Ivory quotes

• Beige is atmosphere. It's bisque, it's ivory, it's cream, it's stone, it's toast, it's cappuccino. It;s well, it's magic.
    -- Albert Hadley

#Ivory #Atmosphere #Magic

• Smooth shapes are very rare in the wild but extremely important in the ivory tower and the factory
    -- Benoit Mandelbrot

#Ivory #Important #Towers

• I wash my face every night with Ivory soap, and I don't wear much makeup.
    -- Brandy Norwood

#Makeup #Night #Ivory

• Even ivory towers need central heating.
    -- Breyten Breytenbach

#Ivory Tower #Ivory #Towers

• Ivory's the kind of girl who gets drunk and immediately starts slurring. I have a lot of friends like that, and I think it's because it makes me look 'more together.
    -- Chelsea Handler

#Girl #Thinking #Ivory

• He tapped one of the ivory spikes between his legs and said, 'There be as good a way to lose your manhood as ever I've seen'.
    -- Christopher Paolini

#Ivory #Legs #Way

• White. Like a clean piece of paper, like uncarved ivory, all is white when the story begins.
    -- Daniel Mason

#Ivory #White #Stories

• I always challenge myself. I get out in deep water and I always try to get back. But I get hung up. The audience never knows, but that's when I smile the most, when I show the most ivory.
    -- Earl Hines

#Ivory #Water #Challenges

• Our dreams are a second life. I have never been able to penetrate without a shudder those ivory or horned gates which separate us from the invisible world.
    -- Gerard De Nerval

#Dream #Ivory #World

• It's hard to get ivory in Africa, but in Alabama the Tuscaloosa
    -- Groucho Marx

#Inspiration #Ivory #Alabama

• Piano playing is more difficult than statesmanship. It is harder to awake emotions in ivory keys than it is in human beings.
    -- Ignacy Jan Paderewski

#Inspirational #Keys #Ivory

• If Mother had to be told not to shove the entire brick of Ivory up Junior's hindquarters, constipation is the least of his problems.
    -- James Lileks

#Mother #Ivory #Juniors

• I took the volume to a table, opened its soft, ivory pages... and fell into it as into a pool during dry season.
    -- Janet Fitch

#Ivory #Dry #Tables

• Horses are creatures who worship the earth as they gallop on feet of ivory. Constrained by the wonder of dying and birth, the horses still run, they are free.
    -- John Denver

#Running #Horse #Ivory

• For me or a Bruce Springsteen to sit up in our ivory towers and make comments about racism, well, were not really in it, are we?
    -- John Mellencamp

#Ivory #Racism #Towers

• The basic material of photographs is not intrinsically beautiful. It's not like ivory or tapestry or bronze or oil on canvas. You're not supposed to look at the thing, you're supposed to look through it. It's a window.
    -- John Szarkowski

#Beautiful #Photography #Ivory

• On turf and curb and bower-roof The snow-storm spreads its ivory woof; It paves with pearl the garden-walk; And lovingly around the tatter'd stalk And snivering stem its magic weaves A mantle fair as lily-leaves.
    -- John Townsend Trowbridge

#Garden #Ivory #Snow

• She was white, perhaps too white. Her eyes, which were almost always cast down, when she raised them testified to the purest of souls, and when she smiled, revealing her small, white teeth, one might be tempted to say that a rose is merely a plant, and ivory just an elephant's tusk.
    -- Jose Rizal

#Eye #Elephants #Ivory

• There is nothing but water in the holy pools. I know, I have been swimming there. All the gods sculpted of wood or ivory can’t say a word. I know, I have been crying out to them. The Sacred Books of the East are nothing but words. I looked through their covers one day sideways. What Kabir talks of is only what he has lived through. If you have not lived through something, it is not true.
    -- Kabir

#Book #Swimming #Ivory

• I judge wisely...as if nothin ever surprise me, Loungin, between two pillars of ivory. I'm lively, my dome piece is like buildin stones in Greece. My poems are deep, from ancient thrones I speak.
    -- Killah Priest

#Rap #Two #Ivory

• I would give a lot to actually be able to glamour China into not wanting ivory. I can't even tell you how much I would give to be able to stop the illicit trade of Africa's wildlife, and to just look into the president of China's eyes and say, "You don't want this anymore, your country doesn't want this anymore," and have it be done. That would be great.
    -- Kristin Bauer van Straten

#Country #Eye #Ivory

• James Ivory comes close to the actors for the first rehearsal. He more or less lets you direct yourself and then will only correct you if he finds it incorrect.
    -- Leslie Caron

#Ivory #Actors #Rehearsal

• None of us ever escape the first few years of our lives. They make a mould into which we are cast, and though it may be broken, and we turned loose, some remnant of it, some intangible evil or lovely thing or both, will remain with us, like the odor to a flower, or the smoothness to a piece of ivory. It is part of the immortality of youth.
    -- Lizette Woodworth Reese

#Flower #Years #Ivory

• Jan built herself an ivory tower to keep the wolves out; she never dreamed they were already inside.
    -- Mira Grant

#Ivory #Ivory Tower #Towers

• Seized ivory stocks around Africa are recycled back into illegal trade due to corruption. Ivory stocks should be burnt together with the hopes of traffickers for any "legal" way to allow them to slaughter our elephants.
    -- Ofir Drori

