Elderly quotes

• I remember once having to stop performing when I thought an elderly man a few rows back from the front was actually going to die because he was laughing so hard.
    -- Ade Edmondson

#Men #Elderly #Laughing

• Children have a fastidiousness that time is slow to cure. It is to be wondered, for example, whether if the elderly were half as hungry as children are they would yet find so many things at table to be detestable.
    -- Alice Meynell

#Children #Elderly #Example

• the best classroom in the world is at the feet of an elderly person.
    -- Andy Rooney

#Education #Elderly #Feet

• The Europeans have lots of data on the use of adjuvanted flu vaccine in the elderly, but I dont think anybody has really good data on adjuvants in children.
    -- Anthony S. Fauci

#Children #Thinking #Elderly

• Raking over the past and sifting its dust is an occupation for the idle or the elderly retired.
    -- Armand Hammer

#Work #Past #Elderly

• When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong. Perhaps the adjective 'elderly' requires definition. In physics, mathematics, and astronautics it means over thirty; in the other disciplines, senile decay is sometimes postponed to the forties. There are, of course, glorious exceptions; but as every researcher just out of college knows, scientists of over fifty are good for nothing but board meetings, and should at all costs be kept out of the laboratory!
    -- Arthur C. Clarke

#Mean #College #Elderly

• There is only one inborn erroneous notion that we exist in order to be happy So long as we persist in this inborn error the world seems to us full of contradictions. For at every step, in great things and small, we are bound to experience that the world and life are certainly not arranged for the purpose of maintaining a happy existence hence the countenances of almost all elderly persons wear the expression of disappointment.
    -- Arthur Schopenhauer

#Disappointment #Errors #Elderly

• If you want to write something of length, however modern and radical, you must live the life of an elderly gentleman of the 1950s.
    -- Arthur Smith

#Live Life #Writing #Elderly

• Theres no such thing as ageing gracefully. I dont meet people who want to get Alzheimers disease, or who want to get cancer or arthritis or any of the other things that afflict the elderly. Ageing is bad for you, and we better just actually accept that.
    -- Aubrey de Grey

#Cancer #Elderly #People

• Obscenity is whatever happens to shock some elderly and ignorant magistrate.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#Elderly #Umpires #Ignorant

• The way the elderly are treated, and in some cases warehoused and medicated, rather than nurtured and listened to, is distressing.
    -- Bill Nighy

#Elderly #Way #Cases

• Many Americans are unaware that we still have a large population of working families, elderly, and children who rely on emergency food pantries, shelters, and other resources to meet their nutritional needs.
    -- Blanche Lincoln

#Children #Elderly #Population

• When Ive ridden in parades, I always throw to the kids, the elderly and anyone who is smiling and having a great time. I try to make eye contact with the person. If you catch a ton and a kid nearby hasnt caught much, share.
    -- Bryan Batt

#Kids #Eye #Elderly

• As pressure grows to ease the financial burden on social security, pressure will also grow to eliminate the elderly and infirm to 'free up' more money for the 'fit' and those who contribute more than they take from society.
    -- Cal Thomas

#Elderly #Ease #Pressure

• I say the law should be blind to race, gender and sexual orientation, just as it claims to be blind to wealth and power. There should be no specially protected groups of any kind, except for children, the severely disabled and the elderly, whose physical frailty demands society's care.
    -- Camille Paglia

#Children #Elderly #Law

• Nobody with an IQ higher than emergency-room temperature could ever believe that 'death panels' would be appointed to nudge the elderly toward euthanasia. Yet for idle entertainment, it's hard to beat Sarah Palin's ignorant nattering on the subject.
    -- Carl Hiaasen

#Believe #Elderly #Ignorant

• An inebriated elderly gentleman in the last depths of shabbiness... played the calm and virtuous old men.
    -- Charles Dickens

#Men #Elderly #Gentleman

• "What is the most beautiful word in the language?" The elderly lawyer quickly replied: "Home."
    -- Chauncey Depew

#Beautiful #Home #Elderly

• I've done signings where elderly people will line up to get photos with me and ask me to sign things. They don't even pretend it's for their grandkids. They're like, 'No, it's for me.'
    -- Chris Lilley

#Elderly #People #Done

• Age-based retirement arbitrarily severs productive persons from their livelihood, squanders their talents, scars their health, strains an already overburdened Social Security system, and drives many elderly people into poverty and despair. Ageism is as odious as racism and sexism.
    -- Claude Pepper

