks' zombie movies, and they're not! It's some sort of virus; they're not dead.
    -- George A. Romero

#People #Zombie #Viruses

• As every new breed of virus is conceived, created and released into the wild, another small change is made to the anti-virus software to combat the new threat.
    -- Glenn Turner

#Viruses #Made #Combat

• Freedom is the most contagious virus known to man.
    -- Hubert H. Humphrey

#Freedom #Men #Viruses

• Lyc-V is a jealous virus. It exterminates all other invaders with extreme prejudice.
    -- Ilona Andrews

#Jealous #Viruses #Prejudice

• Religion is like a virus that affects the behaviour of its host in such a way as to propagate itself further.
    -- Jack Pritchard

#Atheist #Viruses #Behaviour

• The entire range of living matter on Earth from whales to viruses and from oaks to algae could be regarded as constituting a single living entity capable of maintaining the Earth's atmosphere to suit its overall needs and endowed with faculties and powers far beyond those of its constituent parts.
    -- James Lovelock

#Whales #Atmosphere #Viruses

• An inefficient virus kills its host. A clever virus stays with it.
    -- James Lovelock

#Clever #Viruses #Host

• Sometimes, a word succeeds beyond the wildest dreams of its creators, like a virus sent into the world to infect common speech.
    -- Jasper Fforde

#Dream #Succeed #Viruses

• Form is the host; content is the virus.
    -- Jeff Noon

#Viruses #Host #Form

• We started the AIDS virus. We are only able to maintain our level of living by making sure that Third World people live in grinding poverty.
    -- Jeremiah

#People #Viruses #World

• Epidemics follow patterns because diseases follow patterns. Viruses spread; they reproduce; they die.
    -- Jill Lepore

#Epidemics #Viruses #Patterns

• The modern diet is grossly deficient in hundreds of important plant-derived immunity-building compounds which makes us highly vulnerable to viruses, infections and disease.
    -- Joel Fuhrman

#Important #Viruses #Disease

• …there was no more safety to be found in love than there was to be found in a virus.
    -- John Irving

#Safety #Viruses #Found

• The problem of viruses is temporary and will be solved in two years.
    -- John McAfee

#Years #Two #Viruses

• I pictured myself as a virus or a cancer cell and tried to sense what it would be like.
    -- Jonas Salk

#Cancer #Cells #Viruses

• Language is a virus, money is a nasty disease.
    -- Jonathan Barnbrook

#Viruses #Disease #Nasty

• The single biggest threat to man's continued dominance on the planet is the virus.
    -- Joshua Lederberg

#Men #Viruses #Dominance

• The mystery of that damn virus has been generated by the $2 billion a year they spend on it.
    -- Kary Mullis

#Years #Umpires #Viruses

• For the average home-user, anti-virus software is a must.
    -- Kevin Mitnick

#Home #Average #Viruses

• With 30,000 deaths and 200,000 hospitalizations from the seasonal flu, those numbers are certainly higher than what we've seen of the swine flu. Protecting yourself from both viruses is very important.
    -- Kristi Yamaguchi

#Numbers #Important #Viruses

• If the structure that serves as a template (the gene or virus molecule) consists of, say, two parts, which are themselves complementary In structure, then each of these parts can serve as the mould for the production of a replica of the other part, and the complex of two complementary parts thus can serve as the mould for the production of duplicates of itself.
    -- Linus Pauling

#Two #Molecules #Viruses

• Since most of the transmission is sexual transmission, you have a regional or local response to the virus.
    -- Luc Montagnier

#Viruses #Transmission #Response

• The idea of the live-virus vaccine is to produce in a continuous way some viral antigens.
    -- Luc Montagnier

#Ideas #Vaccines #Viruses

• We can be exposed to HIV many times without being chronically infected. Our immune system will get rid of the virus within a few weeks, if you have a good immune system.
    -- Luc Montagnier

#Viruses #Hiv #Week

• Laughter is a virus that infects you with humanity.
    -- Luis Alberto Urrea

#Laughter #Humanity #Viruses

• Ideas and products and messages and behaviors spread just like viruses do.
    -- Malcolm Gladwell

#Ideas #Viruses #Messages

• The unique nature about the influenza virus is its great potential for changes, for mutation.
    -- Margaret Chan

#Unique #Viruses #Mutation

• prejudice will always exist. So will sickness and disease, but that scarcely seems sufficient reason for telling our medical scientists to put on their hats, close up their laboratories, and give the spirochetes, bacilli and viruses a free hand.
    -- Margaret Halsey

#Hands #Giving #Viruses

• Cinder twisted up her lips. "Do you think it could have a virus?" "Maybe her programming was overwhelmed by Prince Kai's uncanny hotness.
    -- Marissa Meyer

#Thinking #Lips #Viruses

• Racism is a virus. And since nobody's really looking too hard for a cure it reproduces itself over and over again.
    -- Marita Golden

#Racism #Viruses #Cures

• [Physicists] feel that the field of bacterial viruses is a fine playground for serious children who ask ambitious questions.
    -- Max Delbruck

