Editing quotes

• That's the thing about making a movie: You never finish editing. They just take it away from you.
    -- Abel Ferrara

#Editing #Away From You

• Bad spellers of the world untie!
    -- Adam Savage

#Writing #Editing #World

• I feel that working with the camera and editing it is actually my strong suit.
    -- Adam Yauch

#Strong #Editing #Cameras

• I'm a student. I want to do better, and I want directors who can find the actress in me and be my teachers. I'm interested in the whole process of editing, post-production and direction.
    -- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan

#Teacher #Editing #Directors

• A lot of directors prefer the solitude of the editing process, but I revel in the craziness of what a film set is.
    -- Alan Parker

#Editing #Solitude #Directors

• Once you sign on as an actor, you know, you don't go to the editing room, you don't see how they cut, you don't see how they score, you don't see how they cast the rest of the movie.
    -- Albert Brooks

#Cutting #Editing #Actors

• The best songwriting comes from being as creative as you can and editing it down to the good bits, essentially.
    -- Alex Kapranos

#Editing #Creative #Songwriting

• All three parts of filmmaking [writing, shooting, editing] contribute to rhytm. You want the script to be a tight as possible, you want the acting to be as efficient as possible on the set, and you have enough coverage to manipulate the rhythm in the editing room, and then in the editing room you want to find the quickest possible version, even if it's a leisurely paced film. I definitely in filmmaking more and more find writing and directing a means to harvest material for editing. It's all about editing.
    -- Alexander Payne

#Writing #Mean #Editing

• I definitely in filmmaking more and more find writing and directing a means to harvest material for editing. It's all about editing.
    -- Alexander Payne

#Writing #Mean #Editing

• I used to be very controlling with visuals and editing, and I would pretty much craft the performances; now I have learned to trust the material and the actors.
    -- Alfonso Cuaron

#Editing #Crafts #Actors

• I grew up on film sets but more around the process of making films. I saw a lot of the editing process and the writing process, which takes years. That really affected me growing up, that side of it.
    -- Alice Englert

#Growing Up #Writing #Editing

• Fabricating reality was criminal; editing it, commonplace.
    -- Amy Waldman

#Reality #Editing #Criminals

• You become a good writer just as you become a good joiner: by planing down your sentences.
    -- Anatole France

#Writing #Editing #Sentences

• Objectivity can only be the author's and therefore subjective, even if he is editing a newsreel.
    -- Andrei Tarkovsky

#Editing #Objectivity

• Creating a book and creating a collection involve a lot of editing.
    -- Anna Sui

#Book #Editing #Creating

• Part of the pleasure of editing 'Vogue,' one that lies in a long tradition of this magazine, is being able to feature those who define the culture at any given moment, who stir things up, whose presence in the world shapes the way it looks and influences the way we see it.
    -- Anna Wintour

#Lying #Editing #Long

• I write quickly with a sense of urgency. I don't edit myself out of existence, meaning I'll try to write 50 or 60 pages before I start rereading, revising and editing. That just helps with my confidence.
    -- Anthony Bourdain

#Writing #Editing #Trying

• Once you start to realize that a film is the sum of its editing, then editing is the thing you're always looking at.
    -- Anthony Minghella

#Editing #Realizing #Film

• I am a part of the old school where I feel that purity of the language should be retained. But English is a constantly evolving language where new words are being added to the dictionary, so I don't see any harm in experimenting with the language. Only poor editing standards need to be improved.
    -- Ashwin Sanghi

#School #Editing #Needs

• The simpler you say it, the more eloquent it is.
    -- August Wilson

#Writing #Editing #Eloquent

• The thing for someone just starting off [in writing] is to write. You need to have limber fingers, whether you write with your fingers or you type on your laptop, but you need to have a limber mind and you need to be able to write without judging what you've written, at least right away, and without editing right away.
    -- Augusten Burroughs

#Writing #Editing #Judging

• As a loyal believer in the Auteur Theory I first felt editing was but the logical consequence of the way in which one shoots. But, what I learned is that it is actually another writing.
    -- Bernardo Bertolucci