#Elephants #Ivory #Together

• In the worship of Bacchus, we have sacrificed too freely.... Why not consecrate ourselves to the queen of the Camelias, and revel in the warm stream of sympathy that flows from her altar? In the liquid amber within the ivory-porcelain, the initiated may touch the sweet reticence of Confucius...
    -- Okakura Kakuzo

#Sweet #Queens #Ivory

• The world is changed because you are made of ivory and gold. The curves of your lips rewrite history.
    -- Oscar Wilde

#Fate #Ivory #Curves

• I stalk certain words... I catch them in mid-flight, as they buzz past, I trap them, clean them, peel them, I set myself in front of the dish, they have a crystalline texture to me, vibrant, ivory, vegetable, oily, like fruit, like algae, like agates, like olives... I stir them, I shake them, I drink them, I gulp them down, I mash them, I garnish them... I leave them in my poem like stalactites, like slivers of polished wood, like coals, like pickings from a shipwreck, gifts from the waves... Everything exists in the word.
    -- Pablo Neruda

#Past #Vegetables #Ivory

• On the whole, the modern palette is the same as the one used by the artists of Pompeii... I mean it has not been enriched. The ancients used earths, ochres, and ivory-black - you can do anything with that palette.
    -- Pierre-Auguste Renoir

#Mean #Artist #Ivory

• Standing to America, bringing home black gold, black ivory, black seed.
    -- Robert Hayden

#Home #Ivory #America

• My price is five dollars for a miniature on ivory, and I have engaged three or four at that price. My price for profiles is one dollar, and everybody is willing to engage me at that price
    -- Samuel Morse

#Ivory #Four #Dollars

• Beauty is an evil in an ivory setting.
    -- Theocritus

#Beauty #Ivory #Evil

• Elephants are living treasures. Nature's gardeners. Nature's great teachers. Tragically some people don't give a damn. They prefer the dead treasure to the living one. The ivory. We must challenge this so-called 'trade' with all our might and shame on those who would condone it.
    -- Virginia McKenna

#Teacher #Elephants #Ivory

• We have fallen in the dreams the ever-living Breathe on the tarnished mirror of the world, And then smooth out with ivory hands and sigh.
    -- William Butler Yeats

#Dream #Hands #Ivory

• Somewhere lives a bad Cajun cook, just as somewhere must live one last ivory-billed woodpecker. For me, I don't expect ever to encounter either one.
    -- William Least Heat-Moon

#Ivory #Cooking #Cajuns

• Please don't let the illegal ivory trade orphan even more baby elephants.
    -- Yao Ming

#Baby #Elephants #Ivory

• If we buy ivory it makes all of us killers as well,
    -- Yao Ming

#Ivory #Killers #Wells

• I wish I could sit back and say, 'Oh, I'm gonna wait for a Merchant-Ivory film to come my way. Or Ivory-Merchant. Whatever it's called. But you just take what's given and then, hopefully, down the road you can be more choosy and only do, say, Wayans brothers movies. That's my goal: to be more Merchant-Ivory-Wayans.
    -- Zach Galifianakis

#Brother #Ivory #Goal

• In my view, nobody is really effective in tackling those organized crime networks that are making connections from Africa to Asia to fund and facilitate the poaching of massive volumes of ivory, and then selling it on the Asian market. Very few people have tried globally to tackle that serious organized crime threat that is also linked to militia groups. That needs to change. You need to bring the full weight of government attention to dealing with that.
    -- Allen Crawford

#Government #Views #Ivory

• There's a good deal of ivory being sold that claims to be antique ivory. In fact, we've seen evidence that there are fake antiques being carved in countries like China.
    -- Allen Crawford

#Country #Ivory #Fake

• Liberace was certainly master and commander of the ivories ~ he is the only pianist I can watch or listen to without suffering a case of 'Stagefright Sympathy Sickness'.
    -- E. A. Bucchianeri

#Ivory #Suffering #Watches

• It may surprise people to learn that one elephant is killed every 15 minutes for its ivory.
    -- Li Bingbing

#Elephants #Ivory #People

• In the West, we got the message that it's not cool to wear ivory. It's not cool to utilize products from these wonderful species. They are not commodities. We need the whole world to join hands in getting this message now, particularly countries in Asia and certain communities that have not been educated about this. They have not had the campaigns that we had.
    -- Patrick Bergin

#Country #Hands #Ivory

• Lisa Lampanelli lost 100 pounds, but that's because she was poached for ivory.
    -- Reno Collier

#Ivory #Pounds #Lost

• A piano is a machine, but you've got ivory and there's weight behind the keys and you have this really - you feel the resonance in the instrument, you feel the vibration in the pedal. I mean, these a still very crude.
    -- Tod Machover

#Mean #Keys #Ivory

• People need to make a stand and be clear that trading in ivory is immoral and unacceptable.
    -- Yaya Toure

#Ivory #People #Needs

• I see top business schools working to bridge this gap [between academic research and business application] by respecting executive education, by having more mature students who proactively draw from faculty what they know they need, and by having faculty who are willing to leave their ivory towers for the murky world of business reality. Unfortunately, at other times, business professors have little or not interest or savvy about business issues.
    -- Dave Ulrich

#School #Reality #Ivory

• More birds have adapted to a changing world than have failed. Very few have the narrow tolerance of the ivory-billed woodpecker or the Bachman's warbler.
    -- Roger Tory Peterson

#Ivory #Bird #Tolerance