Damage quotes

• Congressmen who willfully take action during wartime that damages morale and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled, or hung
    -- Abraham Lincoln

#Military #Saboteurs #Damage

• History has proven that the PLO and its sectors suffered great damage when walking the way of harming Zionist interests in other countries around the world.
    -- Ahmed Yassin

#Country #Damage #World

• Pain or damage don't end the world...
    -- Al Swearengen

#Pain #Damage #World

• Asymmetrical warfare is a euphemism for terrorism, just like collateral damage is a euphemism for killing innocent civilians.
    -- Alan Dershowitz

#Warfare #Damage #Terrorism

• No amount of advertising can repair the damage done by failing to properly address a customer's concern.
    -- Albert Houtum-Schindler

#Educational #Addresses #Damage

• Be quiet or I'll be forced to flick you." "Ooh," he mocked. "The ultimate threat. I don't think I've ever been flicked before." "Are you suggesting I can't hurt you?" "On the contrary, I think you have the power to do great damage.
    -- Alexandra Adornetto

#Hurt #Thinking #Damage

• I had assumed that the Earth, the spirit of the Earth, noticed exceptions-those who wantonly damage it and those who do not. But the Earth is wise. It has given itself into the keeping of all, and all are therefore accountable.
    -- Alice Walker

#Wise #Earth Day #Damage

• Flooding damage is not customary for New York, especially downstate.
    -- Andrew Cuomo

#New York #Damage

• ...climate change is accelerating. It threatens our well being, our security, and our economic development. It will lead to uncontrollable risks and dramatic damage if we do not take resolute countermeasures.
    -- Angela Merkel

#Risk #Development #Damage

• I used to love to untangle chains when I was a child. I had thin, busy fingers, and I never gave up. Perhaps there was a psychiatric component to my concentration but like much of my psychic damage, this worked to everyone's advantage.
    -- Anne Lamott

#Children #Psychics #Damage

• If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong.
    -- Arthur Bloch

#Adversity #Damage #Causes

• So here we have it. The equivocating distinction between civilisation and savagery, between the "massacre of innocent people" or, if you like, "a clash of civilisations" and "collateral damage". The sophistry and fastidious algebra of infinite justice.
    -- Arundhati Roy

#People #Justice #Damage

• Ageing is, simply and clearly, the accumulation of damage in the body. That's all that ageing is.
    -- Aubrey de Grey

#Body #Damage #Accumulation

• A vast technology has been developed to prevent, reduce, or terminate exhausting labor and physical damage. It is now dedicated to the production of the most trivial conveniences and comfort.
    -- B. F. Skinner

#Technology #Comfort #Damage

• Nothing can work me damage except myself.
    -- Bernard of Clairvaux

#Inspirational #Damage

• All Children Have Brain Damage!
    -- Bill Cosby

#Children #Brain #Damage

• Those watercolourists who work from light to dark know that the darks do the damage.
    -- Bill Luff

#Dark #Light #Damage

• I would say the damage here is much more [than the tsunami], the magnitude of the calamity here is much more
    -- Bill Vaughan

#Damage #Calamity #Magnitude

• Perfect clarity would profit the intellect but damage the will.
    -- Blaise Pascal

#Math #Perfect #Damage

• The 2011 riots in England, which left five dead and caused more than $300 million in property damage, were fueled by a generation of young Brits who grew up without ever hearing the word No.
    -- Bob Barr

#Generations #Hearing #Damage

• It's easier to fix damage than it is to create it.
    -- Brian Lamb

#Damage #Easier

• If we're damaged it will take 20 years to fix ourselves. It only takes one year to cause 20 years of damage.
    -- Brian Schmidt

#Years #Damage #Causes

• Despite fearful rhetoric to the contrary, terrorism is not a transcendent threat. A terrorist attack cannot possibly destroy our country's way of life; it's only our reaction to that attack that can do that kind of damage.
    -- Bruce Schneier

#Country #Way #Damage

• The damage done to U.S. prestige by the feckless, buffoonish George W. Bush will take years to repair.
    -- Camille Paglia

#Years #Damage #Feckless

• There are thousands of ways to mess up or damage a software projects, and only a few ways to do them well
    -- Capers Jones

