Hysteria quotes

• On stage, we just want to generate hysteria. We don't care about looking cool or posing.
    -- Ade Edmondson

#Hysteria #Care #Want

• Faith is harder to shake than knowledge, love succumbs less to change than respect, hate is more enduring than aversion, and the impetus to the mightiest upheavals on this earth has at all times consisted less in a scientific knowledge dominating the masses than in a fanaticism which inspired them and sometimes in a hysteria which drove them forward.
    -- Adolf Hitler

#Hate #Hysteria #Upheaval

• Going to the darkest place you can to make yourself really upset and adding that with the physicality and running around, you can work yourself into hysteria that way.
    -- Alexandra Daddario

#Running #Hysteria #Upset

• The nearer emotional life approaches to hysteria, to continual outward show, the less genuine it becomes. Feeling becomes equated with vehemence of expression, so that insincerity becomes permanent.
    -- Anthony Daniels

#Emotional #Expression #Hysteria

• To be loved, feelings must be rationed. To love, the doors of hysteria, fantasy, and madness may be flung open.
    -- Anton Szandor LaVey

#Doors #Hysteria #Feelings

• Everybody can do something toward creating in his own environment kindly feelings rather than anger, reasonableness rather than hysteria, happiness rather than misery.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#Hysteria #Creating #Feelings

• It may seem to your conceited to suppose that you can do anything important toward improving the lot of mankind. But this is a fallacy. You must believe that you can help bring about a better world. A good society is produced only by good individuals, just as truly as a majority in a presidential election is produced by the votes of single electors. Everybody can do something toward creating in his own environment kindly feelings rather than anger, reasonableness rather than hysteria, happiness rather than misery.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#Believe #Conceited #Hysteria

• As in all moral panics, an accusation is enough to destroy a person's life. Hysteria trumps evidence.
    -- Carol Tavris

#Hysteria #Panic #Moral

• I have cultivated my hysteria with pleasure and terror.
    -- Charles Baudelaire

#Hysteria #Pleasure #Terror

• I have cultivated my hysteria with delight and terror. Now I suffer continually from vertigo, and today, 23rd of January, 1862, I have received a singular warning, I have felt the wind of the wing of madness pass over me.
    -- Charles Baudelaire

#War #Wings #Hysteria

• One day I shall burst my bud of calm and blossom into hysteria.
    -- Christopher Fry

#Hysteria #One Day #Bud

• Besides, hysteria is only possible with an audience.
    -- Chuck Palahniuk

#Hysteria #Audience

• Hysteria is impossible without an audience. Panicking by yourself is the same as laughing alone in an empty room. You feel really silly.
    -- Chuck Palahniuk

#Silly #Hysteria #Laughing

• A bottle of wine begs to be shared; I have never met a miserly wine lover. The social emotions it generates are equidistant from the philatelist's solitary gloating and the football fan's gregarious hysteria.
    -- Clifton Fadiman

#Football #Wine #Hysteria

• When I'm saying hysteria, I'm referring to Freud, because all the women were coming to him with symptoms and seeking help, and he just called it hysteria.
    -- Cybill Shepherd

#Hysteria #Helping #Symptoms

• Dead people I could handle. They were usually beyond hysteria. This was the people-left behind part. The hard part.
    -- Darynda Jones

#Hysteria #People #Left Behind

• I spent months searching for some secret code before I realized that common sense has nothing to do with it. Hysteria, psychosis, torture, depression: I was told that if something is unpleasant it's probably feminine. This encouraged me, but the theory was blown by such masculine nouns as murder, toothache, and rollerblade. I have no problem learning the words themselves, it's the sexes that trip me up and refuse to stick.
    -- David Sedaris

#Sex #Hysteria #Psychosis

• One cannot overstate the potential for hysteria on a movie set. Everyone always acts as if making the movie is as important as eradicating malaria.
    -- Delia Ephron

#Movie #Hysteria #Important

• Every Left-wing hysteria of my lifetime has turned out to be untrue. Every single one
    -- Dennis Prager

#Wings #Hysteria #Lifetime

• Climate change is the mother of all hysterias of the Left
    -- Dennis Prager

#Mother #Hysteria #Climate

• Tell me of a right wing-induced hysteria of the last 50 years
    -- Dennis Prager

#Years #Wings #Hysteria

• Keep the people ignorant and afraid and control and power becomes a detail - a self generating byproduct of the people's hysteria.
    -- Derek R. Audette

#Self #Hysteria #People

• I lay there for three whole days, totally paralyzed. My friends helped me to the bathroom and anywhere else I needed to move; but I have very vague impressions of those days because it was a time of complete darkness for me. Somebody told me later that what I had was a form of hysteria: my body and my mid fled into paralysis. There was nothing wrong with me organically, but somewhere inside I suffered a complete breakdown.
    -- Diet Eman