#Writing #Editing #Loyal

• If any sort of error is inexcusable, it's an incorrect phone number. One of the cardinal rules of copy editing is that every phone number published must be checked.
    -- Bill Walsh

#Errors #Phones #Editing

• A burro is an ass. A burrow is a hole in the ground. As a journalist you are expected to know the difference.
    -- Bill Walsh

#Writing #Editing #Differences

• A harsh reality of newspaper editing is that the deadlines don't allow for the polish that you expect in books or even magazines
    -- Bill Walsh

#Book #Reality #Editing

• What comes first? The melody, always. It's all about singing the melodies live in my head. They go in circles. I guess I'm quite conservative and romantic about the power of melodies. I try not to record them on my Dictaphone when I first hear them. If I forget all about it and it pops up later on, then I know it's good enough. I let my subconscious do the editing for me.
    -- Bjork

#Circles #Editing #Singing

• Editing might be a bloody trade. But knives aren't the exclusive property of butchers. Surgeons use them too.
    -- Blake Morrison

#Writing #Editing #Knives

• The best moments can't be preconceived. I've spent a lot of time in editing rooms, and a scene can be technically perfect, with perfect delivery and facial expression and timing, and you remember all your lines, and it is dead.
    -- Brad Pitt

#Editing #Expression #Perfect

• Editing is now the easiest thing on earth to do, and all the things that evolved out of word processing - 'Oh, let's put that sentence there, let's get rid of this' - have become commonplace in films and music too.
    -- Brian Eno

#Editing #Earth #Film

• I always feel like the editing room is like coming into the kitchen. What kind of a meal do you make from there? It can be anything.
    -- Brit Marling

#Editing #Kitchen #Rooms

• In the editing room, 20 percent of the time you're using stuff from before the actor knew the camera was rolling or you're taking a line from somewhere else and putting it in his mouth.
    -- Campbell Scott

#Editing #Cameras #Rolling

• Our admiration of fine writing will always be in proportion to its real difficulty and its apparent ease.
    -- Charles Caleb Colton

#Real #Writing #Editing

• We're so quick to cut away pieces of ourselves to suit a particular relationship, a job, a circle of friends, incessantly editing who we are until we fit in.
    -- Charles de Lint

#Jobs #Cutting #Editing

• I find that the majority of the year, I don't spend acting. I spend it either writing or editing or producing, or putting things together. So it's as shocking as it is tragic. I really enjoy it. It's a valuable skill set. I certainly feel like more of a grownup.
    -- Charlie Day

#Writing #Editing #Years

• People think that writing is writing, but actually writing is editing. Otherwise, you're just taking notes
    -- Chris Abani

#Writing #Thinking #Editing

• I think Gram did his best work in co-writes. Sometimes when you're working with one other person, it's such a magical thing. You're editing each other and you're trying to create that one spark.
    -- Chris Hillman

• The process of editing is what I enjoy most - putting the pieces together and making sense out of them.
    -- Christian Marclay

#Editing #Together #Pieces

• It's good to get away from the editing suite. It's very unhealthy to be sitting in front of the screen for too long.
    -- Christian Marclay

#Editing #Long #Sitting

• Well, you always discover a lot in the editing room. Particularly the action, because you have to over-shoot a lot and shoot an enormous amount of material because many of the sequences have to be discovered in the editing and manipulation of it.
    -- Christopher Nolan

#Editing #Rooms #Manipulation

• George Lazenby is no one's favorite James Bond, but for me the anonymity at the center of this lavish production only serves to reveal the Bond machine firing on all cylinders: superb editing and photography, incredible score, great setpieces. The most romantic in the series, and it actually has, of all things, a tragic ending.
    -- Christopher Nolan

#Photography #Editing #Most Romantic

• I've lived through the shooting of movie, the editing and every other process along the way, so it's not for me to really judge it. I'll probably look at it again five years from now to get a fresh feel for it.
    -- Clint Eastwood

#Editing #Years #Judging

• If you're working on a computer and you're editing bass, it looks like a warm curvy, sort of feminine object.
    -- Colin Greenwood

#Editing #Looks #Bass

• A lot of people, myself included, are excited about blogging and stuff like that, citizen journalism, but I do remind people that no matter how excited we are, there's no substitute for professional writing, no substitute for professional editing, and no substitute for professional fact-checking.
    -- Craig Newmark

#Writing #Editing #People

• As an actor you have to bring to the table your creative input. But when a director like Ridley Scott says I want you to do this this way, you know when he gets to the editing room he has a reason for it. Its like watching a masterpiece.
    -- Cuba Gooding, Jr.

