Fishing quotes

• The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.
    -- A. Best

#Fishing #Catching

• The only ones to profit from illegal, unreported and unregulated fishing are the owners of the fishing fleets who remain hidden behind veils of corporate secrecy.
    -- Achim Steiner

#Fishing #Veils #Secrecy

• How like fish we are: ready, nay eager, to seize upon whatever new thing some wind of circumstance shakes down upon the river of time! And how we rue our haste, finding the gilded morsel to contain a hook!
    -- Aldo Leopold

#Hunting #Wind #Fishing

• If you go fishing you may not catch any fish. If you don't go fishing, you'll never catch any fish.
    -- Alex Faickney Osborn

#Education #Fishing #May

• Work: a dangerous disorder affecting high public functionaries who want to go fishing.
    -- Ambrose Bierce

#Fishing #Want #Disorder

• Sadly, my hobby is what I do for work, so I don't go off and go fishing. I go home and veg, and then I go back to work.
    -- Andrew Stanton

#Home #Fishing #Hobbies

• This island is made mainly of coal and surrounded by fish. Only an organizing genius could produce a shortage of coal and fish at the same time.
    -- Aneurin Bevan

#Islands #Fishing #Coal

• Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
    -- Ann Landers

#Home #Men #Fishing

• I do fish. I think there is a connection between thinking and fishing mostly because you spend a lot of time up to your waist in water without a whole lot to keep your mind busy.
    -- Anthony Doerr

#Thinking #Fishing #Water

• Songwriting is like fishing in a stream; you put in your line and hope to catch something. And I don't think anyone downstream from Bob Dylan ever caught anything.
    -- Arlo Guthrie

#Thinking #Fishing #Lines

• Fly-fishing is the most fun you can have standing up.
    -- Arnold Gingrich

#Fun #Fishing #Fly Fishing

• A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it.
    -- Arnold Gingrich

#Fishing #Trout #Moments

• ...water that isn't fit for trout won't much longer be fit for us.
    -- Arnold Gingrich

#Lakes #Sea #Fishing

• I now believe that fishing is far more important than the fish.
    -- Arnold Gingrich

#Believe #Fishing #Important

• On the Firehole I caught thirty-six inches worth of trout - in six installments.
    -- Arnold Gingrich

#Fishing #Six #Trout

• There are two distinct visits to tackle-shops, the visit to buy tackle and the visit which may be described as Platonic when, being for some reason unable to fish, we look for an excuse to go in, and waste the tackle dealer's time.
    -- Arthur Ransome

#Lakes #Sea #Fishing

• . . perhaps the greatest satisfaction on the first day of the season is the knowledge in the evening that the whole of the rest of the season is to come.
    -- Arthur Ransome

#Lakes #Sea #Fishing

• Fishing is not like billiards, in which it is possible to attain a disgusting perfection.
    -- Arthur Ransome

#Lakes #Sea #Fishing

• Ill paddle board, swim in the ocean, roll in the sand, soak up the sun, eat good food, be with friends and family and go fishing with my dad.
    -- Behati Prinsloo

#Dad #Ocean #Fishing

• My golf game's gone off so much that when I went fishing a couple of weeks ago my first cast missed the lake.
    -- Ben Crenshaw

#Couple #Golf #Fishing

• Fish and visitors smell in three days.
    -- Benjamin Franklin

#Lakes #Sea #Fishing

• Hatchery fish have the same colours, but they always seem muted like bad reproductions of great art.
    -- Bill Barich

#Art #Fishing #Colour

• I walked to the lake and sat on the shore for a few minutes, just staring at the moonlight on the water. Moonlight never gets old.
    -- Bill Barich

#Lakes #Sea #Fishing

• Social entrepreneurs are not content just to give a fish or teach how to fish. They will not rest until they have revolutionized the fishing industry.
    -- Bill Drayton

#Teacher #Fishing #Giving

• It's not to give people fish It's not to teach them how to fish It's to build a new and better fishing industry
    -- Bill Drayton

#Leadership #Fishing #Giving

• The name of the author is the first to go followed obediently by the title, the plot, the heartbreaking conclusion, the entire novel which suddenly becomes one you have never read, never even heard of, as if, one by one, the memories you used to harbor decided to retire to the southern hemisphere of the brain, to a little fishing village where there are no phones.
    -- Billy Collins

#Memories #Fishing #Names

• I love fishing. It's transcendental meditation with a punchline.
    -- Billy Connolly

#Lakes #Sea #Fishing

• Fishing is one of the greatest things that you can do, it has the power to relax you like nothing else and there's nothing quite like the thrill of the catch.
    -- Bob Gibson

