Easter quotes

• 'Tis spring; come out to ramble The hilly brakes around, For under thorn and bramble About the hollow ground The primroses are found. And there's the windflower chilly With all the winds at play, And there's the Lenten lily That has not long to stay And dies on Easter day.
    -- A. E. Housman

#Easter #Spring #Wind

• They're keeping friction going between people from the East and the West. One thing we all got in common is your color, which is Black and Latino, which is our family.
    -- Afrika Bambaataa

#Easter #Color #People

• I like Easter. But let's remember that Christ's resurrection is not truer at Easter than at any other time of the year.
    -- Aiden Wilson Tozer

#Easter #Years #Remember

• People tend to stay at home and eat a home-cooked meal. There are three days that are really slow for restaurants - Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter.
    -- Alan K. Simpson

#Christmas #Easter #Home

• We believe that the history of the world is but the history of His influence and that the center of the whole universe is the cross of Calvary.
    -- Alexander MacLaren

#Easter #Believe #World

• Luke associates John with Peter in Acts, when, after the Resurrection, that strange boldness had come upon the disciples.
    -- Alfred Noyes

#Easter #Strange #Resurrection

• For I remember it is Easter morn, And life and love and peace are all new born.
    -- Alice Freeman Palmer

#Easter #Life And Love #Peace And Love

• If I do not give a friend "The benefit of the doubt," but put the worst construction instead of the best on what is said or done, then I know nothing of Calvary love.
    -- Amy Carmichael

#Easter #Giving #Doubt

• My mom used to say that Greek Easter was later because then you get stuff cheaper.
    -- Amy Sedaris

#God #Mom #Easter

• Blessed are thoseto whom Easter is not a hunt... but a find; not a greeting... but a proclamation; not an outward fashion... but inward grace; not a day... but an eternity.
    -- Anderson Luis de Abreu Oliveira

#Fashion #Easter #Blessed

• A dead Christ I must do everything for; a living Christ does everything for me.
    -- Andrew Murray

#Jesus #Easter #Life Changing

• This is the Easter message, that awakening is possible, to the goodness of God, the sacredness of human life, the sisterhood and brotherhood of all.
    -- Anne Lamott

#Easter #Sisterhood #Brotherhood

• 'Easter' is a movable event, calculated by the relative positions of sun and moon, an impossible way of fixing year by year the anniversary of a historical event, but a very natural and indeed inevitable way of calculating a solar festival. These changing dates do not point to the history of a man, but to the hero of a solar myth.
    -- Annie Besant

#Easter #Hero #Moon

• To many Americans, everything from the Easter morning to the Ascension had to be made up by the groveling enthusiasts as part of their plan to get themselves martyred.
    -- Antonin Scalia

#Easter #Morning #Scary

• Nothing in my hand I bring, Simply to Thy cross I cling
    -- Augustus Toplady

#Easter #Hands #Crosses

• We can no longer speak of a bourne from which no traveler e'er returns. The middle wall of partition has been broken down and the boundary become but an invisible line by the resurrection of Christ. That He who died has been raised again and ever lives in the form of a complete humanity is the fundamental fact in the revelation of the Christian doctrine of immortality.
    -- B. B. Warfield

#Christian #Easter #Wall

• In Christ's resurrection, therefore, the Christian man sees the earnest and pledge of his own resurrection; and by it he is enheartened as he lays away the bodies of those dear to him, not sorrowing "as the rest that have no hope," but with hearts swelling with glad anticipations of the day when they shall rise to meet their Lord. "For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also that are fallen asleep in Jesus will He bring with Him.
    -- B. B. Warfield

#Christian #Jesus #Easter

• Had He not emerged from the tomb all our hopes, all our salvation would be lying dead with Him unto this day. But as we see Him issue from the grave we see ourselves issue with Him in newness of life. Now we know that His shoulders were strong enough to bear the burden that was laid upon them, and that He is able to save to the uttermost all that come unto God through Him. The resurrection of Christ is thus the indispensable evidence of His completed work, His accomplished redemption.
    -- B. B. Warfield

#Easter #Strong #Lying

• Had Christ not risen we could not believe Him to be what He declared Himself when He "made Himself equal with God." But He has risen in the confirmation of all His claims. By it alone, but by it thoroughly, is He manifested as the very Son of God, who has come into the world to reconcile the world to Himself. It is the fundamental fact in the Christian's unwavering confidence in "all the words of this life.
    -- B. B. Warfield