#Retirement #Elderly #Racism

• Why can't we build orphanages next to homes for the elderly? If someone were sitting in a rocker, it wouldn't be long before a kid will be in his lap.
    -- Cloris Leachman

#Home #Kids #Elderly

• If Copenhagen were a person, that person would be generous, beautiful, elderly, but with a flair. A human being that has certain propensities for quarrelling, filled with imagination and with appetite for the new and with respect for the old - somebody who takes good care of things and of people.
    -- Connie Nielsen

#Beautiful #Elderly #People

• Poverty is clearly one source of emotional suffering, but there are others, like loneliness. A policy to reduce the loneliness of the elderly would certainly reduce suffering.
    -- Daniel Kahneman

#Loneliness #Emotional #Elderly

• A commonplace of political rhetoric has it that the quality of a civilization may be measured by how it cares for its elderly. Just as surely, the future of a society may be forecast by how it cares for its young.
    -- Daniel Patrick Moynihan

#Elderly #Civilization #Political

• If it wasn't a chaotic scene, if it was an orderly evacuation, we would be able to give you specifics about what our preferences would be, such as evacuating first the disabled, then the elderly and infants. That would of course be our preference. But the reality on the scene does not permit that. We're going to do the best we can with the resources we have.
    -- David Catania

#Reality #Elderly #Giving

• ...it's as empty as a merchant's soul. Sorry, Kheldar, it's just an old expression." "That's all right, Beldin," Silk forgave him grandly. "These little slips of the tongue are common in the very elderly.
    -- David Eddings

#Sorry #Elderly #Expression

• At this point two elderly security guards in parkas, the guys who normally work the front desk at the plant, asked John to step behind the tape. John claims that here he told the guards that he could not speak English and when that failed to persuade them, he fa...ked a violent seizure. I am unclear as to the purpose of this part of his plan. John flung himself down and began rolling around in the snow, thrashing his limbs about and screaming “EL SEIZURE!!! NO ES BUENO!!!” in a Mexican accent.
    -- David Wong

#Two #Elderly #Snow

• Sometimes [the expression] old age has a kind of harrowing beauty. But elderly - ugh!
    -- Dodie Smith

#Elderly #Expression #Age

• A lot of kids do look up to us. But there are just as many elderly people to put us down.
    -- Donnie Wahlberg

#Kids #Elderly #People

• People, workers, the elderly, all these people I see with sympathy and affection. These are the people who have fought the battle of life and who now and then show the hard work and the frustration ...It's all about human activity, it's truth, and we all get there.
    -- Duane Hanson

#Hard Work #Frustration #Elderly

• My first job was when I was about 12, cleaning houses in the afternoons for different elderly women in town. I hated it.
    -- Elizabeth Strout

#Jobs #Elderly #House

• The House of Lords is a model of how to care for the elderly.
    -- Frank Field

#Elderly #House #Care

• I've personally demanded that tyrants let their people go. I've tried to feed the hungry, clothe the poor, protect the elderly and infirm, and defend the needy from the aggressively greedy. I've led a blessed life. What a kick for a kid from the projects.
    -- Gary Ackerman

#Blessed #Kids #Elderly

• Some writing and production projects will be a great way to spend my elderly rock years.
    -- Geddy Lee

#Writing #Rocks #Elderly

• Suddenly here was this somewhat roly-poly elderly, northern Italian peasant on the chair of Saint Peter and he was accessible - and he made himself accessible, he went to prisons, he went to hospitals, he went to the shrine of Loreto.
    -- George Weigel

#Italian #Elderly #Shrines

• In fact, Social Security is the only source of income nationwide for 29 percent of unmarried elderly women.
    -- Ginny Brown-Waite

#Women #Elderly #Facts

• Don't let the politicians chip away at the New Deal and the Great Society programs like Social Security and Medicare, that puts a floor beyond which the elderly, the sick, the powerless do not starve or lack for medicine or shelter.
    -- Helen Thomas

#Elderly #Medicine #Sick

• Old age is wasted on the elderly: the young know what to do with it-insist on something different.
    -- Herbert Gold

#Elderly #Age #Different

• From my observation, the older you get, the more you like the word cozy. That's why most of the elderly wear pants with elastic waistbands. If they wear pants at all. This may explain why grandparents are in love with buying grand kids pajamas and bathrobes.
    -- Holly Goldberg Sloan