#Editing #Creative #Directors

• Editing can alter the original meaning and context, and computers can alter the image itself. The camera can also be manipulated. At the very least, it must be turned in one direction - only one direction at a time ... Who chooses what direction to point the camera, and why?
    -- Dan Rather

#One Direction #Editing #Cameras

• Alfred Hitchcock talked about planning out his movies so meticulously that when he was actually shooting and editing, it was the most boring thing in the world. But drawing comics isn't like shooting a movie. You can shoot a movie in a few days and be done with it, but drawing a comic takes years and years. That's the biggest part of doing comics: You have to create stuff that makes you want to get out of bed every morning and get to work.
    -- Daniel Clowes

#Morning #Drawing #Editing

• There are editing procedures for talks just as there are editing procedures in jazz improvisation.
    -- David Antin

#Editing #Jazz Improvisation #Procedures

• I tend to write things seven times before I show them to my editor. I write them seven times, then I take them on tour, read them like a dozen times on tour, then go back to the room and rewrite, read and rewrite... I would never show him a first draft, because then he's really going to be sick of it by the twelfth draft.
    -- David Sedaris

#Writing #Editing #Editors

• My novels tend to take a long time to become exactly what they're going to be. They're fluid messes until I've done a ton of editing and refining and rewriting. When I write novels, I always make related scrapbooks to help me organize and test my intentions.
    -- Dennis Cooper

#Writing #Editing #Long

• You cant act for the editing. You just go in and do the scene the way you think is right.
    -- Dennis Farina

#Thinking #Editing #Way

• Any editing, software work, and mail is done in this exported Plan 9
    -- Dennis Ritchie

#Editing #Done #Mail

• When you are acting in a film, you have no idea what scene the editor is going to choose. For instance, after you have directed, you feel more comfortable delivering a performance. Because you know the real performance is put together in the editing room.
    -- Dolph Lundgren

#Real #Editing #Editors

• When I use a direct manipulation system whether for text editing, drawing pictures, or creating and playing games I do think of myself not as using a computer but as doing the particular task. The computer is, in effect, invisible. The point cannot be overstressed: make the computer system invisible.
    -- Donald A. Norman

#Thinking #Playing Games #Editing

• Maybe writing can't be taught, but editing can be taught—prayer, fasting and self-mutilation.
    -- Donald Barthelme

#Prayer #Writing #Editing

• My wife convinced me to try doing the restorations digitally. I thought I could learn the photo editing software over the Thanksgiving weekend. It took me until May of the next year before I sold anything I did with it.
    -- Donald Lambert

#Photography #Weekend #Editing

• The longer I write, the more important I believe it is to write the first draft as fast as possible. In drafting, I push myself so I am at the edge of discomfort...Later, it will be time for consideration and reconsideration, slow, careful revision and editing. But on the first draft I have to achieve velocity, just as you do if you want the bike to balance.
    -- Donald Murray

#Believe #Writing #Editing

• For me, shooting, editing, and scoring rely on rhythm.
    -- Donnie Yen

#Editing #Shooting #Rhythm

• Editing is the most companionable form of education.
    -- Ed Weeks

#Editing #Form #Publishing

• I remember doing one day of work, and I was so good I ended up doing 25 days on that movie. And all of it ended up on the editing room floor. That was my first Hollywood lesson: Just because you filmed a movie doesn't necessarily mean that you're in it.
    -- Eddie Griffin

#Mean #Editing #One Day

• Editing and post-production is so important with comedy.
    -- Eddie Kaye Thomas

#Editing #Important #Comedy

• The (editing) work was like peeling an onion. The outer skin came off with difficulty... but in no time youd be down to its innards, tears streaming from your eyes as more and more beautiful reductions became possible.
    -- Edward Blishen

