Sheep quotes

• But [Pooh] couldn't sleep. The more he tried to sleep the more he couldn't. He tried counting Sheep, which is sometimes a good way of getting to sleep, and, as that was no good, he tried counting Heffalumps. And that was worse. Because every Heffalump that he counted was making straight for a pot of Pooh's honey, and eating it all. For some minutes he lay there miserably, but when the five hundred and eighty-seventh Heffalump was licking its jaws, and saying to itself, "Very good honey this, I don't know when I've tasted better," Pooh could bear it no longer.
    -- A. A. Milne

#Sleep #Insomnia #Sheep

• We will not be led like sheep to the slaughter.
    -- Abba Kovner

#Sheep #Holocaust #Slaughter

• The shepherd drives the wolf from the sheep's for which the sheep thanks the shepherd as his liberator, while the wolf denounces him for the same act as the destroyer of liberty. Plainly, the sheep and the wolf are not agreed upon a definition of liberty.
    -- Abraham Lincoln

#Sheep #Civil War #Liberty

• Today the Western powers and media want to domesticate us like sheep, to keep us tame and domesticated.
    -- Abu Bakar Bashir

#Sheep #Media #Gdp

• Too bad your inner sheep never forgets to follow...
    -- Aesop Rock

#Rap #Sheep #Hip Hop

• A man when he is making up to anybody can be cordial and gallant and full of little attentions and altogether charming. But when a man is really in love he can't help looking like a sheep.
    -- Agatha Christie

#Men #Sheep #Attention

• Jesus Christ, Lord of all things! You see my heart, you know my desires. Possess all that I am - you alone. I am your sheep; make me worthy to overcome the devil.
    -- Agatha of Sicily

#Jesus #Heart #Sheep

• The brotherhood of men does not imply their equality. Families have their fools and their men of genius, their black sheep and their saints, their worldly successes and their worldly failures. A man should treat his brothers lovingly and with justice, according to the deserts of each. But the deserts of every brother are not the same.
    -- Aldous Huxley

#Brother #Men #Sheep

• Don't keep forever on the public road, going only where others have gone and following one after the other like a flock of sheep. Leave the beaten track occasionally and dive into the woods.
    -- Alexander Graham Bell

#Life #Sheep #Track

• Our countrymen have all the folly of the ***** and all the passiveness of the sheep.
    -- Alexander Hamilton

#Sheep #Revolution #Ass

• Modern Western thought will pass into history and be incorporated in it, will have its influence and its place, just as our body will pass into the composition of grass, of sheep, of cutlets, and of men.
    -- Alexander Herzen

#Men #Sheep #Body

• Ah! what avails it me the flocks to keep, Who lost my heart while I preserv'd my sheep.
    -- Alexander Pope

#Life #Heart #Sheep

• If a man's got talent and guts to buck society, he's obviously above average. You want to hold on to him. You straighten him out and turn him into a plus value. Why throw him away? Do that enough and all you've got left are the sheep.
    -- Alfred Bester

#Men #Sheep #Average

• She walks--the lady of my delight-- A sheperdess of sheep. Her flocks are thoughts. She keeps them white; She guards them from the steep. She feeds them on the fragrant height, And folds them in for sleep.
    -- Alice Meynell

#Sleep #Sheep #White

• Within three months I had gone from being this black sheep of the town to suddenly becoming a pop star.
    -- Alison Moyet

#Stars #Sheep #Black

• You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once.
    -- Amarillo Slim

#Sheep #Skins #Hundred

• I was the black sheep of the family, and my mother never really understood me.
    -- Andre Rieu

#Mother #Sheep #Black

• That means I can drive a flock of sheep through the town centre, drink for free in no less than 64 pubs and get a lift home with the police when I become inebriated. What more could you want?
    -- Andrew Flintoff

#Home #Mean #Sheep

• Even if sheep could talk, they'd never ask questions.
    -- Andrew Vachss

#Sheep

• I'm a little bit more unusual so I consider myself as the black sheep.
    -- Ann Wilson

#Sheep #Black #Littles

• We are a species that needs and wants to understand who we are. Sheep lice do not seem to share this longing, which is one reason why they write so little.
    -- Anne Lamott

#Writing #Sheep #Needs

• The very first thing I tell my new students on the first day of a workshop is that good writing is about telling the truth. We are a species that needs and wants to understand who we are. Sheep lice do not seem to share this longing, which is one reason they write so very little. But we do. We have so much we want to say and figure out.
    -- Anne Lamott

#Writing #Sheep #Needs

• If Someone wants a sheep, then that means that he exists.
    -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

#Mean #Sheep #Want

• Si quelqu'un veut un mouton, c'est la preuve qu'il en existe un. (If somebody wants a sheep, that is a proof that one exists.)