#Kids #Elderly #Grandparent

• The way we treat our children in the dawn of their lives and the way we treat our elderly in the twilight of their lives is a measure of the quality of a nation.
    -- Hubert H. Humphrey

#Children #Twilight #Elderly

• But I like going to church. If you've been brought up in the Church of England, it feels like visiting an elderly relative. And I think it's important that part of the kids' education is knowing about the Bible.
    -- Jack Dee

#Kids #Thinking #Elderly

• Everybody welcome-especially elders who smoke.
    -- Jacob de Jager

#Elderly #Welcome #Elders

• The task of youth is not only its own salvation but the salvation of those against whom it rebels, but in that case there must be something vital to rebel against and if the elderly stiffly refuse to put up a vigorous front of their own, it leaves the entire situation in a mist.
    -- Jane Addams

#Elderly #Rebel #Tasks

• If I were mayor, I'd invite everyone to have free boat trips on the river and free balloon rides over the city. I'd let the elderly in residential homes wander free.
    -- Jane Birkin

#Home #Elderly #Cities

• She wasn't the only one to be physically morphed by reader expectation. Miss Havisham was now elderly whether she liked it or not, and Sherlock Holmes wore a deerstalker and smoked a ridiculously large pipe. The problem wasn't just confined to the classics. Harry Potter was seriously pissed off that he'd have to spend the rest of life looking like Daniel Radcliffe.
    -- Jasper Fforde

#Elderly #Expectations #Missing

• Women are more verbal than men. That's why when you see an elderly couple together, it's always the man who has the hearing aid.
    -- Jeff Stilson

#Couple #Men #Elderly

• There are many rules for the elderly in the Highway Code. I have one too, and here it is: get a bloody move on.
    -- Jeremy Clarkson

#Moving #Elderly #Highways

• Your tax dollars are being used to pay for grade school classes that teach our children that CANNIBALISM, WIFE-SWAPPING, and the MURDER of infants and the elderly are acceptable behavior.
    -- Jesse Helms

#Children #School #Elderly

• No matter how old you get, if you can keep the desire to be creative, you're keeping the man-child alive.
    -- John Cassavetes

#Children #Men #Elderly

• A collection of short stories is generally thought to be a horrendous clinker; an enforced courtesy for the elderly writer who wants to display the trophies of his youth, along with his trout flies.
    -- John Cheever

#Elderly #Trout #Stories

• The elderly have so much to offer. They're our link with history.
    -- John Cusack

#Elderly #Links #Aging

• Germany, I think, was first to substitute a Social Security program for its elderly based on this premise, that is, that we would tax workers to pay retirement benefits for those retired.
    -- John Shadegg

#Retirement #Thinking #Elderly

• How about no income tax at all on people over 65? People would continue working, remain healthier, not be an economic and social drain on society. Then the elderly would also have more disposable income to help charitable activities.
    -- John Templeton

#Optimistic #Elderly #People

• Like all good citizens, the elderly and people with disabilities want to eradicate waste and fraud from government, but helping people with special needs meet their basic needs doesn't fit this description.
    -- Joni Eareckson Tada

#Government #Elderly #People

• ...my little blurb wasn't going to win me any speaker-of-the-year awards, but at least I hadn't tripped and fallen off the stage, crushing and killing three elderly jazz fans.
    -- Jordan Sonnenblick

#Crush #Winning #Elderly

• It is strange how the elderly fall silent when they ought to go on speaking, obliging the young to learn everything from scratch.
    -- Jose Saramago

#Fall #Elderly #Scratches

• The Republicans want to turn Medicare into a voucher plan that will end guaranteed coverage of medical bills for the elderly.
    -- Juan Williams

#Elderly #Want #Bills

• Anything that we can do to improve the lives of elderly people is welcome so far as I am concerned.
    -- Judi Dench

#Elderly #People #Welcome

• Beside him a tiny elderly woman was leaning on a cane, studying him with curiosity. Since good manners seemed to require that he speak to her, Jon cast about for some sort of polite conversation pertinent to the occasion. “I hate funerals, don’t you?” He said. “I rather like them,” she said smugly. “At my age, I regard each funeral I attend as a personal triumph, because I was not the guest of honor.
    -- Judith McNaught

#Hate #Elderly #Funeral

• Was it the case that colours dimmed as the eye grew elderly? Or was it rather that in youth your excitement about the world transferred itself onto everything you saw and made it brighter?
    -- Julian Barnes

