Shells quotes

• You should never meet your heroes. Paul Newman... I was so excited about meeting him, but he turned up in shell suit bottoms, slippers, and a jumper. He was just so worn out and old, he wanted to go home.
    -- Allen Carr

#Hero #Home #Shells

• I know that a creed is the shell of a lie.
    -- Amy Lowell

#Lying #Shells #Creeds

• The shell is America's most active contribution to the formation of character. A tough hide. Grow it early.
    -- Anais Nin

#Character #America #Shells

• I've learned that under everyone's hard shell is someone who wants to be appreciated and loved.
    -- Andy Rooney

#Shells #Want #Appreciated

• If you want to write for T.V. and movies, you will be subjected to kind and unkind criticism. You had better get used to it and develop a shell.
    -- Anne Beatts

#Writing #Criticism #Shells

• One cannot collect all the beautiful shells on the beach. One can collect only a few, and they are more beautiful if they are few.
    -- Anne Morrow Lindbergh

#Beautiful #Beach #Shells

• I would treat her like an egg, the shell of which we remove before eating it; I would take off her mask and then kiss her pretty face.
    -- Aristophanes

#Kissing #Eggs #Shells

• I know I come off like a very outgoing person, and yeah, I'm outgoing, but there's also a part of me that still likes to be in my little shell sometimes.
    -- Ashley Tisdale

#Shells #Littles #Likes

• People ate bread made of the shells of peas because there was no flour.
    -- Bel Kaufman

#People #Shells #Bread

• Young women say I helped them come out of their shells
    -- Bettie Page

#Shells #Young #Young Women

• We learn to make a shell for ourselves when we are young and then spend the rest of our lives hoping for someone to reach inside and touch us. Just touch us—anything more than that would be too much for us to bear.
    -- Bill Russell

#Would Be #Shells #Too Much

• The shell fishing industry represents a major part of Louisiana's economy.
    -- Bobby Jindal

#Fishing #Louisiana #Shells

• To live is a constant process of relating, so come on out of that shell of isolation and conclusion, and relate DIRECTLY to what is being said. Bear in mind I seek neither your approval nor to influence you. So do not make up your mind as to "this is this" or "that is that." I will be more than satisfied if you begin to learn to investigate everything yourself from now on.
    -- Bruce Lee

#Motivational #Mind #Shells

• Never tell tales about a woman. No matter how far away she is, shell always hear you.
    -- Bryan Brown

#Shells #Matter #Far Away

• It seems to me the worst of all the plagues is the slug, the snail without a shell. He is beyond description repulsive, a mass of sooty, shapeless slime, and he devours everything.
    -- Celia Thaxter

#Slime #Slugs #Shells

• You got to harden yourself. Make, like, a shell around you. But not everyone can do it. If they got nothing to hang on to some of them screw up. They’re not in the game no more.
    -- Charlie Higson

#Games #Screw Ups #Shells

• In my experience, telling someone to switch Unix shells for ease of use is like telling him to switch cigarette brands for his health.
    -- Chris Espinosa

#Use #Shells #Ease

• Like most New Yorkers I was shell-shocked immediately after 9/11 and couldn't put into words what I was feeling.
    -- Christine Lavin

#Feelings #Shells

• It's the old shell game.
    -- Dan Rather

#Games #Religion #Shells

• I'll admit that I do quite like drinks that come in coconut shells. So there's always that.
    -- Danica McKellar

#Shells #Coconuts #Drink

• Well, I thought, climbing slowly out of the slit trench, the shells will catch us above ground now. But if you have to go, you have to go. F Company’s in trouble, and we have to help them. We’re in reserve, so we have to go. And if we’re shelled, we’re shelled. There is absolutely nothing we can do about it.
    -- David Kenyon Webster

#Climbing #Shells #Helping

• To this day I don’t know if he was struggling with the moral implications of gunning down half a dozen civilians, or if he was mentally counting to see if he had that many shells left in the gun.
    -- David Wong

#Struggle #Gun #Shells

• For me, whatever age or size I've been, I have rather liked myself. The shell is not the thing at all.
    -- Dawn French

#Age #Shells #Size

• I grew up in a suburban situation and I was constantly looking for the central, the town. I grew up craving. "Where's the town? Where's the people?" You get into a very isolated shell.
    -- Debra Granik

#People #Shells #Towns

• I like to go into a little shell and be a hermit and make music for a while.
    -- Delta Goodrem