#Power #Fishing #Relax

• Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
    -- Bobby Flay

#Fishing #Cooking #Technique

• The shell fishing industry represents a major part of Louisiana's economy.
    -- Bobby Jindal

#Fishing #Louisiana #Shells

• Every city has a town outside with a lake. I pull out my fishing pole and fish. I've been doing that for a long time.
    -- Brandi Carlile

#Lakes #Fishing #Cities

• I love fishing, any kind of fishing.
    -- Brandi Carlile

#Fishing #Kind

• Coffee, whiskey, and fishing poles. That’s really all you need in life.
    -- Brandi Carlile

#Coffee #Fishing #Needs

• I am firmly convinced that the ideal combination leading to a happy life is to have the time to both fish and read.
    -- Brian Murphy

#Happy Life #Fishing #Life Is

• I like golf, hiking, camping, boating and fishing.
    -- Bryan Clay

#Golf #Fishing #Hiking

• Fishing provides time to think, and reason not to. If you have the virtue of patience, an hour or two of casting alone is plenty of time to review all you’ve learned about the grand themes of life.
    -- Carl Safina

#Thinking #Fishing #Two

• If you ask the fish whether they'd rather have an oil spill or a season of fishing, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd vote for another blowout.
    -- Carl Safina

#Fishing #Oil #Vote

• The ocean is not just blank blue space but rather the habitat for amazing wildlife, and we have to take care how we use it. If we want to keep having the goods and services it provides, we have to treat it more carefully in terms of fishing and dumping.
    -- Carl Safina

#Ocean #Blue #Fishing

• I never watch MTV. I don't have time to watch TV. And when I do, I'm watching the Discovery Channel. 'Deadliest Catch: Crab Fishing in Alaska,' that's my show.
    -- Carly Schroeder

#Alaska #Discovery #Fishing

• We see that there are two different kinds of...societies: (a) parasitic societies and (b) producing societies. The former are those which live from hunting, fishing, or merely gleaning. By their economic activities they do not increase, but rather decrease, the amount of wealth in the world. The second kind of societies, producing societies, live by agricultural and pastoral activities. By these activities they seek to increase the amount of wealth in the world.
    -- Carroll Quigley

#Hunting #Fishing #Two

• I grew up in a small, strictly-Catholic fishing village on the coast of Wales. The people there have a different attitude to life than those in Hollywood - people stick together more.
    -- Catherine Zeta-Jones

#Attitude #Fishing #People

• It is well known that no person who regards his reputation will ever kill a trout with anything but a fly. It requires some training on the part of the trout to take to this method. The uncultivated, unsophisticated trout in unfrequented waters prefers the bait; and the rural people, whose sole object in going a-fishing appears to be to catch fish, indulge them in their primitive taste for the worm. No sportsman however, will use anything but the fly, except when he happens to be alone.
    -- Charles Dudley Warner

#Sea #Fishing #Rivers

• Often I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, briar scarred, sunburned, mosquito bitten, but never, with a fly rod in my hand have I been less than in a place that was less than beautiful.
    -- Charles Kuralt

#Beautiful #Hands #Fishing

• I saw a fleet of fishing boats...I flew down almost touching the craft and yelled at them, asking if I was on the right road to Ireland. They just stared. Maybe they didn't hear me. Maybe I didn't hear them. Or maybe they thought I was just a crazy fool.
    -- Charles Lindbergh

#Crazy #Fishing #Touching

• She is such a good friend that she would throw all her acquaintances into the water for the pleasure of fishing them out again.
    -- Charles Maurice de Talleyrand

#Sarcastic #Good Friend #Fishing

• The sporting qualities of a fish are dependent neither on its size nor its weight, but on the effort of concentration, the skill and mastery the fish demands from the fisherman
    -- Charles Ritz

#Fishing #Skills #Rivers

• For this form of fishing (with a wet fly), the rod is no longer a shooting machine but a receiving post, with super-sensitive antennae, capable of registering immediately the slightest reaction of the fish to the fly.
    -- Charles Ritz

#Lakes #Sea #Fishing

• Most of the world is covered by water. A fisherman's job is simple: Pick out the best parts.
    -- Charles W. Waterman

#Jobs #Simple #Fishing

• I don't believe in rock bottom. Rock bottom is like a fishing term.
    -- Charlie Sheen

#Believe #Rocks #Fishing

• Rock bottom; that's a fishing term.
    -- Charlie Sheen

#Rocks #Fishing #Term

• If I were not African, I wonder whether it would be clear to me that Africa is a place where the people do not need limp gifts of fish but sturdy fishing rods and fair access to the pond. I wonder whether I would realize that while African nations have a failure of leadership, they also have dynamic people with agency and voices.
    -- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