#Eye #Elderly #Saws

• Let me be clear - I want all Louisiana citizens to have choice - including the elderly and persons with disabilities - and their families - who rely on the state for their care.
    -- Kathleen Blanco

#Elderly #Choices #Louisiana

• Sure I'm for helping the elderly. I'm going to be old myself some day.
    -- Lillian Gordy Carter

#Elderly #Age #Helping

• When elderly invalids meet with fellow-victims of their own ailments, then at last real conversation begins, and life is delicious.
    -- Logan Pearsall Smith

#Real #Elderly #Lasts

• I am not in love with you," she said. "It is an infatuation. I have heard of such derangements happening to elderly spinsters.
    -- Loretta Chase

#Love You #Elderly #Infatuation

• Young people...have more compassion and tenderness toward the elderly than most middle-aged adults. Nothing--not avarice, not pride, not scrupulousness, not impulsiveness--so disillusions a youth about her parents as the seemingly inhumane way they treat her grandparents.
    -- Louise J. Kaplan

#Pride #Compassion #Elderly

• In winter the very ground seemed to reach up and grab the elderly, yanking them to earth as though hungry for them.
    -- Louise Penny

#Winter #Elderly #Earth

• Reticence may be an elderly doctrine to preach, yet from the artistic point of view I am sure it is a sound one. Reticence conduces to effect, blatancy ruins it.
    -- M. R. James

#Elderly #Views #Sound

• A healthy community is one in which the elderly protect, care for, love and assist the younger ones to provide continuity and hope.
    -- Maggie Kuhn

#Elderly #Community #Healthy

• I don't think films about elderly people have been made very much.
    -- Maggie Smith

#Thinking #Elderly #People

• It's true I don't tolerate fools but then they don't tolerate me, so I am spiky. Maybe that's why I'm quite good at playing spiky elderly ladies.
    -- Maggie Smith

#Elderly #Fool #Tolerate

• Social Security is one of the greatest achievements of the American government, protecting our elderly against poverty and assuring young people of a more secure future.
    -- Mark Foley

#Elderly #Government #People

• Almost all my middle-aged and elderly acquaintances, including me, feel about 25, unless we haven't had our coffee, in which case we feel 107.
    -- Martha Beck

#Coffee #Elderly #Middle

• The majority of the Negroes who took part in the year-long boycott of Montgomery's buses were poor and untutored; but they understood the essence of the Montgomery movement; one elderly woman summed it up for the rest. When asked after several weeks of walking whether she was tired, she answered: "My feet is tired, but my soul is at rest.
    -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

#Tired #Elderly #Years

• From watching Lester (Flatt), I learned that it's important to be loyal to the people who made you and bought your music. He called me up to the front of the (tour) bus on the very first trip I went on with him. Lester pointed out two elderly people who were walking towards the but. He said, 'Those two people have been coming to see me since the mid 40's. That's what a country fan is all about.'
    -- Marty Stuart

#Country #Elderly #Two

• as all women know, there are really no men at all. There are grown-up boys, and middle-aged boys, and elderly boys, and even sometimes very old boys. But the essential difference is simply exterior. Your man is always a boy.
    -- Mary Roberts Rinehart

#Boys #Men #Elderly

• Humor keeps the elderly rolling along, singing a song. When you laugh, its an involuntary explosion of the lungs. The lungs need to replenish themselves with oxygen. So you laugh, you breathe, the blood runs, and everything is circulating. If you dont laugh, youll die.
    -- Mel Brooks

#Running #Song #Elderly

• I was in Korea. I've noticed all my life I see elderly people who have been close to death in an illness and they're absolutely cured and they say, now I know how to live my life. I've seen death. That happened to me when I was 19. It was a terrible, terrifying thing. And I live my life like those people decided to do when they were old. So, since I was 19, I've had the most fun possible every single day, even when I had a rough life. It was the army which taught me about life, and the theater which taught me how good it could be.
    -- Michael Caine

#Fun #Army #Elderly

• When you saw the movie "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," that was Michael [Jackson]'s story write large. Born as an elderly person, Benjamin Button was, in the F. Scott Fitzgerald novel and in the film starring Brad Pitt, he dies as a newborn child. Michael Jackson's childhood was one of enormous, prodigious production.He was a child prodigy, he was a wunderkind.
    -- Michael Eric Dyson