#Shells #Littles #Hermits

• What is an "I", and why are such things found (at least so far) only in association with, as poet Russell Edson once wonderfully phrased it, "teetering bulbs of dread and dream" -- that is, only in association with certain kinds of gooey lumps encased in hard protective shells mounted atop mobile pedestals that roam the world on pairs of slightly fuzzy, jointed stilts?
    -- Douglas Hofstadter

#Dream #Pedestal #Shells

• The corals do not look much worn, but still appear to have been dead. There are some delicate shells of molluscs from depths beyond 500 fathoms, where they were certainly living.
    -- Edward Forbes

#Depth #Looks #Shells

• The cries of the wounded had much diminished now, and as we staggered down the road, the reason was only too apparent, for the water was right over the tops of the shell-holes.
    -- Edwin Campion Vaughan

#War #Water #Shells

• You build a character, a shell, and if you build it right, something comes to live inside it.
    -- Elizabeth Hand

#Character #Shells

• There were big geysers coming up where the shells were landing and there were bodies floating, face down, face up.
    -- Elliot Johnson

#Memorial Day #Shells #Body

• I think I've always been half out of my shell and half in. Sometimes I can be extremely wild and sometimes I can be extremely shy. It just depends on the day.
    -- Emile Hirsch

#Thinking #Shy #Shells

• E canchis amnia. Everything from shells.
    -- Erasmus Darwin

#Shells #Evolution

• It was almost as incredible as if you fired a 15-inch shell at a piece of tissue paper and it came back to hit you.
    -- Ernest Rutherford

#Pieces #Tissue Paper #Shells

• My work is very bodily. It's not a shell, but a body.
    -- Eva Zeisel

#Shells #Body

• Apparent failure may hold in its rough shell the germs of a success that will blossom in time, and bear fruit throughout eternity.
    -- Frances Harper

#Success #Shells #May

• I'm extremely compassionate, loving, all of those warm fuzzy things, but the outer shell doesn't project that all the time.
    -- Frank Ocean

#Shells #Fuzzy #Projects

• If you pick up a golfer and hold it close to your ear, like a conch shell, and listen, you will hear an alibi.
    -- Fred Beck

#Golf #Shells #Ears

• Anybody who wears their feelings on their sleeve and has a harder, crusty shell - like I do - is definitely protecting an inner sensitivity.
    -- Fred Durst

#Feelings #Shells #Sensitivity

• If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?
    -- George Carlin

#Turtles #Naked #Shells

• The word experience is like a shrapnel shell, and bursts into a thousand meanings.
    -- George Santayana

#Shells #Thousand

• I must be the only player in the world who ever injured himself for a tournament by stepping on a shell on the beach. I don't know what I'm going to do.
    -- Goran Ivanisevic

#Beach #Player #Shells

• Oftentimes, the only evidence left behind at the scene of a shooting are bullet shell casings.
    -- Grace Meng

#Shells #Shooting #Bullets

• I had drawn away into the salt, myself, a shell emptied of life.
    -- Hilda Doolittle

#Solitude #Shells #Salt

• When the words come, they are merely empty shells without the music. They live as they are sung, for the words are the body and the music the spirit.
    -- Hildegard of Bingen

#Shells #Body #Spirit

• All those words of praise they use for novels - spare, economical. Why should I shell out £17 for economical?
    -- Howard Jacobson

#Use #Shells #Praise

• Maxim 20: If you’re not willing to shell your own position, you’re not willing to win. -The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries
    -- Howard Tayler

#Winning #Shells #Mercenary

• Walnuts have a shell, and they have a kernel. Religions are the same. They have an essence, but then they have a protective coating. This is not the only way to put it. But it's my way. So the kernels are the same. However, the shells are different.
    -- Huston Smith

#Essence #Different #Shells

• If I, this mortal shell, am going to die, let me at least live on through my creations.
    -- J. M. Coetzee

#Shells #Creation #Let Me

• People have always frightened and bored me consequently I have been within my own shell.
    -- Jackson Pollock

#People #Bored #Shells

• What is a movie star? It is an illusion. It was everything I ever wanted to be, but it became a kind of shell, non? It was what made me famous and got me women. But it wasn't real.
    -- Jean-Claude Van Damme

#Stars #Real #Shells

• And Alex understood that Scotty Hausmann did not exist. He was a word casing in human form: a shell whose essence has vanished.
    -- Jennifer Egan

