Scotch quotes

• An appreciation of prose is learned, not instinctive. It is an acquired taste, like Scotch whisky.
    -- Abigail Padgett

#Appreciation #Scotch #Taste

• I started drinking Scotch just to be a man.
    -- Adam Brody

#Drinking #Men #Scotch

• I'm after a snake and please God I'll scotch it.
    -- Adam Hochschild

#Scotch #Snakes #Please

• Fey...a Scotch word...It means the kind of exalted happiness that comes before disaster. You know--it's too good to be true.
    -- Agatha Christie

#Mean #Scotch #Fey

• I, on the other hand, believe that books, maps, scissors, and Scotch tape dispensers are all unreliable vagrants, likely to take off for parts unknown unless strictly confined to quarters.
    -- Anne Fadiman

#Believe #Book #Scotch

• Whoever said laughter is the best medicine had clearly never tasted scotch.
    -- Anne Taintor

#Laughter #Scotch #Medicine

• I don't mind growing old. If I have to go before my time, this is how I'll go-- cigarette in one hand, glass of scotch in the other.
    -- Ava Gardner

#Scotch #Glasses #Hands

• And we'd drink huge amounts of scotch and coke, which is a ghastly sweet drink... And now people don't drink nearly as much, for good reason. We're all a little wiser.
    -- Bill Bruford

#Sweet #Scotch #People

• In college I took a class from a professor who changed my whole life. I can't really remember what his name was, or what the class was, or even which college it was, but I found that if you sit behind a really tall guy and kind of slouch down in your chair you can drink Scotch right from the bottle and not get caught.
    -- Bill Ervin

#College #Scotch #Class

• Jimmy used to drink liquor. Now he's running for president and he drinks Scotch, and I've never trusted a Scotch-drinker.
    -- Billy Carter

#Running #Scotch #President

• The Scotch catechism says that man's chief end is 'to glorify God and enjoy Him forever.' But we shall then know that these are the same thing. Fully to enjoy is to glorify. In commanding us to glorify Him, God is inviting us to enjoy Him.
    -- C. S. Lewis

#Men #Scotch #Forever

• If God had meant for me to be religious, he would have alphabetized the books of the Bible. It was just too hard for me to find what I was looking for, especially if I was looking for it through a few glasses of scotch.
    -- Cathie Pelletier

#Religious #Book #Scotch

• So what are you planning to do with the rest of your life? Develop a drinking problem. More Scotch, please.
    -- Daniel Silva

#Drinking #Scotch #Alcohol

• I mulled over what he had told me as I savored the Scotch. Not bad, really - like a beer that's been in a brawl.
    -- David Justice

#Beer #Scotch

• I loved sitting on my veranda sipping quality scotch, puffing a Cuban cigar and watching Cuba on the horizon, or the oceanic vista. Did this late in the evenings many times.
    -- Dirk Benedict

#Scotch #Quality #Cuban Cigars

• But even with no money you could still go to places like the Scotch Club and, you know, John Lennon might be sitting right over there, but I was certainly not a part of any of that circle. I was truly peripheral.
    -- Donald Sutherland

#Scotch #Circles #Sitting

• Bonnie and Clyde became not just a big hit, but a movie that went through young audiences like a first slug of Scotch. It affected clothes, talk, manners. Though set in the thirties it had the feeling of 1966, the most dangerous moment in American young people remembered.
    -- Edward Jay Epstein

#Scotch #Clothes #People

• The Yankee: In acuteness and perseverance, he resembles the Scotch. In frugal neatness, he resembles the Dutch. But in truth, a Yankee is nothing else on earth but himself.
    -- Frances Trollope

#Perseverance #Scotch #Yankees

• I love to sing, and I love to drink scotch. Most people would rather hear me drink scotch.
    -- George Burns

#Music #Scotch #People

• The remedy now is two scotches and an aspirin, I think.
    -- Harry Sinden

#Hockey #Thinking #Scotch

• The whole [Scotch] nation hitherto has been void of wit and humour, and even incapable of relishing it.
    -- Horace Walpole

#Scotch #Void #Humour

• I was brought up to believe that Scotch whisky would need a tax preference to survive in competition with Kentucky bourbon.
    -- Hugo Black

#Believe #Scotch #Kentucky

• I should never have switched from Scotch to Martinis.
    -- Humphrey Bogart

#Halloween #Bad Ass #Scotch

• My God, so much I like to drink Scotch that sometimes I think my name is Igor Stra-whiskey.
    -- Igor Stravinsky

#Thinking #Scotch #Names

• There's nothing quite like a Scotch education. One is left with an irreparable debt. My head is full of irregular verbs still.
    -- Ivor Cutler