#Moving #Hysteria #Darkness

• Whatever hysteria exists is inflamed by mystery, suspicion and secrecy. Hard and exact facts will cool it.
    -- Elia Kazan

#Hysteria #Facts #Mystery

• The soldier's business is to take life. For that he is paid by the State, eulogized by political charlatans and upheld by public hysteria. But woman's function is to give life, yet neither the State nor politicians nor public opinion have ever made the slightest provision in return for the life woman has given.
    -- Emma Goldman

#Hysteria #Giving #Political

• Americans continue to suffer from a notoriously short attention span. They get mad as hell with reasonable frequency, but quickly return to their families and sitcoms. Meanwhile, the corporate lobbies stay right where they are, outlasting all the populist hysteria.
    -- Eric Alterman

#Hysteria #Mad #Political

• When we had gone down there you have to remember KISS had never been to Australia. So all the hysteria of KISS that was happening in the seventies was building up in Australia. These kids were waiting seven years to see KISS. I was lucky enough to be there when we went over. We got the key to the city, it was just great.
    -- Eric Carr

#Kids #Kissing #Hysteria

• It is subversive to set up inquisitions like this, state or national, into the thoughts and consciences of Americans. . . . It is subversive for commissions like this to spread hysteria and intimidation throughout the land that Americans are afraid to sign petitions, afraid to read progressive magazines, afraid to make out checks for liberal causes, afraid to join organizations, afraid to speak their mind on public issues. Americans dare not be free citizens! This is the destruction of democracy.
    -- Florence Luscomb

#Land #Organization #Hysteria

• I'm very sceptical about some of the excesses that I regard the Milibands of this world are leading towards. When you think about it, it's all been incredibly rapid - a year, a year and a half. And it's not a concern: it's an obsession. It's something very close to hysteria.
    -- Frederick Forsyth

#Thinking #Years #Hysteria

• How can you have a reasonable debate with people who are constantly changing the panic? They are moving the panic to a greater wave of hysteria?
    -- Greg Gutfeld

#Moving #Hysteria #People

• You have to go back to the Children's Crusade in 1212 AD to find as unfortunate and fatuous an attempt at manipulated hysteria as the Women's Liberation Movement.
    -- Helen Lawrenson

#Children #Women #Hysteria

• Like every girl, I only need to look up and a little to the right of me to see the hysteria that belongs to me, the one that hangs om a hook like an empty jacket and flutters with disappointment that I cannot wear her all the time. I call her my hysteric, and this personal hysteric of mine is designer made (though I'm not sure who made her), flattering and comfortable, attractive even, if you're around people who like that sort of thing. She is not anyone, my hysteric; she is blank, electricity dancing around a filament, singing to kill.
    -- Helen Oyeyemi

#Girl #Disappointment #Hysteria

• With all of the hysteria, all of the fear, all of the phony science, could it be that man-made global warming is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people? It sure sounds like it.
    -- James Inhofe

#Men #Hysteria #People

• The European Union and environmental advocacy groups use global warming hysteria to advance their own special agendas. The European Union recognizes any significant reduction in CO2 emissions by the United States will significantly reduce its economic output, thereby bringing it closer to the inferior output of European nations.
    -- Jay H. Lehr

#Hysteria #Special #Environmental

• There was mass hysteria in the Chess Recording Studio when I did the "Shapes of Things" solo ... they weren't expecting it, and it was just some weird mist coming from the East out of an amp.
    -- Jeff Beck

#Music #Hysteria #East

• We campaigned across the South . . . without a single catcall or boo. It was not until we got north to New York that we began to hear this from Koch, President Reagan, and then Mrs. Ferraro . . . . Some people are making hysteria while I'm making history.
    -- Jesse Jackson

#New York #Hysteria #People

• I have stood on the front lines of the health care system as a doctor, patient and concerned parent. Those experiences have served as my guideposts throughout the struggle to reform America's health care system. And it's those same experiences that tell me that fear and election hysteria should not overshadow the reality of reform.
    -- Jim McDermott

#Struggle #Reality #Hysteria

• When you live in hysteria, people start thinking emotionally.
    -- John Mellencamp

#Thinking #Hysteria #People

• I was caught up in the hysteria during the Vietnam era, which was brought about through Marxist propaganda underlying the so-called peace movement.
    -- Jon Voight

#Hysteria #Vietnam #Movement

• There had to be a hysteria and a fear sent through America in order to get increased war budgets.
    -- Julius and Ethel Rosenberg

