Population quotes

• Almost half of the population of the world lives in rural regions and mostly in a state of poverty. Such inequalities in human development have been one of the primary reasons for unrest and, in some parts of the world, even violence.
    -- Abdul Kalam

#Population #Development #Unrest

• I am quite sure that very few of the so-called Reds in Spain were really Communists. We were badly deceived, for, had I known the real state of affairs, I would never have allowed our aircraft to bombard and destroy a starving population and at the same time re-establish the Spanish clergy in all their horrible privileges. (10th February 1945)
    -- Adolf Hitler

#Real #Spain #Population

• The broad masses of a population are more amenable to the appeal of rhetoric than to any other force.
    -- Adolf Hitler

#Atheism #Population #Broads

• Our object must be to bring our territory into harmony with the numbers of our population.
    -- Adolf Hitler

#Numbers #Population #Territory

• We [women] are the majority of the population, majority of the electorate, majority of the workforce... and yet we're still doing majority of family unpaid or low paid labor. And we live longer. Our stuff is not "special interest" stuff. Our stuff is the stuff of the future, of the whole.
    -- Ai-jen Poo

#Special #Majority #Population

• Our new technologies, combined with our numbers, have made us, collectively, a force of nature
    -- Al Gore

#Technology #Numbers #Population

• As they were during the Cold War, urban population centers remain the most likely targets of a nuclear attack. Now, however, an attack may come without warning from an unknown enemy, to achieve unclear motives.
    -- Alan Cranston

#War #Enemy #Population

• Can you think of any problem, in any area of human endeavour, on any scale, from microscopic to global, whose long-term solution is in any demonstrable way aided, assisted, or advanced by further increases in population, locally, nationally, or globally?
    -- Albert Allen Bartlett

#Thinking #Long #Population

• The optimum population is modeled on the iceberg- eight-ninths below the water line, one-ninth above.
    -- Aldous Huxley

#Eight #Water #Population

• This growing poverty in the midst of growing population constitutes a permanent menace to peace. And not only to peace, but also to democratic institutions and personal liberty For overpopulation is not compatible with freedom.
    -- Aldous Huxley

#Liberty #Poverty #Population

• Population pressure is the ultimate cause of every war.
    -- Alexei Panshin

#War #Population #Pressure

• Nature's standard operating procedure, pairing a population explosion with a population crash.
    -- Alfred W. Crosby

#Population #Crash #Climate Change

• A majority, perhaps as many as 75 percent, of abortion clinics are in areas with high minority populations.
    -- Alveda King

#Abortion #Majority #Population

• Appreciate the power of rumor, often malicious, no matter how preposterous, within the local populations you are seeking to help.
    -- Alvin Adams

#Appreciate #Rumor #Population

• I wanted to shoot straight, mainstream, somehow off-beat. Not only realistic West, which is quite unfamiliar to the world's population - even to a lot of Americans.
    -- Ang Lee

#Population #World #West

• Jails and prisons are designed to break human beings, to convert the population into specimens in a zoo - obedient to our keepers, but dangerous to each other.
    -- Angela Davis

#Zoos #Jail #Population

• If Europe today accounts for just over 7 per cent of the world’s population, produces around 25 per cent of global GDP and has to finance 50 per cent of global social spending, then it’s obvious that it will have to work very hard to maintain its prosperity and way of life,
    -- Angela Merkel

#Europe #Gdp #Population

• Britain makes it absolutely, blindingly clear that it is liberal social welfare policies. And they have turned a good chunk of their native population into animals. They are absolute animals. They are not humans with free will. They eat, they screw, they drink.
    -- Ann Coulter

#Animal #Population #Free Will

• A refugee population is hungry for language and aware that anything can happen.
    -- Anne Carson

#Population #Language #Hungry

• When food becomes scarce, refugees often turn to desperate measures to feed themselves and their families. We are particularly worried about the health of the refugee population, domestic violence and refugees resorting to illegal employment or even to prostitution, just to put enough food on the table.
    -- Antonio Guterres