#Christian #Easter #Believe

• From the empty grave of Jesus the enemies of the cross turn away in unconcealable dismay. Those whom the force of no logic can convince, and whose hearts are steeled against the appeal of almighty love from the cross itself, quail before the irresistible power of this simple fact. Christ has risen from the dead! After two thousand years of the most determined assault upon the evidence which demonstrates it, that fact stands. And so long as it stands Christianity, too, must stand as the one supernatural religion.
    -- B. B. Warfield

#Jesus #Easter #Heart

• On Easter or Christmas Day, my mother might drag me to church, just as she dragged me to the Buddhist temple, the Chinese New Year celebration, the Shinto shrine, and ancient Hawaiian burial sites.
    -- Barack Obama

#Mother #New Year #Easter

• I use to believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and Tom Cruise too.
    -- Barbara Bretton

#Easter #Believe #Use

• We are Easter people living in a Good Friday world.
    -- Barbara Johnson

#Friday #Easter #People

• Here comes Peter Cottontail right down the bunny trail....
    -- Beatrix Potter

#Easter #Bunnies #Peter

• I missed New York. Every break I had from the series, I'd fly back to the East Coast just to get back onstage.
    -- Bebe Neuwirth

#Easter #New York #Break

• God had brought me to my knees and made me acknowledge my own nothingness, and out of that knowledge I had been reborn. I was no longer the centre of my life and therefore I could see God in everything.
    -- Bede Griffiths

#Easter #Knees #Made

• It will make a weak man mighty. it will make a mighty man fall. It will fill your heart and hands or leave you with nothing at all. It's the eyes for the blind and legs for the lame. It is the love for hate and pride for shame. That's the power of the gospel.
    -- Ben Harper

#Easter #Hate #Fall

• It would be so nice to have the luxury just to laze. So nice not to have to always get up and get dressed for some occasion. Always having to move from here to there, where everything is scheduled and even having lunch with my kids on their Easter break has to be slotted in. Maybe one day...
    -- Benazir Bhutto

#Easter #Nice #Moving

• Those have a short Lent who owe money to be paid at Easter.
    -- Benjamin Franklin

#Easter

• To a Christian, Easter Sunday means everything, when we celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
    -- Bernhard Langer

• Well pleaseth me the sweet time of Easter. That maketh the leaf and the flower come out.
    -- Bertran de Born

#Sweet #Easter #Flower

• The East Germans first used biomechanics. This meant that rather than guessing about technique and form, they could apply changes to athletic performance based on science.
    -- Bill Toomey

#Easter #Science #Athletic

• God proved His love on the Cross. When Christ hung, and bled, and died, it was God saying to the world, 'I love you.'
    -- Billy Graham

#Love #Easter #World

• The entire plan for the future has its key in the resurrection.
    -- Billy Graham

#Easter #Keys #Resurrection

• There is more evidence that Jesus rose from the dead than there is that Julius Caesar ever lived or that Alexander the Great died at the age of thirty-three.
    -- Billy Graham

#Jesus #Easter #Rose

• Philadelphia fans would boo funerals, an Easter egg hunt, a parade of armless war vets and the Liberty Bell.
    -- Bo Belinsky

#Easter #War #Eggs

• They have Easter egg hunts in Philadelphia, and if the kids don't find the eggs, they get booed.
    -- Bob Uecker

#Easter #Kids #Eggs

• He's the only man I know of who can hide his own easter eggs.
    -- Bobby Heenan

#Easter #Wrestling #Men

• How is it possible that our parents lied to us?" "Lets see: Santa, the Tooth Fairy,the Easter bunny,um, God. You're the prettiest kid in school. This wont hurt a bit. Your face will freeze like that..." "Everythings going to be alright.
    -- Brian K. Vaughan

#Hurt #Easter #Kids

• Lead me to the cross Where Your love poured out Bring me to my knees Lord I lay me down Rid me of myself I belong to You Lead me, lead me to the cross.
    -- Brooke Fraser

#Easter #Knees #Lord

• There is no historic incident better or more variously supported than the resurrection of Christ.
    -- Brooke Westcott