#War #Order #Hysteria

• Has there ever been an age so rife with neurotic sensibility, with that state of near shudders, or near hysteria, or near nausea, much of it induced by trifles, which used to belong to people who were at once ill-adjusted and over-civilized?
    -- Louis Kronenberger

#Hysteria #People #Age

• ... politics are nothing but sand and gravel: it is art and life that feed us until we die. Everything else is ambition, hysteria or hatred.
    -- Louise Bogan

#Art #Ambition #Hysteria

• With the sugar market hysteria, the people are obviously worried and expect higher inflation. When this hysteria subsides, which we're probably observing, then I hope that people will also get less worried about the future of inflation.
    -- Marek Belka

#Hysteria #People #Sugar

• Even when I was a grown woman, he [Father] would leave me on the edge of hysteria in all our arguments: though I married and lived as far as I could spiritually from Bridgeport, he reduced me in a matter of hours to a wriggling child, pleading to go free.
    -- Maureen Howard

#Children #Father #Hysteria

• Hysteria and degeneration have always existed; but they formerly showed themselves sporadically, and had no importance in the life of the whole community. It was only the vast fatigue which was experienced by the generation on which the multitudes of discoveries and innovations burst abruptly, imposing on it organic exigencies greatly surpassing its strength, which created favourable conditions under which these maladies could gain ground enormously, and become a danger to civilization.
    -- Max Nordau

#Discovery #Civilization #Hysteria

• Getting older is a struggle. I always feel that just under the surface of acceptance and enjoyment of the ageing process is a terrible hysteria just waiting to burst out.
    -- Michael Sheen

#Struggle #Acceptance #Hysteria

• As history shows, childless women in America eventually provoke hysteria.
    -- Michelle Goldberg

#Women #Hysteria #America

• But was it love? The feeling of wanting to die beside her was clearly exaggerated: he had seen her only once before in his life! Was it simply the hysteria of a man, who, aware deep down of his inaptitude for love, felt the self-deluding need to simulate it?
    -- Milan Kundera

#Men #Hysteria #Self

• It seems to me a measure of the true perversity of the human race, that one of its very few reliably pleasurable activities should be the subject of so much hysteria and repression.
    -- Otto Gross

#Hysteria #Race #Should

• Wealthy Americans who benefit hugely from a system rigged in their favor react with hysteria to anyone who points out just how rigged the system is.
    -- Paul Krugman

#Hysteria #Benefits #Favors

• In fact, because of this deep desire for peace, the ruling class leaders of this land, from 1945 on, stepped up the hysteria and propaganda to drive into American minds the false notion that danger threatened them from the East.
    -- Paul Robeson

#Land #Class #Hysteria

• I wish you a wrestling match with your Creative Muse that will last a lifetime. ... I wish craziness and foolishness and madness upon you. May you live with hysteria, and out of it make fine stories - science fiction or otherwise. Which finally means, may you be in love every day for the next 20,000 days. And out of that love, remake a world.
    -- Ray Bradbury

#Mean #Wrestling #Hysteria

• We must grow out of religion. It is either bugaboo, formalism, or hysteria. Besides, what proof is there that "the churches" know more about "God" than the Cockney sentry on duty outside the camp? We have only their say-so.
    -- Richard Aldington

#Hysteria #Church #Proof

• The mob hysteria over pedophiles has reached epidemic proportions and driven parents to panic. Today's Just Williams, today's Huck Finns, today's Swallows and Amazons are deprived of the freedom to roam that was one of the delights of childhood in earlier times (when the actual, as opposed to the perceived, risk of molestation was probably no less).
    -- Richard Dawkins

#Hysteria #Epidemics #Childhood

• Cloning may be good and it may be bad. Probably it's a bit of both. The question must not be greeted with reflex hysteria but decided quietly, soberly and on its own merits. We need less emotion and more thought.
    -- Richard Dawkins

#Hysteria #Cloning #May

• I think in times of fear and hysteria in a culture, gender experimentation as it pertains to men has to go underground because it scares people too much and it's too much for people to take on. Especially when a culture is held hostage by fear and hysteria and fundamentalism.
    -- RuPaul

#Men #Thinking #Hysteria

• I'm way bigger than people think I am. I'm way bigger. I've been underrated all my life, and that's fine. I have privacy. I can walk the street without being hassled. I can be a regular guy. The price to give that up is so horrible. When you become a part of the hysteria - it's not completely in my hands - you have to hide.
    -- Rutger Hauer

#Thinking #Hands #Hysteria

• It remains an astonishing, disturbing fact that in America - a nation where nearly every new drug is subjected to rigorous scrutiny as a potential carcinogen, and even the bare hint of a substance's link to cancer ignites a firestorm of public hysteria and media anxiety - one of the most potent and common carcinogens known to humans can be freely bought and sold at every corner store for a few dollars.
    -- Siddhartha Mukherjee