#Scotch #Scotland #Verbs

• What, then, is this new man, the American? They are a mixture of English, Scotch, Irish, French, Dutch, Germans, and Swedes. From this promiscuous breed, that race, now called Americans, have arisen.
    -- J. Hector St. John de Crevecoeur

#Men #Scotch #Race

• The only thing better than one of my songs is one of my songs with a glass of scotch.
    -- Jackie Gleason

#Song #Scotch #Glasses

• You can do a lot with Scotch tape. Almost anything! I love that you can hem a dress, and its an instant remedy in a fashion crises.
    -- Jennifer Garner

#Fashion #Scotch #Dresses

• It's not good to throw back scotch with a new fetus.
    -- Jessica Simpson

#Pregnancy #Scotch #Fetus

• Giving up my scotch? My Macallan 18? That was hard for me! Though now that doesn't even sound good, being pregnant. You crave other things. A big thing of water sounds great!
    -- Jessica Simpson

#Mom #Giving Up #Scotch

• Whenever someone asks me if I want water with my scotch, I say, I'm thirsty, not dirty.
    -- Joe E. Lewis

#Drinking #Dirty #Scotch

• Allison Winn Scotch is the real deal and The Department of Lost and Found is one you absolutely won't want to miss.
    -- Johanna Edwards

#Real #Scotch #Missing

• From the time of the North Briton of the unprincipled Wilkes , a notion has been entertained that the moral spine in Scotland is more flexible than in England. The truth however is, that an elementary difference exists in the public feelings of the two nations quite as great as in the idioms of their respective dialects. The English are a justice-loving people, according to charter and statute; the Scotch are a wrong-resenting race, according to right and feeling: and the character of liberty among them takes its aspect from that peculiarity.
    -- John Galt

#Character #Scotch #Race

• I wanna get drunk 'til I'm off my mind. One bourbon, one scotch, and one beer.
    -- John Lee Hooker

#Beer #Scotch #Drunk

• We could say that people who eat grits, listen to country music, follow stock-car racing, support corporal punishment in the schools, hunt 'possum, go to Baptist churches and prefer bourbon to Scotch are likely to be Southerners.
    -- John Shelton Reed

#Country #School #Scotch

• Awesome! I'd just bullied Jesus into doing a shot with me. Nobody would ever believe it, but I didn't care. We ordered the insanely expensive stuff, seventy-five dollars for a 1.75-ounce pour of premium Irish whiskey, because if you're doing a shot with Jesus, you don't buy him scotch.
    -- Kevin Hearne

#Jesus #Believe #Scotch

• If there's a God out there, then i would hope he has more important things to attend to than my drinking scotch or eating pork.
    -- Khaled Hosseini

#Drinking #Scotch #Important

• Yeah, tell me I'm a bottle of single malt scotch, she thought. That's the way to my heart.
    -- L. J. Smith

#Heart #Scotch #Romance

• Why don’t you come up and have a little ... scotch and sofa?
    -- Mae West

#Scotch #Littles #Sofas

• I always take Scotch whiskey at night as a preventive of toothache. I have never had the toothache; and what is more, I never intend to have it.
    -- Mark Twain

#Drinking #Night #Scotch

• Cuban cigars are an acquired taste, like Scotch whisky. If you're not used to them, you'll get a headache, you'll find them much too strong. But to a cigar connoisseur, a longtime smoker, if you have a well-made, well-aged one, there is nothing like a Cuban cigar. Getting them is the ultimate mission; any cigar lover would do anything
    -- Marvin Shanken

#Strong #Scotch #Cuban Cigars

• Had I been brighter, the ladies been gentler, the Scotch been weaker, had the gods been kinder, had the dice been hotter, this could have been a one-sentence story: Once upon a time I lived happily ever after.
    -- Mickey Rooney

#Scotch #Once Upon A Time #Stories

• I was mainly raised by a working mum who didn't have much time or inclination for making food. So I had three or four basic meals: fish fingers and a tomato; a packet scotch egg and a tomato; pasta with a tin of tomatoes; and extra mild plastic-y cheddar chopped into cubes with bits of cucumber.
    -- Paloma Faith

#Eggs #Scotch #Meals

• I'm all in favor of getting grants for musicians. Or any other good brand of Scotch.
    -- Pepper Adams

#Music #Scotch #Favors

• One good thing about rain in Scotland. Most of it ends up as scotch.
    -- Peter Alliss

#Rain #Scotland #Scotch

• Deploring change is the unchangeable habit of all Englishmen. If you find any important figures who really like change, such as Bernard Shaw, Keir Hardie, Lloyd George, Selfridge or Disraeli, you will find that they are not really English at all, but Irish, Scotch, Welsh, American or Jewish. Englishmen make changes, sometimes great changes. But, secretly or openly, they always deplore them.
    -- Raymond Postgate

#Scotch #Important #Sometimes

• For God's sake bring me a large Scotch. What a bloody awful country.
    -- Reginald Maudling

#Country #Scotch #Awful

• I'm not interested in creating a book that is read once and then placed on the shelf and forgotten. I am very happy when people have worn out my books, or that they're held together by Scotch tape.
    -- Richard Scarry

#Book #Creating #Scotch

• It was the sort of house that glows with substance and savoir vivre in those advertisements for the best Scotch. It had wonderful bones.
    -- Robert A. Metzger

#Scotch #House #Substance

• Give me a scotch, I'm starving.
    -- Robert Downey, Jr.