#Children #Ambitious #Viruses

• Over the past few days I have been fighting off a virus that has affected the majority of my band and crew.
    -- Mika

#Fighting #Past #Viruses

• The features of globalization have huge consequences on pandemics. It just connects us so much more closely... And as a consequence, every one of these viruses that passes from animals to humans has the capacity to infect all of us.
    -- Nathan Wolfe

#Animal #Viruses #Pandemics

• We know there are certain types of viruses that are nasty - influenza, for instance, is an area that is not a blindside. But a lot of viruses have come out of nowhere, like H.I.V., or to a certain extent SARS. Because we know we have the potential to be blindsided, we really have to investigate the unknowns.
    -- Nathan Wolfe

#Viruses #Nasty #Type

• When you're a hammer (as the saying goes), all your problems look like nails. If you're a meteorite expert pondering the sudden extinction of boatloads of species, you'll want to say an impact did it. If you're an igneous petrologist, volcanoes did it. If you're into spaceborne bioclouds, an interstellar virus did it. If you're a hypernova expert, gamma rays did it.
    -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

#Volcanoes #Impact #Viruses

• If everyone catches the cold virus it just... might make you fall into Onew Condition for a while!
    -- Onew

#Fall #Might #Viruses

• Images contaminate us like viruses.
    -- Paul Virilio

#Viruses

• Whining is a virus, a lethal, infectious, epidemic disease.
    -- Peter Høeg

#Epidemics #Disease #Viruses

• I wouldn't be worried to sit next to someone with Ebola virus on the Tube as long as they don't vomit on you or something. This is an infection that requires very close contact.
    -- Peter Piot

#Ebola #Long #Viruses

• Pseudoscience is like a virus. At low levels, it's no big deal, but when it reaches a certain threshold it becomes sickening.
    -- Phil Plait

#Levels #Viruses #Pseudoscience

• We torture and kill two billion sentient living beings every week. 10,000 entire species are wiped out every year because of the actions of one, and we are now facing the sixth mass extinction in cosmological history. If any other organism did this, a biologist would consider them a virus.
    -- Philip Wollen

#Years #Two #Viruses

• Only cells that had been transformed by a virus or a genetic mutation had the potential to become immortal.
    -- Rebecca Skloot

#Cells #Viruses #Mutation

• If we say that religion is a virus, then why isn't science a virus?
    -- Richard Dawkins

#Viruses

• To describe religions as mind viruses is sometimes interpreted as contemptuous or even hostile. It is both. I am often asked why I am so hostile to organized religion.
    -- Richard Dawkins

#Mind #Atheism #Viruses

• Maybe happiness is like a virus. Maybe it's one of those bugs that sits for a long time, so we don't even know that we are infected.
    -- Richard Powers

#Long #Bugs #Viruses

• When people asked him why he didn't work with those viruses, he replied, I don't particularly feel like dying.
    -- Richard Preston

#People #Dying #Viruses

• Being overly sensitive to rejection can become a destructive virus.
    -- Robert Herjavec

#Rejection #Viruses #Sensitive

• Gorillas are in danger of being wiped out by the Ebola virus. I feel like we have limited time to get to know them and understand them and they're going to disappear - that's terrifically sad. Wouldn't it be great if we could stop that?
    -- Sara Gruen

#Ebola #Gorillas #Viruses

• Of course, screening for HIV did essentially eliminate the transmission of this virus by transfusions.
    -- Serge Lang

#Viruses #Hiv #Screening

• Bits of ignorance are like viruses that are copied and spread by interaction.
    -- Seth Lloyd

#Ignorance #Viruses #Spread

• A biological agent, I’ll buy. Some sort of super-virus? Sure, why not. But death? Death is a disability, not a superpower. It’s hard to run with a cold, let alone the most debilitating malady of them all.
    -- Simon Pegg

#Running #Agents #Viruses

• Science that fails to embrace all living beings is far more dangerous than any virus!
    -- Steve Simmons

#Viruses #Vegan #Failing

• [Duesberg] is absolutely correct in saying that no one has proven that AIDS is caused by the AIDS virus. And he is absolutely correct that the virus cultured in the laboratory may not be the cause of AIDS.
    -- Walter Gilbert

#May #Causes #Viruses

• I am afraid that those comments go back to the late 80's. At that time I was a skeptic - the argument based on Koch's postulates to try to distinguish between cause and association. ... Today I would regard the success of the many antiviral agents which lower the virus titers (to be expected) and also resolve the failure of the immune system (only expected if the virus is the cause of the failure) as a reasonable proof of the causation argument .
    -- Walter Gilbert

#Trying #Viruses #Agents

• Why has there been so much secrecy about AIDS? When you ask where did the virus come from, it raises a lot of flags. That makes me suspicious.
    -- Wangari Maathai

#Flags #Viruses #Aids

• I want to avoid locking people into solutions that work only with Postfix. People should have a choice in what software they want to use with Postfix, be it anti-virus or otherwise.
    -- Wietse Venema