#Easter #Resurrection #Christ

• I went to my room and packed a change of clothes, got my banjo, and started walking down the road. Soon I found myself on the open highway headed east.
    -- Burl Ives

#Easter #Walking Away #Clothes

• He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart
    -- C. S. Lewis

#Easter #Food #Heart

• You must make your choice: either this man was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for a fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon; or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.
    -- C. S. Lewis

#Teacher #Jesus #Easter

• I lied on my Weight Watchers list. I put down that I had 3 eggs... but they were Cadbury chocolate eggs.
    -- Caroline Rhea

#Easter #Eggs #Chocolate

• The ladies usually go for the biggest damn fool they can find; that is why the human race stands where it does today: we have bred the clever and lasting Casanovas, all hollow inside, like the chocolate Easter bunnies we foster upon our poor children.
    -- Charles Bukowski

#Easter #Clever #Children

• No, you can take it from an expert in cover-ups-I've lived through Watergate-that nothing less than a resurrected Christ could have caused those men to maintain to their dying whispers that Jesus is alive and is Lord. Two thousand years later, nothing less than the power of the risen Christ could inspire Christians around the world to remain faithful-despite prison, torture, and death.
    -- Charles Colson

• The benefits [of the resurrection] are innumerable. To list a few: Our illnesses don't seem nearly so final; Our fears fade and lose their grip; Our grief over those who have gone on is diminished; Our desires to press on in spite of the obstacles is rejuvenated... Our identity as Christians is strengthened as we stand in the lengthening shadows of saints down through the centuries, who have always answered back in antiphonal voice: 'He is risen, indeed!'
    -- Charles R. Swindoll

#Christian #Easter #Grief

• When we preach Christ crucified, we have no reason to stammer, or stutter, or hesitate, or apologize; there is nothing in the gospel of which we have any cause to be ashamed.
    -- Charles Spurgeon

#Easter #Causes #Apologizing

• Immanuel, God with us in our nature, in our sorrow, in our lifework, in our punishment, in our grave, and now with us, or rather we with Him, in resurrection, ascension, triumph, and Second Advent splendor.
    -- Charles Spurgeon

#Easter #Punishment #Sorrow

• Christ the Lord is risen to-day, Sons of men and angels say. Raise your joys and triumphs high; Sing, ye heavens, and earth reply.
    -- Charles Wesley

#Easter #Angel #Son

• We were taking collections for people with AIDS in New York around Easter.
    -- Chita Rivera

#Easter #New York #People

• Iraq can emerge as a beacon of hope and democracy in the Middle East, and the world, with our help.
    -- Chris Chocola

#Easter #Iraq #Democracy

• I figure if Doc is right about the time I have left,I should wrap up my adolescence in the next few days, get into my early productive stages about the third week of school, go through my midlife crisis during Martin Luther King Jr's birthday, redouble my efforts at productivity and think about my legacy, say, Easter, and start cashing in my 401(k)s a couple weeks before Memorial Day.
    -- Chris Crutcher

#Memorial Day #Easter #Kings

• Jesus lives, to Him the Throne Over all the world is given, May we go where He is gone, Rest and reign with Him in heaven. Alleluia!
    -- Christian Furchtegott Gellert

#Jesus #Easter #Heaven

• The message of Easter is not that Jesus is alive, it is so much more. The message of Easter is that Jesus has risen!
    -- Colin S. Smith

#Jesus #Easter #Alive

• Our sin reached its full horror and found its most awful expression in the cross.
    -- Colin S. Smith

#Easter #Expression #Awful

• When Good Friday comes, these are the moments in life when we feel there's no hope. But then, Easter comes.
    -- Coretta Scott King

#Friday #Easter #Moments

• I have an Easter challenge for Christians. My challenge is simply this: tell me what happened on Easter. I am not asking for proof. My straightforward request is merely that Christians tell me exactly what happened on the day that their most important doctrine was born.
    -- Dan Barker

#Christian #Easter #Challenges

• At this gathering [Council of Niceau in 324 AD] many aspects of Christianity were debated and voted upon ― the date of Easter, the role of the bishops, the administration of sacraments, and, of course, the divinity of Jesus... until that moment in history, Jesus was viewed by His followers as a mortal prophet... a great and powerful man, but a man nonetheless. A mortal.
    -- Dan Brown