#Worry #Domestic Violence #Population

• One would have thought that it was even more necessary to limit population than property; and that the limit should be fixed by calculating the chances of mortality in the children, and of sterility in married persons. The neglect of this subject, which in existing states is so common, is a never-failing cause of poverty among the citizens; and poverty is the parent of revolution and crime.
    -- Aristotle

#Children #Parent #Population

• We all worry about the population explosion, but we don't worry about it at the right time.
    -- Art Hoppe

#Naughty #Worry #Population

• There are the further difficulties of building a population out of a diversity of races, each at a different stage of cultural evolution, some in need of restraint, many in need of protection; everywhere a bewildering Babel of tongues.
    -- Arthur Keith

#Race #Diversity #Population

• The genocide will not necessarily take the form of war, or death camps. Most likely it will take the form of ecocide, in which landscapes are devastated and the populations that live there slowly starve or turn upon each other savagely because there isn't enough food or water to go around.
    -- Arundhati Roy

#War #Water #Population

• Regarding social media, I really dont understand what appears to be the general populations lack of concern over privacy issues in publicizing their entire lives on the Internet for others to see to such an extent... but hey its them, not me, so whatever.
    -- Axl Rose

#Media #Issues #Population

• The senators know it's important to win statewide to have Hispanics and other immigrant populations supporting them.
    -- Barack Obama

#Winning #Important #Population

• Island of Hispaniola once so populous (having a population that I estimated to be more than three million), has now a population of barely two hundred persons.
    -- Bartolome de las Casas

#Islands #Two #Population

• If current trends continue, the typical U.S. worker will be considerably more productive several decades from now. Thus, one might argue that letting future generations bear the burden of population aging is appropriate, as they will likely be richer than we are even taking that burden into account.
    -- Ben Bernanke

#Typical #Population #Generations

• I think what's happening with the veterans is a gift from God to show us what happens when you take layers and layers of bureaucracy and place them between the patients and the health care provider. And if we can't get it right, with the relatively small number of veterans, how in the world are you going to do it with the entire population?
    -- Benjamin Carson

#Thinking #Numbers #Population

• Consider Ireland.... You have a starving population, an absentee aristocracy, and an alien Church, and in addition the weakest executive in the world. That is the Irish Question.
    -- Benjamin Disraeli

#Church #Aristocracy #Population

• However useful may be the National Parks and Forests of the West for those affording the Pullman fare to reach them, what is needed by the bulk of the American population is something nearer home.
    -- Benton MacKaye

#Home #Population #National Parks

• China is clearly going to be the number one economic power and it is already full of potential.. with lots of population and the buying power increasing by the day. .
    -- Bernard Arnault

#Numbers #Population #Buying

• ... from our vantage point it is now clear that the only thing the population had to fear was fear itself.
    -- Bernard Beckett

#Fear #Population #Vantage Point

• Of course I know our economic growth can't match our population growth so of course I know we'll all get poorer until we get that number down - don't tell me, tell the other idiots!
    -- Bernard Chidzero

#Numbers #Growth #Population

• I do not pretend that birth control is the only way in which population can be kept from increasing. There are others, which, one must suppose, opponents of birth control would prefer.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#Population #Birth Control #Opponents

• It is true, there are many bad people; there are more of them than in the past, but that is because there are more people, meaning the population has tripled; there must be three times more bad people.
    -- Bhumibol Adulyadej

#Past #People #Population

• I've always been opposed to population control. In climate terms, population is not the biggest problem going forward.
    -- Bill McKibben

#Climate #Population #Problem

• A huge Chinese population here in... Houston.
    -- Bill Walton

#Chinese #Population #Houston

• Many Americans are unaware that we still have a large population of working families, elderly, and children who rely on emergency food pantries, shelters, and other resources to meet their nutritional needs.
    -- Blanche Lincoln

#Children #Elderly #Population

• Help control the pet population. Have your pets spayed or neutered.
    -- Bob Barker

#Pet #Population #Helping

• Two new workers are being added to the population for every one job that is created.
    -- Bob Beauprez