#People #Choices #Viruses

• Language is a virus from outer space.
    -- William S. Burroughs

#Space #Viruses #Language

• Yes, virus companies are playing on your fears to try to sell you bs protection software for Android, RIM and IOS. They are charlatans and scammers. IF you work for a company selling virus protection for android, rim or IOS you should be ashamed of yourself.
    -- Chris DiBona

#Ios #Trying #Viruses

• I have spent a lot of time arguing that the theory of group selection is not the stupid, pernicious doctrine that many biologists once claimed it to be. The theory is not just conceptually coherent; there are adaptations out there in nature (like reduced virulence in some viruses) that evolved because there was group selection.
    -- Elliott Sober

#Stupid #Groups #Viruses

• I can become a positive virus, a hope virus.
    -- Jean-Charles de Castelbajac

#Viruses #I Can

• The underground and the alternative is going to be substituted with being a virus.
    -- Jean-Charles de Castelbajac

#Viruses #Alternatives

• The key to HIV/AIDS was to say let's give a patient multiple different therapies at the same time and that makes the virus much less likely to mutate.
    -- Laurie Glimcher

#Keys #Giving #Viruses

• HIV/AIDS from converted from a lethal disease into a chronic disease because basic scientists' fundamental research was done that illuminated aspects of that virus and allowed the generation of therapies like antiretroviral therapies. And so now HIV/AIDS is not a lethal disease, it is a chronic disease.
    -- Laurie Glimcher

#Viruses #Hiv #Generations

• We have a show tonight. I've never missed a show. Not even the time I had that virus they kept saying only raccoons get.
    -- LIZ

#Viruses #Tonight #Raccoons

• I wanted to build something that was a system - that was mechanical and would propagate itself like a virus. I needed a way for it spread from person to person, and the best way to do that was trying to get someone to get their friends to sign up.
    -- Michael Birch

#Trying #Viruses #Way

• Just as I am not upset with somebody who has caught a cold, so too I am not upset with somebody who's caught the faith virus.
    -- Peter Boghossian

#Upset #Religion #Viruses

• Help cure the world of the faith virus.
    -- Peter Boghossian

#Religion #World #Viruses

• One by one, I could find a house that somebody had restored properly, and then another one, and now it's like a virus. Everybody in Palm Springs wants to do it.
    -- William Krisel

#Spring #House #Viruses

• The parasite of art, the virus of art, never ceases to gnaw awat at your brain, never ceases to torture you with the knowledge that whatever you’re doing could be done more beautifully, more powerfully, more stirringly, more disturbingly, more deeply.
    -- Brian Morton

#Art #Brain #Viruses

• We really depend on viruses for our complete survival.
    -- Carl Zimmer

#Survival #Viruses #Depends

• There is some research that suggests that viruses like the flu are really actually kind of at the razor's edge when it comes to mutation. They're mutating so fast that if they mutated much faster they would actually develop a lot of harmful mutations that could slow them down and cripple them and eventually literally drive them extinct.
    -- Carl Zimmer

#Viruses #Mutation #Research

• Viruses don't just make us sick. They can actually sometimes end up in our genomes.
    -- Carl Zimmer

#Sick #Viruses #Sometimes

• When you get sick with the flu you get infected with flu viruses and they make lots of new flu viruses, but those new viruses are not exact copies of the old ones. They have mutations in them. A lot of those mutations are harmful.
    -- Carl Zimmer

#Sick #Viruses #Mutation

• We may be sucking in all sorts of viruses and we really don't know the full range of them. Maybe we've got flu virus inside of us. That's a possibility. Maybe we're part flu.
    -- Carl Zimmer

#Viruses #May #Flu

• We have Borna virus genes. We're part Borna virus, which is weird, but apparently our cells and our genomes in a weird way might actually be grabbing these viruses, grabbing genetic material from the viruses that are infecting it and pulling them into their own genome.
    -- Carl Zimmer

#Cells #Viruses #Might

• Over millions of years the viruses in our genome mutate more and more so the look less and less and less recognizable as viruses and so if there was a virus that infected our pre mammal ancestors like 250 million years ago, which it probably did, we can't see it because it just looks totally random.
    -- Carl Zimmer

#Years #Mammals #Viruses

• One of the big challenges now is to figure out just how many viruses there really are in the human genome. So far the estimate is 8.3% of our genome is virus, but it actually could be a lot higher.
    -- Carl Zimmer

#Challenges #Viruses #Figures

• Borna virus is not a retrovirus. It doesn't actually insert its own genes into our cells. What it does is just hangs out near our DNA and uses some of the molecular machinery to copy itself.
    -- Carl Zimmer

#Dna #Cells #Viruses

• If you're looking for your own idea of your own identity you know the human genome may not be the best place to look for it. You're just looking at a bunch of viruses.
    -- Carl Zimmer

#Ideas #Identity #Viruses

• It used to be thought that only a certain kind of virus could get into our genome and it's called a retrovirus and that's a virus that might be HIV for example.
    -- Carl Zimmer

#Example #Viruses #Hiv

• Civilization is a social plague on the planet, and vices are just as necessary to it as is a virus to disease.
    -- Charles Fourier

#Civilization #Vices #Viruses