#Voice #Agency #Fishing

• Fly fishing is not about catching the fish. It is about enjoying the water, the breeze, the fish swimming all around. If you catch one, good. If you don't...that is even better. That mean you come out and get to try all over again.
    -- Clare Vanderpool

#Mean #Swimming #Fishing

• Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing.
    -- Clark Gable

#Fishing #Dames #Hell

• We know of fishing vessels that carry up to twelve different flags on board, and they re-flag their ship at sea,.
    -- Claude Martin

#Sea #Fishing #Twelve

• Leave the fishing-rod, Great General, to us sovereigns of Pharos and Canopus. Your game is cities and kings and continents.
    -- Cleopatra

#Leadership #Kings #Fishing

• One of the cries from the people was, don't forget us. They have a long road ahead of them. Operation Blessing has found those little fishing towns. They will not be getting what other towns are getting from the government.
    -- Connie Sellecca

#Blessing #Government #Fishing

• A trout fisherman is something that defieth understanding.
    -- Corey Ford

#Lakes #Sea #Fishing

• Trout fishing is like any other sport. It is waste of words to try to give anyone who has never tried it any idea of what it means to land a five-pound trout on a gossamer leader.
    -- Cornelia Parker

#Sports #Mean #Fishing

• Ye monsters of the bubbling deep, Your Maker's praises spout; Up from the sands ye codlings peep, And wag your tails about.
    -- Cotton Mather

#Lakes #Sea #Fishing

• Whether I caught fish or not, just the thrill of rolling out that line and watching my fly turn over has been good enough for me. That and the hundreds of treasured memories I have of this wonderful sport.
    -- Curt Gowdy

#Sports #Memories #Fishing

• There are times when salmon play no part in the proceedings of a day that is obstensibly spent in their pursuit.
    -- Dale Rex Coman

#Lakes #Sea #Fishing

• What I miss most about living in Alaska is the fishing.
    -- Darby Stanchfield

#Alaska #Fishing #Missing

• What's the two things they tell you are healthiest to eat? Chicken and fish. You know what you should do? Combine them, eat a penguin.
    -- Dave Attell

#Lakes #Sea #Fishing

• Fishing is boring, unless you catch an actual fish, and then it is disgusting.
    -- Dave Barry

#Lakes #Sea #Fishing

• Desire for an idea is like bait. When you're fishing, you have to have patience. You bait your hook, and then you wait. The desire is the bait that pulls those fish in-those ideas.
    -- David Lynch

#Fishing #Ideas #Waiting

• I long for a kind of quiet where I can just drift and dream. I always say getting inspiration is like fishing. If you're quiet and sitting there and you have the right bait, you're going to catch a fish eventually. Ideas are sort of like that. You never know when they're going to hit you.
    -- David Lynch

#Dream #Inspiration #Fishing

• I ran around with the other youngsters, hunting, fishing and raising tadpoles and all the rest.
    -- DeForest Kelley

#Hunting #Fishing #Tadpoles

• I can really fish - I've been fishing since I was a kid.
    -- Deion Sanders

#Kids #Fishing #Fishes

• It's really not as bad as it sounds. I was attacked by a shark once, back when I was alive. Well, not so much a shark as a rather large fish. And not so much attacked as looked at menacingly. But it had murder in its eyes, that fish. I knew, in that instant, if our roles had been reversed and the fish had been holding the fishing pole and I had been the one to be caught, it wouldn't hesitate a moment before eating me. So I cooked it and ate before it had a chance to turn the tables.
    -- Derek Landy

#Eye #Sharks #Fishing

• If Satch (Paige) and I were pitching on the same team, we would clinch the pennant by July fourth and go fishing until World Series time.
    -- Dizzy Dean

#Team #July #Fishing

• If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
    -- Doug Larson

#Stress #Fishing #People

• I continue to be a photographer; I have enjoyed fishing and hunting with a close friend; and have owned two ranches, first in northern California and then in the state of Washington.
    -- Douglass North

#Hunting #Fishing #Two

• It's like fishing -- you got to get that first one in the boat. Once you get that first one, the skunk is off the boat and everything's cool from then on. You've got to get that first one. Once he gets the first one, I know he'll be fine.
    -- Dusty Baker

#Fishing #Firsts #Boat

• When things are going well, I can't write fast enough to keep up with my mind. Writing walks, speech runs and talk flies. Other times, though, it's like fishing.
    -- Dylan Moran

#Running #Writing #Fishing

• People who fish for food, and sport be damned, are called pot-fishermen. The more expert ones are called crack pot-fishermen. All other fishermen are called crackpot fishermen. This is confusing.
    -- Ed Zern