#Jobs #Two #Population

• Job growth well in excess of population increase would be a very good thing if it were only that easy.
    -- Bob Beauprez

#Jobs #Growth #Population

• Three thousand jurisdictions across the U.S. are estimated to have had gang activity in 2001. In 2002, 32% of cities with a population of 25 to 50 thousand reported a gang-related homicide.
    -- Bob Filner

#Cities #Population #Three

• A total of 1,580 people, the civilian population, suffered as a result of the bloody wave of terrorist acts that swept over Moscow and other towns and villages of our country.
    -- Boris Yeltsin

#Country #People #Population

• There is no better form of trade a developing nation can engage in than to sell services provided by an educated population.
    -- Brian Behlendorf

#Population #Form #Educated

• The advance of technology, like the growth of population and industry, has also been proceeding exponentially.
    -- Carl Kaysen

#Technology #Growth #Population

• Illinois has less than a 12 percent black population and I won with 55 percent of the vote.
    -- Carol Moseley Braun

#Illinois #Black #Population

• We must limit to a reasonable amount the Jewish influence...Whenever the Jewish percentage of total population becomes too high, a reaction seems to invariably occur. It is too bad because a few Jews of the right type are, I believe, an asset to any country.
    -- Charles Lindbergh

#Country #Believe #Population

• Either a species learns to control its own population, or something like disease, famine, war, will take care of the issue.
    -- Chuck Palahniuk

#War #Issues #Population

• And we know there has been horrendous loss of life and suffering and we know that there is anger. Anyone who came anywhere near the general election in constituencies with a substantial Muslim population knows that.
    -- Clare Short

#Loss #Suffering #Population

• As a great man's influence never ends, so also there is not definite finality, no end, to a great survey; it runs along for centuries, ever responsive to the strain of the increasing needs of a growing population and an enlarging domain.
    -- Cleveland Abbe

#Running #Men #Population

• The vast majority of the population seems to look down their noses upon self-reliance as some quaint dusty relic, entertained only by the hyperparanoid or those hopelessly incapable of fitting into mainstream society.
    -- Cody Lundin

#Self #Majority #Population

• The middle class, in the white population, encompasses a wide swath.
    -- Constance Baker Motley

#Class #White #Population

• I don't do well around the angry, bitter and emotionally fragile among us, which may eliminate 70% of the population.
    -- Craig Kilborn

#Population #May #Bitter

• Women are half the population and they know how to take care of themselves, if they are only given access to health care.
    -- Cynthia Nixon

#Population #Half #Care

• Over a third of the Newenhan population was under eighteen,which didn't make his job any easier, the hormonally challenged being terminally and all too often fatally prone to acts of stupidity.
    -- Dana Stabenow

#Jobs #Stupidity #Population

• In order for a service to be social, you've really got to start from the ground up. The fact that almost a third of the U.S. population have even heard of Spotify is really because they've seen it on Facebook and friends have been sharing.
    -- Daniel Ek

#Order #Population #Facts

• Increasing food production to feed an increased population results in yet another increase in population.
    -- Daniel Quinn

#Population #Increase #Results

• We need to take a leaf out of natures book. Any species that clones itself will eventually be attacked by a parasite, leading to an inevitable population crash.
    -- Daniel Suarez

#Book #Population #Needs

• In Washington State, the immigrant population has grown by 42 percent in the five years between 2000 and 2005 - which is an increase from 8 percent to 10.6 percent of the overall population - and the jobless rate in the state has hit a 6 year low.
    -- Dave Reichert

#Years #Population #Washington State

• If I am right in saying that thought is the ultimate origin or source, it follows that if we don't do anything about thought, we won't get anywhere. We may momentarily relieve the population problem, the ecological problem, and so on, but they will come back in another way.
    -- David

#Population #May #Way

• Instead of controlling the environment for the benefit of the population, perhaps we should control the population to ensure the survival of our environment
    -- David Attenborough