#Essence #Alex #Shells

• The shell must be broken before the bird can fly.
    -- Jennifer Worth

#Broken #Bird #Shells

• Shell estimates that after 2015 supplies of easy-to-access oil and gas will no longer keep up with demand.
    -- Jeroen van der Veer

#Oil #Shells #Demand

• Lovers are not snails; they don't have to protrude from their shells and meet each other halfway. Meet me within your own self.
    -- Jerzy Kosinski

#Self #Shells #Lovers

• As an actor, you’ve got to live and learn, and you gotta just kind of form a hard shell and be confident in yourself.
    -- Jessica Stroup

#Actors #Shells #Live And Learn

• I'm a sportsman. You know, I go out clay shooting and put three shells in.
    -- Joe Manchin

#Clay #Three #Shells

• Major, send a shell first over their heads and let them get in their holes before you open with all your guns.
    -- John Bell Hood

#War #Gun #Shells

• We're in a battle for our lives for things that really matter to us. There's a shell game going on like I've never seen before.
    -- John F. Kerry

#Games #Battle #Shells

• Your art is to be the praise of something that you love. It may only be the praise of a shell or a stone.
    -- John Ruskin

#Art #Shells #May

• Conservatism is not about the party, because the party is merely the shell. It is the inside - it's the filling that really means something.
    -- Jonathan Krohn

#Party #Mean #Shells

• She saw through the shell of me into the center of me
    -- Jonathan Safran Foer

#Shells #Saws

• The trouble with Germans is not that they fire shells, but that they engrave them with quotations from Kant.
    -- Karl Kraus

#Fire #Shells #Literature

• She still felt shell-shocked by all of it, numb. Beneath the numbness, though, was a raw and terrible anger that was unlike anything she'd felt before. She had so little experience with genuine anger that it scared her. She actually worried that if she started screaming, she'd never stop.
    -- Kristin Hannah

#Numbness #Shells #Littles

• I also appreciate the lasting friendships I've made while working with our great sponsors through the years, including Miller Lite, Shell and Dodge.
    -- Kurt Busch

#Years #Appreciate #Shells

• It is easier to port a shell than a shell script.
    -- Larry Wall

#Shells #Scripts #Easier

• Convention is like the shell to the chick, a protection till he is strong enough to break it through.
    -- Learned Hand

#Strong #Shells #Protection

• Without ELF, I'm just an empty shell. I'll always love E.L.F., even if E.L.F. already forgot about SJ.
    -- Leeteuk

#Shells #Empty

• Youth is but the painted shell within which, continually growing, lives that wondrous thing the spirit of a man, biding its moment of apparition, earlier in some than in others.
    -- Lew Wallace

#Men #Shells #Growing

• Kevin was a shell game in which all three cups were empty.
    -- Lionel Shriver

#Games #Three #Shells

• I stayed there, curled up into the warmth of your body, under the blankets, like something soft in a shell. Your arms were firm as rock around me.
    -- Lucy Christopher

#Rocks #Shells #Body

• Of the crow-blue mussel shells, one keeps adjusting the ash heaps; opening and shutting itself like an injured fan.
    -- Marianne Moore

#Blue #Crow #Shells

• She did not talk to people as if they were strange hard shells she had to crack open to get inside. She talked as if she were already in the shell. In their very shell.
    -- Marita Bonner

#People #Shells #Cracks

• Problems are an important part of maturing--meet them straight on. Work them out. It's like the chick in the egg. It has to break through the eggshell on its own. That's how it gains its first strength. If you break the shell for the chick, you end up with a puny little runt.
    -- Mark Tobey

#Eggs #Important #Shells

• Stories heard but not recalled. Letters too. Words filling my head. Fragmenting like artillery shells. Shrapnel, like syllables, flying everywhere. Terrible syllables. Sharp cracked. Traveling at murderous speed. Tearing through it all in a very, very bad inreparable way.
    -- Mark Z. Danielewski

#Flying #Stories #Shells

• The car has become the carapace, the protective and aggressive shell, of urban and suburban man.
    -- Marshall McLuhan

#Men #Car #Shells

• Why did people assume that the beautiful among them needed nothing but their beauty to bring them happiness? That behind the beauty there was nothing but an empty shell, insensitive shell?
    -- Mary Balogh

#Beautiful #People #Shells

• Sadly, I part from you; Like a clam torn from its shell, I go, and autumn too.
    -- Matsuo Basho

#Autumn #Shells #Clams

• In some South Pacific cultures, a speaker holds a conch shell as a symbol of temporary position of authority. Leaders must understand who holds the conch-that is, who should be listened to and when.
    -- Max De Pree