#Jesus #Easter #Powerful

• I believe in one God, the first and great cause of goodness. I also believe in Jesus Christ, the rebirth of the world. I also believe in the Holy Ghost, the comforter.
    -- Daniel Morgan

#Jesus #Easter #Believe

• Easter is all about remembering the importance of change, responsibility, and doing the right thing for the good of our children.
    -- David Cameron

#Easter #Children #Responsibility

• ...centre of the centre, the real heart of Christianity as it has been until now.
    -- David Friedrich Strauss

#Easter #Real #Heart

• In every grave on earth's green sward is a tiny seed of the resurrection life of Jesus Christ, and that seed cannot perish. It will germinate when the warm south wind of Christ's return brings back the spring-tide to this cold sin-cursed earth of ours; and then they that are in their graves, and we who shall lie down in ours, will feel in our mortal bodies the power of His resurrection, and will come forth to life immortal.
    -- David McMurtrie Gregg

#Jesus #Easter #Spring

• The rabbit of Easter. He bring of the chocolate.
    -- David Sedaris

#Easter #Chocolate #Rabbits

• Here's the problem with Easter. The Catholic Church needs to pick a date because it keeps moving. And I think the reason they always have Easter moving to different dates is to catch us.
    -- Denis Leary

#Easter #Moving #Thinking

• Good Friday and Easter free us to think about other things far beyond our own personal fate, about the ultimate meaning of all life, suffering, and events; and we lay hold of a great hope.
    -- Dietrich Bonhoeffer

#Friday #Easter #Fate

• There is also a strong following among the urbanites on the East Coast when it comes to martial arts films.
    -- Donnie Yen

#Easter #Art #Strong

• Sherrill On Easter Day the veil between time and eternity thins to gossamer.
    -- Douglas Horton

#Easter #Veils #Eternity

• We are told to let our light shine, and if it does, we won't need to tell anybody it does. Lighthouses don't fire cannons to call attention to their shining- they just shine.
    -- Dwight L. Moody

#Christian #Wisdom #Easter

• I'll protect myself by making up all this crazy stuff. It'll be like a little shell. Like an Easter egg shell that's all decorated.
    -- Edie Brickell

#Easter #Crazy #Eggs

• The flowers left thick at nightfall in the wood This Eastertide call into mind the men, Now far from home, who, with their sweethearts, should Have gathered them and will do never again.
    -- Edward Thomas

#Easter #Flower #Home

• she had long accepted the fact that happiness is like swallows in Spring. It may come and nest under your eaves or it may not. You cannot command it. When you expect to be happy you are not, when you don't expect to be happy there's suddenly Easter in your soul, though it be midwinter.
    -- Elizabeth Goudge

#Easter #Spring #Long

• Large, naked, raw carrots are acceptable as food only to those who live in hutches eagerly awaiting Easter.
    -- Fran Lebowitz

#Easter #Vegetables #Naked

• We must not forget that it wasn't the Jews that put him on the cross, and it wasn't the Romans. It was my sins, it was your sins, the sins of this world.
    -- Franklin Graham

#Easter #World #Sin

• I'm a little hoarse tonight. I've been living in Chicago for the past two months, and you know how it is, yelling for help on the way home every night. Things are so tough in Chicago that at Easter time, for bunnies the little kids use porcupines.
    -- Fred Allen

#Easter #Home #Kids

• Somehow we just dont make the same boisterous fun of Holy Week that we do of Christmas. No one plans to have a holly, jolly Easter.
    -- Frederica Mathewes-Green

#Easter #Fun #Hollies

• There is a fragrance in the air, a certain passage of a song, an old photograph falling out from the pages of a book, the sound of somebody's voice in the hall that makes your heart leap and fills your eyes with tears. Who can say when or how it will be that something easters up out of the dimness to remind us of a time before we were born and after we will die?
    -- Frederick Buechner

#Song #Easter #Book

• Remember Jesus of Nazareth, staggering on broken feet out of the tomb toward the Resurrection, bearing on his body the proud insignia of the defeat which is victory, the magnificent defeat of the human soul at the hands of God.
    -- Frederick Buechner

#Jesus #Easter #Feet

• And now brothers, I will ask you a terrible question, and God knows I ask it also of myself. Is the truth beyond all truths, beyond the stars, just this: that to live without him is the real death, that to die with him the only life?
    -- Frederick Buechner