#Survival #Population #Benefits

• All our environmental problems become easier to solve with fewer people and harder - and ultimately impossible to solve - with ever more people.
    -- David Attenborough

#People #Environmental #Population

• The optimum human population of earth is zero.
    -- David Foreman

#Zero #Animal #Population

• My three main goals would be to reduce human population to about 100 million worldwide, destroy the industrial infrastructure and see wilderness, with it's full complement of species, returning throughout the world.
    -- David Foreman

#Goal #Population #Would Be

• The net worth of the 358 richest people in the world was then found to be 'equal to the combined income of the poorest 45 per cent of the worlds population - 2.3 billion people.
    -- David Harvey

#People #Population #Income

• Goodness knows the Republican electorate is a pretty narrow slice of the population.
    -- David Price

#Population #Republican #Goodness

• If I could go back to a point in history to try to get things to come out differently, I would go back and tell moses to go up the mountain again and get the other tablet. Because the Ten Commandments just tell us what we are supped to do with one another, not a word about our relationship to the earth. Genesis starts with these commands: multiply, replenish the earth, and subdue it. We have multiplied very well, we have replenished our populations very well, we have subdued it all too well, and we don't have any other instruction.
    -- David R. Brower

#Trying #Mountain #Population

• You don't have a conservation policy unless you have a population policy.
    -- David R. Brower

#Population #Conservation #Policy

• Every good journalist is aware that his trade may one day go the way of phrenology-and, what's more, the population will hardly protest the extinction.
    -- David Remnick

#One Day #Population #May

• After all the fertile land in the immediate neighbourhood of the first settlers were cultivated, if capital and population increased, more food would be required, and it could only be procured from land not so advantageously situated.
    -- David Ricardo

#Land #Population #Would Be

• At a time when 20% of people in the US go to bed hungry each night and almost 50% of the world's population is malnourished, choosing to eat more plant-based foods and less red meat is better for all of us-ourselves, our loved ones, and our planet.
    -- Dean Ornish

#Night #People #Population

• America is 5 percent of the world's population and consumes 96 percent of the world's hard drugs.
    -- Dick Gregory

#America #Drug #Population

• Alcoholism, tobacco, drunk driving, these things will always be with us. There's always going to be a certain percentage of any population that is addicted to certain substances.
    -- Don Winslow

#Drunk #Population #Substance

• The world produces enough food to feed the entire population. It's a travesty that anyone should go hungry anywhere.
    -- Donny Osmond

#Population #World #Hunger

• Mosts scientist are unable to arrive at a specific definition of biological evolution. “Biological evolution is… change in the properties of populations of organisms (you and me) that [happen during] the lifetime of a single individual. The changes in populations that are considered evolutionary are those that are inheritable via the genetic material from one generation to the next
    -- Douglas J. Futuyma

#Population #Generations #Definitions

• In the broadest sense, evolution is merely change, and so is all-pervasive; galaxies, languages, and political systems all evolve. Biological evolution ... is change in the properties of populations of organisms that transcend the lifetime of a single individual.
    -- Douglas J. Futuyma

#Political #Population #Evolution

• I happen to believe that there is nothing wrong with homosexuality. It’s whatever God made you. It happens that I’m heterosexual, but I don’t care about that. I do care about protecting the rights of 10 percent of our population who are homosexual and who don’t have the ability to protect their rights.
    -- Ed Koch

#Believe #Rights #Population

• Although children are only 24 percent of the population, they're 100 percent of our future and we cannot afford to provide any child with a substandard education.
    -- Ed Markey

#Children #Population #Our Future

• You mustn't expect prime ministers to enjoy themselves. If they do, they mustn't show it - the population would be horrified
    -- Edward Heath

#Population #Would Be #Prime

• Comparison of statements made at different periods frequently enable us to give maximal and minimal dates to the appearance of a cultural element or to assign the time limits to a movement of population.
    -- Edward Sapir

#Giving #Population #Different

• There is a segment of the American population that has been excluded from the national myth, and that should be redressed.
    -- Edward Zwick