#Way #Damage #Projects

• Even top caliber hospitals cannot escape medical mistakes that sometimes result in irreparable damage to patients
    -- Carl Levin

#Mistake #Damage #Medical

• I love the show 'Damages!' I am truly addicted.
    -- Carrie Ann Inaba

#Damage #Shows

• I'm not allowed to be as liberal as I would like to be, you know? I'd do a lot more damage if I could!
    -- Cee Lo Green

#Damage

• A lot of my friends are gangsters. Not like gangsters - well, yeah, all sorts of levels of criminality - but not the types that are preying on innocent people. I have no interest in the type of criminality that has no respect for collateral damage.
    -- Charlie Hunnam

#People #Levels #Damage

• Ronald Reagan was a dim hack who did horrible damage to almost everything he touched.
    -- Charlie Pierce

#Damage #Horrible

• Our mechanics are engineered so that we can survive quite a lot, but I think our need to be loved is so great that it’s the thing that damages us the most.
    -- Charlize Theron

#Thinking #Needs #Damage

• If a woman is really injured by her marriage, she should sue under the employer liability act. She should claim damages--not alimony.
    -- Charlotte Perkins Gilman

#Damage #Claims #Should

• To assess the damage is a dangerous act.
    -- Cherrie Moraga

#Damage #Dangerous

• Now it seems like people want to do damage to young celebrities. They want to find them doing bad things. They encourage them.
    -- Danny Bonaduce

#People #Want #Damage

• Do you know how much damage we could do to each other in an hour?
    -- David Bischoff

#Damage #Hours

• I don’t want you to think I got through this undamaged, okay? But I’m learning to live with it. Because otherwise, the damage is all you are.
    -- David Levithan

#Thinking #Want #Damage

• When we feel unsafe with someone and still stay with him, we damage our ability to discern trustworthiness in those we will meet in the future.
    -- David Richo

#Damage #Trustworthiness #Ability

• Conventional economics is a form of brain damage.
    -- David Suzuki

#Brain #Damage #Economics

• The calcium theory has probably done more to damage our health than any single theory in the history of humanity.
    -- David Wolfe

#Humanity #Done #Damage

• Rock is fine. No structural damage to rock. Rock can break through paper at any point. Just say the word. Paper sucks.
    -- Demetri Martin

#Rocks #Paper #Damage

• Whatever the Left touches-- the arts; the economy; health care; the soul; religion-- it destroys or damages
    -- Dennis Prager

#Art #Soul #Damage

• My great project is to undo the moral and intellectual damage of most universities
    -- Dennis Prager

#Intellectual #Damage #Moral

• hatred, however apparently justifiable, excusable or inevitable, always damages the hater.
    -- Dervla Murphy

#Hate #Hatred #Damage

• The spine as a whole operates as a functional unit. Each vertabra can affect its neighbor and one portion of the spine may affect or damage other areas of the body.
    -- Don Davis

#Body #May #Damage

• Although cyber attacks have caused billions of dollars in damage and affected the lives of millions, few if any can be characterised as acts of terrorism.
    -- Dorothy E. Denning

#Dollars #Damage #Terrorism

• Programming in Basic causes brain damage.
    -- Edsger Dijkstra

#Brain #Damage #Causes

• Secrecy in science does not work. Withholding information does more damage to us than to our competitors.
    -- Edward Teller

#Doe #Information #Damage

• Hurricane Katrina, coupled with Hurricane Rita, which came promptly on Katrina's heels, claimed more than 1,200 American lives. Together, they caused more than $200 billion in damage.
    -- Ellen Tauscher

#Together #Damage #Hurricanes

• hate isn't healthy, it damages the hater more than the one who's hated!
    -- Eric Jerome Dickey

#Hate #Healthy #Damage

• Islamic law is clearly against terrorism, against any kind of deliberate killing of civilians or similar 'collateral damage.'
    -- Feisal Abdul Rauf

#Islamic #Law #Damage

• I think the movie business and film crews are a little bit like the circus, in that we travel around like a pack and we're a big family for a finite period of time. We roll into someplace, cause a bunch of damage, and then roll out.
    -- Francis Lawrence

#Thinking #Damage #Causes

• I don't have to be nice to people who are causing great damage to the nation...
    -- Frank Bainimarama