#Scotch #Giving #Starving

• If things were half as bad as some people persist in believing, I'd have retired with a bottle of Scotch and a pistol a long time ago.
    -- Robert Maxwell

#Believe #Scotch #People

• You mix two jiggers of Scotch to one jigger of Metrecal. So far I've lost five pounds and my driver's license.
    -- Rocky Bridges

#Two #Scotch #Pounds

• I'm half Scotch-Irish on both sides, and when I lose my temper-brother, I go.
    -- S. J. Perelman

#Brother #Scotch #Sides

• I enjoyed every bit of the evening. I may not drink scotch or smoke a cheroot again, but I shall always cherish the fact that I did those things. The adventure is well worth the disappointing experience.
    -- Sarah MacLean

#Adventure #Scotch #May

• Vodka eyeballing sounds great, but it's a slippery slope. Next, you'll be scotch nostriling, tequila nippling and, before you know it, Jager tainting.
    -- Stephen Colbert

#Scotch #Next #Slippery Slope

• In Canada we have enough to do keeping up with two spoken languages ... so we just go right ahead and use English for literature, Scotch for sermons, and American for conversation.
    -- Stephen Leacock

#Two #Scotch #Literature

• I've been on the whisky diet - I've already lost three days!
    -- Tommy Cooper

#Scotch #Three #Whiskey

• A scotch buzz is the best buzz in the world.
    -- Trey Parker

#Scotch #Buzz #World

• Mendelssohn never wrote any Water Music. However, he wrote the Scotch Symphony, which is even better, or at least stronger.
    -- Victor Borge

#Music #Symphony #Scotch

• The Scots (originally Irish, but by now Scotch) were at this time inhabiting Ireland, having driven the Irish (Picts) out of Scotland; while the Picts (originally Scots) were now Irish (living in brackets) and vice versa. It is essential to keep these distinctions clearly in mind (and verce visa).
    -- W. C. Sellar

#Scotland #Scotch #Mind

• Scotch whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples.
    -- Warren Ellis

#Morning #Angel #Scotch

• If I were not French I would choose to be - Scotch.
    -- Wilfrid Laurier

#Scotch

• Well, between Scotch and nothin', I suppose I’d take Scotch. It’s the nearest thing to good moonshine I can find.
    -- William Faulkner

#Scotch #Moonshine #Wells

• I don’t want any of this artificial superficial feeling stimulated by the choir. Today I have proved myself a glutton—​for Scotch oatmeal cookies and erotic thought. There is nothing left to say of me.
    -- Flannery O'Connor

#Scotch #Oatmeal #Erotic

• I like to think of myself as some of the Scotch tape that holds things together - I'm very handy to have around. But all that actors really need is a bare stage. Lighting is just one of the luxuries of the theater.
    -- Jean Rosenthal

#Thinking #Scotch #Luxury

• If someone opens a glorious Scotch or a bottle of wine, it's no more than a whimsy, but after nearly 40 years I'm used to it. I don't find it difficult not being drunk when other people are, but I get uncomfortable because they're uncomfortable with where I am.
    -- Martin Shaw

#Wine #Scotch #Years

• People who leave their cars on the street with tape covering their broken windows are obviously too trusting. I mean, when your car did have glass for a window, someone broke into it. How is tape any more of a deterrent? What are the thieves going to say? Ooh, that like looks like duct tape, we can't beat that. Let's look for one with scotch or masking.
    -- Aaron Karo

#Mean #Scotch #Glasses

• I drink a lot, probably too much. My scene while writing lyrics is always a bottle of scotch and stacks of note cards, pencil and pencil sharpener. I throw around note cards and drink.
    -- Ben Folds

#Writing #Scotch #Cards

• I went to the butchers to buy a leg of lamb. "Is it Scotch?", I asked. "Why?" the butcher said in reply. "Are you going to talk to it or eat it?". "In that case, have you got any wild duck?". "No", he responded, "but I've got one I could aggravate for you."
    -- Chic Murray

#Funny #Humor #Scotch

• The image of the reporter as a nicotine-stained Quixote, slugging back Scotch while skewering city hall with an expose ripped out of a typewriter on the crack of deadline, persists despite munificent evidence to the contrary.
    -- Paul Gray

#Typewriters #Cities #Scotch