#Sports #Fishing #People

• ...there are few things deader than a dead brown trout stream.
    -- Ed Zern

#Lakes #Sea #Fishing

• It is easy to tell tourists from tarpon. Tarpon have a narrow, bony plate inside the mouth of their lower jaw. Tourists have both upper and lower plates.
    -- Ed Zern

#Lakes #Sea #Fishing

• Most fishing rods work better if you grasp them at the thick end. If you grasp a fisherman at the thick end, you may get a thumb bit off.
    -- Ed Zern

#Lakes #Sea #Fishing

• Loads of overtaking is boring. You go fishing and you catch a fish every ten minutes and it's boring. But if you site there all day, and you catch one mega fish, you come back with stories that you caught a fish this big (indicates a big fish), intead of this size (indicating a small fish)
    -- Eddie Irvine

#Fishing #Big Fish #Stories

• Why is it that the destruction of something created by humans is called vandalism, yet the destruction of something created by God is called development?
    -- Edward Abbey

#Lakes #Sea #Fishing

• Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
    -- Ernest Hemingway

#Sea #Fishing #Rivers

• Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl.
    -- Ernest Hemingway

#Girl #Writing #Fishing

• I never lost a little fish - Yes, I'm free to say. It always was the biggest fish I caught, that got away.
    -- Eugene Field

#Lakes #Sea #Fishing

• The biggest fish he ever caught were those that got away.
    -- Eugene Field

#Fishing #Caught #Fishes

• There's nothing like fishing to pass the time and to incline toward a sort of magnificent stupidity in which nothing matters but tackle, bait, sunlight and the strike.
    -- Faith Baldwin

#Fishing #Stupidity #Bait

• Twenty years ago people thought they were fishing nets and all sorts of things when you brought out a lacrosse stick. Now almost everywhere you go, people have heard of it, they've seen it and they're like, "Oh, that's sport I saw on TV or my grandson plays that," and it's changed the face of the game and potential of the future.
    -- Gary Gait

#Sports #Years #Fishing

• Come warm weather, I'm going to take a kid fishing; I hope you do to. But nothing would make me happier than to look across the cove or down the stream and see a young one help an old one remember what it is like to be young in Springtime.
    -- Gene Hill

#Kids #Hunting #Fishing

• Golf is like hunting and fishing. What counts is the companionship and fellowship of friends, not what you catch or shoot.
    -- George Archer

#Golf #Hunting #Fishing

• Old Peter Grimes made fishing his employ; His wife he cabined with him and his boy, And seemed that life laborious to enjoy.
    -- George Crabbe

#Boys #Fishing #Wife

• A sly old fish, too cunning for the hook.
    -- George Crabbe

#Lakes #Sea #Fishing

• I can't bear fishing. I think people look like fools sitting watching a line hour after hour-or else throwing and throwing, and catching nothing.
    -- George Eliot

#Thinking #Fishing #Rivers

• It is a very good quality in a man to have a trout-stream.
    -- George Eliot

#Men #Fishing #Quality

• The curious thing about fishing is you never want to go home. If you catch something, you can't stop. If you don't catch anything, you hate to leave in case something might bite.
    -- Gladys Taber

#Hate #Home #Fishing

• Catching something is merely a byproduct of our fishing. It is the act of fishing that wipes away all grief, lightens all worry, dissolves all fear and anxiety.
    -- Gladys Taber

#Grief #Fishing #Worry

• Comprehensive climate legislation must be passed so that we can ensure a world where this and future generations can experience the bliss of breathing clean crisp air, while fishing in the Adirondacks... and being able to eat the fish afterwards.
    -- Gloria Reuben

#Air #Fishing #Breathing

• Datin'is a lot like fishin'. Sometimes catch and release is the best method.
    -- Granger Smith

#Lakes #Sea #Fishing

• In these sad and ominous days of mad fortune chasing, every patriotic, thoughtful citizen, whether he fishes or not, should lament that we have not among our countrymen more fishermen.
    -- Grover Cleveland

#Patriotic #Thoughtful #Fishing

• The English countryside is the most staggeringly beautiful place. I can't spend as much time there as I like, but I like everything about it. I like fishing, I like clay- pigeon shooting.
    -- Guy Ritchie

#Beautiful #Fishing #Pigeons

• There comes a time in every man's life when he is either going to go fishing or do something worse.
    -- Havilah Babcock

#Men #Fishing #There Comes A Time

• Advice to anglers: don't take advice from people with missing fingers.
    -- Henry Beard

#Fishing #People #Missing