#Nice #People #Damage

• We're going to have to do a whole lot more, and give nature at least a chance to repair some of the damage we've done.
    -- Gaylord Nelson

#Giving #Done #Damage

• Everyone is perfectly willing to learn from unpleasant experience - if only the damage of the first lesson could be repaired.
    -- Georg C. Lichtenberg

#Lessons #Damage #Firsts

• Sometimes a little brain damage can help.
    -- George Carlin

#Brain #Littles #Damage

• I understand the damage the expenses crisis has done to Parliament, and the paramount importance of restoring trust in our politics.
    -- George Osborne

#Done #Damage #Parliament

• Obama seems to want to do something to damage rich people.
    -- George P. Shultz

#People #Want #Damage

• Obama wants to take the individual small business tax to 44 percent, and the corporate rate - he says - down to 28 percent or whatever. But that really damages the small businesses. And it doesn't make us competitive. You got to take them both down to 20, because state and local corporate taxes are 5 percent.
    -- Grover Norquist

#Damage #Want #Small Business

• I believe that religion, generally speaking, has been a curse to mankind - that its modest and greatly overestimated services on the ethical side have been more than overcome by the damage it has done to clear and honest thinking.
    -- H. L. Mencken

#Believe #Thinking #Damage

• All that happens is that the destruction of human beings - unless they're Americans - is called collateral damage.
    -- Harold Pinter

#Damage #Destruction #Collateral

• A thick head can do as much damage as a hard heart.
    -- Harold W. Dodds

#Heart #Damage

• A horsefly can't do a horse much real damage, but it can drive it wild anyhow.
    -- Harry Turtledove

#Horse #Real #Damage

• But I didn't understand then. That I could hurt somebody so badly she would never recover. That a person can, just by living, damage another human being beyond repair.
    -- Haruki Murakami

#Hurt #Damage #Humans

• The problem is, of course, that not only is economics bankrupt but it has always been nothing more than politics in disguise ... economics is a form of brain damage.
    -- Hazel Henderson

#Brain #Damage #Problem

• Economics is a form of brain damage,
    -- Hazel Henderson

#Brain #Damage #Economics

• Climate change is a fact. Its consequences, damages and costs are already being felt around the globe.
    -- Heinz Fischer

#Climate #Cost #Damage

• What individual can so well assess the amount of damages which a plaintiff ought to recover for an injury he has received than an intelligent jury?
    -- Henry Brougham, 1st Baron Brougham and Vaux

#Intelligent #Law #Damage

• ...Fan fiction is a way of the culture repairing the damage done in a system where contemporary myths are owned by corporations instead of owned by the folk.
    -- Henry Jenkins

#Corporations #Way #Damage

• All too often, government's response to social breakdown has been a classic case of 'patching' - a case of handing money out, containing problems and limiting the damage but, in doing so, supporting - even reinforcing - dysfunctional behaviour.
    -- Iain Duncan Smith

#Government #Damage #Behaviour

• The only time Republicans will shake fists and point fingers is over a war delayed, one that isn't led by the US, or a war waged without the necessary conviction (read collateral damage).
    -- Ilana Mercer

#War #Fists #Damage

• You may not like my burglar, but please don't damage him.
    -- J. R. R. Tolkien

#May #Damage #Please

• One simply cannot engage in barbarous action without becoming a barbarian ... one cannot defend human values by calculated and unprovoked violence without doing mortal damage to the values one is trying to defend.
    -- J. William Fulbright

#Trying #Barbarians #Damage

• Mankind has probably done more damage to the Earth in the 20th century than in all of previous human history.
    -- Jacques Yves Cousteau

#Damage #Done #Earth

• I’ve never trusted anyone all the time. It’s the people I care about the most that always seem to do the most damage.
    -- Jay Crownover

#People #Care #Damage

• I am immensely contrite. And I'm sorry for the damage I've done.
    -- Jayson Blair

#Sorry #Done #Damage

• In the U.S. alone, weather disasters caused $50 billion in economic damages in 2010.
    -- Jeff Goodell

#Weather #Damage #Economic

• The Bible declares that on the sixth day God created man. Right then and there, God should have demanded a damage deposit.
    -- Jim Hightower