#Leader #Listening #Shells

• If you seek the kernel, then you must break the shell. An likewise, if you would know the reality of Nature, you must destroy the appearance, and the farther you go beyond the appearance, the nearer you will be to the essence.
    -- Meister Eckhart

#Reality #Essence #Shells

• The shell must be cracked apart if what is in it is to come out, for if you want the kernel you must break the shell.
    -- Meister Eckhart

#Want #Shells #Break

• Mortals are such fragile things. Just tender feelings walking around exposed in their delicate shells...Easy to crush.
    -- Melissa Marr

#Crush #Feelings #Shells

• A man who can take anything will find most things unsatisfying. And a man without memories is just a shell.
    -- Mitch Albom

#Memories #Men #Shells

• In the case of those solids, whether of earth, or rock, which enclose on all sides and contain crystals, selenites, marcasites, plants and their parts, bones and the shells of animals, and other bodies of this kind which are possessed of a smooth surface, these same bodies had already become hard at the time when the matter of the earth and rock containing them was still fluid. And not only did the earth and rock not produce the bodies contained in them, but they did not even exist as such when those bodies were produced in them.
    -- Nicolas Steno

#Animal #Rocks #Shells

• As many as the shells that are on the shore, so many are the pains of love; the darts that wound are steeped in much poison.
    -- Ovid

#Love #Pain #Shells

• Christianity can be described as a theological materialism: It is that which transforms our material existence.  If our faith does not throw us into the arms of the world, if it does not lead to our experience of responsibility, love, celebration, and our commitment to transformation, then, whatever we call it, we have nothing but an empty shell.
    -- Peter Rollins

#Commitment #Responsibility #Shells

• We are bound to our bodies like an oyster to its shell.
    -- Plato

#Oysters #Body #Shells

• The object of our lives is to look at, listen to, touch, taste things. Without them, - these sticks, stones, feathers, shells, - there is no Deity.
    -- Reginald Horace Blyth

#Shells #Stones #Taste

• I became a real Shell Motor Oil expert, and I did this 25-minute film. It turned out really well and, as a result, they offered me more work and lots of commercials to direct.
    -- Renny Harlin

#Real #Oil #Shells

• We could see the children's toys here and there, and we saw a game that the children had made themselves out of dirt, deer antlers and abalone shells, but the game was so strange that only children could tell what it was. Perhaps it wasn't a game at all, only the grave of a game.
    -- Richard Brautigan

#Children #Games #Shells

• Those with the softest hearts build the hardest shells.
    -- Richard Paul Evans

#Heart #Shells #Hardest

• Every life deserves a certain amount of dignity, no matter how poor or damaged the shell that carries it.
    -- Rick Bragg

#Inspirational #Shells #Matter

• I definitely have come out of my shell a lot more. When you question who you are, you can't be proud of who you are. Now that I'm trying to peel off those layers and really understand who I am, I don't have anything to be shy about.
    -- Ricky Williams

#Who I Am #Trying #Shells

• One of the great natural phenomena is the way in which a tube of toothpaste suddenly empties itself when it hears that you are planning a trip, so that when you come to pack it is just a twisted shell of its former self, with not even a cubic millimeter left to be squeezed out.
    -- Robert Benchley

#Travel #Self #Shells

• What you discover about life’s shell game is that it’s hardest to follow the pea when you’re the pea.
    -- Robert Breault

#Games #Shells #Peas

• It is perhaps a more fortunate destiny to have a taste for collecting shells than to be born a millionaire.
    -- Robert Louis Stevenson

#Destiny #Taste #Shells

• Oh my friend, all that you see of me is a shell, the rest belongs to love.
    -- Rumi

#Shells

• The narcissist devours people, consumes their output, and casts the empty, writhing shells aside.
    -- Sam Vaknin

#People #Narcissistic #Shells

• I see a broken shell and I remind myself that something might have needed setting free. See, broken things always have a story, don't they?
    -- Sara Pennypacker

#Broken #Shells #Might

• Your body is a divine container that will change over your lifetime. Revel in this! Notice it! This is the way of things: the softening of the shell so the soul may emerge.
    -- Sara Wiseman

#Soul #Over You #Shells

• I want to be alone. Sympathies wasted on my hollow shell. I feel there's nothing left to fight for. No reason for a cause.
    -- Sarah McLachlan

#Fighting #Low Self Esteem #Shells