#Sheep #Want #Proof

• If some one loves a flower of which just one example exists among all the millions and millions of stars, that's enough to make him happy when he looks at the stars. He tells himself, "My flower's up there somewhere. . . ." But if the sheep eats the flower, then for him it's as if, suddenly, all the stars went out. And that isn't important?

#Stars #Flower #Sheep

• if a sheep eats bushes does it eat flowers too? a sheep eats whatever it finds even a flower with thorn? even a flower with thorns. then what's the good of thorns?

#Flower #Sheep #Doe

• The proof that the little prince existed is that he was charming, that he laughed, and that he was looking for a sheep. If anybody wants a sheep, that is a proof that he exists.

#Sheep #Want #Littles

• Look at the sky. Ask yourselves: Has the sheep eaten the flower, yes or no? And you will see how everything changes...

#Flower #Sheep #Sky

• Blessed are the destroyers of false hope, for they are the true Messiahs - Cursed are the god-adorers, for they shall be shorn sheep!
    -- Anton Szandor LaVey

#Blessed #Sheep #False Hope

• It is better to swallow a sheep or a goat than swallow what he has been swallowing.
    -- Arjuna Ranatunga

#Sheep #Swallowing #Goats

• It is a fool's sheep that breaks loose twice.
    -- Ashanti

#Sheep #Fool #Break

• If Painting be Poetry's sister, she can only be a sister Anne, who will see nothing but a flock of sheep, while the other bodies forth a troop of dragoons with drawn sabres and white-plumed helmets.
    -- Augustus William Hare

#Sheep #White #Poetry

• I love my blocks of marble, always piling up in the yard like a flock of sheep.
    -- Barbara Hepworth

#Block #Sheep #Yards

• New Zealand is a country of thirty thousand million sheep, three million of whom think they are human.
    -- Barry Humphries

#Country #Thinking #Sheep

• What do you get when you cross a herd of sheep with a herd of lemmings? A herd of venture capitalists.
    -- Ben Horowitz

#Sheep #Lemmings #Venture

• Make yourself sheep and the wolves will eat you.
    -- Benjamin Franklin

#Fear #Sheep

• Sooner or later, a society of sheep must create a government of wolves.
    -- Bertrand de Jouvenel

#Sheep #Government #Sooner Or Later

• Gradually, by selective breeding, the congenital differences between rulers and ruled will increase until they become almost different species. A revolt of the plebs would become as unthinkable as an organized insurrection of sheep against the practice of eating mutton.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#Sheep #Practice #Differences

• The sheep-people don't think for themselves anymore. You can say anything and it's the gospel truth and they don't have to go research it or anything, and they believe everything the news tells them. People don't go and do their own investigations if it's relationships or politics or anything.
    -- Big Boi

#Believe #Thinking #Sheep

• We need more people speaking out. This country is not overrun with rebels and free thinkers. It's overrun with sheep and conformists.
    -- Bill Maher

#Country #Sheep #People

• Men were just like sheep, and nothing was easier than for women to set up as shepherds and pen them up in a field.
    -- Booth Tarkington

#Men #Sheep #Shepherds

• People, like large groups of people are stupid. Individuals are smart and can deal with things and can make things last and work, but when people get together in big crowds they're stupid. They turn into sheep, then you have major situations.
    -- Brandon Boyd

#Smart #Stupid #Sheep

• Our cat is kind dove shellfish, and thinks the world is hers, She finds a comfy spot and then we pet turtle sheep purrs.
    -- Brian P. Cleary

#Cat #Thinking #Sheep

• My first job was cleaning sheep pens.
    -- Brian Sandoval

#Jobs #Sheep #Firsts

• To argue that we humans are capable of complex multifarious thought and feeling, whereas the sheep's perception is probably limited by lowly sheepish perceptions, is no more to the point than if I were to slaughter and eat you on the grounds that I am a sophisticated personality able to enjoy Mozart, formal logic and cannibalism, whereas your imaginative world seems confined to True Romances and tinned spaghetti.
    -- Brigid Brophy