#God #Men #Damage

• Over a wide field of our economy it is still the better course to rely on the nineteenth century's "hidden hand" than to thrust clumsy bureaucratic fingers into its sensitive mechanism. In particular, we cannot afford to damage its mainspring, freedom of competitive enterprise.
    -- John James Cowperthwaite

#Hands #Fields #Damage

• How much damage will have been done before we act?
    -- John McCain

#Done #Damage #Global Warming

• The redwood is one of the few conifers that sprout from the stump and roots, and it declares itself willing to begin immediately to repair the damage of the lumberman and also that of the forest-burner.
    -- John Muir

#Roots #Damage #Forests

• Drinking spirits cannot cause spiritual damage.
    -- Jose Bergamin

#Spiritual #Drinking #Damage

• The harm done to Israel is damage done to the West. And delegitimizing Israel is a delegitimization of the West.
    -- Jose Maria Aznar

#Israel #Done #Damage

• It's interesting to me that killing damages the image of God when it's done by a person, but it doesn't damage it when it's done by the state.
    -- Joseph Lowery

#Interesting #Damage #Done

• It's not ignorance does so much damage; it's knowin' so derned much that ain't so.
    -- Josh Billings

#Ignorance #Doe #Damage

• In those days, we imagined ourselves as being kept in some kind of holding pen, waiting to be released into our lives. And when the moment came, our lives -- and time itself -- would speed up. How were we to know that our lives had in any case begun, that some advantage had already been gained, some damage already inflicted? Also, that our release would only be into a larger holding pen, whose boundaries would be at first undiscernible.
    -- Julian Barnes

#Waiting #Damage #Firsts

• While sexism hurts women most intimately, it also damages men severely.
    -- Kathleen Hanna

#Hurt #Men #Damage

• It took me far too long to realize that lost years and relationships cannot be recovered. That damage done to oneself and others cannot always be put right again.
    -- Kay Redfield Jamison

#Years #Long #Damage

• Exercise can't counteract the damage being done to your body while you continue to smoke. What exercise can do is help you kick the habit.
    -- Kenneth H. Cooper

#Exercise #Smoking #Damage

• Every breath we take as human beings damages the planet.
    -- Kevin McCloud

#Damage #Planets #Humans

• No company that I ever hacked into reported any damages, which they were required to do for significant losses. Sun didn't stop using Solaris and DEC didn't stop using VMS.
    -- Kevin Mitnick

#Loss #Damage #Sun

• I believe in having each device secured and monitoring each device, rather than just monitoring holistically on the network, and then responding in short enough time for damage control.
    -- Kevin Mitnick

#Believe #Damage #Enough Time

• Rachel knew what she was doing. And when she didn't, she could improvise on the fly, coming up with options that left a lot of collateral damage but usually only hurt herself, not the people around her. It was one of the things he would never admit that he admired about her.
    -- Kim Harrison

#Hurt #People #Damage

• Why didn't children ever see that they could damage and harm their parents as much as parents could damage and harm children?
    -- Laura Z. Hobson

#Children #Parent #Damage

• I never did think I had brain damage.
    -- Leon Spinks

#Thinking #Brain #Damage

• Just as food eaten without appetite is a tedious nourishment, so does study without zeal damage the memory by not assimilating what it absorbs.
    -- Leonardo da Vinci

#Memories #Intelligent #Damage

• I couldn't stand being identified by my sexuality, I retaliated by insisting that people regard me for my intellectual worth. My intellect became a form of damage control.
    -- Leora Tanenbaum

#People #Intellectual #Damage

• We should have done more damage to the Iraqi forces before they withdrew from the Kuwaiti theater.
    -- Les Aspin

#Done #Damage #Should

• We should hold abusers — and no one else — responsible for the damage they inflict.
    -- Leslie Morgan Steiner

#Damage #Responsible #Should

• I thought at the time that I couldn't be horrified anymore, or wounded. I suppose that's a common conceit, that you've already been so damaged that damage itself, in its totality, makes you safe.
    -- Lionel Shriver

#Safe #Damage #Common

• He never knew what hit him, and that would have comforted me, except . . . just for one second, he would have had to know, wouldn't he? There must have been a blur, a sense of the world exploding, a flashpoint of receiving more damage than a human body could endure.
    -- Lisa Kleypas

#Damage #Receiving #World