#Population #Should #Myth

• As the pressure of population increasingly regiments us and crowds us closer together, an association with the wild, winged freedom of the birds will fill an ever growing need in our lives.
    -- Edwin Way Teale

#Bird #Together #Population

• We have a middle class that lives on a razor blade. So sometimes when you say poverty, you neglect a large portion of the population.
    -- Elizabeth Edwards

#Class #Population #Razors

• Syria's population is 74% Sunni Muslim.
    -- Elliott Abrams

#Population #Syria

• The population forecast for the United States in 1970 is 170 million. The population forecast for Russia alone in 1970 is 251 million. The implications are clear.
    -- Emanuel Celler

#Russia #United States #Population

• There is nothing more explosive than a skilled population condemned to inaction. Such a population is likely to become a hotbed of extremism and intolerance, and be receptive to any proselytizing ideology, however absurd and vicious, which promises vast action.
    -- Eric Hoffer

#Promise #Population #Action

• The poorer is a family, the greater is the proportion of the total outgo which must be used for food... The proportion of the outgo used for food, other things being equal, is the best measure of the material standard of living of a population.
    -- Ernst Engel

#Population #Used #Proportion

• Isolating mechanisms are biological properties of individuals that prevent the interbreeding of populations that are actually or potentially sympatric.
    -- Ernst Mayr

#Population #Isolation #Individual

• I had found again and again that the most aberrant population of a species - often having reached species rank, and occasionally classified even as a separate genus - occurred at a peripheral location, indeed usually at the most isolated peripheral location.
    -- Ernst Mayr

#Location #Population #Found

• As a consequence, geneticists described evolution simply as a change in gene frequencies in populations, totally ignoring the fact that evolution consists of the two simultaneous but quite separate phenomena of adaptation and diversification.
    -- Ernst Mayr

#Two #Facts #Population

• A new species develops if a population which has become geographically isolated from its parental species acquires during this period of isolation characters which promote or guarantee reproductive isolation when the external barriers break down.
    -- Ernst Mayr

#Character #Population #Guarantees

• A species consists of a group of populations which replace each other geographically or ecologically and of which the neighboring ones integrate or hybridise wherever they are in contact or which are potentially capable of doing so (with one or more of the populations) in those cases where contact is prevented by geographical or ecological barriers.
    -- Ernst Mayr

#Groups #Population #Evolution

• Paleontologists had long been aware of a seeming contradiction between Darwin's postulate of gradualism, confirmed by the work of population genetics, and the actual findings of paleontology. Following phyletic lines through time seemed to reveal only minimal gradual changes but no clear evidence for any change of a species into a different genus or for the gradual origin of an evolutionary novelty. Anything truly novel always seemed to appear quite abruptly in the fossil record.
    -- Ernst Mayr

#Long #Population #Different

• A species is a reproductive community of populations reproductively isolated from others that occupies a specific niche in nature.
    -- Ernst Mayr

#Community #Population #Niche

• There are a number of attributes of species and populations that are not of any particular selective advantage to any single individual in a population but that are of great advantage to the population as a whole.
    -- Ernst Mayr

#Numbers #Diversity #Population

• The major novelty of my theory was its claim that the most rapid evolutionary change does not occur in widespread, populous species, as claimed by Most geneticists, but in small founder populations.
    -- Ernst Mayr

#Novelty #Population #Doe

• You can stop splitting the atom; you can stop visiting the moon; you can stop using aerosols; you may even decide not to kill entire populations by the use of a few bombs. But you cannot recall a new form of life.
    -- Erwin Chargaff

#Moon #Population #Atoms

• [According to Twitter] 24 percent of American Twitter users are African-American. That's about twice as high as African-Americans are represented in the population.
    -- Ethan Zuckerman

#Technology #African American #Population

• There is a strong link between the following three things: exporting, manufacturing and the degree of saving by the population. It's complicated, but if the population doesn't save, the economy will not tend to export as much, and if it doesn't export as much, it won't manufacture enough.
    -- Evan Davis

#Strong #Degrees #Population