#Beautiful #Eye #Editing

• The films dramatic requirements should always take precedence over the mere aesthetics of editing.
    -- Edward Dmytryk

#Editing #Requirements #Film

• Allowing artist-illustrators to control the design and content of statistical graphics is almost like allowing typographers to control the content, style, and editing of prose.
    -- Edward Tufte

#Artist #Editing #Design

• Editing is everything. Cut until you can cut no more.
    -- Esther Freud

#Cutting #Editing

• The essence of cinema is editing. It's the combination of what can be extraordinary images of people during emotional moments, or images in a general sense, put together in a kind of alchemy.
    -- Francis Ford Coppola

#Emotional #Editing #Essence

• There are two things wrong with almost all legal writing. One is its style. The other is its content.
    -- Fred Rodell

#Writing #Editing #Two

• You have to edit the material. That assumes that some kind of a mind is operating in relation to the material. Not all minds are the same. Every aspect of filmmaking requires choice. The selection of the subject, the shooting, editing and length are all aspects of choice.
    -- Frederick Wiseman

#Editing #Choices #Mind

• I think I have an obligation, to the people who have consented to be in the film, to make a film that is fair to their experience. The editing of my films is a long and selective process. I do feel that when I cut a sequence, I have an obligation to the people who are in it, to cut it so that it fairly represents what I felt was going on at the time, in the original event. I don't try and cut it to meet the standards of a producer or a network or a television show.
    -- Frederick Wiseman

#Cutting #Thinking #Editing

• Phases of the creative process: Preparation-gathering impressions Incubation-letting go of certainties Immersion/Illumination-creative intervention/risk Revision-conscious structuring and editing of creative material.
    -- Gail Sheehy

#Letting Go #Creativity #Editing

• Editing is the only process. The shooting is the pleasant work. The editing makes the movie, so I spend all my life in editing
    -- Garry Marshall

#Editing #Shooting #Process

• Many writers profess great exactness in punctuation who never yet made a point.
    -- George D. Prentice

#Writing #Editing #Punctuation

• We are the products of editing, rather than of authorship.
    -- George Wald

#Editing #Atheism #Authorship

• Evolution advances, not by a priori design, but by the selection of what works best out of whatever choices offer. We are the products of editing, rather than of authorship.
    -- George Wald

#Editing #Choices #Design

• In the editing process, I delete what I do not want to use, move what remains around if necessary and add elements that I feel will make my visual statement as clear and understandable as possible.
    -- Gerald Brommer

#Moving #Editing #Add

• Editing and selectivity are processes that provide the first steps in determining and conveying content.
    -- Gerald Brommer

#Editing #Firsts #Steps

• I love the idea of leaving some of the original abstract thought in, because the problem is that when you pick up a pen you become a snob, your own worse critic. You edit yourself in a way that is non-creative.
    -- Glen Hansard

#Editing #Ideas #Creative

• Could I do with a little life editing? Would that give me a little more freedom? Maybe a little more time?
    -- Graham Hill

#Motivation #Inspiration #Editing

• I don't do any research. It's all about gut. Editing - it's always about gut.
    -- Graydon Carter

#Editing #Research #Guts

• The greatest thing that prepared me for editing 'Vanity Fair' was having four kids because you just learn to subjugate your ego with the greater interest in mind.
    -- Graydon Carter

#Kids #Vanity #Editing

• There's a lot of films that have relatively rigid road maps because they have a script and others that are less rigid because they have less of a script, like 'Elephant.' The road map becomes more interpretive, maybe, than one with a detailed script. Editing-wise, they all have their problems.
    -- Gus Van Sant

#Wise #Editing #Elephants

• I'm organizing documentary films, and whenever scriptwriting gets too tedious I go to my editing room and start to edit the documentary, even if I don't have the full funding yet. So you have to keep yourself busy, you have to like the subject matter.
    -- Haile Gerima