#Animal #Sheep #Personality

• You ask ‘for what’ God wants you. Isn’t the primary answer that He wants you. We’re not told that the lost sheep was sought out for anything except itself [Matthew 18:12-14; Luke 15:3-7]. Of course, He may have a special job for you: and the certain job is that of becoming more and more His.
    -- C. S. Lewis

#Jobs #Sheep #Special

• The race of man, while sheep in credulity, are wolves for conformity.
    -- Carl Clinton Van Doren

#Men #Sheep #Race

• It is the retention by twentieth-century, Atom-Age men of the Neolithic point of view that says: You stay in your village and I will stay in mine. If your sheep eat our grass we will kill you, or we may kill you anyhow to get all the grass for our own sheep. Anyone who tries to make us change our ways is a witch and we will kill him. Keep out of our village.
    -- Carleton S. Coon

#Men #Sheep #Views

• A time will come when instead of shepherds feeding the sheep, the church will have clowns entertaining the goats
    -- Charles Spurgeon

#Sheep #Church #Shepherds

• Some Christians try to go to heaven alone, in solitude; but believers are not compared to bears, or lions, or other animals that wander alone; but those who belong to Christ are sheep in this respect, that they love to get together. Sheep go in flocks, and so do God’s people.
    -- Charles Spurgeon

#Christian #Animal #Sheep

• If a wolf attacks his sheep, the shepard kills the wolf, but he eats the sheep when he's hungry.
    -- Charlie Higson

#Sheep #Hungry

• People have always had this craving to have someone tell them the future. Long ago, kings would hire people to read sheep guts. There's always been a market for people who pretend to know the future. Listening to today's forecasters is just as crazy as when the king hired the guy to look at the sheep guts.
    -- Charlie Munger

#Kings #Crazy #Sheep

• Are there any good guys on 'Prison Break?' I suppose there might be. I can't honestly say whether I'm a good guy or a bad guy or I'm a good guy in wolf's clothing or sheep's clothing.
    -- Chris Vance

#Sheep #Guy #Might

• Shepherds don't look after sheep because they love them - although I do think some shepherds like their sheep too much. They look after their sheep so they can, first, fleece them and second, turn them into meat. That's much more like the priesthood as I know it.
    -- Christopher Hitchens

#Thinking #Sheep #Too Much

• May the IRS find that you deduct your pet sheep as an entertainment expense.
    -- Christopher Moore

#Sheep #Pet #May

• God is not a celestial prison warden jangling the keys on a bunch of lifers--he's a shepherd seeking for sheep, a woman searching for coins, a father waiting for his son.
    -- Clarence Jordan

#Father #Son #Sheep

• Do not cringe and make yourself small if you are called the black sheep, the maverick, the lone wolf. Those with slow seeing say that a noncomformist is a blight on society. But it has been proven over the centuries, that being different means standing at the edge, that one is practically guaranteed to make an original contribution, a useful and stunning contribution to her culture.
    -- Clarissa Pinkola Estes

#Mean #Healing #Sheep

• There is nothing quite so terrifying as a mad sheep.
    -- Claud Cockburn

#Sheep #Mad

• I think a stalwart peasant in sheep-skin coat, born on the soil, whose forefathers have been farmers for ten generations, with a stout wife and a half dozen children, is good quality
    -- Clifford Sifton

#Children #Thinking #Sheep

• Ladies and gentlemen of the jury. It's not like the sheep was underage.
    -- Colin Mochrie

#Sheep #Gentleman #Jury

• He was in awe of the thirst that people had for someone to tell them that everything was going to be all right. He marveled at the gullibility and vulnerability of his fellow humans. No wonder the churches called them sheep. They were woolly-headed pack animals being herded around for the benefit of whoever knew how to control the dogs.
    -- Craig Ferguson

#Dog #Animal #Sheep

• They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but us sheep know, true beauty is not in the eye: it lives in the mind.
    -- Craig Stone

#Eye #Sheep #Mind

• Ask questions then talk over answers, shout loudly you love everyone, try and hug people, confide in them that you are a sheep, offer them the last grass in your pockets. Then watch with a smile as they pretend you aren't there, and whisper you must be crazy, because you want to make friends.
    -- Craig Stone