#Children #Writing #Elderly

• Everybody gets sick; everybody has had a problem with insurance or the prescription drugs they're supposed to be taking or an elderly parent who needs care.
    -- Michael Moore

#Elderly #Sick #Parent

• If you could meet your grandkids as elderly citizens in the year 2100 … you would view them as being, basically, Greek gods… that's where we're headed.
    -- Michio Kaku

#Views #Years #Elderly

• To those seniors, and especially elderly veterans like myself, I want to tell you this: You are not alone, and you having nothing to be ashamed of. If elder abuse happened to me, it can happen to anyone. I want you to know that you deserve better.
    -- Mickey Rooney

#Senior #Veterans Day #Elderly

• Traditionally, Medicare's assurance has been that for the elderly and persons with disabilities that they will not be alone when confronted with the full burden of their health care costs.
    -- Mike Fitzpatrick

#Elderly #Cost #Care

• My whole childhood was like: Work hard, be quiet, respect elderly people, respect your parents, and just be unobtrusive.
    -- Mindy Kaling

#Hard Work #Elderly #People

• It's one of the best programs I've ever seen because it benefits both sides: children, who need love, and grandparents, elderly people, who need to feel wanted.
    -- Nancy Reagan

#Children #Elderly #Grandparent

• The evening before my departure for Blithedale, I was returning to my bachelor-apartments, after attending the wonderful exhibition of the Veiled Lady, when an elderly-man of rather shabby appearance met me in an obscure part of the street.
    -- Nathaniel Hawthorne

#Book #Men #Elderly

• Also, though not over-elderly, he was not over-young.
    -- Nikolai Gogol

#Elderly #Young #Gogol

• Our basic audience begins with creaking elderly types of twenty-three and above.
    -- Paul Desmond

#Music #Elderly #Three

• In our families we learn to love and to recognise the dignity of all, especially of the elderly
    -- Pope Francis

#Elderly #Dignity #Our Family

• Every child who, rather than being born, is condemned unjustly to being aborted, bears the face of Jesus Christ, bears the face of the Lord, who even before he was born, and then just after birth, experienced the world’s rejection. And every elderly person…even if he is ill or at the end of his days, bears the face of Christ. They cannot be discarded, as the ‘culture of waste’ suggests!
    -- Pope Francis

#Jesus #Children #Elderly

• Just as the commandment 'Thou shalt not kill' sets a clear limit in order to safeguard the value of human life, today we also have to say 'thou shalt not' to an economy of exclusion and inequality. Such an economy kills. How can it be that it is not a news item when an elderly homeless person dies of exposure, but it is news when the stock market loses two points?
    -- Pope Francis

#Elderly #Order #Two

• A population that does not take care of the elderly and of children and the young has no future, because it abuses both its memory and its promise.
    -- Pope Francis

#Memories #Children #Elderly

• Today, elderly people are discarded when, in reality, they are the seat of wisdom of the society...the right to life means allowing people to live and not killing, allowing them to grow, to eat, to be educated, to be healed, and to be permitted to die with dignity.
    -- Pope Francis

#Mean #Reality #Elderly

• No elderly person should be like an “exile” in our families. The elderly are a treasure for our society.
    -- Pope Francis

#Elderly #Treasure #Our Society

• A society which abandons children and the elderly severs its roots and darkens its future.
    -- Pope Francis

#Children #Roots #Elderly

• Human life, the person is no longer perceived as a primary value to be respected and protected, especially if poor or disabled, if not yet useful - such as the unborn child - or no longer needed - such as the elderly.
    -- Pope Francis

#Children #Elderly #Unborn Child

• Take care of brothers and sisters who are weaker ... the elderly, the sick, the hungry, the homeless and strangers, because we will be judged on this.
    -- Pope Francis

#Brother #Elderly #Sick

• It is a mortal sin to discard the elderly.
    -- Pope Francis

#Elderly #Sin #Mortal Sin

• How can it be that it is not a news item when an elderly homeless person dies of exposure, but it is news when the stock market loses two points? This is a case of exclusion.
    -- Pope Francis

#Two #Elderly #Exclusion

• People who don't cherish their elderly have forgotten whence they came and whither they go.
    -- Ramsey Clark

#Relationship #Elderly #People

• While journalists cannot right every wrong, champion every cause or fix every problem, they can - through the written word - lift someone's burden for a day, make some elderly woman on a bus smile or let them know they are noticed by someone.
    -- Regina Brett

#Elderly #Champion #Causes