#Cancer #Media #Hysteria

• We may say that hysteria is a caricature of an artistic creation, a compulsion neurosis a caricature of a religion, and a paranoiac delusion a caricature of a philosophic system.
    -- Sigmund Freud

#Hysteria #May #Neurosis

• You want the vote so badly that you think it worth while to become hysterical over it.' 'There is not much hysteria in the movement, only hysteria is the thing that strikes a hysterical press as most worthy of note.
    -- Stella Benson

#Thinking #Hysteria #Movement

• I exist in a state of almost perpetual hysteria.
    -- Sting

#Hysteria #States

• I have found it easier to identify with the characters who verge upon hysteria, who were frightened of life, who were desperate to reach out to another person. But these seemingly fragile people are the strong people really.
    -- Tennessee Williams

#Strong #Character #Hysteria

• Art is our defense against hysteria and death.
    -- Theodore Roethke

#Art #Hysteria #Defense

• I held a conference in Harvard where Americans said they didn't believe in risk. They thought it was just European hysteria. Then the terrorist attacks happened and there was a complete conversion. Suddenly terrorism was the central risk.
    -- Ulrich Beck

#Believe #Hysteria #Risk

• One always writes comedy at the moment of deepest hysteria.
    -- V. S. Naipaul

#Writing #Hysteria #Comedy

• Rock 'n Roll is monotony tinged with hysteria.
    -- Vance Packard

#Music #Rocks #Hysteria

• NASA should be at the forefront in the collection of scientific evidence and debunking the current hysteria over human-caused, or Anthropogenic Global Warming (AGW). Unfortunately, it is becoming just another agency caught up in the politics of global warming, or worse, politicized science.
    -- Walter Cunningham

#Agency #Hysteria #Becoming

• or The Last Exorcism, I researched a lot of real exorcisms. I watched videos of exorcisms, I listened to tapes, and I read actual accounts of priests' logs. I also looked at a lot of the physicality. I would look into fits of hysteria and look at energies of people in manic, hysteric fits.
    -- Ashley Bell

#Real #Hysteria #People

• There's only one thing worse than not paying attention to girls in gangs - it's paying attention to girls in gangs. The public reaction to girls and women who engage in nontraditional behavior - the hysteria that often surrounds girls in these groups - is almost as interesting as the behavior itself.
    -- Meda Chesney-Lind

#Girl #Hysteria #Interesting

• I believe in anything that causes mass hysteria in children.
    -- Robby Takac

#Children #Believe #Hysteria

• Hysteria means the same thing with either laughter or tears.
    -- Tim Sandlin

#Laughter #Mean #Hysteria

• Christianity was an epidemic rather than a religion. It appealed to fear, hysteria and ignorance. It spread across the Western world, not because it was true, but because humans are gullible and superstitious.
    -- Colin Wilson

#Ignorance #Epidemics #Hysteria

• I have long suspected that the power of speech is not a power at all, but a mere form of hysteria from which the living that really know the truth never suffer because they do not fear life or death as we do and can afford to be calm and silent. The frailest flower that blooms knows that it will rise from the dead in the next season's sun, breathe, feel again the dew and rain. Therefore these little ones make no such tragedy as we do of death.
    -- Corra May Harris

#Rain #Flower #Hysteria

• Global warming is the most prominent form of mass hysteria raging across the world today.
    -- Doug Casey

#Hysteria #Today #World

• Global warming hysterics generally have limited scientific knowledge, and of geology and meteorology in particular. Their belief is not science; it's more akin to religion. The main epicenter of hysteria is not the scientific community but seems to be Hollywood.
    -- Doug Casey

#Hysteria #Community #Hollywood

• I believe, AGW is simply a kind of collective hysteria with no basis in science.
    -- Roger Helmer

#Believe #Hysteria #Kind

• We are now at the point in the age of global warming hysteria where the IPCC global warming theory has crashed into the hard reality of observations.
    -- Roy Spencer

#Reality #Hysteria #Age

• As with Three Mile Island, the hysteria of the media and the political class over the Deepwater spill is likely to lead to increased risk and adverse environmental tradeoffs.
    -- Steven F. Hayward

#Class #Hysteria #Islands

• Donald Trump is using an age-old trick of right wing populism, much like George Wallace, much like Joe McCarthy, Pitchfork Ben Tillman who in the 1880s and `90s was a rabid hateful racists who whipped up hate and hysteria for his own political benefit.
    -- Keith Ellison

#Hate #Wings #Hysteria