#Crazy #Sheep #People

• But for me, from my point of view, I don't mind if it falls over... if you break the glass you replace the glass, if the sheep falls out you can always get a new sheep.
    -- Damien Hirst

#Fall #Glasses #Sheep

• It is better to have a lion at the head of an army of sheep, than a sheep at the head of an army of lions.
    -- Daniel Defoe

#Leadership #Army #Sheep

• We laugh at sheep because sheep just follow the one in front. We humans have out-sheeped the sheep, because at least the sheep need a sheep dog to keep them in line. Humans keep each other in line. And they do it by ridiculing or condemning anyone who commits the crime, and that’s what it’s become, of being different.
    -- David Icke

#Dog #Sheep #Laughing

• Being attacked by him is like being savaged by a dead sheep.
    -- Denis Healey

#Sarcastic #Sheep

• When I was young, I asked my priest how to get to heaven and still protect yourself from all the evil in the world. He told me what God told His children;'You are sheep among wolves, be wise as the serpent, yet innocent as doves.
    -- Dennis Lehane

#Wise #Children #Sheep

• To protect the sheep, you gotta catch the wolf. And it takes a wolf to catch a wolf, you understand?
    -- Denzel Washington

#Sheep #Protect

• The overseer wouldna speak to me of Ian, but he told me other things that would curl your hair, if it wasna already curled up like sheep's wool." He glanced at me, and a half-smile lit his face, inspite of his obvious perturbation. "Judging by the state of your hair, Sassenach, I should say that it's going to rain verra soon now.
    -- Diana Gabaldon

#Rain #Sheep #Hair

• One cannot blame an organization that picks up an occasional black sheep, one only takes exception if it retains an accumulation of them.
    -- Dion Fortune

#Sheep #Organization #Black

• From the window, above the clatter of pots and the slamming of cabinets, Francis was singing, as though it was the happiest song in the world: 'We are the little black sheep who have gone astray . . . Baa baa baa . . . Gentlemen songsters off on a spree . . . Doomed from here to eternity . . .
    -- Donna Tartt

#Song #Sheep #Singing

• I never heard of anybody who admired the character of sheep. Even the gentlest human personalities in contact with them are annoyed by their lack of brains, courage and initiative, by their extraordinary ability to get themselves into uncomfortable or dangerous situations and then wait in inert helplessness for someone to rescue them.
    -- Dorothy Canfield Fisher

#Character #Sheep #Personality

• Oh, well. Everyone else has suave, cosmopolitan sheep: why not us? The Millers at Hepple have a ewe that’s been to Kelso three times, and they’ve never been farther than Ford in their lives.” Kate peered absently into the farm pond, and clucked again. “Thoughtless creatures. They’ve forgotten the fish.
    -- Dorothy Dunnett

#Sheep #Three #Ponds

• And the English army, wheeling, started south at a gallop over the hill pass into Ettrick, followed by twenty men and eight hundred sheep in steel helmets.
    -- Dorothy Dunnett

#Army #Men #Sheep

• He was about as useful in a crisis as a sheep.
    -- Dorothy Eden

#Sarcastic #Sheep #Crisis

• Wales! Where the men are men and the sheep are scared!
    -- Dougie Poynter

#Men #Sheep #Scared

• I'm a shepherd, not a sheep, and I've always prided myself on being a leader and not a follower.
    -- Dustin Diamond

#Sheep #Leader #Shepherds

• Somehow I think it was declared very early on that I was the - if not the black sheep of the family, not a very good student.
    -- Dustin Hoffman

#Thinking #Sheep #Black

• The ones as big as sheep were easier to avoid, because you could see them coming, but when they flew in at the window and curled up under your eiderdown, and you did not find them till you went to bed, it was always a shock. The ones this size did not eat people, only lettuces, but they always scorched the sheets and pillowcases dreadfully.
    -- E. Nesbit

#Sheep #Dragons #People

• There is something in the red of a raspberry pie that looks as good to a man as the red in a sheep looks to a wolf.
    -- E. W. Howe

#Men #Sheep #Pie

• Everyone's like sheep on social media; like, one person starts making noise, and everyone's like, 'Hey, yeah!' and then you got a whole bunch of people making noise at you.
    -- Earl Sweatshirt

#Sheep #Media #People

• The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers..
    -- Edgar Fiedler