#Christmas #Jesus #Easter

• Ye Heavens, how sang they in your courts, How sang the angelic choir that day, When from his tomb the imprisoned God, Like the strong sunrise, broke away?
    -- Frederick William Faber

#Easter #Strong #Heaven

• Unless there is a Good Friday in your life, there can be no Easter Sunday.
    -- Fulton J. Sheen

#Friday #Easter #Sunday

• You'll wake up on Easter morning, And you'll know that he was there, When you find those choc'late bunnies, That he's hiding ev'rywhere.
    -- Gene Autry

#Easter #Morning #Wake Up

• So I'll cherish the old rugged cross, Till my trophies at last I lay down; I will cling to the old rugged cross, And exchange it some day for a crown.
    -- George Bennard

#Easter #Crowns #Lasts

• Let patriotism have its high days and freedom its monuments, and let the triumphs of navigators and generals be annually observed; but surely, beyond all these, a season that stands for as much to the race as Easter does may well be remembered each year with songs and flowers and with every mark of gratitude and of loftiest jubilation.
    -- George Horace Lorimer

#Song #Gratitude #Easter

• Let Him easter in us, be a dayspring to the dimness of us, be a crimson-cresseted east.
    -- Gerard Manley Hopkins

#Easter #East #Crimson

• I moved up over Lower East Side and I was adopted by eight foster parents; I lived all over New York City with these parents, man, till I was about ten years old.
    -- Gregory Corso

#Easter #New York #Men

• When one of the down Easters boasted of not having any gray hair, but who was bald, Dad told the story of how St. Peter had given his choice of getting bald or getting gray and he chose the latter. Have never smoked, chewed nor used tea coffee or liquor except for medicinal purposes. The want of it is more than the worth of it.
    -- Hal Turner

#Easter #Dad #Coffee

• Without Easter, Good Friday would have no meaning. Without Easter, there would be no hope that suffering and abandonment might be tolerable. But with Easter, a way out becomes visible for human sorrows, an absolute future: more than a hope, a divine expectation.
    -- Hans Urs von Balthasar

#Friday #Easter #Expectations

• It is to the Cross that the Christian is challenged to follow his Master: no path of redemption can make a detour around it.

• If one does away with the fact of the Resurrection, one also does away with the Cross, for both stand and fall together, and one would then have to find a new center for the whole message of the gospel.

#Easter #Fall #Together

• I'd been brought up on the Upper East Side in a WASP society, which was death on crutches.
    -- Harry Mathews

#Easter #Upper East Side #Sides

• You can't make war in the Middle East without Egypt and you can't make peace without Syria.
    -- Henry A. Kissinger

#Easter #War #Egypt

• The joyful news that He is risen does not change the contemporary world. Still before us lie work, discipline, sacrifice. But the fact of Easter gives us the spiritual power to do the work, accept the discipline, and make the sacrifice.
    -- Henry Knox Sherrill

#Spiritual #Easter #Lying

• The resurrection asserts a truth which is by no means always written legibly for all men on the face of nature. It tells us that the spiritual is higher than the material; that in this universe spirit counts for more than matter.
    -- Henry Parry Liddon

#Spiritual #Easter #Mean

• Talk not of wasted affection - affection never was wasted.
    -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

#Love #Dream #Easter

• 'Twas Easter-Sunday. The full-blossomed trees Filled all the air with fragrance and with joy.
    -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

#Easter #Sunday #Air

• Every day of our lives and in every season of the year (not just at Easter time), Jesus asks each of us, as he did following his triumphant entry into Jerusalem those many years ago, ‘What think ye of Christ? whose son is he?’ (Matt. 22:42.) We declare that he is the Son of God, and the reality of that fact should stir our souls more frequently. I pray that it will, this Easter season and always.
    -- Howard W. Hunter

#Jesus #Easter #Son

• A strangely reflective, even melancholy day. Is that because, unlike our cousins in the northern hemisphere, Easter is not associated with the energy and vitality of spring but with the more subdued spirit of autumn.
    -- Hugh Mackay

#Cousin #Easter #Spring

• In your Easter bonnet, with all the frills upon it, you'll be the grandest lady in the Easter parade.
    -- Irving Berlin

#Easter #Parades #Bonnets