#Editing #Matter #Documentary Films

• Anyone who can not write should.
    -- Harlan Ellison

#Writing #Editing #Editors

• Every syllable that can be struck out is pure profit, and every page that can be economised is a five-per-cent dividend. Nature rebels against this rule; the flesh is weak, and shrinks from the scissors; I groan in retrospect over the weak.
    -- Henry Adams

#Editing #Retrospect #Rebel

• It's easier to teach a poet how to read a balance sheet than it is to teach an accountant how to write.
    -- Henry R. Luce

#Writing #Editing #Balance

• Be direct, simple, brief, vigorous, and lucid.
    -- Henry Watson Fowler

#Writing #Simple #Editing

• I was the Playmate editor for 'Playboy' for two years. I produced two years' worth of centerfolds. I did everything on that, from picking the girls to designing the sets to picking the wardrobe, coming up with themes, assigning the photographer, down to editing the photos and approving the retouching.
    -- Holly Madison

#Girl #Editing #Years

• Often you must turn your stylus to erase, if you hope to write anything worth a second reading.
    -- Horace

#Reading #Writing #Editing

• There is anxiety, but it comes after you've finished filming because it's out of your hands; people are editing it, they're cutting it, marketing it. And it's... part your career sort of rides on that. But when you're actually filming it's a team thing and it really feels good there for me.
    -- Hugh Jackman

#Team #Cutting #Editing

• Every time I take a photo, it goes into SnapSeed. Even if it's just a price tag on something, it still goes into SnapSeed, and I start editing it. I'm not a photographer, so I need all the help I can get when it comes to make a picture look cool.
    -- Hunter Hayes

#Editing #Needs #Looks

• Directing's the best part. Whenever I've directed something, there's this feeling of demand and focus that I like. And secondly, it means that you've gotten through all the writing stuff, and the producing stuff, and casting, and prep, and all those stages that are seemingly endless. So directing is sort of the reward for all the work you put in before. And then there's the editing, which is another amazing stage of the process. It's incredible the moments you can create.
    -- J. J. Abrams

#Mean #Writing #Editing

• Directing, editing, and everything about filmmaking has definitely changed me as an actor.
    -- James Franco

#Editing #Actors #Filmmaking

• Poetry is everywhere; it just needs editing.
    -- James Tate

#Editing #Poetry #Needs

• Well, Toronto, I consider to be the birthplace of my films. I've made three films and this is the third one to premiere here in the same theater on the same day at the same time - they are my audience. They're the people that I think about while I'm writing, directing, and editing. I specifically make movies for them.
    -- Jason Reitman

• I'm really specific in the way that I shoot. I've always had a very good sense of what I need in the editing room. I used to shoot in a way that drew more attention to the camera and I've tried, in each film, to draw less and less attention to the camera. I think when you pay attention to the shots, you're aware of the fact that there's a director.
    -- Jason Reitman

#Thinking #Editing #Attention

• I spent a fair amount of time editing the lyrics and allowing the song to kind of evolve. ... anytime there's anything worthwhile, it certainly 'feels' like it happened on the spur of the moment, but it's a composite of lots of spurs of the moment, hopefully. And over time, you catch up with those, and then you have a full set of lyrics you've thought of and you feel comfortable singing.
    -- Jeff Tweedy

#Song #Writing #Editing

• Racing cars which have been converted for road use never really work. It's like making a hard core adult film, and then editing it so that it can be shown in British hotels. You'd just end up with a sort of half hour close up of some bloke's sweaty face.
    -- Jeremy Clarkson

#Editing #Car #Racing

• I don't listen to music when I'm writing, but I often do when I'm reworking, editing or when I need to relax.
    -- Joanne Harris

#Writing #Editing #Relax

• Editing is where movies are made or broken. Many a film has been saved and many a film has been ruined in the editing room.
    -- Joe Dante

#Editing #Broken #Rooms

• Editing is kind of a solitary job.
    -- Joe Dante

#Jobs #Editing #Kind

• When you make a 3-D movie you actually have to plan the way the visuals look because there's a parallax issue, and there's an issue of editing; you can't edit very quickly in 3-D because the eye won't adjust fast enough for it.
    -- Joe Dante

#Eye #Editing #Issues