#Business #Independent #Sheep

• The goat's business is none of the sheep's concern.
    -- Edna Ferber

#Sheep #Goats #Busybodies

• I have been called a curmudgeon, which my obsolescent dictionary defines as a 'surly, ill-mannered, bad-tempered fellow'. Nowadays, curmudgeon is likely to refer to anyone who hates hypocrisy, cant, sham, dogmatic ideologies, and has the nerve to point out unpleasant facts and takes the trouble to impale these sins on the skewer of humor and roast them over the fires of fact, common sense, and native intelligence. In this nation of bleating sheep and braying jackasses, it then becomes an honor to be labeled curmudgeon.
    -- Edward Abbey

#Hate #Fire #Sheep

• Taxation: how the sheep are shorn.
    -- Edward Abbey

#Sheep #Taxation #Taxes

• A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
    -- Edward R. Murrow

#Sheep #Government #Political

• Power, after all, is not just military strength. It is the social power that comes from democracy, the cultural power that comes from freedom of expression and research, the personal power that entitles every Arab citizen to feel that he or she is in fact a citizen, and not just a sheep in some great shepherd's flock.
    -- Edward Said

#Freedom #Military #Sheep

• Even if a tamed wolf makes a good sheepdog, he will never understand how the sheep feel....You are most fortunate. For having been, as you thought, a coward, and helpless to fight - you know what that is like. You know what bitterness that feeling breeds - you know in your own heart what kind of evil it brings. And so you are most fit to fight it where it occurs.
    -- Elizabeth Moon

#Heart #Fighting #Sheep

• No, one couldn't make a revolution, one couldn't even start a riot, with sheep that asked only for better browsing.
    -- Ellen Glasgow

#Sheep #Revolution #Status Quo

• You are absolutely beautiful," Anne said. "But if you see yourself, you'll want to pin your hair back like a shepherdess in a bad play." (Eleanor) "Are you saying that I normally look as if I'm tending sheep? With straw in my hair? As if I might yodel?
    -- Eloisa James

#Beautiful #Sheep #Hair

• The Lord can give, and the Lord can take away. I might be herding sheep next year.
    -- Elvis Presley

#Years #Sheep #Giving

• It would be equally reasonable to say that sheep are born carnivorous, and everywhere nibble grass.
    -- Emile Faguet

#Freedom #Sheep #Would Be

• Absolute power corrupts even when exercised for humane purposes. The benevolent despot who sees himself as a shepherd of the people still demands from others the submissiveness of sheep. The taint inherent in absolute power is not its inhumanity but its anti-humanity.
    -- Eric Hoffer

#Sheep #People #Humanity

• Grow up, Bailey." "That is precisely what I'm doing," Bailey says. "I don't care if you don't understand that. Staying here won't make me happy. It will make you happy because you're insipid and boring, and an insipid, boring life is enough for you. It's not enough for me. It will never be enough for me. So I'm leaving. Do me a favor and marry someone who will take decent care of the sheep.
    -- Erin Morgenstern

#Growing Up #Sheep #Leaving

• Civil Society is a cluster of institutions and associations strong enough to prevent tyranny, but which are, none the less, entered and left freely, rather than imposed by birth or sustained by awesome ritual. You can join the Labour Party without slaughtering a sheep...
    -- Ernest Gellner

#Strong #Party #Sheep

• There is nothing in nature quite so joyful as the very young and silly lamb - odd that it should develop into that dull and sober animal the sheep.
    -- Esther Meynell

#Silly #Animal #Sheep

• As to the most prudent logicians might venture to deduce from a skein of wool the probable existence of a sheep; so you, from the raw stuff of perception, may venture to deduce a universe which transcends the reproductive powers of your loom.
    -- Evelyn Underhill

#Sheep #Perception #Stuff

• Today the devil as a wolf in supposedly a new suit of sheep’s clothing is enticing some men to parrot his line by advocating planned government guaranteed security at the expense of our liberties.
    -- Ezra Taft Benson

#Men #Sheep #Liberty

• This is the blessed life-not anxious to see far in front, nor eager to choose the path, but quietly following behind the Shepherd, one step at a time. The Shepherd was always out in front of the sheep. He was down in front. Any attack upon them had to take him into account. Now God is down in front. He is in the tomorrows. It is tomorrow that fills men with dread. God is there already. All the tomorrows of our life have to pass Him before they can get to us.
    -- F.B. Meyer

#Blessed #Men #Sheep